• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Light Labs: Mega Man Advance Techniques Discovery Thread

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I've been finding that MegaMan's lemons are rather useful as a "pseudo-tech."

Because his nair chains naturally into his jab, using the nair as you tumble into the ground (rather than teching normally) is a lot less punishable with MegaMan than it is with other characters.

I like to fire one pellet in the air as I hit the ground, fire another pellet on the ground, then fire a third pellet while short hopping away. Whether or not I get a sweet spotted nair on the first and third lemons, this little combo often gives me some breathing room.

"Lemon teching" isn't a perfect strategy as characters with high priority aerials can blow through your pellets and hit you. Still, it gives you one more option to deal with tech chasers, which is nice.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
When the nair grazes their head up close, it seems to do two hits that total the same damage as it normally would up close. When shorthopping, if you're a specific distance away it has the same effect, which could potentially lead to 12% with all buster shots hitting twice. When in range to do 3% with your jab, but not close enough to sweetspot a shorthopped nair, that's when you'll be able to do two hits out of a short hop with each hit.

I hold the camera as I play, so my ability to perform techniques is hindered as a result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOWKoBlMagY&feature=youtu.be

May or may not have use, but interesting nonetheless.

BBC7

Smash Ace
Is it just me, or does Slide have an odd hitbox? You know how you can sweetspot and sourspot? There's something else you can do with it, I like to call it Super Sourspot. If you use Slide while right next to someone, you will slide right behind them without doing damage or knockback, which kind of sucks, although I guess it could have mind-game potential. I tested this on Mario, don't know if it holds true for all characters or if it is character-specific.

CarterParrish

Smash Cadet
NNID
smellybutthole7
3DS FC
0404-7411-8213
I've started using ledge drop>Wall Jump>BAir onto stage. I'm not confident on its viability though

simpleglitch

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1907-8424-2856
I've started using ledge drop>Wall Jump>BAir onto stage. I'm not confident on its viability though
Will of course depend on if the stage has a good place to wall drop off of (are there any stage we know will not?).

If there are any stages without a good wall jump point below the edge, Rush Spring can be used in place of the wall jump because it has the ability to let you switch directions, but it will put you at risk of Mario's FLUDD or Greninja's Up Special and similar moves.

Last edited:

Pawsome!

All that and a Duck!
NNID
OxasOmi
3DS FC
3540-1430-6633
I don't know if this has been mentioned before but I just noticed a couple things:
1: You can send a metal blade through a Llyoid rocket to punish villager, then dodge or block the llyoid.
2: You can attach a crash bomb to a player who has just re-spawned.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
I said that about the CB a while ago. It is sure neat, but I want to see how people will handle it.
Oh, and the MB seems to be way to great ro be forgotten about.

Last edited:

K-45

Smash Journeyman
So the best use for crash bomb is when your opponent is above 70%cuz then u can knock them back with the flame sword, or if they just shield then u can rush up and grab them,

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I've been experimenting with MegaMan's aerials lately, and I've figured something out:

Short hop, fast fall nair -> jab -> jab/nair/ftilt is good. Like, really good. How did I not notice this before?

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I just realized something: a Mega Man ditto match would suck IMMENSLY. Being able to rush coil out of the lemons and evade most of his ranged attacks would prove for a very long match. This is just assuming every1 plays the MU against mega man carefully and try to attack while his guard is down since he can put out a lot of projectiles very fast.

Megaman765

Smash Rookie
Anyone ever try using his A-air point blank while someone is trying to recover below the ledge? I've only tested it out on CPUS but so far anyone who isn't villager has never been able to make it back on the ledge after being hit by it since they've wasted their double jump and aren't sent high enough to recover, even at low percents. It has some crazy knockback. Managed to gimp the demo CPUs at 20% with it. Dunno how effective it'd be against players though.

Pawsome!

All that and a Duck!
NNID
OxasOmi
3DS FC
3540-1430-6633
Anyone ever try using his A-air point blank while someone is trying to recover below the ledge? I've only tested it out on CPUS but so far anyone who isn't villager has never been able to make it back on the ledge after being hit by it since they've wasted their double jump and aren't sent high enough to recover, even at low percents. It has some crazy knockback. Managed to gimp the demo CPUs at 20% with it. Dunno how effective it'd be against players though.
You should do some more testing man. Also, be careful which moves you choose on the ledgegame because you can get seriously punished. I'd recommend a power coil (if you think you wont miss) or even just standing by the ledge with the leaf shield on. Alternatively, you can charge your fsmash and try to read the roll, or read it with a crash bomb.

Megaman765

Smash Rookie
You should do some more testing man. Also, be careful which moves you choose on the ledgegame because you can get seriously punished. I'd recommend a power coil (if you think you wont miss) or even just standing by the ledge with the leaf shield on. Alternatively, you can charge your fsmash and try to read the roll, or read it with a crash bomb.
Yeah I've tried those out. The only thing is I'm paranoid of Mario's Cape/ other reflects on the way up so I've been trying to rely less on the charge shot. Against character who can reflect at least. On the other hand, Level 9's are little cheaters so could still work out. Is either the a-air to gimp them or slash claw if I want to go in for a heavier kill at higher percentages but so far, using the point blank a-air has been succesful at gimping most of the time if they don't have a recovery like villager. I usually wait for them to get somewhat close to the edge so I can hit them after the double jump so that they're helpless. Gives you a chance to throw in a taunt too! Heheh.

Last edited:

Megaman765

Smash Rookie
By A-Air, do you mean U-Air? As in Up Aerial? I just want to be clear on which move you're talking about.
Oh whoops wasn't typing it correctly. Still trying to memorize these terms. Heh. His normal air I mean sooo N-air. I suppose. At point blank it has crazy knockback so I use that to gimp, get on the stage, and throw in a taunt just to be a little jerk

Last edited:

Megaman765

Smash Rookie
The 'n' in nair stands for neutral, fyi.
Ah right figured as much. Dunno how I don't remember this stuff. Heh. I've also been messing around with that jump cancelling tactic with the metal blades. Its not really to useful for comboing but I think it could be a fun way to fake out a throw to your opponent before actually throwing the blade itself. Again though I'd have to try it with an actual player rather then the demo CPUs but having alot of fun discovering little tricks with Megaman.

Pawsome!

All that and a Duck!
NNID
OxasOmi
3DS FC
3540-1430-6633
I'm not sure, but coming at people from above with Mega Man is usually a bad approach. I don't do a lot of ledge game with him, he has plenty of KO power anyhow. I feel like his power coil is actually a somewhat safe dair if you do it right, but that stuff can be risky, especially since part of mega man's game is spacing.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Someone mentioned this earlier, and I've been testing it.

Using dair at the peak of a jump allows MM to float, not unlike Tink in Brawl after double jumping into dair out of knockback. Difference here is though, MM doesn't need to be hit, he can even do it out of Rush.

Using short hop->dair, you can hit them forward by hitting with the side of the Hard Knuckle, and if near a ledge you can float along with them. Following that, you could even do another rising dair, or maybe gimp with a fair. I though it was pretty cool, as a stall option out of Rush too.

Megaman765

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure, but coming at people from above with Mega Man is usually a bad approach. I don't do a lot of ledge game with him, he has plenty of KO power anyhow. I feel like his power coil is actually a somewhat safe dair if you do it right, but that stuff can be risky, especially since part of mega man's game is spacing.
I do a little bit of both but I tend to keep Megaman on the ground and just use pellets most of the time while occasionally getting in close to knock them back with a point blank pellet or go for more of a grab game and just put on alot of pressure. Again, only did this with computers so could be totally different with humans. I've been going for a more aggressive Megaman that'll jump after you on the ledge at all costs with his D-air, N-air, or B-air depending on the character. So far so good anyways.

After watching Iggy's Megaman, I've been trying out his air game more with the metal blades and getting some nice results.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
His aerial MB game will be more consistent as the Wii U version comes around. Iggy has it down but I don't have enough practice doing this. He's better than me in the air but we both have a really good ground game.

The ledge game may not be as safe as Brawl's but WJ>Bair is not a bad thing. I do this often too. I think characters with an extended hit box (Link, Marth etc) will punish you hard if they are in position too.

Last edited:

BBC7

Smash Ace
I wonder what it's like to play as B-Stick Mega Man. It's probably useless, although you never know. I could imagine that people could use it to make pulling out the Leaf Shield easier, since it only requires 1 input as opposed to 2, making it more simple and quicker. I guess Crash Bomb spam would also be pretty viable this way. I'll stick to C-Stick when I get the Wii U version, but B-Stick definitely seems interesting. I wonder if it would be easier or harder to Rush Cancel with, however.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Just something I've noticed that I think is underrated...

A quick double jump (almost a SH double jump) D-air is lagless on landing... Leads to interesting punishments (tech punishes, punishing a dash attack, shield crossups, etc), and actually can combo with other moves. hard knuckle > Mega Upper is a thing, although I've only gotten the sour spot of the uppercut (probably all you can get). usmash works as well.

Obvious caveat of if you get hit out of it, you're without your 2nd jump, but given Mega's upB, I don't think that's all that bad unless you're hit with a high-knockback move so you just can't recover.

I just keep increasing my idea of Mega Man being very good in the air, honestly.

Last edited:

Pawsome!

All that and a Duck!
NNID
OxasOmi
3DS FC
3540-1430-6633
Someone mentioned this earlier, and I've been testing it.

Using dair at the peak of a jump allows MM to float, not unlike Tink in Brawl after double jumping into dair out of knockback. Difference here is though, MM doesn't need to be hit, he can even do it out of Rush.

Using short hop->dair, you can hit them forward by hitting with the side of the Hard Knuckle, and if near a ledge you can float along with them. Following that, you could even do another rising dair, or maybe gimp with a fair. I though it was pretty cool, as a stall option out of Rush too.

Been playing with this. It means you can dair off the ledge then float right back on, haha. I've even used it for recovery.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Just something I've noticed that I think is underrated...

A quick double jump (almost a SH double jump) D-air is lagless on landing... Leads to interesting punishments (tech punishes, punishing a dash attack, shield crossups, etc), and actually can combo with other moves. hard knuckle > Mega Upper is a thing, although I've only gotten the sour spot of the uppercut (probably all you can get). usmash works as well.

Obvious caveat of if you get hit out of it, you're without your 2nd jump, but given Mega's upB, I don't think that's all that bad unless you're hit with a high-knockback move so you just can't recover.

I just keep increasing my idea of Mega Man being very good in the air, honestly.
Crash Bomb always knocks them diagonally backward from where they were originally facing(So if they turn around, it will still send them in the direction opposite of where they faced when you shot it.), and I used that into a dair, followed by I believe a sweetspotted utilt. Dair to utilt is pretty cool, I love it although I don't know if I can pull it off in a match lol.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXXbWl9JNVk

In this video here, a japanese mega man uses his utilt off of the wall to recover.
Videos run poorly off my comp, what exactly do you mean by utilt off the wall?

Ledge Utilt->Wall Jump? I could see bair coming out of that too; not sure if this is what you meant but it seems like it'd be an interesting option, possible by holding down to ignore the ledge.

Pawsome!

All that and a Duck!
NNID
OxasOmi
3DS FC
3540-1430-6633
It's hard for me to explain, so terribly sorry... I'm new so I don't have a great eye for this so let me try to explain what I saw, and when I'm done with the tourney I'll even go back and edit the time it happened in.
To me it seems like he uses the utilt right off of the wall? I can't seem to utilt in the air, so I only assumed he must have used his footing on the wall to perform a utilt up and grab the edge.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Gotta say, I don't see much in that video.
Closest thing I see is that Mega is on the ledge, pulls up, and utilts (3:40-3:43ish in the video).

Pawsome!

All that and a Duck!
NNID
OxasOmi
3DS FC
3540-1430-6633
Gotta say, I don't see much in that video.
Closest thing I see is that Mega is on the ledge, pulls up, and utilts (3:40-3:43ish in the video).
Dude I swear I must've watched it 7 times and I just now realised he only jumped :(
am disappoint.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
It's hard for me to explain, so terribly sorry... I'm new so I don't have a great eye for this so let me try to explain what I saw, and when I'm done with the tourney I'll even go back and edit the time it happened in.
To me it seems like he uses the utilt right off of the wall? I can't seem to utilt in the air, so I only assumed he must have used his footing on the wall to perform a utilt up and grab the edge.
Np.

You mean he grabs the ;edge out of an utilt?

Pawsome!

All that and a Duck!
NNID
OxasOmi
3DS FC
3540-1430-6633
That is what I meant, but having examined it, I don't think that's what happened
Sorry for any confusion!

an1bal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anibalt
3DS FC
0018-2664-8234
So Ive got dash to dtilt down, but im finding it impossible to do with the utilt. Anyone have any tips on how you can dash to utilt effectively?

BBC7

Smash Ace
Here's something I found out of boredom.

Hold Down in a diagonal position(Down Front or Down Back) + X and A (X just a little bit before A)

You will do a little frog jump with Dair, it's pretty cool. I wouldn't know the practical uses, nor do I know if it was in Brawl, but it is still fun to do. Every character can do it(I'd assume), but Mega Man seems to be one of the funner characters to do it with. It also seems more practical with Mega Man, since his Dair lasts quite a while before hitting the ground, basically meaning it can hit grounded opponents easier.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Here's something I found out of boredom.

Hold Down in a diagonal position(Down Front or Down Back) + X and A (X just a little bit before A)

You will do a little frog jump with Dair, it's pretty cool. I wouldn't know the practical uses, nor do I know if it was in Brawl, but it is still fun to do. Every character can do it(I'd assume), but Mega Man seems to be one of the funner characters to do it with. It also seems more practical with Mega Man, since his Dair lasts quite a while before hitting the ground, basically meaning it can hit grounded opponents easier.
Shorthop?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Not beneficial in any way, but I just noticed Ftilt's Point Blank is inferior to Jab's Point Blank in knockback.

Also, great pic in the OP.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I just came up with a pretty fun and potentially useful technique. The AI just doesn't know how to handle this one at all, I've been totally ruining them with it.

So the key here is Rush and, shockingly, Leaf Shield.

When you have a little space on your opponent, trigger Rush with your Up+B from the ground.

Aim to bounce on Rush a second time. On the way down from your first bounce, you have four good-to-great options:

1) Fast fall fair. With this things length, priority, and disjointed hitbox, you can basically wall off one side almost completely. It's awesome, and really messes up opponents who try to chase you into the air.

2) Diagonal metal blade. This can stuff incoming short hops and hit stationary opponents, and gives you either a distraction (people just love to pick up that blade) or options later.

3) Fast fall bair. Not as good as the fair wall, but it has it's uses (more knockback, potential spike).

4) Metal Blade down and catch. Gives you more options later.

On the second bounce, trigger Leaf Shield. If done correctly, MM will have finished deploying the leaves at the apex of the second jump.

Now you simply use MM's good horizontal movement and this game's consecutive air dodging mechanic to get back to ground and threaten a throw. Even if you don't manage to get a grab, your opponent will often take a few points in damage from the leaves simply by being too close while you're dodging/shielding. If you manage to get a Metal Blade in hand (from options 2 or 4), that gives you more ways to pressure and threaten.

This could potentially be useful on Rush Cancel as well, though I find to works best when you have a little space on your opponent to start (so they can't easily chase you). Whether or not the technique ends up being useful competitively, it's a hell of a lot of fun to use against the demo AIs.

Last edited:

V_x_I_D

Smash Apprentice
NNID
V_x_I_D
Any tips on using hard knuckle? It's really punishable if it misses.

Top Bottom