• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

GrayFox8983

Smash Rookie
NNID
GrayFox8983
I'm going to venture to guess that you're a fan of The Legend of Zelda, Metal Gear Solid and Yu-gi-oh? Welcome. I'll play you if you live in Europe.
Nah, I live in america, and yes. I do happen to like all three series' Nothing beats Metal Gear Solid though, imo x3 Series is so epic.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
So this boss fight in MM that people say will be changed In MM3ds... It's Twinmold, right? There's so many things wrong with that fight i'd be surprised if it doesn't get altered in some sort of fashion.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
So this boss fight in MM that people say will be changed In MM3ds... It's Twinmold, right? There's so many things wrong with that fight i'd be surprised if it doesn't get altered in some sort of fashion.
No, I think it has to be Gyorg. Twinmold was not bad at all, it just had a little bit of a strain on the N64, that will not be a problem on the 3DS. Gyorg was one boss that was legitimately flawed, especially to those who were playing it for the first time

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
No, I think it has to be Gyorg. Twinmold was not bad at all, it just had a little bit of a strain on the N64, that will not be a problem on the 3DS. Gyorg was one boss that was legitimately flawed, especially to those who were playing it for the first time
I hated gyorg *so* much :mad:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Since we are talking tier placing I'll throw in my cents:

Link is nowhere near top or high. He is low tier at best. He has bad matchups against the top and high tiers just as in brawl. There are also some absolutely terrible matchups like Sonic, Fox, Sheik and ROB. There is as far as I can tell no matchup where Link is dominant.

People who want to main Link succesfully in smash 4 should pickup where the brawl Link metagame ended, playing smart. Link's tools are not boomerang, bombs or arrows. It is baits, conditioning and reads. We need exceptional spacing and zoning. We need matchup knowledge and experience. And above all we need tournament experience. If you want to join the link metagame this is where you start:

http://nintendodojo.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=151914
We all know that Link is amazing in this game. Don't diss your own main for the sake of dissing a tier list. That argument is very counterintuitive. Bad MUs aren't an argument because the meta has yet to develop fully, so please tell me who is it that said all of those MUs are terribad for Link in the first place. Namely Sonic and ROB. If vanilla bombs and rang don't work, what about custom bombs and rangs? I've never seen anyone say Link was low tier up until now, so I question your credibility.

If Link really is low tier, then why have we been boasting about how good he is? Don't think that I'm aggressing towards you or anything. Your post just makes me very nervous. I really don't want to go through another game maining yet another mediocre Link. I just hope you're over exaggerating. If it's only based on what you believe, then your argument is irrelevant and holds no ground besides the fact that we should always play smart (which is the case for any character).

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Link is lower mid tier at worst. I can think of a ton of characters that are worst than Link. Gay, Zelda, Mii Swordsman, Charizard, Olimar, Game and Watch, and Samus comes to mind. And that's all from the top of my head! Link has plenty of tools to do well in tournaments.
In other news, I posted this before, but I see credence to post it again. Seeing as a huge Zelda fanbase is here. There is a Zelda Wii U "leak" circulating on GameFAQ's? Take a massive mound of salt with this, but some of the ideas are interesting... ZeldaInformer actually puts this leak in a correct manner. Saying it is only a theory. Nonetheless, it is interesting.
http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/f...-interesting-story-and-progression#.VKCTGXkKA

Rizen

Smash Legend
Good work Foxy.

I'm with LoZjam on Link's ranking. He's not high tier but is better than several characters. We need to learn SSB4 Link and stop trying to play him like Brawl (or at least I do).
Interesting leak.

What's wrong with Twinmold or Gyorg? Other than Gyorg being a giant fish which is a lame concept for a boss :/

T25XL

Smash Journeyman
I play link just like in brawl, and it seems to work for me, not exact brawl link, but close to it.

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I'm stil predicting a 15-20 placement with 21-25 being worst case scenario. Either way, nobody on this forum uses Link for placement. We do it for the glory of the Triforce!

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I honestly can't tell if I play Link like I did in Brawl because it's been such a long time lol. But for the most part I play Sm4sh Link like PM Link minus using dash attack to approach/set up. My playstyle leans more towards aggressive and I have a decent zoning and item game as well (a lot like in PM). I love how lagless Link's Zair is in this game. He also has a deadly edge guard/gimp game especially with how safe his aerials are offstage, which I use to my advantage. I really have no idea how someone could assume that Link is low tier with the tools he has.

As for the Zelda U rumors, I would love for them to be true. They sound pretty awesome, but the language the leaker uses just doesn't seem legit. I'm hoping Dark Link comes back, even if he is just a boss. Also it would be epic to see the Ganon-like figure to fight alongside Link at some point in the story. Heck, let him learn how to use dark magic and fly. Good Ganon ftw.

And wouldn't it be nice to customize your clothing? Maybe we could earn them through side quests. Same with weapons. I'm also hoping for a long sword like the Biggoron's from OoT as one of them. I've always loved kicking ass with big swords (kinda why I play Ike and love the hell out of FDL). Or maybe even have Link be able to dual-wield if you have two swords equipped to take down fools Kirito-style (that's super unlikely, but I can dream).

Last edited:

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
Well considering that Z-air is laggier in this game than brawl, N-air and occasionally B-air are the only remotely safe aerials, his recovery still isn't the best (AKA as safe as sheik) his ledge game still carries a lot of risk. A smart opponent can whittle their way through Link's zoning little by little with the right amount of patience/reflex because of the holes left in his spam game caused by A: having to pull bombs, B: Setting and Knocking arrows, C: occasionally catching the boomerang/it not being back yet, and D: Powershielding (in theory) makes it all basically pointless.

That being said, Link is a solid character in this game who is held back by similar problems from the past (poor OoS, getting pressured by speedy SHFF-N-air characters etc.) while having major improvements that keep him in the game a lot longer than before. I feel he's a midtier character that will end up in low tier due to a high learning curve, very character specific matchup procedure, and a lack of any overwhelming advantages. Link players still have to "do work" to get wins, but the wall of nigh impossible MUs is far smaller this time around.

But then again I must repeat, the game is young and any number of discoveries down the line could invalidate or vindicate any of this, so until then the jury is still out.

On another note, A lot of JRPG protagonists could learn a thing or two from Leo

Rizen

Smash Legend
Well considering that Z-air is laggier in this game than brawl, N-air and occasionally B-air are the only remotely safe aerials, his recovery still isn't the best (AKA as safe as sheik) his ledge game still carries a lot of risk. A smart opponent can whittle their way through Link's zoning little by little with the right amount of patience/reflex because of the holes left in his spam game caused by A: having to pull bombs, B: Setting and Knocking arrows, C: occasionally catching the boomerang/it not being back yet, and D: Powershielding (in theory) makes it all basically pointless.

That being said, Link is a solid character in this game who is held back by similar problems from the past (poor OoS, getting pressured by speedy SHFF-N-air characters etc.) while having major improvements that keep him in the game a lot longer than before. I feel he's a midtier character that will end up in low tier due to a high learning curve, very character specific matchup procedure, and a lack of any overwhelming advantages. Link players still have to "do work" to get wins, but the wall of nigh impossible MUs is far smaller this time around.
Yeah the nerf to landings hurt Link's game.
His recovery isn't the best but it's mid (B) tier and characters don't have outrageous recoveries like in Brawl.
http://smashboards.com/threads/recovery-rankings.381244/
As for Zoning, remember TL was a high tier in Brawl but not any faster than Link, he just had better mobility. Now Link has much better mobility. I'm not saying Link is high tier but he has much better spacing. We need to stop thinking like Brawl Link with small boxed in, landing canceling spacing and move around more. Space from farther, safer distances. Other characters' spamming and camping was nerfed. Link Foxy said, the system favors characters like Link because more commitment to air dodges and shields. Link has, relatively, a much better spamming/camping game now.
I think bombs are more accessible in SSB4. They seem to be pulled faster and the explosions not hurting Link if the bomb hits the opponent makes them a very, VERY good spacing tool.

Link still doesn't have a good OoS but bombs OoS are better from not launching Link and he has a much safer roll and jump OoS. He can escape, unlike in Brawl. Grab is much less committing too.
I think Link players need to play keep away and threaten the opponent with time outs for pressure. We need to think differently than Brawl. IMO Link's biggest weakness is his lack of KO setups. He'll need to read, intercept and frame trap opponents for KOs. Link seems maybe upper mid tier to me. The tiers are much closer than in Brawl too.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Link feels a lot better in this game than Brawl but he's definitely not at the top. He's solid; he feels like upper mid tier material to me, but he's definitely not as good as the top characters. You still need to play smart and with that chip on your shoulder since Link's still not gonna just be outmuscling anyone for a win.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
!!! I've been pranked...
Just got my butt handed to me by @link and ike lover. I experienced input drops for the first time, and he managed to play well through the lag (props man). I'm blaming the drops on the fight pad, so I'm switching to Gamepad/Pro Controller to see if I get better results. I think I'm more comfortable with that layout anyways because of the 3ds.

!!! I've been pranked...
Just got my butt handed to me by @link and ike lover. I experienced input drops for the first time, and he managed to play well through the lag (props man). I'm blaming the drops on the fight pad, so I'm switching to Gamepad/Pro Controller to see if I get better results. I think I'm more comfortable with that layout anyways because of the 3ds.
Oh, my oh my, how could such a thing happen? Surely the culprit is far from here by now, fleeing in fear of your retribution. Surely.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Hmmmm. HMMMMMM......
Fi is telling me there's a 33% chance the "culprit" is from the Link boards. I would disregard this probability, but 80% of my posts have been made here, so...
I have the suspects in mind. Not gonna say who, but one in particular seems highly likely..

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Hmmmm. HMMMMMM......
Fi is telling me there's a 33% chance the "culprit" is from the Link boards. I would disregard this probability, but 80% of my posts have been made here, so...
I have the suspects in mind. Not gonna say who, but one in particular seems highly likely..
He already said it was fake, it's over. Then there was me who hoped it was true. I knew it was probably fake, but I sort of really hoped it wasn't. PM me who you think it is though... It would be really cool if one of our members were creative to do this, and catch the eye of so many people. I helped spread it, because I love speculation in these things and the ideas sounded awesome! So I would like to talk and pick the leakers brain, because that would generate some awesome discussion.

Hmmmm. HMMMMMM......
It's Elessar isn't it?

Rizen

Smash Legend
Does anyone know what the fairy bottle does in all star?
I keep getting stage-screwed in all star. The devil lady popped out of the easel on the gamer stage, wtf?!

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Does anyone know what the fairy bottle does in all star?
I keep getting stage-screwed in all star. The devil lady popped out of the easel on the gamer stage, wtf?!
the fairy bottle heals you for 100 points, but only if your damage is over 100%

Rizen

Smash Legend
the fairy bottle heals you for 100 points, but only if your damage is over 100%
Okay thanks. I beat all star on hard. I hope an intense option is unlockable. Even hard is fairly easy. The only thing to really worry about is the stage hazards.

Edit, I was fighting Kirby, threw a bomb down to FF Dair and Kirby's Usmash detonated the bomb and hit me out of it. I think explosions are smaller and Dair has less priority.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Priority wasn't the best choice of word. It did good damage and therefor could bounce on attacks like full power aura balls and cancel most weaker attacks. :/

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
We have a fan, bet it's the same guy who got assblasted and made a new account to post about us on other boards.
Goooooood times.

Also, anyone hoping they're going to add a post-final boss to Majora's Mask remake for 3DS?
I'd be interested in fighting the incarnation of the Fierce Deity. Probably won't happen, but would be fun.

MooCow of Justice

Smash Cadet
NNID
MooCowOfJustice
Oh, well hi, lol. I'm just super bored and hoped for someone to play against. I have yet to actually play online this time around I think. So yeah, interested?

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
It's 10:15 here in Texas. Has new year's happened for any1 else?

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Hello Hylians! Ganondorf brings you an offering of peace for this one day! We hope you and Hyrule have utmost prosperity this year, so it is in perfect condition for Ganondorf to take it for his own!
Happy New year!

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Soon to be Happy New Year to all of you! I won't be able to write this after midnight here, so I'm going ahead and doing so now!

Hello Hylians! Ganondorf brings you an offering of peace for this one day! We hope you and Hyrule have utmost prosperity this year, so it is in perfect condition for Ganondorf to take it for his own!
Happy New year!
Glad to hear!
In fact, we're so glad, we want to get our 6 best photographers to capture you in this great moment!

In the name of peace, please, step in front of the...err...camera...

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Soon to be Happy New Year to all of you! I won't be able to write this after midnight here, so I'm going ahead and doing so now!

Glad to hear!
In fact, we're so glad, we want to get our 6 best photographers to capture you in this great moment!

In the name of peace, please, step in front of the...err...camera...
That nonsense can wait.
I have a mission for you all.
We are taking over the Lucina boards for the glory of the Triforce!
http://smashboards.com/threads/parallel-falchion-lucina-general-and-q-a.383652/page-4#post-18297989
Come, we are taking over! Let us show how puny their little "Ylisse" is!

Top Bottom