• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Life Questions.

Renth

Smash Hero
I've been thinking a lot about life lately and have been changing a lot about myself. I want to share with you one of the thoughts rolling through my mind.

Have you ever stopped to think, I just scrolled through my buddy list of about 230+ people.. and I said to myself.. in 100 years every one of these names will be gone and probably forgotten.

Cs_Nexus

Smash Apprentice
Dont go to deep!
Basically, the other side of it is
By saying, what you just said, someone will remember.

I know my jerkface teacher from HS said to the class,
"None of you probably ever remember my name."
Now I cant Fn forget it!

DAng more wasted brain space, reading this! :urg:

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
I've been thinking a lot about life lately and have been changing a lot about myself. I want to share with you one of the thoughts rolling through my mind.

Have you ever stopped to think, I just scrolled through my buddy list of about 230+ people.. and I said to myself.. in 100 years every one of these names will be gone and probably forgotten.
Before the ******* turn a sprouting thread into crap, yeah I believe we all think about that sooner or later, or in multiple occasions.

I was thinking about how Earth's inevitable demise.(Whether it'd be tomorrow or in 3 million years[Andromeda] or 4.5 billion[our sun] from now)And I thought to myself, well ****, if we don't eventually move out of this planet before something ****ty happens, that would suck. Our little blue planet, gone with the dust.

However, I existentially looked at things and said; "Well, while I'm here, let's try to make the best out of life, with those that affect me."
----
Good thread, Renth. I would definitely 'rep' you if that was still around.-_-

Renth

Smash Hero
So? People die. Not much you can do about it, so why think about it.
you're a special kinda stupid aren't you?

Why think about life, why think about death? why think about anything. Go back to being a mindless drone.

50 years from now I'll look back at how much time I wasted.
Hahha Amen.

Dont go to deep!
Basically, the other side of it is
By saying, what you just said, someone will remember.

I know my jerkface teacher from HS said to the class,
"None of you probably ever remember my name."
Now I cant Fn forget it!

DAng more wasted brain space, reading this! :urg:

Enjoy your mushrooms else where kid, some of us who have hit puberty and care about intelligent discussion will continue.

Before the ******* turn a sprouting thread into crap, yeah I believe we all think about that sooner or later, or in multiple occasions.

I was thinking about how Earth's inevitable demise.(Whether it'd be tomorrow or in 3 million years[Andromeda] or 4.5 billion[our sun] from now)And I thought to myself, well ****, if we don't eventually move out of this planet before something ****ty happens, that would suck. Our little blue planet, gone with the dust.

However, I existentially looked at things and said; "Well, while I'm here, let's try to make the best out of life, with those that affect me."
----
Good thread, Renth. I would definitely 'rep' you if that was still around.-_-
Thank god this thread attracted atleast one person with a brain.

The best answer is to try to make the best out of life, live each day the best you can because tomorrow isn't a promise. Too many people take life for granted a person i knew overdosed last night. heads up kids we aren't invincible and we a lot of people should stop to think about the repurcussions of their actions.

Cs_Nexus

Smash Apprentice
Enjoy your mushrooms else where kid, some of us who have hit puberty and care about intelligent discussion will continue.
lul...
I was implying that you were on shrooms my friend!
I merely told you of A experience with that same question.

more;
Funny some one mentioned Andromedain time... thats even deeper!
but in 100 years from now... who knows?
GOD does.

basically, you wont forget someone you LOVE.
friends are great, but friends you LOVE are your real friends.
And thats living in reality... not some friends list??

Cubemario

Smash Journeyman
Why has the pool room undergone a transformation recently? It used to be plagued with God vs everything. Now it's all different people posting. It's probably because gamer4fire hasn't been on in over a month. Don't miss that guy.

Cs_Nexus

Smash Apprentice
OT: surry

Why has the pool room undergone a transformation recently? It used to be plagued with God vs everything. Now it's all different people posting. It's probably because gamer4fire hasn't been on in over a month. Don't miss that guy.
because alot of people have heard of reptilians and that organized religion is a hoax.

PS: to

The best answer is to try to make the best out of life, live each day the best you can because tomorrow isn't a promise. Too many people take life for granted a person i knew overdosed last night. heads up kids we aren't invincible and we a lot of people should stop to think about the repurcussions of their actions.

Ouch so your friend was on drugs... im sorry to heard that.
no wounder your thinking seemed irrational!

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
OK Renth what do you intend to do about it then?

lycrof

Smash Apprentice

Why think about life, why think about death? why think about anything. Go back to being a mindless drone.
What I meant is "Why worry about the inevitable". We all are going to die, most of us forgotten, why not philosophize about improving your current self or others, to live a better life now, than worry about some forgotten gamer tag in the near future.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer

Some of the most mindless people I've known were the ones who over-thought everything and considered themselves "deep".

No need to lash out at someone who has a differing point of view on life.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Some of the most mindless people I've known were the ones who over-thought everything and considered themselves "deep".

No need to lash out at someone who has a differing point of view on life.
Not trying to against you here, Livs; but to a certain degree, everyone here considers themselves that way.

Renth simply misunderstood Nexus' playful nature and took him seriously.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum

Yeah, I've thought of this, too. It didn't really change my view on anything, though, it was just a... realization. To me, it doesn't matter that nobody will know the Andrew Tuttle or Kristina Friberg or Timmy Mitchell that were important parts of my life.

omfgomfg

Smash Lord
Your eyes happened to drift to my location, I see.
lol do you know that in reality there is no point to life?

well you can always create one for yourself
i would not say that you can be wrong in creating one
for example you can live to play games or to help others - there is a plethora of things you could create to give your life meaning

slave1

Smash Lord
have you ever just sat back somewhere and looked up at the vastness of space and the world around you. Just taking in all around you and realizing how small you are.

Life questions, whats coming next in life. whats going to happen tomorrow. i am sacure in my after life plan, so my life question only pertain to whats going to happen next.

like who will be with me and who wont.

and pertaining to what is the point of life, if you have religion. i think you have some sense of purpose, but if not, i would feel so lost.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
have you ever just sat back somewhere and looked up at the vastness of space and the world around you. Just taking in all around you and realizing how small you are.
Goes something like...
You-->Truck--->Building-->State-->Country--->Earth--->Sun--->Solar System--->Many many solar systems within our galaxy--->Super massive black holes--->A galaxy--->Countless Galaxies-->The Universe--->Jesus in a white room.

diabetic_yoshi

Smash Apprentice
Wow, you guys must have just watched the Matrix, or sumthin. But I do agree with TC. My dad is a cop and he once told me something like:

"I don't care if I ever become famous for my actions, just as long as I leave the world a better place than what I entered."

One of the best things anyone has ever said, I think.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Funny how any topic can become very hostile very quickly all in the absence on sarcasm being expressible in text form.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
If you were just coming into this thread to disagree with Renth, then you're in the wrong place. If I assume correctly, this thread isn't an argument or a discussion with opposing sides... its a thread where we can all talk about the experiences or questions we've had that have seriously altered our lives or at least made us think deeply about them.

That said, I don't know why Mic was trying to be sarcastic. I do know that Cs_Nexus was on topic and on the right trail by saying that these sort of questions are a delicate balance. They're important questions to ask yourself, but if you do get too caught up in them, they can have serious repercussions on your psyche if you convince yourself that life is meaningless.

I've come to decide that while yes, humans are so insignificant when compared to the vast, dark literally emptiness that is the universe, that doesn't mean that our lives are insignificant at all. We are humans, and everything we know is from our perspective; therefore, everything we experience is important because it is the only thing we are able to define as "life." By interacting with lives that are on the same level of ours, we can influence them, love them, cherish them, hate them, share experiences with them, and spend time with them. Thats all we have really, is time. By making the most of our time by doing what we want to do (sharing experiences with those we love, doing what makes us happy, or pursuing our careers, life dreams, or goals), we make our lives meaningful.

Sure, in the end, we die. The fear that none of us know what will happen when we die is slightly baseless, and it should never prevent us from living how we want to live and accomplishing what we want to accomplish.

@Renth: I believe I know what you're talking about when you say that thoughts or discussions like these have really made you make changes to yourself. These thoughts of mine usually come with I'm depressed, when I've suffered a loss, or when I simply feel empty. After deep contemplation, I usually decide that everything is in my own hands and I make various changes in my life that can help me be happier, whether it be to end or re-establish a relationship with someone or it be to start working out or stop sleeping in.

These discussions are important. ^^

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Tom said:
I've come to decide that while yes, humans are so insignificant when compared to the vast, dark literally emptiness that is the universe, that doesn't mean that our lives are insignificant at all. We are humans, and everything we know is from our perspective;....................
No Tom, I meant in the grand scheme of things. You may die today, some may weep, ect, but the world keeps moving without you. Insignificant in the sense that it doesn't matter if you die, Europe won't care. The US won't care.

Won't affect Mars or Jupiter.

But yes, while we're here, making the best of what we can is the only acceptable option.

Existentialist would say : Suicide is never an option. The universe is everything but empty![/b Shame on you.:)

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Renth, by mocking all of those people you're embarrassing yourself

And for your original question, yes I have. It's depressing, but the way of the world is suffering. Either we can accept it, or we can end it. And unlike how so many people say, the only want to end suffering is to understand the root of suffering. Mainly, you are upset when you don't get what you want, or when you get what you don't want. Either we can try and control the material world into only giving us what we wish, but the truth is that that is impossible. Instead, what we have to do is control the other side of the equation, ourselves.The only way to end it is to uproot undesirable attachments, or basically, to let your mind go.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
No Tom, I meant in the grand scheme of things. You may die today, some may weep, ect, but the world keeps moving without you. Insignificant in the sense that it doesn't matter if you die, Europe won't care. The US won't care.

Won't affect Mars or Jupiter.

But yes, while we're here, making the best of what we can is the only acceptable option.

Existentialist would say : Suicide is never an option. The universe is everything but empty! Shame on you.:)
The miscommunication we're having lies in what we've individually defined as "significant." You say that while some may weep, the world keeps moving on without us, and we are significant because when our life ends, the world continues to turn. My statement however, which I thought I made clear in my previous post, was that we become significant when we share experiences with others. As conscious beings, our definition of life is defined directly by what we experience. When we share love or experiences with others, we touch their lives. If we were to die, the loss of our life would be a significant loss for them, specifically their experiences, which is what they use to define life. So those that weep for us are exactly what make us significant, and the experiences that we share with others are not belittled when compared to the grand scheme of the universe because our lives are made up of our experiences.

Alors, c'est la vie.

And for your original question, yes I have. It's depressing, but the way of the world is suffering. Either we can accept it, or we can end it. And unlike how so many people say, the only want to end suffering is to understand the root of suffering. Mainly, you are upset when you don't get what you want, or when you get what you don't want. Either we can try and control the material world into only giving us what we wish, but the truth is that that is impossible. Instead, what we have to do is control the other side of the equation, ourselves.The only way to end it is to uproot undesirable attachments, or basically, to let your mind go.
I completely agree that if we are to change our perspectives, we have to realize that there is only one side of the equation that we can control, and that is how suffering, and the attachments that you have stated as the cause, affect us. Helplessness comes when we attempt to change the half of the equation that is unchangeable... and yet sadly, this is the side that we all attempt to change in the beginning. You either have to let go of those undesirable attachments or you can define your life by trying to change them -- and I believe we both know which of those answers will leave us with an empty purpose. Sounds like you've been studying Buddhism, Eor.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
because our lives are made up of our experiences.
I was talking about OUTSIDE of our subjective world. People(Those who acknowledge us) may weep for our death, but after a while, they move on.

But, if you still can't understand me, and vice versa, then I apologize.

Top Bottom