• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link can boomerang Cancel in Brawl (Seriously)

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
So, I was playing a match with some of my friends today and I L-cancelled with Link. No joke. My friend was Diddy Kong, I was Link (obviously) and we were playing on Final Destination. I was playing my normal spacing game to stay away from banana spam, but I figured I'd switch things up and SH a Dair after I threw my Gale Boomerang. So, I Dair'd and missed, but I was able to jab combo immediately after I hit the ground. I caught my Gale Boomerang when I reached the ground and it eliminated all the lag on my Dair. HOLY SH*T!!!!

Uair and Dair have a lot of lag and shouldn't be used carelessly because of this. But, if you throw a Gale Boomerang and catch it right when Link reaches the ground, the lag will dissapear. So, here's what we need to do to eliminate Dair and Uair lag:

Throw a Gale Boomerang upward before assaulting your opponent with a Dair or Uair. Make sure you hit the ground when the Gale Boomerang is close to you to eliminate the landing lag. Not only will the Gale Boomerang being thrown upward bring the enemy towards you, it will cancel the lag of Dair/Uair and allow you to follow up with a grab, Jab cancel, Fsmash, etc.

IMO, this technique could help Link players tremendously. Avoiding Dair lag is really important, and being able to use Uair without fear of being punished is an awesome option. Now, a Link user just need to master the timing and the placement of Gale Boomerangs to perfect this technique.

So guys, what do you think?

Barge

All I want is a custom title
This isn't techincally L-cancleing if it takes your boomerang to preform it.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
This thread totally owns the "This board become total utter garbage" thread.

Excellent find, NintenJoe. This can make D-air usage safer if done correctly.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
This isn't techincally L-cancleing if it takes your boomerang to preform it.
It can be if we assume the L stands for "Lag". :D

TECHNICALILTY.

But as far as actually pressing L for an everyday miracle like the sun rising, not so much. lol.

It's a nice idea NintenJoe, and all the power to you if you actually integrate it into your game in a practical/useful manner. I've known that the boomerang can cancel moves like Dair, but I haven't ever tried putting it into play.

Barge

Would it work with T-Link then?
Hm, well probably not with dair, that has little lag to begin with, but maybe like fair or something?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Probably.

Also: *watches every member run to the Link boards since the title shows up as "Link can L-Cancel"*

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
Hm, well probably not with dair, that has little lag to begin with, but maybe like fair or something?
Yeah it should... as long as TLink's catching animation is faster than the lag animation... but it still seems like something that would be terribly hard to put into play. X_X

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
I'll test it, but I can't promise anything. After all, I don't know if T-Link has a little "catch" animation whenever the boomerang returns to him. Results coming soon... :)

Barge

I'll test it, but I can't promise anything. After all, I don't know if T-Link has a little "catch" animation whenever the boomerang returns to him. Results coming soon... :)
He does, if your running and the boomerang is coming at you, he'll stop running for a split second and catch it.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
If the Link boards manage to get rid on the lag thing from TL's Dair/Uair.
I will legitimately second Link.
That means a lot btw. =)

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
yes it does, but TL's boomerang is slow and very accurate in its return trip which leaves less room for error. TL's boomerang can destroy the lag on his Dair, but I found it extremely hard to catch with Uair and Fair. In this case, you'll need to use different angles on the boomerang to fit the situation. For example, if TL wants to Dair someone, he'll need to full hop and throw the boomerang at a downward angle. When the boomerang makes it's return trip, TL will have reached the ground with his super fast Dair. If you miss the Dair, TL will catch the boomerang and the lag will be cancelled (and if you're lucky, the boomerang will hit your opponent on the return trip)

Simply put, yes. It works with TL. :)

Barge

yes it does, but TL's boomerang is slow and very accurate in its return trip which leaves less room for error. TL's boomerang can destroy the lag on his Dair, but I found it extremely hard to catch with Uair and Fair. In this case, you'll need to use different angles on the boomerang to fit the situation. For example, if TL wants to Dair someone, he'll need to full hop and throw the boomerang at a downward angle. When the boomerang makes it's return trip, TL will have reached the ground with his super fast Dair. If you miss the Dair, TL will catch the boomerang and the lag will be cancelled (and if you're lucky, the boomerang will hit your opponent on the return trip)

Simply put, yes. It works with TL. :)
If only it were simpler ]:
But I'll have to try this when I get back home.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
If only it were simpler ]:
But I'll have to try this when I get back home.
Wow, it's easier to remember where to throw the boomerang with TL than I thought:

Uair, SH/FH Up throw: The boomerang will angle down and eliminate the Uair lag when TL lands.

Dair, FH Down Throw: See-> Last post

Fair, SH Forward Throw: When TL lands, the boomerang will come to him. But, this ones a little harder than Dair and Uair and requires more precise timing.

Barge

Wow, it's easier to remember where to throw the boomerang with TL than I thought:

Uair, SH/FH Up throw: The boomerang will angle down and eliminate the Uair lag when TL lands.

Dair, FH Down Throw: See-> Last post

Fair, SH Forward Throw: When TL lands, the boomerang will come to him. But, this ones a little harder than Dair and Uair and requires more precise timing.
Yeah, I love Toon Links boomerang, you can hit anyone from anywhere, below stage, above, side etc.

Heroes_Never_Die

Smash Journeyman
Really??

I thought this was already pretty well known. I know I read about it on GameFAQS (lol) months ago. I just figured nobody could make real effective use of it.

I tried messing with it before, and it's potentially useful. It's just hard to find a time and place to make good use of it.

D

Deleted member

this has been known since like 64 lol, the only problem is link has lag catching the GB and that will screw you over

i hate when people come into the link boards just because they see a thread they think will help out their main, you can leave now kthx

chandy

Smash Journeyman
It's excellent idea, but it wud be very hard to time. However if it does work then the effort will be worthwhile. I'm wanna try and do this. Excellent find NintenJoe this cud rely help me with Link...

I have tried using this, the only thing it does is training you to keep an eye on your rang(which actually is kind of good, rang to double hit dsmash is wonderful).
And its somewhat useful for baiting but since its such an obvious pattern if you have seen it once its not that useful.
Its as the hylian sheild, it helps you sometimes, but dont try to use it.

I will edit this post if I want anything else said.

@NintenJoe: I always slightly miss the stage by purpose when edgeguarding that way with dair + I´ve tested that too and it takes just to much time to throw the rang. Once again: it helps you sometimes, its a good thing to keep in mind but not that useful.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
I have tried using this, the only thing it does is training you to keep an eye on your rang(which actually is kind of good, rang to double hit dsmash is wonderful).
And its somewhat useful for baiting but since its such an obvious pattern if you have seen it once its not that useful.
Its as the hylian sheild, it helps you sometimes, but dont try to use it.

I will edit this post if I want anything else said.
Imagine this: you are attempting to edgeguard another character. You want to Dair them, so you throw your boomerang upward. You jump and Dair, but your opponent doesn't jump recover from the ledge, they simply roll away from the edge instead. Instead of being punished, you catch the boomerang and follow up with an Fsmash.

I think this technique could be really useful if performed correctly.

this has been known since like 64 lol, the only problem is link has lag catching the GB and that will screw you over

i hate when people come into the link boards just because they see a thread they think will help out their main, you can leave now kthx
Yeah, but would you rather suffer from the lag on the Dair or the lag of the catching animation?

Edit: Lol, someone changed the title of the thread. I guess the phrase "L-Cancel" made too much hype.

Kyuuber

Smash Cadet
i've already known about it
but i tought it was already reported here ^^
when i posted my firts matchs with Link on youtube my friend told me that ^^
it's useful,but it's a lit bit dificult to do during the matches

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
it's useful, but it's a lit bit dificult to do during the matches
Yes, that is true, but mastering the technique could prove quite useful. I will try and integrate this into my playing style and see how things work out. If I end up receiving less punishment because of this technique and start winning more matches, I will definately post videos with the uses of this technique.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I think this was found out a while ago. There was an article on Smash Wiki. Seems good though. But pretty situational. I'll look into it.

sasook

Smash Champion
Wow, great find.

But I'm having trouble visualizing it. Can someone post a vid?

sasook

Smash Champion
Great, thanks.

On a side note, I really think for the matchups you should just link Bouse's thread. Simply because it provides all matchup info for these boards in one place, making it easier for people to find info.

EDIT: I just did it in training mode, I must say, hats off to you NintenJoe. I would love to incorporate this, but it'll be difficult.

Bakithi

Smash Apprentice
I agree with Sasook. This is pretty helpful, but I can't really imagine incorporating this in a real, fast-paced match. Thanks anyway, though. This is pretty neat.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
I agree with Sasook. This is pretty helpful, but I can't really imagine incorporating this in a real, fast-paced match. Thanks anyway, though. This is pretty neat.
It may seem hard to imagine, but if you play around with the technique a little bit you'll see how useful it can be. I just played a computer making this technique my priority and it worked really well in quick gameplay.

But that's a decision you'll have to make. Right now I'm trying to integrate this technique into my gameplay and so far it's working out pretty nicely.

sasook

Smash Champion
Don't get me wrong, I do want to incorporate this, I just think it would be rather difficult.

FEaR.7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FEaR.7
Its something I assumed everyone knew already, i remeber reading about it here of the Link boards like weeks after the US release.

Its great bringing it back though, back then it was labeled as useless but it has been useful to me the few times I've done it (which happen to be pure coincidence).

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
Its something I assumed everyone knew already, i remeber reading about it here of the Link boards like weeks after the US release.

Its great bringing it back though, back then it was labeled as useless but it has been useful to me the few times I've done it (which happen to be pure coincidence).
Yes, I agree that it can be useful but only in certain sitatuations. I personally like to use it when my opponent is shielding so I can suprise them with a Dair. :)

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I can make a vid on it later. Maybe tomorrow. But I'll have a vid out soon enough. But not today. I can't. My dad said no brawl cuz I didn't study enough. D: Ugh it's annoying.

Top Bottom