• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Rizen

Smash Legend
BTW guys, I made into the top 10 in my national ranking using only Link.

Here is the national ranking top 50, updated to July, 29th:

As you can see, ZeRo is 22, because he has just played one tournament in our country.

ENAZ

Smash Cadet
i always have trouble with wario chomping on my landing. anyone have a good solution? they always react to my tech or airdodge and i get rekt

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
i always have trouble with wario chomping on my landing. anyone have a good solution? they always react to my tech or airdodge and i get rekt
Well if you're airdodging into the ground, that would be why you keep getting hit. Airdodging has tons of lag. In fact, landing in general has at least 2 frames of lag (4 if you do a hard landing).

Rizen

Smash Legend
I hate farming customs. I only need them for G&W, Pikachu and Olimar. It takes forever to get them all. If you want an easy time on crazy orders use the homerun bat and quick batter equipment.

ENAZ

Smash Cadet
Well if you're airdodging into the ground, that would be why you keep getting hit. Airdodging has tons of lag. In fact, landing in general has at least 2 frames of lag (4 if you do a hard landing).
the problem is, i dont have ANY options that i can think of because they shield the bombs, and read everything else

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I really miss Melee Link...
I miss my semi-spike spin attack and 4 frame nair. Also SHFFL fair approaches and uair juggles 4lyfe.

the problem is, i dont have ANY options that i can think of because they shield the bombs, and read everything else
Try resetting the neutral by falling to the ledge.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
It's supposed to be a disadvantageous position; you're supposed to get punished. There is no right option. Mix up your options and mix up the timing of your options if you're getting read. Try saving your DJ to bait out their response. If you're desperate, try footstooling them if they're shielding beneath you expecting you to throw the bomb down. In general, don't airdodge into the ground. Mix up when you'll land or when you'll aerial them by fast falling.

BaPTraPLaP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaPTraPLaP
Lol, Seagull gets some major trolling points for that. "upB the character" the commentary was good too.

I got all of G&W's customs after 2 hours of trophy rush, master/crazy orders. Now I only need Olimar and Pika's final customs.
That match was great. That one and the one with the simultaneous lost of stock by poyo and average joe twice.
Why not just play all star using those characters you get them a lot quicker and it doesn't cost gold to play.

Last edited:

BaPTraPLaP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaPTraPLaP
I already beat allstar on normal and hard and classic on 7+ with every character. :urg:
Oh my mistake, I thought you were meaning custom moves not equipment. Then trophy rush and classic is the way to go. On a side note concerning challenges that Dr.Mario trophy rush challenge is absurd almost as bad as the one pertaining to Samus.

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
You know what would a good buff for Link be? A bomb buff. Yeah, a bomb buff even if it sounds crazy. Specifically, a faster bomb pull (20 frames would be optimal) and the ability to drop a bomb while in hitstun (this can be extended to all items but it would be particularly efficient with bombs). In fact, while the faster bomb pull is obvious, the ability to drop bomb while in hitstun can make us high tier or even top tier because dropping a bomb while in hitstun means we can stop all followups from throws for example and in a metagame where shield is so strong this would be HUUUUUGE. With these buffs Link can be a strong character while still being projectile based and even different from other zoning characters since our concept would be "very good with a bomb in hand in neutral, advantage and disadvantage (neutral we have strong conditioning, zoning and punish out of shield, advantage we have combos out of a bomb hit and very good juggles) but sucks without it" which in a certain sense is already the way you should play Link but made waaaay better.
Oh but wait, Sakurai doesn't care about competitive :shades:

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I know I don't post much here but I just wanna let everyone know that I have to re add you if you were previously on my friend list. My FL was getting too full so I just decided to delete everyone and add anyone who wants to play with me in the future (A.K.A. now)

my NNID is "HarryTheChin" same as my username here on smashboards

thanks for reading :)

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
You know what would a good buff for Link be? A bomb buff. Yeah, a bomb buff even if it sounds crazy. Specifically, a faster bomb pull (20 frames would be optimal) and the ability to drop a bomb while in hitstun (this can be extended to all items but it would be particularly efficient with bombs). In fact, while the faster bomb pull is obvious, the ability to drop bomb while in hitstun can make us high tier or even top tier because dropping a bomb while in hitstun means we can stop all followups from throws for example and in a metagame where shield is so strong this would be HUUUUUGE. With these buffs Link can be a strong character while still being projectile based and even different from other zoning characters since our concept would be "very good with a bomb in hand in neutral, advantage and disadvantage (neutral we have strong conditioning, zoning and punish out of shield, advantage we have combos out of a bomb hit and very good juggles) but sucks without it" which in a certain sense is already the way you should play Link but made waaaay better.
Oh but wait, Sakurai doesn't care about competitive :shades:
Where have you been? Living under a rock? We already had the ability to throw bombs while in hitstun and it was patched out.

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
Where have you been? Living under a rock? We already had the ability to throw bombs while in hitstun and it was patched out.
3DS days? If yes, I wasn't around at the time. I imagine it was cool man. Reliable combo breaker for the win if it worked at the first frame you were sent in hitstun. Shame they patched that out.

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
3DS days? If yes, I wasn't around at the time. I imagine it was cool man. Reliable combo breaker for the win if it worked at the first frame you were sent in hitstun. Shame they patched that out.
It was awesome. It broke comboes, allowed you to follow up after laggy attacks, and was just a great boon all around.

. . . the ability to drop bomb while in hitstun can make us high tier or even top tier . . .
Oddly enough, I don't find that particularly palatable. Bumping a character up that high sounds like a disregard for game balance to me.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Hey so just curious: do you guys use wifi or do you use a wired connection for online play?

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
The only way I will ever consider Link high tier is if Sakurai buffs Link's sword game a little. I hear his F-air got buffed a bit frame wise so he's on the right track. I'm confident he's high-mid tier right now. I'm more than happy with that though, considering Link's sad, sad past with tier lists... However, Drigo is really proving Link's worth in his region so I've got a little more hope with Link now.

@ skydogc skydogc Never use WiFi for any online gaming. There's always lag one way or another, even if only slight but WiFi is much more prone to heavy lag.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
^Seriously buffing Link's jab to frame 5 alone would make him rise a few places.
Oh my mistake, I thought you were meaning custom moves not equipment. Then trophy rush and classic is the way to go. On a side note concerning challenges that Dr.Mario trophy rush challenge is absurd almost as bad as the one pertaining to Samus.
I did mean custom moves. You can get them from any mode that gives rewards.
For the Dr.Mario challenge equipment like beam sword whatever helps. Trophy rush boxes have a property where strong enough attacks will break several touching the box that got hit too so running and Usmashing, even with bad range like Dr.Mario's, is a good strategy.
Hey so just curious: do you guys use wifi or do you use a wired connection for online play?
I'm busy frequently irl and only play wifi. I have a lan adapter, which is a must imo, that's wired but it's still technically wifi with lag from signals being sent across the country.

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
^Seriously buffing Link's jab to frame 5 alone would make him rise a few places.
Completely agree. A frame 5 jab is literally the one buff I would take over anything else at this point. That's not to say Link sucks because he doesn't. But as of right now his sword game, specifically his jab, isn't where it really should be. I mean it would be fine if Link had at least one quick Marth-esque tilt (D-tilt) but Sakurai gave him a bunch of heavy hitting tilts. It's not a bad thing at all. The more kill options the better, really. But not having any fast attack that Link can safely rely on for those tight moments against the barrage of Foxes and Shieks is always going to hold him back unless Sakurai fixes it.

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
The only way I will ever consider Link high tier is if Sakurai buffs Link's sword game a little. I hear his F-air got buffed a bit frame wise so he's on the right track. I'm confident he's high-mid tier right now. I'm more than happy with that though, considering Link's sad, sad past with tier lists... However, Drigo is really proving Link's worth in his region so I've got a little more hope with Link now.

@ skydogc skydogc Never use WiFi for any online gaming. There's always lag one way or another, even if only slight but WiFi is much more prone to heavy lag.
Hey dude, hold your horses here!

I admit that my country has an interesting level in smash4, and the two best player in my region (i can't go to the capital due to economic and time problems) are very good players, even in the world (IoRi took top 32~ in evo, Tales was a worthy opponent for ZeRo in the 2014 national). BUT, my level is WAY below those two players. The rest of the people I play are not so great players, and even then I have a lot of problems with those.

If I can take a single match against IoRi, you can consider Link to be a competitive level character... Believe me, I will let you know if that ever happen...

Last edited:

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163

I admit that my country has an interesting level in smash4, and the two best player in my region (i can't go to the capital due to economic and time problems) are very good players, even in the world (IoRi took top 32~ in evo, Tales was a worthy opponent for ZeRo in the 2014 national). BUT, my level is WAY below those two players. The rest of the people I play are not so great players, and even then I have a lot of problems with those.

If I can take a single match against IoRi, you can consider Link to be a competitive level character... Believe me, I will let you know if that ever happen...
We believe in you. Now go and do it.

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
Completely agree. A frame 5 jab is literally the one buff I would take over anything else at this point. That's not to say Link sucks because he doesn't. But as of right now his sword game, specifically his jab, isn't where it really should be. I mean it would be fine if Link had at least one quick Marth-esque tilt (D-tilt) but Sakurai gave him a bunch of heavy hitting tilts. It's not a bad thing at all. The more kill options the better, really. But not having any fast attack that Link can safely rely on for those tight moments against the barrage of Foxes and Shieks is always going to hold him back unless Sakurai fixes it.
Speaking of Fox...is he still our worst MU after the nerfs or that title goes to Sheik now?

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
For those wondering why Scizor was not at Super Smash Sundays 31: The Revival, he was in Texas with Master Zenyou and others for City of Low Tiers 3. Here's the top he top 48 bracket. The competition was hard, Scizor and Hyrule Hero were both third seed in their pool so sadly their bracket wasn't what it could have been, but I hope they had a good time. They placed a very respectable 33rd (Scizor) and 25th (Hyrule Hero) out of 138 or so.

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings

You're very modest. Still, the fact that you are Top 10 is no fluke. You are putting in major work with a tough character that the general population feels isn't that great in competition. You may not be able to beat loRi. Who knows maybe you can... But regardless you've shown that you are a threat at the competitive level, even if you use a character who's not as a viable. You should be very proud of yourself.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
@ Rizen Rizen and @ A_Phoenix_Down A_Phoenix_Down
See, oddly I've been using a lan adapter up until yesterday when I located to a new area that I can't use my lan adapter on. I'm suddenly getting less lag than I was before which was/is very weird. I wasn't sure if anyone else noticed that.
I know the net connection here is worse than mine at home, but hey, logic must be on a vacation too.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
@ Rizen Rizen and @ A_Phoenix_Down A_Phoenix_Down
See, oddly I've been using a lan adapter up until yesterday when I located to a new area that I can't use my lan adapter on. I'm suddenly getting less lag than I was before which was/is very weird. I wasn't sure if anyone else noticed that.
I know the net connection here is worse than mine at home, but hey, logic must be on a vacation too.
Is it a Ninty brand one or a knock off? Because the knock offs tend to bottleneck your speeds quite a bit. You can get an official lan adapter from the Nintendo website right now for about $30. That should give you improved stability and speeds equal to or better than your standard WiFi.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Is it a Ninty brand one or a knock off? Because the knock offs tend to bottleneck your speeds quite a bit. You can get an official lan adapter from the Nintendo website right now for about $30. That should give you improved stability and speeds equal to or better than your standard WiFi.
You know, that'd actually explain quite a bit. I forgot there are knockoff ones.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
This entire board deserves to be water temple'd.
I'd take that as a compliment, as all of the water temples have been among my favorites throughout the series, especially the one in OoT. How are these so confusing? Look atcha dangol' maps, ya' idgits.

Top Bottom