• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
The need to swear right now is immense. I'm freaking out. Ok so as none of you know, I'm going on a holiday to New Zealand on the 30th for ten days with my brother and two mates. We'll be camping and hiking mostly (because I love that kind of thing) and NZ is known for its beautiful landscapes etc. My brother on the other hand, he's a bit nuts about this stuff. He's the kind of guy who will walk if he has to travel inter-state, sleeping under the stars, getting food from the land, carrying nothing but good hiking boots, water, matches, and a knife.
Well I just opened up my emails to find that my brother has apparently got us all hunting permits for NZ. This is both exciting and terrifying. I've never killed anything before any larger than my hand, and I don't think I want to either. This is insane.
Are you visiting the Hobbiton sets?! If
you are, I'm so gelly! X3
The thing is, we don't really do guns in the land of Aus. It's all very well for you guys who probably grew up shooting things by the sounds of it. It's all completely new for me.
Besides, knowing my brother we'll probably end up crafting spears and arrows to wound the beast before coming in nice and close and personal to slit its throat.
One thing is for sure, I won't be the same when I return.
1000X like this. I love you man
He's Evil Optimus Prime meets Ganondorf meets Majora. Prime Evil.
Which Ganondorf? Even so, I still don't find Shin evil. His a good bloke :)

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Are you visiting the Hobbiton sets?! If
you are, I'm so gelly! X3
Believe it or not, I don't think we will be. Like I am a huge lotr fan; don't get me wrong. I can sit there throughout all three extended editions and quote every line as they are said. We discussed the possibility of checking out hobbiton, naturally. In the end it was sort of a combination of being too far out of our way, too expensive, and having better things to do. It's still possible we'll check it out though. Our plan is pretty flexible at this point, so I'll let you know what it was like if I do end up going.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Believe it or not, I don't think we will be. Like I am a huge lotr fan; don't get me wrong. I can sit there throughout all three extended editions and quote every line as they are said. We discussed the possibility of checking out hobbiton, naturally. In the end it was sort of a combination of being too far out of our way, too expensive, and having better things to do. It's still possible we'll check it out though. Our plan is pretty flexible at this point, so I'll let you know what it was like if I do end up going.
Aw, I am sorry to hear. Still enjoy your trip no the less and have fun :)

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Let's just say I've been re-thinking where I should draw the line without killing the spirit. And I know you'll do your best to figure out just where that 'line' is XD.

I'll give you a hint though. Some of your previous ones were also over this new line. I'm currently undecided as to whether I should go back and edit them as well. I don't want to go overboard or anything.

Last edited:
Let's just say I've been re-thinking where I should draw the line without killing the spirit. And I know you'll do your best to figure out just where that 'line' is XD.
You're not wrong, it's my nature. You don't end up as Sealed Evil in a Can without testing a few boundaries. That said, I have been trying to tone it down given the public venue. I was never so gentle when we had the xat.

That one is definitively SFW, you'll be happy to know. Hah, it occurs to me, now that you're a moderator, you have to click my links, to make sure I'm behaving. Your authority actually gives me power over you. This is perhaps the happiest I've been all day.

It's a shame Elessar shares my tastes, I would have so much fun screwing with him. The only thing I can think of in my bucket he doesn't want to see is something that I'm certainly not going to post.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
As long as we understand each other, I think things will be just fine.
And you're right, I do have to click on them. That's certainly one way of thinking about it XD.

For what it's worth, I do actually like having you round here. You're one of my favourite posters. It's just that now, you know, responsibilities to the kiddies and such.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Yeah I'd rather not scare away new Link mains. I'm all for fun but there's a place for everything and this is supposed to be a Teen rated forum. There's a lot of stuff I don't post.
Well I just opened up my emails to find that my brother has apparently got us all hunting permits for NZ. This is both exciting and terrifying. I've never killed anything before any larger than my hand, and I don't think I want to either. This is insane.
Use a Boomerang; that way you can retrieve the skulltula token afterward. Seriously though if you don't want to hunt then don't. Personally I wouldn't. I don't see much sport in hunting with a gun, maybe if someone built their own bow or used their bare hands it would be sport. It's not hard to get animals in your sights but I prefer a camera.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Use a Boomerang; that way you can retrieve the skulltula token afterward. Seriously though if you don't want to hunt then don't. Personally I wouldn't. I don't see much sport in hunting with a gun, maybe if someone built their own bow or used their bare hands it would be sport. It's not hard to get animals in your sights but I prefer a camera.
Nah I'm gonna give it a shot. And didn't you see what I wrote earlier? We won't be using a gun. Just bow and arrows, and then knife if necessary (though there's no way I'm doing that bit). It will also purely be for food, and my brother likes to tan the skins (though I doubt he'll have time while we're there), so it's not like we're doing it just because it's fun or anything then leaving the carcasses to rot.

Oh and that animal looks a little too much like a Fox for my liking seeing as we're talking about hunting animals.

Last edited:
Yeah I'd rather not scare away new Link mains. I'm all for fun but there's a place for everything and this is supposed to be a Teen rated forum. There's a lot of stuff I don't post.
What are you implying? I think the sensitivity of the average poster is being overstated.

Rizen

Smash Legend
What are you implying? I think the sensitivity of the average poster is being overstated.
Yeah but it's a smash site. People go here for smashbros; I mean when I want to see something creepy I see silent hill stuff or if I want to see sexy ladies I go... other places on the internet. But sometimes people just want vanilla, you know?
I'm just saying there's a time and place for everything.

Yeah but it's a smash site. People go here for smashbros; I mean when I want to see something creepy I see silent hill stuff or if I want to see sexy ladies I go... other places on the internet. But sometimes people just want vanilla, you know?
I'm just saying there's a time and place for everything.
Then you'll be pleased to know you don't have to see any of the wonderful things your Uncle ShinTwist keeps stored away. All you have to do, is stay out of my shed.

You wouldn't be the first. I doubt you'll be the last.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech

The only thing I wouldn't mind hunting are Deers, specifically for food. Other than that, I honestly don't like the sport of hunting.
Even for population control purposes, I can't stand killing animals.

On a completely unrelated note: (I really, really hate asking this here and I know it's probably a dumb thing to do but idk where to look) but is there a list of Smash 4's universal techniques?

This is actually a much better place for the question than making a new thread. The answer? I have no idea. I assume something like that must exist in general competitive discussion. There are general techs known that I don't see posted about here (like cancelling airdodge lag into a special) that I figure must be written down somewhere.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Then you'll be pleased to know you don't have to see any of the wonderful things your Uncle ShinTwist keeps stored away. All you have to do, is stay out of my shed.

You wouldn't be the first. I doubt you'll be the last.
Lol I learned that a long time ago.

On a completely unrelated note: (I really, really hate asking this here and I know it's probably a dumb thing to do but idk where to look) but is there a list of Smash 4's universal techniques?
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-smash-dictionary.374538/

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Huh. Yeah I guess it is kind of a universal tech thread in a way. I hadn't thought of it like that. Just note that I purposefully haven't been adding every tech/AT, only the ones with generally accepted names, so you won't find everything. Also note that I haven't exactly focused on teaching the techs as I've been more focused on explaining what that word relates to, that and I've tried to keep things concise, so the explanations will be lacking according to my standards.

I actually once started a general tech thread for Brawl some time ago now, intending to have every tech of every character, personally tested and re-written from my own experience. I soon realised how stupid that was. There was way too much. It was beyond ridiculous. The worst part was the research. I won't go into that though because it will sound arrogant.

Last edited:

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Hey, so this is a bit off topic but Lozjam over in the Ganon boards just got mugged (literally) and is suffering from short-term brain damage. He can't even play smash bros currently without getting headaches and has limited his electronics usage to smashboards and listening to reorchestrated zelda music.

Now, I'm not suggesting we all bake him a cake or anything; I just think it would be a nice gesture to our Z tier brother if a few of us maybe went over to the Ganon Social Thread and offered a few words of support, or just read and like his posts. On the surface we may be enemies, but in real life we're a family and at the moment one of our own is feeling real pain.

Just a thought.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Hey, so this is a bit off topic but Lozjam over in the Ganon boards just got mugged (literally) and is suffering from short-term brain damage. He can't even play smash bros currently without getting headaches and has limited his electronics usage to smashboards and listening to reorchestrated zelda music.

Now, I'm not suggesting we all bake him a cake or anything; I just think it would be a nice gesture to our Z tier brother if a few of us maybe went over to the Ganon Social Thread and offered a few words of support, or just read and like his posts. On the surface we may be enemies, but in real life we're a family and at the moment one of our own is feeling real pain.

Just a thought.
I am so on my way there.

Rizen

Smash Legend
A few things I've notice about Link in SSB4 as opposed to brawl:
Rolls are much better so Dsmash is worse at punishing them. I think Dsmash has been nerfed from Brawl overall. Dash attack is great for punishing (landings, end lag) but not good for anything else. Due to buffed rolls and Dsmash/Spin Attack not being great, I think Utilt is an extremely valuable move. It's quick, big area of attack and ends quickly. I miss invincibomb and bomb drops without Zair but bombs not hurting Link when thrown at the opponent is a fantastic buff. The short fuse sucks though. Projectiles are more valuable since Link's mobility has been buffed and the general air game nerfed. Link's Zair is used more like Samus'. I never thought I'd say this but Link has a good MU vs DDD. Link is still not a rushdown character and should play a passive aggressive game.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592

Just a thought.
Don't worry, from my side, we Zelda mains may appear cold and calculating on the outside, but we're cynically dramatic warm and caring on the inside. Time to cheer up the man who kidnaps us a million times, but who never kills us...

Rizen

Smash Legend
DK for S tier, inb4 ban :p

Isn't Will Broccoli King here? Gotta like when someone goes low tier (or just not top tier).

Last edited:

Darklink46

Smash Apprentice
Hi Guys!

Im completely new here and I apologise if its seems like Im making a mountain out of a mole hill, but I feel like there is a severe problem with Link's new dash attack. When I first saw the attack at Hyperjapan in London, I was already worried about the slowness of the attack but I have gotten over that. My problem is the hitbox created when Link swings his sword does not seem to correspond to the swing very accurately at all or at least the swing doesn't hit things throughout the arc. I took a screenshot on Miiverse which I collected in training mode which I can't link to you until Ive created 10 posts :p.

The attack doesn't seem to impact at all for about the first half of the swing, (i.e. as it passes over Link's head). I feel that it is quite a severe problem, especially considering other characters have similar swings for different attacks but they hit all the way through the arc.

Again, apologies if anyone else has seen this problem before or if Im missing something obvious, but it just seems to be such a glaring problem to me that I can't believe nothing has been done about it!

I look forward to your replies! :p

Rizen

Smash Legend
Hi Guys!

Im completely new here and I apologise if its seems like Im making a mountain out of a mole hill, but I feel like there is a severe problem with Link's new dash attack. When I first saw the attack at Hyperjapan in London, I was already worried about the slowness of the attack but I have gotten over that. My problem is the hitbox created when Link swings his sword does not seem to correspond to the swing very accurately at all or at least the swing doesn't hit things throughout the arc. I took a screenshot on Miiverse which I collected in training mode which I can't link to you until Ive created 10 posts :p.

The attack doesn't seem to impact at all for about the first half of the swing, (i.e. as it passes over Link's head). I feel that it is quite a severe problem, especially considering other characters have similar swings for different attacks but they hit all the way through the arc.

Again, apologies if anyone else has seen this problem before or if Im missing something obvious, but it just seems to be such a glaring problem to me that I can't believe nothing has been done about it!

I look forward to your replies! :p
Welcome :)

Yeah dash attack (DA) only hits on the down swing at the end. It starts frame 21 and lasts to frame 25. It's not fast but good at chasing down and punishing lag. Like if the opponent rolls away, misses a smash or is free-falling, Link can run in and DA. It doesn't hit above Link, only in front but Link moves forward a good distance during the start up lag.

Top Bottom