• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Lúcio

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0989-1922-4046
As for Link/Zelda, idk. From all the games I've played, only SS has made any kind of hint toward the pair, and even that was teasingly so. The idea of the pairing first became appealing to me in OoT, but after Zelda sends Link back in time and they 'left it at that', the idea of the two together grew more and more distant to me.

Hell... the Link/Hylia moments in the manga at the end of Hyrule Historia had more 'hints' in it more than most LoZ Link/Zelda moments combined. I know, I know, I'm exaggerating, but still. Miyamoto never made the LoZ games with the focus of pairing(s) in mind. He likes to leave various possibilities open, just like he does toward Link's own character.

From most LoZ games, we don't really know much about Link, personality-wise. The brave and strong silent type doesn't really suffice. Hence, again, Miyamoto has made it in such a way that we, as the player, assume what we perceive his personality to be like. Just like the pairing idea.

Though I wouldn't mind seeing a LoZ game that takes a greater leap into character development.
tbh out of all the zelda games, i found the Skyward Sword relationship to be the most endearing.
you could tell they had a very strong friendship but you could also sense more between them.
i think the main problem is that the hero and the princess will always be reborn in different games so it's tricky with character development (i.e: skyward sword zelda is very different to OoT or Twilight Princess zelda imo)

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
tbh out of all the zelda games, i found the Skyward Sword relationship to be the most endearing.
you could tell they had a very strong friendship but you could also sense more between them.
i think the main problem is that the hero and the princess will always be reborn in different games so it's tricky with character development (i.e: skyward sword zelda is very different to OoT or Twilight Princess zelda imo)
SS Zelda appeared to have the most screen time, no? We got to see more of her character. She had the most personality in SS (though Tetra in WW kind of did too heh). I think one of the main things too about SS Zelda is that she isn't well... a princess. She's a 'commoner' for lack of better term, and the fact that she's grown up together with Link adds to the established friendship.

Seeing her alongside Link, as an equal, rather than someone of higher authority seemed to help them relate to one another better. It was a nice change from the usual. She definitely felt different than any other Zelda.

On a completely different note, I don't know if this was mentioned or not, but I read somewhere that Link's forward smash got fixed with the patch, meaning that it now connects both hits, kinda like TL's. Is this true? I can't test this yet cause I'm at work.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
So is bomb drop>Bair>BombCancel still in for the WiiU version .
As a young Link padawan, are there any pros I should be looking up to? I was browsing through the media section and realized that other than any Link I wasn't sure what to look for. I know he's been lower tier in the past, so it might be something to wait for since he seems better now?
I think my videos and @ FEaR.7 FEaR.7 's are the ones you should be looking at for current progress. I'm really hoping he gets to B tier status in this game.

Lúcio

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0989-1922-4046
SS Zelda appeared to have the most screen time, no? We got to see more of her character. She had the most personality in SS (though Tetra in WW kind of did too heh). I think one of the main things too about SS Zelda is that she isn't well... a princess. She's a 'commoner' for lack of better term, and the fact that she's grown up together with Link adds to the established friendship.

Seeing her alongside Link, as an equal, rather than someone of higher authority seemed to help them relate to one another better. It was a nice change from the usual. She definitely felt different than any other Zelda.

On a completely different note, I don't know if this was mentioned or not, but I read somewhere that Link's forward smash got fixed with the patch, meaning that it now connects both hits, kinda like TL's. Is this true? I can't test this yet cause I'm at work.
true, we saw more of SS zelda than any before.
yeah true, she's just a normal person who can be unreserved and open so we definitely see more of her character.

i loved the characters in SS - they're part of the reason it's so high up on my list
really was a great game; not sure why i ever doubted they wouldn't deliver for the 25th anniversary

do you think they'll ever hit 50 years?

when you say "connects both hits" do you mean not shooting a lighter character so they go out of the hitbox for the second strike?
that's bloody annoying if you ask me

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
true, we saw more of SS zelda than any before.
yeah true, she's just a normal person who can be unreserved and open so we definitely see more of her character.

i loved the characters in SS - they're part of the reason it's so high up on my list
really was a great game; not sure why i ever doubted they wouldn't deliver for the 25th anniversary

do you think they'll ever hit 50 years?
The characters were amazing... and the fact that a SIDE CHARACTER had any kind of development made me all the more impressed. As for them hitting 50 years, that would be nice, but who would take over after Aonuma is gone? And would they be able to keep the content as good, if not better?

when you say "connects both hits" do you mean not shooting a lighter character so they go out of the hitbox for the second strike?
that's bloody annoying if you ask me
I don't know how it would affect character weight, or if it's even really possible to get out of the second hit at all. I will test this when I get home to see if this patch update did indeed, affect his f-smash.

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
Well as far as I can say, They did fix that, the opponent barely pops up at all on the first hit until about 300%. I can connect both hits up until about 340% where it starts to not work at all, but given that even with good vectoring second hit will easily kill at half that percent. I'm not sure of exactly the kill% for a fresh non-charged 2ndF-smash but it should be around the 90% area on most heavies.

Our Toss Cancel tricks and all the hitstun & combo breaking abilities are completely gone. On the upside though, catching the boomerang is like 10frames or less, super fast now, barely an interruption at all now, also cancels landing lag when caught
EG: D-air landing catch boomerang = woopwoopwoopwoop

EDIT: Elessar made a thread for patch notes, please post findings there from here forward. Maybe Scabe can sticky the patch notes so people can relearn quickly

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
We should probably keep an eye on the other characters' changes too in case they have some silly tricks that work on us, but that might be a MU thread thing instead.
Yeah, I think that's more MU thread material.

FEaR.7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FEaR.7
So is bomb drop>Bair>BombCancel still in for the WiiU version .

I think my videos and @ FEaR.7 FEaR.7 's are the ones you should be looking at for current progress. I'm really hoping he gets to B tier status in this game.
Thanks for that. Right now I don't consider myself that good, I hope to get in shape soon though.

Not sure if all are still around but I would love to see these Links also: Legan, Izaw, Blubba, Kirin, Deva. I also remember Ardes being quite good.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Hi guys. I still here. link's looking like his finally getting his piece of the Triforce in this smash. Good for him. Though I can't really say the same for Toon Link. Serious, because Tink lost BLC, they all seem like they start to consider finding new mains. No courage, shame.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Hi guys. I still here. link's looking like his finally getting his piece of the Triforce in this smash. Good for him. Though I can't really say the same for Toon Link. Serious, because Tink lost BLC, they all seem like they start to consider finding new mains. No courage, shame.
Are you serious!?
image.jpg

Toon Link is too young to be the Hero, it seems. (Ba-dum tsssssss:seuss:) And yes, I laughed this hard irl when I read this.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Now you're starting to see why Gay is Tink.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Now you're starting to see why Gay is Tink.
Yeah. Well good thing I not one of them. Toon Link for LIFE (or until Young Link or classic link gets confirmed)

Though I do wish Toon Link would get a few small buffs *stares at aerial up B*

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Holy crap. My connection to this site SLOWED the previous couple hours (couldn't reply to anything). This patch is making the internet explode.
I don't know if I should be annoyed that Nintendo didn't give us patch notes or excited about "discovering" the changes each character has undergone. Guess it's a way of increasing hype for the WiiU version since now Smash3ds should resemble SmashWiiU a little more gameplay-wise.

TFofTruth

Smash Rookie
How does everyone feel about the idea of continuing balance patches? I personally love the concept that things will always be shaken up and changing my play style accordingly. Examples being the speeding up of Link's dash attack and Dtilt, maybe making these moves more viable. And of course the ultimate dream is that every character on the roster will be viable at top level, but this will take likely years of refinement (and the willingness of Nintendo to keep updating).

On the other hand, it seems like this will make it tougher to have multiple mains, since just playing as one character will require constant adjustments. No problem for me really, since I tend to commit to Link in every smash since 64.. but YMMV. Other opinions?

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Jeez. The Community Patch Notes Thread is getting me hyped for some reason. SO MUCH ACTIVITY.
That aside, I think the balance patches are great because it makes the game one step closer to resembling what it was meant to be. Makes me hype for WiiU version.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
How does everyone feel about the idea of continuing balance patches? I personally love the concept that things will always be shaken up and changing my play style accordingly. Examples being the speeding up of Link's dash attack and Dtilt, maybe making these moves more viable. And of course the ultimate dream is that every character on the roster will be viable at top level, but this will take likely years of refinement (and the willingness of Nintendo to keep updating).

On the other hand, it seems like this will make it tougher to have multiple mains, since just playing as one character will require constant adjustments. No problem for me really, since I tend to commit to Link in every smash since 64.. but YMMV. Other opinions?
I like the idea of patches, since it'll save Sm4sh in a competitive way so what happened to brawl doesn't happen again. Plus, this is how real competitive games work

Also, we already have fairly accurate Patch notes, and the dash attack and dtilt aren't faster. This has been confirmed twice.

http://smashboards.com/threads/patch-notes-for-1-0-4.378472/

Last edited:

TFofTruth

Smash Rookie
I like the idea of patches, since it'll save Sm4sh in a competitive way so what happened to brawl doesn't happen again. Plus, this is how real competitive games work

Also, we already have fairly accurate Patch notes, and the dash attack and dtilt aren't faster. This has been confirmed twice.

http://smashboards.com/threads/patch-notes-for-1-0-4.378472/
Ah that's too bad, but it is nice to see the grab range going up and the smashes being able to link up.

I guess the gale boomerang buffs wound up being de-confirmed? Is the catching animation any faster?

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Yes they have been deconfirmed. That list is 100% accurate so far. We've (the people in that thread) have tested everything thoroughly and those are the only differences we have found.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Late postt about LoZ art: My playstyle is art.

On a high note - my steam account got recovered today. All is right in the universe again!

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Alright! Got some really good matches on FG with the new 1.0.4. Expect to see them up sometime today/tomorrow.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
What is item cancelling? oh you mean down-b cancelling. Are you sure that is not just because the bair autocancels?
You're right about that. I seriously regret spreading that bs, although Bair bomb catch>Autocancle>Bomb throw in any direction is super useful as I've said in other threads. I was confused because it worked and felt exactly like an original toss cancel, so it I believe it should be called "false toss canceled Bair".

Victor Coelho

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
1138-9017-8903
Sorry for being so noob but, why is zair so important for link if not for spacing? i mean, i could be wrong but in Brawl this would do 10-12% damage and now it only does 2-5%... am i doing it wrong? also, is it possible to combo zair in anything else now after this last pacth? cheers!

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Sorry for being so noob but, why is zair so important for link if not for spacing? i mean, i could be wrong but in Brawl this would do 10-12% damage and now it only does 2-5%... am i doing it wrong? also, is it possible to combo zair in anything else now after this last pacth? cheers!
Zair is used mostly just for spacing since the dmg and knockback is negligible. Also, now that TC has been removed, zair doesn't really combo into anything else due ot the landing lag. In theory, it could still connect with a boomerang though since Aerials still cancel into specials. But again, that depends a lot on the distance between you and your oponent when he gets hit.

ConsummateK

Smash Cadet
Thanks for that. Right now I don't consider myself that good, I hope to get in shape soon though.

Not sure if all are still around but I would love to see these Links also: Legan, Izaw, Blubba, Kirin, Deva. I also remember Ardes being quite good.
Thanks guys! Now I just have to get time to play. Between work and binge watching Fringe with the gf I'm having trouble getting matches in.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
I must say, with all the technology we have at our disposal today, it's not a surprise that we have movies and video games with amazing graphics. Furthermore, when fans, or people who aren't well-known, try to make an animated video or an alternate universe cutscene of a movie or game... you get something like this...

To all Legend of Zelda fans (particularly Ganondorf fans), I present to you the work of a fan on Youtube, who has spent a long time developing a fan-made video depicting how they envision the life of our well-known villain. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZliYTxhl0c

Cross-posting this to each LoZ social thread for viewing fun.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
So Dair has 2 special properties: it spikes in the initial frames and doesnt bounce with enemies/shields when you Fastfall with it. (Like in Brawl) its a suicide move when Fasfalled offstage like with toon link's Dair since it doesn't bounce off of opponents, and It's more punishable when Fastfalled on stage since opponents can safely block and counter it. Pretty bad nerf IMO. What do you think?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
If it's anything like Toon's Dair in Brawl where you fast fall after bouncing off them initially to avoid the second pogo, then I'd say it's actually a buff. The way you'd want to use it is by doing the fast fall Dair from the correct height so that the move ends by the time you land (autocancels), so you could do things like spike, fast fall Dair to U-tilt (or anything). The main idea is that you want to use it so that you're hitting them with the fast fall Dair and then almost immediately autocanceling it which allows you to follow up with whatever you want. To better ensure this, it's best to delay the fast fall till you're just about to hit them so that the Dair is out for as long as possible, or just use the Dair from higher up. Anyway, it might be something to look into.

Edit: @ Mocha Mocha : It's a pretty good fan made vid. I had already seen it but I'd just like to add my approval to your recommendation.
I can't wait for part 2.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
So Dair has 2 special properties: it spikes in the initial frames and doesnt bounce with enemies/shields when you Fastfall with it. (Like in Brawl) its a suicide move when Fasfalled offstage like with toon link's Dair since it doesn't bounce off of opponents, and It's more punishable when Fastfalled on stage since opponents can safely block and counter it. Pretty bad nerf IMO. What do you think?
I know it doesn't bounce of shields, but doesn't it bounce off enemies? Also, what are you doing fast falling off stage anyways? That's a death wish with Link; it always has been with how fast we fast fall. Also, the fact that it's more punishable also means you just gotta play smarter. As in, don't whip it out unless you know it'll connect. It is a nerf, but it's not a game wrecking one imho.

@ Mocha Mocha that was quite nice. Thanks for sharing the vid.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Well, I stopped checking the patch thread once Link's notes were finished.

Oh my god...this is big...I wonder why...

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Why indeed. Some people reckon that vectoring was always actually a bug to begin with and never intended. Stuff like it only working vertically and the fact that DI was always behind the scenes. That and Wario. It doesn't really matter I guess. The point is, combos. Also everyone will have to re-learn to DI lol. Have fun with that.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
So, from what I understand from that thread, comboing is easier now with Vectoring off the table? Shouldn't it be the other way around and combos be more difficult with DI back in?

Also, exploring DI will take a long time, I don't think it'll be the same as Brawl's.

Top Bottom