• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Rizen

Smash Legend
Link can true combo into almost every move he has from a bomb but he must be able to immediately reach the opponent. I can see bombslide being extremely useful in that regard.
Therefor, they will be patched out. :facepalm:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
You guys are really making me nervous. If Link gets any worse in this game, I might have to give up Sm4sh as my main game and focus more on PM and Melee, where Link at least has a chance. Just take a look at the front page. The Melee Link meta looks better than ever.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Ill be honest, might be pretty hard to stay a loyal link if they hit him too hard. I love playing link but kinda gets less fun when the game is essentially, actively fighting against you. :( let's just hope he has mercy

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
Link in melee is just a 'counter' to Jigglypuff. Link has impossible match ups against Sheik and Fox (a good fox could perfectly 0-death you with no effort, sheik is almost the same, but with much less skills).

Link in PM is much more viable...

8MAN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FourOhFour
3DS FC
4871-4261-8409
Sm4sh, unlike 64, Melee, or Brawl, doesn't have movesets that are set in stone. Which results in a ever changing "teir list" as characters are being buffed/nerfed. Top teir characters can be demoted to high teir, while low teir characters can be moved up to middle teir.
Optimistically, hoping Sakurai doesn't touch the bomb ATs and buff Link at the same time. Although realistically, the only thing Sakurai will probably buff is the Hylian Shield, to block Villager's bair/Tree, Megaman's Metal Blade, and Greninja's fully charged water shuriken.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Link in melee is just a 'counter' to Jigglypuff. Link has impossible match ups against Sheik and Fox (a good fox could perfectly 0-death you with no effort, sheik is almost the same, but with much less skills).

Link in PM is much more viable...
Well the main reason why I want to play Melee again is because I'm good at Marth, and Link will probably still end up being better than he is in Sm4sh if the nerfs continue, whereas there are no patches in Melee threatening to make Link even worse. Melee is also just way more hype in general. Same can be said about PM outside of patches, though at least the PMDT know what they're doing.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
the Hylian Shield, to block Villager's bair/Tree, Megaman's Metal Blade, and Greninja's fully charged water shuriken.
Except Bair, it blocks those now. The later multi-hits can creep through and hit Link's back though.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Even if Link gets nerfed to hell next patch though, I'm sure Link will get a decent buff at some point in the future to make up for our losses. Even if it does take a few years. We'll just need to have some patience until then.

Last edited:

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Sm4sh, unlike 64, Melee, or Brawl, doesn't have movesets that are set in stone. Which results in a ever changing "teir list" as characters are being buffed/nerfed. Top teir characters can be demoted to high teir, while low teir characters can be moved up to middle teir.
And mid tier characters can be made low tier! So many possibilities!!!

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
Is there any buff you'd give Link other than the jab cancel back? I'd increase the hit stun for up tilt and for the bombs.

Also, can we recap all the nerfs he got? Maybe we can see if there's a pattern.

Last edited:

Serac

Smash Cadet
Even if Link gets nerfed to hell next patch though, I'm sure Link will get a decent buff at some point in the future to make up for our losses. Even if it does take a few years. We'll just need to have some patience until then.
We still need a new buff to compensate for jab 1.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Is there any buff you'd give Link other than the jab cancel back? I'd increase the hit stun for up tilt and for the bombs.
Less knockback on d-throw with a bit more hitstun.
Up-throw be back to its original kill%.
The jab fix we have talked about.
More suction on 2nd hit of up-smash (stupid fast fallers)
I think that's about it. Of course in a dream world he'd be faster and crap but in balance terms I think that'll help a lot

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Ah...new games and new patches. If there's one thing they've been good for, it's separating the men from the cowards on the Link Boards.

ama99

Smash Journeyman
If Link gets nerfed again I might just be done with him as a main. I'll probably play him as a secondary and use a more viable Zelda character as my main.

ama99

Smash Journeyman
So basically Sheik or Gay.
Ganon is around the same in terms of viability with Link and is more with customs. If bombslides are removed Ganon will be better.

Link will always be a secondary tho.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
So basically Sheik or Gay.
Ganondorf. If Link gets nerfed, i'll go with Ganondorf. I have always liked Ganondorf and i will continue to use him. I never liked or cared about Sheik and Gay is the worst character addition in any Smash game to me, so i will always say no to him.

But if they nerf him again, i might as well just drop him in a competitive standpoint. I will use him in FFA's and even in doubles, but when in competitive, he'll be dropped from main as a secondary and go with Ganondorf, Falcon or even Samus.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Ganondorf. If Link gets nerfed, i'll go with Ganondorf. I have always liked Ganondorf and i will continue to use him. I never liked or cared about Sheik and Gay is the worst character addition in any Smash game to me, so i will always say no to him.

But if they nerf him again, i might as well just drop him in a competitive standpoint. I will use him in FFA's and even in doubles, but when in competitive, he'll be dropped from main as a secondary and go with Ganondorf, Falcon or even Samus.
I dunno if I have a main replace my anyway. I don't wanna be lame and go sheik or something.

I wanna stay link but I also don't wanna be put into a position of losing most games. I already struggle winning against my friend (lungi, Marth, c. Falcon, sheik, etc.) as it is

Last edited:

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
I don't think they will touch Link again in this patch. If they did then Sakurai is just giving Link the Finger. I'm sticking with Link through thick and thin. Besides, he can't be worse than brawl Link.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Sup guys!

How are you all on this fine day today? :)

Actually it's more like every Link main has a speedy rush down character in their pocket. The three most common are probably Falcon, Sheik, and Fox. I think after playing a character that requires so much patients and zoning it's nice to have a character where you can let it all loose and go full agro.
Really?

*Looks at mains*

:4robinm: and :4pit:

*Looks at Secondary*

:4sonic:and:4littlemac:

Huh, that is interesting

Batu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlight33
I dont know if i like playing online... So many hit confirms lost due to the lag or i am just to sensitive.:confused:

Rizen

Smash Legend
^Ganon is so much easier to play than Link online.
I dont know if i like playing online... So many hit confirms lost due to the lag or i am just to sensitive.:confused:
^This 100x. I really hate how people assume Link is better online because FG scrubs can't deal with rolling and spam.

Last edited:

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
Hey guys... I played a real sheik yesterday. I was combo all the matches, I can't do anything against... It was not funny.

What characters counters sheik? I really need to have something to, at least, play against.

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
I'm actually thinking about learning Luigi to counter Shiek. We have an excellent Luigi main in my town so I could get a teacher, and Luigi looks like a lot of fun to play.

But. Lucas is coming out. I'm def going to secondary him and/or use him in doubles. A grab release into an up-smash would be beautiful in teams.

As far as the patch goes, I don't know what to expect. Will Link lose his marvelous bombslides or lose his ability to soft throw bombs? Or will he actually gain a pivot grab? Will sakurai hear our cries and give us back our jab? (just not the 'infinite') Will we actually get throw combos? Will people stop falling out of our up-smash?

I can dream, can't I? Regardless, Link has been my main for far too long for me to use him if they take away bombsliding or bomb durability, or something else stupid. He's a fun character to play, and no matter what Sakurai does, he won't take away my enjoyment at playing the character.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
I will emphasize this before someone comes in to tell us that Sheik Link is very doable: as Scizor (who has played many seasoned Sheiks like Mr-R) said before: just don't use Link against Sheik. I am content losing to every competent Sheik I meet, and I will, but that's a hard sacrifice that is not worth it to most.

As it happens we currently have a 2nd player who mains Ness, and Ness has a horrible MU against Sheik. So though he beats everyone, including doing better against people Mr-R struggles with, he still always gets destroyed in grand finals against Sheik: it can't be helped. And he is quite lost about what to do now: the best secondary is another Sheik, yet his Sheik will never be as good as all the people who used Sheik since the very start. Yoshi could work: as Mr-R mentioned, Sheik wins the MU, but if the Sheik player doesn't know how to play it Yoshi has the advantage still. Besides, it's not a big loss for Yoshi. Yoshi is a good secondary for Link because he has a command grab and can bypass shields with that well -- i.e. he can be counterpicked against shield-savvy players and characters. I've never seen a Link main secondary him, someone should try it.

I trust Sheik will be nerfed at least some coming patch though. He is clearly the best at the moment, so unless the balance people have their head stuck firmly in their ---- they'll realize something needs to be done about it.

8MAN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FourOhFour
3DS FC
4871-4261-8409
I trust Sheik will be nerfed at least some coming patch though. He is clearly the best at the moment, so unless the balance people have their head stuck firmly in their ---- they'll realize something needs to be done about it.
Rather than nerfing Sheik, I would honestly prefer buffs to lower teir characters . . . because if the trend of nerfing the current Top Teir character continues, then we will be left with a bad balanced game - due to the fact that every character sucks equally.
So unless something is ridicously OP or gamebreaking, then I feel like it should't be prioritized over making lower teir characters playable.

Last edited:

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Nerfing top tiers is the easiest route so the one they'll make likely take. They don't go about it very wisely obviously, but people complained a lot about Diddy and he dominated tournaments then, and now he's visibly worse. Getting the same to happen with Sheik is likely, is all I'm saying.

Last edited:

Koby_T

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kobyteith
Yoshi is a good secondary for Link because he has a command grab and can bypass shields with that well -- i.e. he can be counterpicked against shield-savvy players and characters. I've never seen a Link main secondary him, someone should try it.
Funny, I actually thought about taking a closer look at Yoshi the other day. His aggression in this game really looks like it may work for me.

Anyway, I came here to share this random thought: Link's bomb customs should have been reminiscent of his game incarnations. One custom could be him placing a bomb on the ground with little end lag. It can only be thrown if picked up afterwards. The second custom would be Link holding the bomb like an idiot like every 3d Zelda game. It would be an active hit box while he's holding it but then could also be thrown differently: Tossed like a shot put or rolled on the ground like in Skyward Sword....oh, and rolling it causes tripping

Last edited by a moderator:

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Nerfing top tiers is the easiest route so the one they'll make likely take. They don't go about it very wisely obviously, but people complained a lot about Diddy and he dominated tournaments then, and now he's visibly worse. Getting the same to happen with Sheik is likely, is all I'm saying.
Iunno, they nerf lower characters too. I'm not even just talking about link! Look at charizard! It might have not been much but they still gave him a slight nerf. W-why?

Last edited:
Top Bottom