• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
well this as a dissertation is merely the third year "project" for my BSc, nothing as high as an MA or PhD yet :L

wow, that sound pretty interesting; obviously you must've done well! :D

i'm glad, i tried to keep it fresh since university students in particular know how tedious questionnaires can be.
and yes, i believe in the personality block, one or two questions were repeated/rephased.
don't worry, that was entirely intentional - it's interesting to see if people's answer to a question differs even if it is essentially asking the same thing only a few minutes later.
Oh, I see.

I actually didn't have the credit hours to commit to it so I just did a second composition recital instead. Same amount of work but more composition, less writing, smaller ensembles, and not on the credit books. It did get me the Composition departmental award for the 4th year in a row, though, and bragging rights as the only person in the history of the university to pull off two full comp recitals.

I figured it was probably intentional as the syntax was slightly different, but I think I answered the same.

Anywho, let's gravitate back to the topic(s) at hand. Any further discussion on this (I welcome it, by the way) should be done in a separate/private conversation.

EDIT: Ahhh, the tl;dr. I often put one in as a courtesy because I can tend to become verbose if the muse strikes on a certain topic. It can also be a good way to outline one's points or "button up" a good post.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Anywho, let's gravitate back to the topic(s) at hand. Any further discussion on this (I welcome it, by the way) should be done in a separate/private conversation.
Naroghin is a smart fellow. His only flaw is withdrawing his support for molding me.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I freaking hate this stupid predictive text. Molding me? Really damn SwiftKey?

I swear I'll uninstall it one of these days.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
@ Elessar Elessar , you represent the inexorable animal urge for carnage that all Dark Link mains have rooted deep within. While my rational, practical self backs Rizen for well demonstrated reasons, there will always be a small ember in the depths that burns to see the world in chaos; this piece of me will always ally with you. May it never surface again, for the sake of humanity.
Or at least just the sake of the Sm4sh Link boards.

Last edited:
There's more than just a 'piece' of me that wants to burn down all that stands and erect a new monument on the cinders of what was a community subsection.

This monument will be to the one true calling of Link Mains. Doing work.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
@ Elessar Elessar , you represent the inexorable animal urge for carnage that all Dark Link mains have rooted deep within. While my rational, practical self backs Rizen for well demonstrated reasons, there will always be a small ember in the depths that burns to see the world in chaos; this piece of me will always ally with you. May it never surface again, for the sake of humanity.
Or at least just the sake of the Sm4sh Link boards.
If you think I represent the dark urges of Link mains, then you are even more naive than I thought. You know not the true darkness that lies a mere scratch below the surface, but you can trust that I am a ray of funshine compared to it.

Pray for the sleepers to never awaken.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Toon Link looks like something Charles M. Schulz would draw during a schizophrenic episode.

...Or a really low quality anime.

Yea people do read the thread titles :awesome:
New Wii U Zelda game footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SECWlFInyFM&list=UUGIY_O-8vW4rfX98KlMkvRg
His still kind of adorable :3

*watches video*

HOLLY CRAP THAT IS THW MOST BEAUTIFUL ZELDA GAME I HAVE EVER SEEN XD. THE HYPE IS REAL!!!

You like gay, just accept it already.
No. I like Toon Link and further more am planning on maining him along with :4link::4robinm:. Though if :younglinkmelee: comes back as DLC, I will drop both Links and main him with Robin. (Please be true!)

that's psychology for you ;)
I am not gay :glare:. And I know you're trolling.

Just because someone is trolling you doesn't automatically make them wrong. It says right there below your post count that you main gay.

So sayeth the lexicon, and it shall not be disregarded.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
The more important question is, who disliked the vid.? Seriously, I saw some good stuff in there with the bombs.
Probably someone who didn't make it past the min of idleness at the beginning. Or one of my many forums fans. I'm quite liked here.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Sure you're not, you just like and main gay. It's cool, it's cool.
But I'm not, though (to you guys), I main a gay character. I still think you should give the little guy a break, but that's just my thoughts though, you guys think what ever you want.
Still, every time I play Tink, I just don't enjoy his moveset as much as Links but ever time I play Link, I miss Toon Links mobility and speed, which is why I want Young Link back so badly, because he is a perfect combination of the 2. *sigh* I miss him.

Speak of kids, Elessar, how come you are calling me kid? It reminds me of Basilio to Chrom in FE:A.

Also, we're you the one who pranked me?

Just because someone is trolling you doesn't automatically make them wrong. It says right there below your post count that you main gay.
Well they can be…

So sayeth the lexicon, and it shall not be disregarded.
Wait, what?

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
If you think I represent the dark urges of Link mains, then you are even more naive than I thought. You know not the true darkness that lies a mere scratch below the surface, but you can trust that I am a ray of funshine compared to it.

You have an awesome phone, @ Elessar Elessar

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
But...I main a gay character. I...give the little guy...my thoughts......every time I play [Gay], I just don't enjoy his moveset...but ever time I play Link, I miss [Gay]...*sigh* I miss him.

Speak of kids, Elessar, how come you are calling me kid? It reminds me of Basilio to Chrom in FE:A.
Because I'm older than you are, and you still have a lot to learn kid.

Also, we're you the one who pranked me?
No, but I sure wish I had been.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog

I googled Funshine. Apparently you're a care bear?

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Guys, there's new footage of Zelda U that was released tonight. Check it out.
This game has me extremely exited. The visuals are stunning, and the sheer size of the map just screams months of exploration. The gameplay looks solid, though the ability to sprint will be missed.
I was about to go to sleep that day, and took a casual glance at YT first to see if anything interesting was up from my subscriptions. My reactions in a nutshell"

- I saw that Nintendo posted something with Zelda in the title.
- I thought... oh it's probably some more talk about the Majora's Mask
- I glanced at the words, 'Zelda footage'. I sat there, blinking the sleep from my eyes as this tried to sink in.
- I clicked it.
- Instant coffee reaction from the moment the video started, and then RIP sleep.

Mkay, that aside, the game does look gorgeous. And I'm saying that, while playing Dragon Age Inquisition on the XB1 too (which also has beautiful graphics) so yeah. I just hope they don't focus so much on the world, that they downplay the story, but I don't think that'll happen, knowing console Zelda games.

This has probably already been said here, but Skyrim's influence in games nowadays, rpg or not, is really quite astounding. While I don't want EVERY rpg/action game I play function similarly to Skyrim, I'm curious to see what other franchises will do with this inspired mind-set. I've seen what they've done to Dragon Age Inquisition so far, and now I shall await for Zelda U.

Zelda U.

Pleease have a game title for this already xD

---

On another note, to those of you who witnessed me leaving the Skype group, this wasn't anything ill-intended. I'm just very inactive on Skype, with a full-time job and little free time. In my rare moments that I do log on, I have 1,000+ messages and my computer often freezes. However, you guys are still welcome to add me if you wanna chat sometime individually or in a brief group chat for some games, discussion, etc.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I was about to go to sleep that day, and took a casual glance at YT first to see if anything interesting was up from my subscriptions. My reactions in a nutshell"

- I saw that Nintendo posted something with Zelda in the title.
- I thought... oh it's probably some more talk about the Majora's Mask
- I glanced at the words, 'Zelda footage'. I sat there, blinking the sleep from my eyes as this tried to sink in.
- I clicked it.
- Instant coffee reaction from the moment the video started, and then RIP sleep.

Mkay, that aside, the game does look gorgeous. And I'm saying that, while playing Dragon Age Inquisition on the XB1 too (which also has beautiful graphics) so yeah. I just hope they don't focus so much on the world, that they downplay the story, but I don't think that'll happen, knowing console Zelda games.

This has probably already been said here, but Skyrim's influence in games nowadays, rpg or not, is really quite astounding. While I don't want EVERY rpg/action game I play function similarly to Skyrim, I'm curious to see what other franchises will do with this inspired mind-set. I've seen what they've done to Dragon Age Inquisition so far, and now I shall await for Zelda U.

Zelda U.

Pleease have a game title for this already xD

---

On another note, to those of you who witnessed me leaving the Skype group, this wasn't anything ill-intended. I'm just very inactive on Skype, with a full-time job and little free time. In my rare moments that I do log on, I have 1,000+ messages and my computer often freezes. However, you guys are still welcome to add me if you wanna chat sometime individually or in a brief group chat for some games, discussion, etc.
I agree on the styria influence, although Zelda seems to be returning to its roots with this. I can't wait.

Also Mocha, how good is Inquisition? I love DA:O, one of the best games I have ever played, but I was seriously disappointed with DA 2. Due to this I'm somewhat hesitant towards Inquisition. Would you recommend it based on DA:O?

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
I agree on the styria influence, although Zelda seems to be returning to its roots with this. I can't wait.

Also Mocha, how good is Inquisition? I love DA:O, one of the best games I have ever played, but I was seriously disappointed with DA 2. Due to this I'm somewhat hesitant towards Inquisition. Would you recommend it based on DA:O?
DA2 had a lot of potential, but I heard that Bioware had been forced to rush it at the time. My main complaint with DA2 was that you spent 85% of the time in Kirkwall, the dungeon layouts were lazy and repetitive, and the quests to help either mages or Templars started to get redundant after awhile. Not to mention, Orsino was cool, and I don't like what they did with him. But DA2 did do something right though in that of Varric, one of my favorite companions, who comes back in DAI.

Dragon Age Inquisition is waaaay better than DA2. I'm not sure how much of a Tactics person you were, but if you were one of those hardcore people that played in Nightmare difficulty like I did, and made really careful usage of Tactics, you're going to be a bit put off by how much more... simple the Tactics is now. This is both a good thing and a bad thing, but I'm starting to get used to it, so I've been overlooking for the other strengths of the game. If you want me to elaborate a bit more on how it works, I can, but if you never used Tactics much in the past, I may end up confusing you otherwise lol.

The graphics on the XB1 is breath-taking, and the game does it justice. I'm not sure how DAI graphics compare on the 360, or in another console/PC, but I have not been disappointed thus far. There are many, different environments to explore in, and you get to go to regions in Ferelden and Orlais. There's a desert environment, snow, swamp, foresty (at least two variations), and more - and the best part is that you can fast travel to them at any time, so if you ever want a change of scenery, bam! Fast traveling much simpler. Oh you can also get a mount in this game, and unlock more mounts. So far I have a horse, and a horse/dragon hybrid (REALLY weird I know).

The companions are cool, but I haven't felt that 'click' with any of them yet. Varric is still witty as always, so he's enjoyable to have around from time to time. At first, I didn't really like the companions much as far as personality, but they're starting to grow on me a little. I think a part of it too is that I've spent more time exploring than actually interacting with them xD

I believe the game has received really good reviews overall, though some of the die-hard DA fans will bring up a number of complaints (such as the Tactics) - some stuff I can agree with, and other stuff is just very trivial, like complaining about the outfit your character wears in your Inquisition base. The only complaints I fully support are glitches. I personally haven't had many myself, and some weren't disruptive to the game at all. There was only one glitch I had so far in which my game froze during an auto-save, and I had to clear my game settings and reload my save from the Cloud server, which stores your game for you, so you don't have to start all over again. I'm sure these glitches will be patched though.

Otherwise, the game is filled with content and a rich world, so I think you'll enjoy it. I've found myself having a hard time putting it down at times, but inevitably had to due to work (and Smash 4 now and then).

I'll try not to say much else for now so I don't spoil anything :p

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
@ Mocha Mocha It's ok to not say anything, don't worry.

I'm more of a story focus gamer, so I care more about plot and stories than tactics for example. On that regard I won't care that much I guess. Most of my gripe with DA 2 was that you felt as a spectator in the story, but not the catalyst, as you were in DA:O. Basically, you decisions didn't count towards anything in DA 2,it didn't matter what you did or didn't do, the script was followed. That was such a let down from DA:O where your actions had a huge impact on the story. Add that plus the extremely recycled dungeons and the overall poor story and you get a meh game which, while not horrendous, was for sure a huge let down from the glory that is DA:O.

So in that sense, what is the story and writing like? I really want to buy the game for pc, but I'm trying to assess it's priority. Basically, buy that one or shadows of mordor. Any suggestions on that front?

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
For one thing, it shares the similarity with DA: O in which you can choose, not just your class, but your race. In DA2, you were always a human no matter what, but in DA: I, you can play as a human, elf, dwarf, and.... qunari! I'm not sure if it's like DA: O in which, depending on what race/class you start out as, you have a different intro. I believe they all have the same intro, but you may get different dialogue options/quest options/companion romance options depending on what you start as. I'm not sure how the overall story impact will be though. I mean, DA:O still more or less ended the same in which the Grey Warden defeated the Arch Demon and stopped the blight, with some exceptions of Alistair possibly taking a deeper role, or you dying, etc. I haven't gotten far enough in this game to tell how different the ending choices will be.

Every dungeon I've run into so far looked different, may that be a mini dungeon with no significance to the main story, or the story dungeons. The game is hard in the beginning... well, at least for a rogue, since your damage output and your intake of damage is eh. The ability, Stealth, has been a life-saver in getting out of tough situations, cause most enemies will completely ignore you, and you can just run away if you need to (which in turn will help your companions if they're down). If you start as a rogue, I highly recommend getting this ability as soon as possible.

The story at first was okay, but nothing that kept me ogling at the screen, wanting more. I spent most of the time doing exploring and side quests, so my progress in the story has been rather slow. After you recruit all the companions (there's quite a number of them this time around), then the story starts getting really interesting. The awesome cinematics further captures the moments and keeps you hooked. I'll update you once I've made more progress in the main story, and if I was pleased with the conclusion. It definitely has potential... I just hope they don't wing it at the end.

I haven't tried Shadows of Mordor, so I'm not sure what I would suggest you to prioritize. If you do plan on getting DAI though, regardless of PC or console, might be a good idea to read up on some possible glitches, fixes, etc, just so you're aware. I sometimes prefer to wait awhile when games come out so that their bugs can be patched. But sometimes it's just really hard to wait.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
just thought this was worth mentioning: Dark Souls was rated M, but DA2 was rated T? what? (esrb rating, btw)

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
And that gives you the right to spam pointless reaction pics? Include words or don't post at all, specially when your worthless spam won't even try to pretend to contribute anything tot he conversation.

DAI is rated M for Mocha :p

Seriously though? Could have sworn DA2 had nudity in it... guess that didn't warrant the M rating, eh?
I don't remember seeing nudity in DA2. But it did have sex scenes which should warrant an M.

ama99

Smash Journeyman
Hi, this is my first post on Smashboards. I'm a Link main and I love Zelda and Smash Bros. I'm not the best player but I can't wait to get better and get to know everybody here.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Hi, this is my first post on Smashboards. I'm a Link main and I love Zelda and Smash Bros. I'm not the best player but I can't wait to get better and get to know everybody here.
Welcome tot he Link boards, the home of the Link mains, the biggest trolls on this corner of the interwebz. Be sure to read our board rules and stick by them, and read also this guide where you can learn about all of Link's moves. Other than that, ask any questions that you have here in the metagame thread or just come and hang around, chat, ask/talk about anything in this thread, our social thread.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Hello, and welcome to the Link boards! I hope you enjoy your stay. I'll warn you straight up, most of us here trolls to the max and some are getting a bit old and crotchety so it's recommended that you have thick skin if you're gonna stick around. Once you get to know us, though, you should find that you fit right in.

I recommend reading these threads to get started:
Link Board Rules
Guide It's Freakin Link

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Last edited:

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
Ocarina of Time was rated E on the N64 and E10+ on the 3DS...explain that one
Simple: The E10+ rating didn't exist until 2005.

EDIT: I'm so zetta slow, dang it.

But that Zelda gameplay footage is so sexy. Reminds me a lot of Shadow of the Colossus so far. Still, I share a similar hope that they don't neglect the story for the sake of the world.

Last edited:
Top Bottom