• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

link and ike lover

Smash Lord
NNID
Thegodlink
Hey guys I just wanted to introduce myself to the Link community,

I'm Tshadow a fellow Link player with very little Competitive experience, wanting to learn more how to play link better, I've only played LNIM hopping to play some of you and get better so I can represent Link in my country, I'm from the Dominican Republic.

Ive used Link since 64 heheehhe :D
Hello once again. :D And I hope you stay. Also things get weird here. So I hope you survive
Also you should check this out: , www.xat.com/LinkSmashers
Just a place where us Link mains chill

Last edited:

Tshadow7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tshadow7
Hello once again. :D And I hope you stay. Also things get weird here. So I hope you survive
Hahahaha Thanks and yeah Ive read the last few pages, but Ill do my best to survive remember a true Link main never quits

Ill do my best to behave :D

Also @ link and ike lover link and ike lover man your really young and play really strong online, have you ever been in an offline tournament, or have you thought about appear in one ?

I mean your Link is really good and solid

and thanks for the Xat chat :D looking forward to chill with you guys

Last edited:

link and ike lover

Smash Lord
NNID
Thegodlink
Hahahaha Thanks and yeah Ive read the last few pages, but Ill do my best to survive remember a true Link main never quits

Ill do my best to behave :D

Also @ link and ike lover link and ike lover man your really young and play really strong online, have you ever been in an offline tournament, or have you thought about appear in one ?

I mean your Link is really good and solid
Thx m8. Also your link is great too! Just trying to represent Link man. Team Link :D. And as soon as i get my drivers license. Im going to a offline tourney.
upload_2015-8-6_9-55-31.jpeg

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Finally getting the hang of the back-throw fakeout bombslide inputs. I can do it almost consistently now. :) All that's left now is to utilize it mid-match. Hopefully I can attend a tournament while I'm here in Jersey/near New York.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Man I really feel spoiled here whenever I try and find crap on other character forums.

Thank you guys for keeping it organized and clean here as much as possible

Last edited:

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
You should've seen us in our heyday. We held the keys to Link's metagame, it's a shame Brawl was such a bad time.
Ah, yes, I remember the painful times in Brawl all too well... In all honestly, it's great to see others who pulled through despite that multiyear setback.

Context is everything. On one hand, this is the social, on the other, it's also the only thread on the board we keep open not exclusively dedicated to doing work. It is the only place we have to rip into one another when appropriate that does not derail another, important, thread.
Aye, that is a good point to mention, now that you do.

At the end of most of these scuffles things go back to the status quo. We've frequently had vets here rip into one another as a matter of course, it's what we do. This community does not operate like most sanitized online Common Interest Hugboxes. We behave like real people, real friends. We laugh, we fight, we staunch our bloody noses and shake hands at the end.
Sounds good on paper, but I'm still rather dubious with the execution. Communication is two-way, after all. Sure, it's fine to say that the ribbing is meant in good fun, but that doesn't preclude misinterpretation of one's intent. And it certainly doesn't prevent anyone from growing hesitant to post in the first place.

And in the context of this being the Link boards, this is actually all quite tame. I can think of a grand total of four people on this entire site who have earned themselves a life time pass to Stay The Hell Outsville™, four. Only one of them has posted in this social in the last 15 pages or so. He's banned. Anyone else, anyone who we've ripped into and flamed and trolled remains welcome.
This is actually rather comforting to hear. Although, then again, a particularly-persistent pessimist like me could interpret that as a request for punching bags to not become sentient.

Abide the rules.
Don't intentionally sow discord.
Don't spread misinformation.
Since you've repeated this twice, I'll go ahead and make this a mantra and commit it to memory, then.

Even Izaw, who is a popular target for community disapproval for what can be perceived as egocentric behaviour, always has a free pass to come back here, and has done so in the past and even been treated well. (When he isn't posting a ****ing Sheik video on the ****ing Link boards. ****.)
Oh, yeah, I remember that! Still not sure what was up with that, seriously...

Then he's open to criticisms, Unknown Hero has been posting her since the release of Smash4, and he knows what the culture is. He's also a victim of his own obliviousness. We've told him time and again to do what he wants and play what feels good. It's a recurring issue with him that has apparently rubbed raw with a few members. C'est la vie. Even so, as Zane the Patience outlined, he's welcome to stick around. It'd be nice if he read more than one post above his own before replying, however.
Open to constructive criticism, sure. That I'm perfectly fine with. But "constructive" is the complete opposite of what I'd call some of the posts decrying him in the first place. Not to ignore the posts you've mentioned giving him advice and supporting his choice--those are fine! It's the other ones, the ones devoid of any sort of meaningful information whatsoever beyond flaming for the sake of such.

In an echo chamber situation I wouldn't be addressing you, oh foul dissenter. The social is the only thread on the board which is open season, and when dealing with the Link mains, people know what to expect, especially people who have been here for some time. We're not sensitive, and we don't filter ourselves, but we are not close minded. What would be the point of promoting such an uncensored dialogue among the members here if we weren't listening to each other speak?
...You know, that's a very good point. Touche! I concede the "echo chamber" comment.

EDIT: Actually, I take it back. "We don't filter ourselves" is quite a bold claim, especially since it runs counter to one of my previous arguments. People do filter themselves. I do it just by lurking, and I'm willing to bet others have, too. The fact that there's even a little bit of self-censorship in that regard lends credence to my claim. Unless, of course, your own claim has sufficient evidence that the boards are as inclusive as you imply.

If you lack that little floppy green hat, then you're free to post and hang out, but we will not change for you. And I think this is the thing that bothers people about us. We are not willing to change our ways for them. It's been a frequent frustration for this community to have people without that floppy hat come to our board and demand we change how we behave to suit their needs.
And so we demand that they change? I don't mean to imply any disrespect toward this community's adamance toward changing their ways, but that sounds like having your cake and eating it, too. Perhaps the ribbing and such in good spirit would be fine if it weren't borderline compulsory.

No. We do the work, if you wish to benefit from it, you will have to tolerate our culture in the process.
All of that aside, even visitors with no experience dealing with us tend to be treated well in this thread so long as they don't disrespect our community.
Very well. If I had at any point expressed disrespect for this community, I apologize. However. If the community expects others to tolerate this sort of culture, then it had better expect constant valid criticism in kind, which has been my goal here. And it's been received with mixed results, obviously, but thank you, Shin, for your respectful counters. Much appreciated!

Anyone who believes you're safe from everything here just because its social is an idiot.
The point of contention isn't whether or not people should be immune to what happens here. It's whether or not it's justified given the circumstances. You did bother reading everything that's been written, right? Don't spread misinformation by setting up straw men.

Last edited:

ama99

Smash Journeyman
Ah, yes, I remember the painful times in Brawl all too well... In all honestly, it's great to see others who pulled through despite that multiyear setback.

Aye, that is a good point to mention, now that you do.

Sounds good on paper, but I'm still rather dubious with the execution. Communication is two-way, after all. Sure, it's fine to say that the ribbing is meant in good fun, but that doesn't preclude misinterpretation of one's intent. And it certainly doesn't prevent everyone from growing hesitant to post in the first place.

This is actually rather comforting to hear. Although, then again, a particularly-persistent pessimist like me could interpret that as a request for punching bags to not become sentient.

Since you've repeated this twice, I'll go ahead and make this a mantra and commit it to memory, then.

Oh, yeah, I remember that! Still not sure what was up with that, seriously...

Open to constructive criticism, sure. That I'm perfectly fine with. But "constructive" is the complete opposite of what I'd call some of the posts decrying him in the first place. Not to ignore the posts you've mentioned giving him advice and supporting his choice--those are fine! It's the other ones, the ones devoid of any sort of meaningful information whatsoever beyond flaming for the sake of such.

...You know, that's a very good point. Touche! I concede the "echo chamber" comment.

And so we demand that they change? I don't mean to imply any disrespect toward this community's adamance toward changing their ways, but that sounds like having your cake and eating it, too. Perhaps the ribbing and such in good spirit would be fine if it weren't borderline compulsory.

Very well. If I had at any point expressed disrespect for this community, I apologize. However. If the community expects others to tolerate this sort of culture, then it had better expect constant valid criticism in kind, which has been my goal here. And it's been received with mixed results, obviously, but thank you, Shin, for your respectful counters. Much appreciated!

The point of contention isn't whether or not people should be immune to what happens here. It's whether or not it's justified given the circumstances. You did bother reading everything that's been written, right? Don't spread misinformation by setting up straw men.
I'm just gonna say one thing, and leave it at that.

No one cares.

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
I'm just gonna say one thing, and leave it at that.

No one cares.
Since you didn't even bother trying to address what I've said, I don't care, either. Funny how that works.

Last edited:
Not going to address your entire post because it seems we see eye to eye in the more important places, so repetition is clutter.

EDIT: Actually, I take it back. "We don't filter ourselves" is quite a bold claim, especially since it runs counter to one of my previous arguments. People do filter themselves. I do it just by lurking, and I'm willing to bet others have, too. The fact that there's even a little bit of self-censorship in that regard lends credence to my claim. Unless, of course, your own claim has sufficient evidence that the boards are as inclusive as you imply.
In this instance I'm talking about the regulars. Most of us share whatever our thoughts are in this thread without hesistation. I suppose that doesn't apply to semi-regulars and lurkers who are more hesitant to speak up, but that doesn't mean the option is not there for them to do so.
No, we demand only that they follow the mantra. If they don't want to rib, fine, most posts here get by without a backlash. They don't need to change, but when they're in our house, it's our rules. Take your shoes off, etc.

You're welcome. To my knowledge, you've done nothing particularly disrespectful. You might misunderstand us at times but c'est la vie. I don't think that's anything that can't be solved.

The goal, and from where I'm sitting, the result, of this culture is efficiency. It is not exclusionary, it only seems that way at times because we do not check ourselves when we deem something as out of line.

We're also fairly resentful to fair-weather players and people who are conscious of tier. The vets, anyway. In our eyes if you want to play Link it's as simple as "****ing play Link and stop caring about who's good, why else are you here?" Brawl might've made us a bit angrish on the subject.

I don't need strawmen, and I don't deal in fallacies. I have frequently evaluated my actions against my reason. First we'd need to establish what determines "justified". There's no parameters established, it's just people with no filter in the no filter thread having a pile of cause and effect with each other.

It'll pass, it always does.

Since you didn't even bother trying to address what I've said, I don't care, either. Funny how that works.
Now you're getting it.

Last edited:

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
If not for Zelda Classic, I wouldn't have ran into amazing things like Hero of Dreams. That mod is amazing enough to be considered better than most Zelda games that aren't 3D titles IMO.
I played a bit of ZC and really enjoyed doing a "3rd quest" in which I actually didn't already know where everything was. (Also, hiding the blue ring in the waterfall? Brilliant.) I also played some bad maps made with the thing, which made me appreciate the game even more. The original game could easily have been a really crappy game.

What is "Hero of Dreams"?

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
In this instance I'm talking about the regulars. Most of us share whatever our thoughts are in this thread without hesistation. I suppose that doesn't apply to semi-regulars and lurkers who are more hesitant to speak up, but that doesn't mean the option is not there for them to do so.
Yeah, I suppose that's true. The option is always there. Whether or not it's a palatable option to take is another matter, but it sounds like we agree that that particular aspect depends on one's disposition.

No, we demand only that they follow the mantra. If they don't want to rib, fine, most posts here get by without a backlash. They don't need to change, but when they're in our house, it's our rules. Take your shoes off, etc.
Good thing that most posts get by without it, but Unknown's certainly didn't. That's when the red flags came up.

You're welcome. To my knowledge, you've done nothing particularly disrespectful. You might misunderstand us at times but c'est la vie. I don't think that's anything that can't be solved.
It's definitely something I can improve on, I agree.

The goal, and from where I'm sitting, the result, of this culture is efficiency. It is not exclusionary, it only seems that way at times because we do not check ourselves when we deem something as out of line.
I guess that's a realistic enough way of putting it, especially since some of this backlash is due to a vocal minority, in retrospect.

We're also fairly resentful to fair-weather players and people who are conscious of tier. The vets, anyway. In our eyes if you want to play Link it's as simple as "****ing play Link and stop caring about who's good, why else are you here?" Brawl might've made us a bit angrish on the subject.
This is sentiment I can agree with. It's one of the few things that tie me to this board despite the atmosphere.

I don't need strawmen, and I don't deal in fallacies. I have frequently evaluated my actions against my reason. First we'd need to establish what determines "justified". There's no parameters established, it's just people with no filter in the no filter thread having a pile of cause and effect with each other.

It'll pass, it always does.
Yeah, that's true. It would just be nice if some people met halfway, is all.

Now you're getting it.
Hehe, I could get used to this.

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I played a bit of ZC and really enjoyed doing a "3rd quest" in which I actually didn't already know where everything was. (Also, hiding the blue ring in the waterfall? Brilliant.) I also played some bad maps made with the thing, which made me appreciate the game even more. The original game could easily have been a really crappy game.

What is "Hero of Dreams"?
Hero of Dreams? Go on purezc and download it. It's basically a mod you can play (sorta like a fan game) which you can find under "quests" made in the engine. There's should be a tutorial on YouTube demonstrating how to load quests.

Jestar

Prinsass of Hyrule
NNID
JML-64
Switch FC
2130-3831-9341
@ Jestar Jestar I see you lurkin', gorl. :secretkpop:
I had a feeling someone would spot me here.

I saw that smokebomb got banned (again) and decided to find out why. I found my answer reading the last few pages here. Needless to say, I'm not surprised he got banned. Again.

I will say that the last few pages were very entertaining to read that's for sure. Especially the posts made by lozjam. More specifically, that one post where he graded one of smokebomb's posts like an english professor.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364

I saw that smokebomb got banned (again) and decided to find out why. I found my answer reading the last few pages here. Needless to say, I'm not surprised he got banned. Again.

I will say that the last few pages were very entertaining to read that's for sure. Especially the posts made by lozjam. More specifically, that one post where he graded one of smokebomb's posts like an english professor.
Honestly, @ Lozjam Lozjam 's posts in general always give me a chuckle (or even a good laugh) upon reading them. Easily one of my favorite posters on the boards, alongside @ ShinTwist ScreamPaste ShinTwist ScreamPaste . haha

Lozjam

Smash Champion
I'm in a rotten mood again today.
Shhhhh Child. It will all be ok. Just sit on Uncle 'Dorf's lap, whisper the problems in my ear, and everything will be ok.
I know the sure fire way to stop depression, sadness, happiness, joy, shame, and everything in between!
BAHAHAHAHA!

If the Zelda boards ever need a cleansing, you know where to go. Merely summon me by using my name, and explain the situation. With a few butts raw from paddling and a slight upheaval, everything will be well.
BAHAHAHAHA!
Ganondorf also has other services as well. We are proficient at murdering, killing, reaping, ******, decapitating, strangling, neutering, exploding, stabbing, making tacos, annihilating, liquidating, eradicating, slaying, fixing romantic relationships, poisoning, slashing, choking, hanging, and doing your taxes!
Summon me if you need anything!
BAHAHAHA!

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Have any of you guys seen the new deadpool trailer?

Cause omg, it looks amazing!

Last edited:

Jestar

Prinsass of Hyrule
NNID
JML-64
Switch FC
2130-3831-9341
If the Zelda boards ever need a cleansing, you know where to go. Merely summon me by using my name, and explain the situation. With a few butts raw from paddling and a slight upheaval, everything will be well.
BAHAHAHAHA!
Ganondorf also has other services as well. We are proficient at murdering, killing, reaping, ******, decapitating, strangling, neutering, exploding, stabbing, making tacos, annihilating, liquidating, eradicating, slaying, fixing romantic relationships, poisoning, slashing, choking, hanging, and doing your taxes!
BAHAHAHA!
I'll keep this mind, King of the Gerudo.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
....making tacos...
BAHAHAHA!
Well, at least I know which Uncle I'll go to get rid of this Taco Bell obsession burning through my wallet lately. :p

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Shhhhh Child. It will all be ok. Just sit on Uncle 'Dorf's lap, whisper the problems in my ear, and everything will be ok.
I know the sure fire way to stop depression, sadness, happiness, joy, shame, and everything in between!
BAHAHAHAHA!
That's only funny when Shin does it.

Also

Last edited:

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
Hey guys I just wanted to introduce myself to the Link community,

I'm Tshadow a fellow Link player with very little Competitive experience, wanting to learn more how to play link better, I've only played LNIM hopping to play some of you and get better so I can represent Link in my country, I'm from the Dominican Republic.

Ive used Link since 64 heheehhe :D
Hola amigo. Aquí habemos unos pocos latinos, junto con @Elessar de Paraguay y yo de Chile. Espero que la pases bien acá, lee las reglas y diviertete...

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Hello Ladies.
I know there are some hurt butts from your spankings a while back. So, The Great Ganondorf has decided to bring one of you a very special gift.
I have a code to get $30 off of Bloodborne for the PS4 via Gamestop. Code expires at 8/9 so you ladies better be cooking up something quick. Merely PM me, and I will choose one who is worthy based off a short story or poem of how Great the Great Ganondorf is.
Best of luck to whoever participates, you are going to need it.

Last edited:

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Hello Ladies.
I know there are some hurt butts from your spankings a while back. So, The Great Ganondorf has decided to bring one of you a very special gift.
I have a code to get $30 off of Bloodborne for the PS4 via Gamestop. Code expires at 8/9 so you ladies better be cooking up something quick. Merely PM me, and I will choose one who is worthy based off a short story or poem of how Great the Great Ganondorf is.
Best of luck to however participates, you are going to need it.
Too bad I already own the game and also only played like 5 hours of it (as compared to the 300+ in DkS2)

Dark_Link05

Smash Cadet

Rizen

Smash Legend
I found this video and figured I'd see what ya'lls thoughts are on it:

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/the-hidden-love-lesson-of-zelda-and-links-relationship

I personally am kind of disappointed in the message he says is super important to take away from their relationship. "Enjoy comfortable silence with your significant other". Really? That's the hidden message? Or is there more to his rambling that I missed?
I dislike how romance is shoehorned into games that don't need it. Some games have significant plots around love/romance and that's fine but too many get a cheesy romance that could have been left out entirely. IMO most LoZ games don't have romance. Link runs around dungeon busting and that's what the games about. No need to unnecessarily complicate it.
A few LoZ games like some toon style games, SS and TP (Link+Ilia) have more plot focus on romance. That's fine. Although I find it annoying in SS, why must everything turn into a slice of life highschool drama? But that's more about my personal dislike than how well it was done.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Case in point a certain recovery item from Final Fantasy and I did like sporting gentlemen and took it to PMs where the differences were solved in a calm, relaxed, and humorous manner. You'd be utterly astounded by how many of the scuffles end exactly this way.
Yes, just a stupid misunderstanding, of course. Just proves that talking is always a much better cure than even I am... unless you die in combat.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
I dislike how romance is shoehorned into games that don't need it. Some games have significant plots around love/romance and that's fine but too many get a cheesy romance that could have been left out entirely. IMO most LoZ games don't have romance. Link runs around dungeon busting and that's what the games about. No need to unnecessarily complicate it.
A few LoZ games like some toon style games, SS and TP (Link+Ilia) have more plot focus on romance. That's fine. Although I find it annoying in SS, why must everything turn into a slice of life highschool drama? But that's more about my personal dislike than how well it was done.
In my mind it kind of parallels how people say that your main objective in the LoZ franchise is to save the princess; good Heaven that's annoying. In fact, I think the unnecessary romance part comes about because people associate Link's goal to saving a princess, similar to how Mario saves Toadstool (I feel like I'm dating myself by not calling her Peach lol).
Link's goal is usually working hard and finding a way of running damage control against an entity that (typically) has conquered the known world, is in the process of doing so, or is overwhelmingly powerful and disrupting him from an objective (such exploring, preventing Ganon's return, or returning home such as in PH, AoL, PH) and reversing the problems that have been the cause of his necessity to rise above these greater threats. Saving Zelda often happens to be more a side mission because she is often a key element to helping reverse this, though ultimately it falls on Link to directly challenge Ganon/Majora/Vaati/Dethl/other horrifying entities causing problems.

Last edited:
Top Bottom