• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Speaking of character icons, @ Zelkam Zelkam . I see you have a Fox icon under your name.

Question, would you like for is old Bair to return or for him to keep his new one?
I'm gonna assume you're referring to his Melee Bair when you say "old one" seeing as how there was very little change from Brawl to Smash 4. Even then, I don't really care much. I've certainly grown fond of his current Bair as an excellent finisher, but if they wanted to bring back the old one, that would be cool with me. What I really want is Brawl's Dair back. Put Brawl's Dair on Smash 4's Fox and He would become such a powerhouse.

...wait, what am I doing? This is the Link boards, why am I talking about Fox? I must steel myself to never again stray from the path of Link.

Also, no comment on why DD's captain falcon icon is there? And after I put all that effort into feigning showing interest, too.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I'm gonna assume you're referring to his Melee Bair when you say "old one" seeing as how there was very little change from Brawl to Smash 4. Even then, I don't really care much. I've certainly grown fond of his current Bair as an excellent finisher, but if they wanted to bring back the old one, that would be cool with me. What I really want is Brawl's Dair back. Put Brawl's Dair on Smash 4's Fox and He would become such a powerhouse.
Interesting. I would have to say I would like his Melee Bair back. I just seem to have an easier time to land it than his Smash 4 Bair. Though you are definitely right about his Dair. Why do Kirby and Mii Swordfighter get drill spikes but not Fox? It's really annoying.

...wait, what am I doing? This is the Link boards, why am I talking about Fox? I must steel myself to never again stray from the path of Link.
Well, this is a SOCIAL thread, so it should really matter. I think I started from the path of :4link: a long time ago, though i am thinking about picking him up again.

Also, no comment on why DD's captain falcon icon is there? And after I put all that effort into feigning showing interest, too.
Because I am interested in picking up :4fox:, not :4falcon:. :4falcon: is fun and all, but I just seem to enjoy :4fox: more.

8MAN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FourOhFour
3DS FC
4871-4261-8409
Interesting. I would have to say I would like his Melee Bair back. I just seem to have an easier time to land it than his Smash 4 Bair. Though you are definitely right about his Dair. Why do Kirby and Mii Swordfighter get drill spikes but not Fox? It's really annoying.

Well, this is a SOCIAL thread, so it should really matter. I think I started from the path of :4link: a long time ago, though i am thinking about picking him up again.

Because I am interested in picking up :4fox:, not :4falcon:. :4falcon: is fun and all, but I just seem to enjoy :4fox: more.
Why not both?

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
The problem isn't the lack of a spike, the problem is the new landing hitbox doubled with the additional landing lag. Those two factors mean that comboing anything out of it is virtually impossible. Just imagine if Fox's Dair still had as little landing lag as it did in Brawl, didn't pop enemies away when he lands, and had the benefit of more hitstun from Smash 4? He would be able to combo practically anything he wanted out of a SHFF Dair. Not to mention that it would make for an amazing kill set up which Fox is somewhat lacking of in Smash 4.
I was talking to DD there >.>

Last edited:

BaPTraPLaP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaPTraPLaP
The problem isn't the lack of a spike, the problem is the new landing hitbox doubled with the additional landing lag. Those two factors mean that comboing anything out of it is virtually impossible. Just imagine if Fox's Dair still had as little landing lag as it did in Brawl, didn't pop enemies away when he lands, and had the benefit of more hitstun from Smash 4? He would be able to combo practically anything he wanted out of a SHFF Dair. Not to mention that it would make for an amazing kill set up which Fox is somewhat lacking of in Smash 4.

Shouldn't the spoiler read "totally nothing related to Link to be found in here"

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Anyways something I forgot to mention is that the main reason why I'm stolked about this whole Zer0 thing is because I might get to meet or possibly even play the guy. The bounty on beating him will make things even more fun and intense. I may actually be going to have experience playing the best Sm4sh player in the ****ing world on my 2nd tournament ever. That's why I'm so damn exited. Wouldn't you be?

I don't care how much I'd get rekt lol. When I say I have a minimal chance of sending him to loser's I mean I have a miniscule chance of making that happen. To be honest, I still need at least a few months to a year of hard practice in the competitive scene to even compare with someone like Zer0. I don't plan on making a living off of competitive Smash though.

Lastly @ Drigo Toes Drigo Toes , don't call me "Kiddo". Just no.

I'm dying laughing. Ha ha ha ha ha no not really.

Last edited:

Hyrule Hero

Smash Rookie
Last page was kinda fun. This one is giving me some serious "
" issues...
Meanwhile, I'll be on pretty late tonight trying to get some matches in, so I'll be on in about 30 minutes to play.

I'm gonna see if I can catch @ Hyrule Hero Hyrule Hero at our next weekly and run the ditto with him for a while, and god willing there'll be some replays.
I'm looking forward to it. I'll see you at Shockwave 31!

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Anyways something I forgot to mention is that the main reason why I'm stolked about this whole Zer0 thing is because I might get to meet or possibly even play the guy. The bounty on beating him will make things even more fun and intense. I may actually be going to have experience playing the best Sm4sh player in the ****ing world on my 2nd tournament ever. That's why I'm so damn exited. Wouldn't you be?

I don't care how much I'd get rekt lol. When I say I have a minimal chance of sending him to loser's I mean I have a miniscule chance of making that happen. To be honest, I still need at least a few months to a year of hard practice in the competitive scene to even compare with someone like Zer0. I don't plan on making a living off of competitive Smash though.

Lastly @ Drigo Toes Drigo Toes , don't call me "Kiddo". Someone with grammar as bad as yours has no place in calling me that lol.

I'm dying laughing. Ha ha ha ha ha no not really.
I think you're seriously underrating something called the 'skill gap'. You don't even have a minuscule chance. You have Zero chance of winning. This isn't me being a jerk, this is me being realistic. It's not about how much time you put into practising either. Some people are just on another level than everybody else, and then there are others who are on a higher level still.
Speaking of being a jerk though, how about calling someone out on their grammar when English is their second language?

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Wow, and I can't believe DD is actually serious about what he's spewing atm. lol
I honestly think he needs to sit down and spend some time on Anther's Ladder or the character skype groups before he can really say where he stands.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Why not both?
Why not both what?

Ah yes, I see what you mean. That would definitely help Fox. Though with kill set ups, doesn't he have his jab lock, combo, thing?
Oh, it just seemed like you were talking to me.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I think you're seriously underrating something called the 'skill gap'. You don't even have a minuscule chance. You have Zero chance of winning. This isn't me being a jerk, this is me being realistic. It's not about how much time you put into practising either. Some people are just on another level than everybody else, and then there are others who are on a higher level still.
Speaking of being a jerk though, how about calling someone out on their grammar when English is their second language?
Whoops, my b. I forgot he was German. I still don't appreciate him calling me that though.

And didn't you see what I said? I know I'll get rekt, but this is going to be my 2nd tournament, so things at least shouldn't be as bad. My first tournament will be at the end of this month. And luckily I'll be getting a new phone with Hotspot enabled to spar with you guys & others soon as well. Do you think I suck or something? Just because I haven't uploaded footage of me vs. one of the guys here? Come on dude. How would you think you or the others would perform against Zer0? Great, well I'm in the same position, just quite a bit worse since I would still be lacking a lot of experience in offline tourneys. If there's one thing that I'm not though, it's a scrub. I've been playing Smash for years despite not attending official tournaments. I've also been keeping track of Sm4sh's metagame since the 3DS version's release. I think I'll be ok. Chill.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Whoops, my b. I forgot he was German. I still don't appreciate him calling me that though.

And didn't you see what I said? I know I'll get rekt, but this is going to be my 2nd tournament, so things at least shouldn't be as bad. My first tournament will be at the end of this month. And luckily I'll be getting a new phone with Hotspot enabled to spar with you guys & others soon as well. Do you think I suck or something? Just because I haven't uploaded footage of me vs. one of the guys here? Come on dude. How would you think you or the others would perform against Zer0? Great, well I'm in the same position, just quite a bit worse. If there's one thing that I'm not though, it's a scrub. I've been playing Smash for years despite not attending official tournaments. I've also been keeping track of Sm4sh's metagame since the 3DS version's release. I think I'll be ok. Chill.
>_>
So let me get this straight. You forgot that @ Drigo Toes Drigo Toes was German?
He tries to tell you exactly what I tried to tell you, calls you 'kiddo' probably because of your comparatively young age which you obviously took to be an insult for some reason, so you insulted his grammar which you later edited out even though I already quoted you.

Yes, I did see what you said. I actually read things. I quoted you saying that you had a minimal chance of sending Zero to losers, and I responded to this by telling you that you don't understand. There is a vast difference between watching a top player on youtube and actually playing them.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
>_>
So let me get this straight. You forgot that @ Drigo Toes Drigo Toes was German?
He tries to tell you exactly what I tried to tell you, calls you 'kiddo' probably because of your comparatively young age which you obviously took to be an insult for some reason, so you insulted his grammar which you later edited out even though I already quoted you.

Yes, I did see what you said. I actually read things. I quoted you saying that you had a minimal chance of sending Zero to losers, and I responded to this by telling you that you don't understand. There is a vast difference between watching a top player on youtube and actually playing them.
Is it a sin to not like being looked down on? And yeah, I understand that. But after watching many hours of his gameplay, wouldn't you think I'd have at least a slight idea of how he plays? Even then, I'll probably be able to get him to play some friendlies for a clearer picture if he's able. Look, whatever I did, my bad. I simply don't get how me being exited for CEO had led to this. Why must there always be an argument? Do the folks here have some sort of bias against me? You can tell me that this could have been avoided but that would be BS. I'm only human. I can't change my personality overnight, I'm sorry. Someone could have asked if my intentions were to actually beat Zer0 in tournament, and I would've just said "no, because I know that there's a huge skill gap between us both, but I can still try" and even then, someone will have the need to tell me "you have no chance, give up". What the hell? Stop jumping all over my ass for the slightest of "mistakes" I make and actually think about what I might've meant before you reply with your bs. Can you give me a break? Damn.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Yeah, I understand that. But after watching many hours of his gameplay, wouldn't you think I'd have at least a slight idea of how he plays? Even then, I'll probably be able to get him to play some friendlies for a clearer picture if he's able. Look, whatever I did, my bad. I simply don't get how me being exited for CEO had led to this. Why must there always be an argument? Do the folks here have some sort of bias against me? Someone could have asked if my intentions were to actually beat Zer0 in tournament, and I would've just said "no, because I know that there's a huge skill gap between us both, but I can still try" and even then, someone will have the need to tell me "you have no chance, give up". What the hell? Can you give me a break? Damn.
No not really. Watching him play against other people like him won't tell you how he'll play against you.
There's nothing wrong with being excited, but being unrealistic is another thing. If people try to correct your expectations, this is them trying to help you. If you take it personally, that's your problem.
The only thing I was unhappy about was what you said to Drigo Toes. Read survival tip 8. It might help you understand.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I've had Zero 3 stock me in Brawl. I think the point they're trying to make is you have a chance in the same way someone who's never skated before has a chance of winning an Olympic figure skating medal. The point is go, do work and have fun. If you take tourneys too seriously you'll choke.

Anyone in or near the USA want to wifi?

Last edited:

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
Personally I think too many people are getting offended by nothing.
To criticize someone for being excited to have a chance at battling a top player at a regional is petty, to take offense at a measure of age is immature, and getting butthurt about someone's second language being called into question is... actually pretty funny.
Lets all relax a second and have a good laugh yeah?

Mein Herr @ Drigo Toes Drigo Toes : Wo wohnen sie in Deutschland? Ich habe in Bitburg Deutschland geboren, wann meinen Eltern haben Der US Air force sind. Sorry if I blew my attempt, my German is pretty rusty. :troll: How's Chile this time of year anyway?

@Everyone upset that Drigo's english grammar was called out, really? By the nature of his wording "kiddo" towards DD he's purported to be of a significant enough age that he's perfectly capable of responding on his own behalf whether it befit or not.

@ DarkDeity15 DarkDeity15 I would offer some advice on how to diffuse the situation normally, but this one is so farcical I'd recommend you pay it no mind really. Just remember the sage advice I had passed down to others several pages ago (on multiple occasions)
Don't take anything here too seriously, if someone is calling you out simply based on age, you can make them look like the senile fogey they likely are with a touch of sardonic wit. As we stated collectively prior: Age is no measure of merit. In that moment it was directed to impress upon you that growing in age would not help you to grow in respect, but you must remember that a lower "age" stat doesn't inherently preclude you from earning/eventually deserving respect. What you do, and how you act will define your treatment so long as you remember to take it easy, and laugh at the droves of mindless babblery spewn at your expense.
Yeah this is probably all self explanitory and you probably didn't need a reminder, but the last couple of exchanges here prompted me to say regardless.

@ Fox Is Openly Deceptive Fox Is Openly Deceptive No worries sir, we should have this under control in due time.

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I've had Zero 3 stock me in Brawl. I think the point they're trying to make is you have a chance in the same way someone who's never skated before has a chance of winning an Olympic figure skating medal. The point is go, do work and have fun. If you take tourneys too seriously you'll choke.

Anyone in or near the USA want to wifi?
Yep, that's my main focus here. All I want out of this tournament is to have fun and gain some experience. I could care less about beating Zer0 since there's little chance in hell that I'd succeed anyhow at this early stage in my offline competitive experience. Hell, I might not even make it out of pools and I still wouldn't be mad, because I can still play friendlies for hours on end.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
It's hard to find wifi games :c. Apparently people hate fighting Link because roll glory Links roll to one side and spam in place.

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
It's hard to find wifi games :c. Apparently people hate fighting Link because roll glory Links roll to one side and spam in place.
I once fought a link on fg who rolled 6 times at the start. Six. Times.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Why is everyone saying Drigo is German? He's Chilean, you know, Zero's country? He has met and played Zero several times before Zero was "Zero" and even after...I think. So, DarkDeity15 DarkDeity15 , I think he has the most authority out of all of us here when it comes to talking about Zero and much you'll suck next to him.

But, oh well, this last page has picked up a bit after the derpiness it started as. Oh, before I forget, your poem felt more like a sad attempt at rapping than a real poem DarkDeity15 DarkDeity15 .

Last edited:

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Shameless self promotion time! @ The Merc The Merc if you're interested in picking up Fox then you should check out my guide over on the Fox boards. Its far from complete, but it should be more than enough to get you started.

@ DarkDeity15 DarkDeity15 Don't let these old fogies get you down. They've never seen you play, they don't know your potential. And keep it up with the poetry, don't let them define who you are. Go get 'em, sport.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I'm thinking about picking up Marth until Link gets some buffs myself. Marth's not amazing himself but high tiers are running all over me lately...

@ DarkDeity15 DarkDeity15 you know what you're capable of. Chances are you will lose, but dont lose hope. If you have a negative attitude you are SURE to lose. When you do go, make a powerful stance and let yourself be known. Make others feel like you're a force to be reckoned with.

And if you're confident enough, please use Link.

Last edited:

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
I can't really criticize. At least DD's doing work going to locals.
That's the difference between him and the people criticizing him. Which is also why he doesn't deserve the gang bang of negativity.

He clearly understands the result of what will happen, why have the topic linger by further insulting him?

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Shameless self promotion time! @ The Merc The Merc if you're interested in picking up Fox then you should check out my guide over on the Fox boards. Its far from complete, but it should be more than enough to get you started.

@ DarkDeity15 DarkDeity15 Don't let these old fogies get you down. They've never seen you play, they don't know your potential. And keep it up with the poetry, don't let them define who you are. Go get 'em, sport.
I honestly can't tell whether or not you're being sarcastic (thanks Elessar), but thanks. Same to those of you willing to give support. I really appreciate it. CEO is next month though, so I'll have plenty of time to improve. I'm still crossing my fingers in hopes that I could take a game off of Zer0 at least lol (either in friendlies or in a tournament set). That would be pretty dope.

@ Elessar Elessar Well it was kinda the first poem about Link I had ever made, and it took me like 10 minutes to conjure up, so yeh.

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I'm still crossing my fingers in hopes that I could take a game off of Zer0 at least lol (either in friendlies or in a tournament set).
Stay confident. Fear will get the best of you and make you lose. Watch what he does and take advantage. Its much easier said than done but you got just as much of a chance as any one else.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
That's the difference between him and the people criticizing him. Which is also why he doesn't deserve the gang bang of negativity.

He clearly understands the result of what will happen, why have the topic linger by further insulting him?
What if I not only attend tourneys but also host, and place top 5 with Link consistently? Does that mean that I can criticize him all I want? Or how about Drigo? He just went to a tourney and placed 3rd with Link. Does that count? Or did you think that you're the only main in here now who goes to tourneys?

Everybody here knows he'll lose, in both tourneys. The thing is get him to be mentally ready for that, which won't happen if everybody throws his a hug party before going. Also he has to have realistic expectations of what will happen. Again, his attitude is what is being worked on.

I honestly can't tell whether or not you're being sarcastic (thanks Elessar),
You're welcome.

That's more like it. Not good enough though since I'm not actually sore. You, however are of the dorkness, right?

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Stay confident. Fear will get the best of you and make you lose. Watch what he does and take advantage. Its much easier said than done but you got just as much of a chance as any one else.
Him being the best Sm4sh player doesn't really phase me, because I know that anyone can be as good as he is once the right amount of experience is achieved. I'm not saying that I'll become a god like he is anytime soon (probably never), but I'm also not quitting Smash anytime soon and will be around long after older players like him are gone, that's for certain.

@ Elessar Elessar Well if you're worried about me being disappointed about my placement and performance & whatnot, don't be. I'm expecting to be disappointed. All I really care about is getting a good few games here and there, even if they aren't in tournament sets.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Well whatever happens it's more than I'm doing for smash this time around. I rarely have time to play at home :/ Anyway I've got to go to work.

Good luck to all the tourney goers.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Better, much better. Keep that mindset and you will be alright. You'll still suck, but will at least be alright. Remember that not only are you playing a nerfed char, but tourney experience is a whole different thing from knowing how to play. People play differently. I'll give you an honest tip: if you can afford it, play money matches vs the tops, not friendlies. Not only will you ensure that they will play you, a random scrub, but it will also ensure that they're playing their best, not just sand bagging.

8MAN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FourOhFour
3DS FC
4871-4261-8409
Why not both what?
I mean, you could probably pick up both Fox and Falcon.
Falcon could probably cover some MU better than Fox, like Lucario for example, while Fox could cover some MU better than Falcon, like Ness.

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
Im sorry, @ DarkDeity15 DarkDeity15 . Im 29, so you are really a kid to my eyes... maybe kiddo is just too friendly? If you are not confortable with this, I will not do it again. In other hand, i do have good grammar... maybe I make some mistakes, but i can deffend myself in english environment D:, I'm german, you know...
I don't want, by any means, that you don't try to win... but the odds are that you would be destroyed... just take it easy and learn.

Mein Herr @ Drigo Toes Drigo Toes : Wo wohnen sie in Deutschland? Ich habe in Bitburg Deutschland geboren, wann meinen Eltern haben Der US Air force sind. Sorry if I blew my attempt, my German is pretty rusty. :troll: How's Chile this time of year anyway?
Derzeit leben in Düsseldorf, aber Chile ist wärmer in menschlicher Hinsicht.
Btw, right now my city is a bit cold... but we need some rain, so i think it is ok.

Last edited:

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
What if I not only attend tourneys but also host, and place top 5 with Link consistently? Does that mean that I can criticize him all I want? Or how about Drigo? He just went to a tourney and placed 3rd with Link. Does that count? Or did you think that you're the only main in here now who goes to tourneys?

Everybody here knows he'll lose, in both tourneys. The thing is get him to be mentally ready for that, which won't happen if everybody throws his a hug party before going. Also he has to have realistic expectations of what will happen. Again, his attitude is what is being worked on.

You're welcome.

That's more like it. Not good enough though since I'm not actually sore. You, however are of the dorkness, right?
You're right, I don't know why I said what I said. I apologize.

@ DarkDeity15 DarkDeity15 There's no guarantee you'll win, let alone even fight him. But one thing I highly recommend you do is always take mental snapshots of the situations he punishes you for. Not only does this help to adapt midmatch, you'll learn your faults and be able to work on them in the long run.

If there's any way you can have your games recorded, that's even better. Take it as a learning experience.

At least by playing him or some other person of his caliber, you'll understand what it takes to play at that level. It's really fascinating to watch.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I had a random thought, or rather I had a string of connected thoughts that was weird enough that I'd prefer to just call it 'random' so as to disassociate myself from it if need be XD.

It started when I watched Age of Ultron. The topic of artificial intelligences is nothing new to me or anything, but it has recently been sitting at the back of my mind because of this movie.
Anyway I got to thinking about just how an artificial intelligence is any different from us. I mean, if it can think for itself and learn etc, isn't the only real difference between an AI and us the actual stuff that it is made of? Could we as humans be easily called organic intelligences?
Ok then, so granted that, how should we treat AI if/when they ever get created? I was thinking that maybe they should be treated much like we would an alien race. So in other words, if they are peaceful enough and clearly show signs of roughly equal or even higher intelligence as well as self awareness, we should treat them with the same dignity and respect that we do with each other. This might seem a bit weird at first because when we think of AI we think of robots, i.e. technology, i.e. things designed to make life easier for us. At no point do we stop to consider the rights of the toaster. It might be difficult to understand how AI might have emotions or be able to experience pain as we know it, even though arguably these things are possible to program in (after all, what are emotions and pain other than chemicals released and interpreted in the brain caused by external stimuli etc), but I think that it's fairly uncontroversial to say that an AI that is self aware of its own existence would/could be concerned for its continued existence.
How then should this be factored into laws? Is it possible that we could be punished for the murder of an AI? And how about other crimes? Is there any reason why they should not be subjugated and protected under the same laws that we are? And assuming that the AI would be contained and restricted to the physical structure of its 'body', how exactly would you punish the AI for any breaking of the law if it is practically immortal?

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
In that topic, i have to say that IA is more dumb that we could think (at least today). As a computer engineer and phd in computer theory, i can tell you that IA is not THAT great... it is just some random stuff to SEEMS that the computer make something as thinking, but in reallity, it is less inteligent than a normal computer software in general...

Top Bottom