• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link for higher tier?

koloblican11763

Smash Apprentice
I have been just back onto the smash boards for a few days and I have been starting to notice some crazy things some of my fellow Link players are starting to do, or starting to do better. I don't know if I have been blind to other characters becasue I love Link, but what I do know is that I am seeing Link become better and better played. First I'd like to thank all the people that have givin him a beter name. From 8000 and HDL to Aniki and Germ, I think they are all the most awsome contributions to this characters rep. If anyone has anything to say as to their thoughts on if Link has a good chance for higher tiers or has any compliments for the players that truely define this character, please post here.

Skler

Smash Master
Link shouldn't be moved up. He's not that bad, but he can't really hold his own against the top tiers. Besides, he's great for low tier tournies!

Sheik Prowless

Smash Cadet
link should definitly be on a higher tier he ***** marth with his projectiles and he also has great combos a long ranged grab but the only down side is his speed

Deva

Smash Lord
The only way Link could be higher tier is if players stopped maining Fox, Falco, Shiek, and C.Falcon at tourneys. Most Players don't know how to play against these characters as Link and get *****, which is why Link is where he is. Tiers mean nothing though. Your skill as a player determines how well Link fares in a Tourney.

NovA™

Smash Apprentice
I think Link should be moved up a little in the tier list, I main Link and think this way because of the fact he is a pretty **** good character if played right, true he lacks speed but then again his projectiles, combo potential and a lot of damage based moves make him a worthy enough character to be moved up a little bit in the tier list. This is how I see it, Mario should be moved to Link's spot, Link in Ganon's and Ganon in Mario's. Link deserves atleast to be in Mid Tier, and if they wont move mario down, then just move Link to the bottom of the Mid Tier. If nothing happens, then hell yeah LOW TIER FTW, and LINK is broken in low tier battles : )

Profanity

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BHC-Prof
I play Link a lot, and I love whippin' *** with him as a low tier character. It just means more when you win.

Why care where he is on the list? In my opinion, the lower the better.

Shmooguy

Smash Champion
I just picked up Link and I dominate everybody cuz he's so awesome. Except I'm not good at recovering with him (need to learn2sweespot better w/ hookshot).

However, he still gets ***** by anyone decently faster than him (fox, falco, sheik, falcon) which like, every other player mains or can at least use well enough to beat Link. If everyone played Marth, Peach, Jiggly, and Mario then maybe he'd be aright. Oh yeah, anyone who can outspam him also owns him (see samus and y.link who he should **** but he can't cuz he's so slow). So that's quite a lot of people who can **** him AND are way too commonly used. Plus if your opponent is at all worthy of fighting and can L-cancel every time then you pretty much can't use up-B out of shield that much.

Other than that, Link absolutely owns. Most fun character ever, plus you can be a little ***** and camp the **** out of everybody.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
Link is fine right where he is. His two problems are major and the reason why everyone below him is where they are too.
Reason 1: Link gets ***** by the high tiers, the only match-up that's really in his favor is Link vs Peach.
Reason B: Link gets combo'd by everyone and their mothers. Self-explanatory.

But I totally dig where Link is on the Tiers List, it makes the victory all the sweeter.

Micahc

Smash Ace
Meh, I always thought that he should be low on the mid tier, but it's nothing to major. He's fine where he is.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
ithink he should be moved up one spot for the sake of taking him out of low tier tournies because he ***** everyone in there

Skler

Smash Master
Does he **** EVERYONE in low tier? Seeing how he has a disadvantage against young Link and some other close matches. Besides, if he went up somebody would come down. The G-man would **** everybody in low tier, no questions asked.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
doesnt mean someone has to go down >_>

also young link just has spamming on him relly, link still outranges and outlasts him plus young link has like the worst fastfall which means its pretty hard to approach decently.

lol, what close matches does he have aside from maybe young link, Roy? cuz he gets ***** too

Skler

Smash Master
The low/bottom tier is made up of the worst half of the characters. If Link moved up somebody else would move down, somebody who DOES **** all in low tier.

About Link's low tier matchups. Young Link is a disadvantage, DK is a close match (stage dependent). Luigi is close. Some of the others can still put up a decent fight, picking Link doesn't = win in a low tier tourny, or else everybody would use Link in low tier.

Compare Link in low tier to Fox in regular tournaments. Then realize Fox has no matches where he is at a real disadvantage (he has a few even ones and Falco on certain stages). Aside from Marth, Falco and Shiek who isn't at a disadvantage to Fox?

Profanity

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BHC-Prof
I still fail to see why this is an issue. You think Aniki gives a **** where Link is on the tier list? I think not. Matchups don't have mutch to do with the tier list, except that characters like Fox match up well against Everyone.

Link is still fine to use when the situation calls for him, regaurdless of where he is on the 'toopid' list.

CQue tHe Sunn

Smash Journeyman
if you want him to go up on the US tier list, do better in tournaments with him. since if you all didnt know that is the way the tier list was decided. TOURNAMENT RESULTS. when you think about it, on japans tier list; if they have one, link would be really high because of aniki.

but its not like a characters position on the tier list has any direct influence on the outcome of the match. since the tier list doesnt influence matches outcomes, its the other way around. the matches outcomes influence the tier list. link being higher or lower doesnt make him better or worse. its your skill level

so its like i said. do better with him in tournaments and he'll probably go up some.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
As far as match ups go, we can just consult the FANTASTIC chart made by Phanna (http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=92025), which shows us that Link has trouble against Y.Link and Ness. And Phanna is a smart guy, so I trust him to give me some well-though out advice. That, and I've had a lot of trouble against Nesses that know what they're doing. You can't land in front of OR behind Ness cuz he can just shffl a bair or a fair depending on the situation... and his upB eats the chain recovery.

For a tiers list, here's the current tiers list:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=81928&highlight=tiers+list

Deva

Smash Lord
Check out this matchup list from NJ'sFinest. He really does know what he's talking about.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=88516

BTW, the only way Ness would have an advantage over Link is if Link didn't spam projectiles. I mean unless The link just kept using shffles I don't see how Ness's fair and bair could do anything.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
Ness' fair blocks bombs, he uses arrows stuck in the ground to yyg, and can harass Link's recovery with pk thundah. But that's just my thoughts on what Ness can do to the projectile, it's still a freaking hard fight for Ness against a good Link.

SLH

Smash Journeyman
why does it matter? the character doesn't change, you lose bragging rights of playing a low tier character, you can't enter low tier tournaments.

that and link sucks and in all honesty, doesn't deserve to be moved up.

TANORI

Smash Journeyman
The place in the tier does not matter, but Link can kick *** on the upper tiers, Fox is so easy to combo its nearly ridicuolus you only need to land 2 hits and after that the combos are just so easy to do, Marth you can easily keep him at bay with some boms and good use of the boomerang, captain falcon its nothing against link i mean if he comes at you you just sex kick him or plain stop him with a bomb, Falco is nearly the same as fox (talkin about comoing them).

Top Bottom