• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

FSK

Smash Ace
care to elaborate?
A few examples:

Go to training mode hold the analog stick diagonal down while holding a bomb, you will now ftilt. Hold it straight down you will bomb yourself.

While holding bomb hold the analog stick in the middle of forward and diagonal forward and you will throw the bomb upwards. but you will still ftilt.

Check the sensitivity of the c-stick in the up down left right orientation, for me up is the most sensitive and right is the least sensitive.

on the c-stick up-left gives me fsmash, up-right gives me upsmash, down-left gives me fsmash, down-right gives me dsmash.

Edit: Also if you repeatidly jab cancel you will eventually randomly ftilt.

I'll try a different controller: On the other controller the c-stick was a bit different. If you put diagonal downwards sometimes you would get fsmash sometimes dsmash. Will switch ports.

Last edited:

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
A few examples:

Go to training mode hold the analog stick diagonal down while holding a bomb, you will now ftilt. Hold it straight down you will bomb yourself.

While holding bomb hold the analog stick in the middle of forward and diagonal forward and you will throw the bomb upwards.

Check the sensitivity of the c-stick in the up down left right orientation, for me up is the most sensitive and right is the least sensitive.

on the c-stick up-left gives me fsmash, up-right gives me upsmash, down-left gives me fsmash, down-right gives me dsmash.

I'll try a different controller
Weird, i don't remember having such problems. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention. I'll try these out when I get the chance and let you know what I find.

@ ShinTwist ScreamPaste ShinTwist ScreamPaste

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
A few examples:

While holding bomb hold the analog stick in the middle of forward and diagonal forward and you will throw the bomb upwards. but you will still ftilt.

I'll try a different controller: On the other controller the c-stick was a bit different. If you put diagonal downwards sometimes you would get fsmash sometimes dsmash. Will switch ports.
This problem with the right was created when they took vectoring out and is why there is no momentum canceling input at the moment, or not one that people can understand well at least. I use the Wii U pro, and I admit that it can get to be annoyingly sensitive, though I actually like for it to be sensitive over unresponsive.

Now, the cstick is a mess with their charging smash crap. I hate that it charges since it used to be my asapsmash button.

Wait, you'll ftilt and throw the bomb? Gents and trolls, seems like we have a new AT.

Last edited:

FSK

Smash Ace
Wait, you'll ftilt and throw the bomb? Gents and trolls, seems like we have a new AT.
nah what I meant was that if you keep the stick in that position without a bomb you will ftilt. If you hold a bomb with that stick position you will throw the bomb upwards instead of forwards which would make more sense.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Smash 4 has by far the worst controls in the series, the c-stick and analog stick input is a mess.
I've never struggled much with controls or input delay. Must be why i'm so good on wifi. :/

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
nah what I meant was that if you keep the stick in that position without a bomb you will ftilt. If you hold a bomb with that stick position you will throw the bomb upwards instead of forwards which would make more sense.
Oh...well...that sucks.

I've never struggled much with controls or input delay. Must be why i'm so good on wifi. :/
He's talking about Wii U. Trust me, it's completely different than 3ds.

Merry Christmas Link boards!
Feliz Navidad foros de Link.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
He's talking about Wii U. Trust me, it's completely different than 3ds.
I've started playing project m and brawl with the gc and classic controls to prepare myself for the wiiu version. I don't know exactly how the controls feel for the wiiu version, but I assume they won't feel too broken for me compared to brawl. Maybe a litte better. I'll find out for myself in about 16 hours.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I've struggled with the controls. I'll be glad when the GCC Adapters come out again but I'm getting better with the Pro controller. My advice is practice offline.

Happy holidays everyone! :)

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you guys! :)

Oh and of course, Happy Kaepora Gaebora Day!
If you're a good Hylian, then Raru will take his owl form to make sure your bomb bags will be full, your quivers loaded, your big poes slain, and your bottles filled with potions and fairies!
But if you're a bad Hylian, then Twinrova will sacrifice your girlfriend!

So be good for goodness sakes!

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend

If you're a good Hylian, then Raru will take his owl form to make sure your bomb bags will be full, your quivers loaded, your big poes slain, and your bottles filled with potions and fairies!

Do you understand?
>No
Yes

Do you understand?
No, I'm a dumb***
>Yes! GTFO you stupid owl!

:p

FSK

Smash Ace
I wonder if it would be legal in tournaments to bring you own made GC adapter.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Merry Christmas! (*cue "Sleigh Ride")

Blu, please fix your title. It drives me crazy every time I read it.
All I want for Christmas is a lower case i.

Merry Christmas, brothers. We've been doing this for so long that I was legitimately a fixture of some of your childhoods. You all make Uncle Shin so very proud.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Merry Xmas, everyone. Link seems to have gone up a spot in the tier list last night. From 9th to 8th. Just wow, though. I knew Link was good, but I didn't expect him to be top 10 material! I'll be sporting Link's red tunic for a little while in celebration. I still don't have Sm4sh U though. I guess it can wait.

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
It would probably be in your best interest to ignore that list you were looking at and stick to the metagame at hand.
The game is too young for any reasonable assumption of tiers to be made, not to mention how acidic the Smash community tier discussions are anyways; a cavalcade of nerf-this whiners and buff-this QQers crapping on the top character and all it's players instead of developing the game they play to the next level.

In a year or two it would be reasonable to begin discussion on placements maybe after the toxicity revolving around Diddy & Co. dies down (BTW modestly easy fixes to all those problems lol) But I suspect you know all of this and I may be talking to a wall.
So above all, be sure to continue enjoying your Christmas evening and pardon my rant.

I always love the line from Hellsing abridged where Sir Penwood says "When you make it to Hell, tell them Sir Penwood sent you, and then apologize on my behalf for the inconvenience"

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Merry Christmas everyone. I'm going to end up stay at my mom's place tonight because it's too fudging cold to walk and the wait for a cab is over 3 hours. I'll probably end up watching cats on youtube or reading SCPs.
Hope you all had a great Christmas or whatever holiday(s) you celebrate. :)

Edit, I beat master core for the first time :) That's fun.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I got the game on WiiU! Now I can legit play people for reals. :3 If u wanna fight right now, go right ahead and send me a request!

Rizen

Smash Legend
I can't play now. Lol I'm really tired and my brain keeps reverting back to GCC muscle memory. 10+ years of using it for smash aren't unlearned easily. I keep B-rang-ing instead of upBing. I'll be glad when the dumb GCC adapters finally release again. It's taking forever.

I need to get some sleep.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I got the game on WiiU! Now I can legit play people for reals. :3 If u wanna fight right now, go right ahead and send me a request!
Now you got it? Not yesterday when I could have played? As of tomorrow I'm gone for a week. No Internet at all.

Well, I guess I'll have to fight you a week from tomorrow.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Now you got it? Not yesterday when I could have played? As of tomorrow I'm gone for a week. No Internet at all.

Well, I guess I'll have to fight you a week from tomorrow.
Well, it seems we know who was a Grinch on Christmas... :alien:
Jokes aside, I'm sad that you will be completely unavailable for a week. Cmon man, u should've told me you'd only be available for one day! But alas, If I hadn't forgotten that stores in my area close on Christmas, I would've bought the game sooner. Seems like we're both at fault. Oh well...
I've mastered le bombslide with Link. My Link amiibo is LvL 20. My brother can finally play offline sets with me (whoop whoop), and my Link feels like a God. The chains that hindered me on the 3ds no longer do on the WiiU. The Fight Pad feels pretty awesome. I lack decent recording software, so expect ghetto recordings off the Gamepad.
Time to see for real how far I can go with Link.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
@ Ryu_Ken Ryu_Ken I'll be able to Play again on the 1st at night, and I'll still be in the US, so hopefully still no lag. Also, how can you forget stores close on the 25th?

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
@ Elessar Elessar because I've never bothered to go holiday shopping up until now. I've lived in a hole most of my life, so :p

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
@ Elessar Elessar because I've never bothered to go holiday shopping up until now. I've lived in a hole most of my life, so :p
Then it's not forgetting is it?

By the way, Cat would be coming over today for some smashing, including Link dittos of course, but it suddenly started snowing today so he couldn't make it :facepalm: Woe to them that are at ease in Zion!

Last edited:

ama99

Smash Journeyman
Merry Xmas, everyone. Link seems to have gone up a spot in the tier list last night. From 9th to 8th. Just wow, though. I knew Link was good, but I didn't expect him to be top 10 material! I'll be sporting Link's red tunic for a little while in celebration. I still don't have Sm4sh U though. I guess it can wait.
I don't actually think Link is THAT good. Hes more top 15 or top 20 than top 10. Eventhubs isn't the most accurate.

Rizen

Smash Legend
It's hard to say where characters will place at this time. Link does have to work harder than other characters to win but he's also a very resourceful character. Top 15 might be right but I really can't say.
All the metagame development and activity is great :chuckle:. It's fun learning a new Smash after so long. I'm getting more in control of the characters and starting to play SSB4 instead of Brawl better.

I'm worried about someone somewhere else. It's preoccupying me. :(

What's everyone doing for new year?

GrayFox8983

Smash Rookie
NNID
GrayFox8983
It's hard to say where characters will place at this time. Link does have to work harder than other characters to win but he's also a very resourceful character. Top 15 might be right but I really can't say.
All the metagame development and activity is great :chuckle:. It's fun learning a new Smash after so long. I'm getting more in control of the characters and starting to play SSB4 instead of Brawl better.

I'm worried about someone somewhere else. It's preoccupying me. :(

What's everyone doing for new year?
Just hanging with family. ^^ I'm new to the social thread, but I main link as well. If anybody would like to play some time thanks =3

MooCow of Justice

Smash Cadet
NNID
MooCowOfJustice
So...everybody be sure to find me on that there Miiverse. Posted my info in the other thread, like I probably wasn't meant to.

Many Greetings to the faces I do not recognize. But I must ask, where have my old friends gone?

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
It would probably be in your best interest to ignore that list you were looking at and stick to the metagame at hand.
The game is too young for any reasonable assumption of tiers to be made, not to mention how acidic the Smash community tier discussions are anyways; a cavalcade of nerf-this whiners and buff-this QQers crapping on the top character and all it's players instead of developing the game they play to the next level.

In a year or two it would be reasonable to begin discussion on placements maybe after the toxicity revolving around Diddy & Co. dies down (BTW modestly easy fixes to all those problems lol) But I suspect you know all of this and I may be talking to a wall.
So above all, be sure to continue enjoying your Christmas evening and pardon my rant.

I always love the line from Hellsing abridged where Sir Penwood says "When you make it to Hell, tell them Sir Penwood sent you, and then apologize on my behalf for the inconvenience"
Eh. My point is that Link is a top tier character. Even if Link doesn't actually deserve that title, then we should savor the time we have now while Link is still in top 10. And heck, it also gives us bragging rights (not that we didn't have them otherwise to begin with lol).

Last edited:

FSK

Smash Ace
Since we are talking tier placing I'll throw in my cents:

Link is nowhere near top or high. He is low tier at best. He has bad matchups against the top and high tiers just as in brawl. There are also some absolutely terrible matchups like Sonic, Fox, Sheik and ROB. There is as far as I can tell no matchup where Link is dominant.

People who want to main Link succesfully in smash 4 should pickup where the brawl Link metagame ended, playing smart. Link's tools are not boomerang, bombs or arrows. It is baits, conditioning and reads. We need exceptional spacing and zoning. We need matchup knowledge and experience. And above all we need tournament experience. If you want to join the link metagame this is where you start:

http://nintendodojo.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=151914

T25XL

Smash Journeyman
I has started to play ze link :3. I've got some replays that need to be recorded, and I've said so in the video chat as well. So I'd like some critique on my gameplay. Any advice from you guys? (I'm a mario main, lol)

I has started to play ze link :3. I've got some replays that need to be recorded, and I've said so in the video chat as well. So I'd like some critique on my gameplay. Any advice from you guys? (I'm a mario main, lol)
My advice is as follows: Read the stickies, do work, don't get water temple'd, and develop some thick skin while you're here.

Past that if your replays aren't recorded yet I can't help you.
Since we are talking tier placing I'll throw in my cents:

Link is nowhere near top or high. He is low tier at best. He has bad matchups against the top and high tiers just as in brawl. There are also some absolutely terrible matchups like Sonic, Fox, Sheik and ROB. There is as far as I can tell no matchup where Link is dominant.

People who want to main Link succesfully in smash 4 should pickup where the brawl Link metagame ended, playing smart. Link's tools are not boomerang, bombs or arrows. It is baits, conditioning and reads. We need exceptional spacing and zoning. We need matchup knowledge and experience. And above all we need tournament experience. If you want to join the link metagame this is where you start:

http://nintendodojo.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=151914
This man knows. Welcome back, FSK, I have officially forgiven you for your week or so of maining that maniacal ****** monkey.

Top Bottom