• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's talk about input lag

Gouloudrouioul

Smash Rookie
So, a lot of players, including myself, seem to experience input lag when using Gamecube controllers or Pro controllers. Here's a summary of the situation :

It could be your TV :
Some people changed the tv settings to "Gamemode", and it fixed the issue.

It could be your USB port :
Some people connected the black usb port of the gamecube adapter on the USB 3 port of the switch, on the back of the dock, and it fixed the issue.

It could be your stick sensitivity :
Some people changed their stick sensitivity to "high" in the options, and they say it fixed the issue. However, I think it does not fix the problem in itself, it just makes it less obvious.

It could be your Switch

Some people just turned off their switch completely, and turned it back on, and they say it fixed the issue.

----> I tried all of the above, and it DID NOT fix the issue. And I'm far from being the only one.

This is NOT placebo : when using Joycons, the game is waaaay quicker to respond, and I feel like I'm playing the real gameplay experience of the game.
When I'm using Gamecube controllers, dashdancing is difficult, I miss most of my timings, fastfalling feels off... It's just a world apart.

The main theory is the day 1 patch messed up with the controllers one way or an other, since no players complained about it before the game came out.
My own experience validate this theory, since I played the game a little while offline without having made the day 1 patch and everything felt right. However, once I did the patch, the controls started to feel off. I didn't really know why at first, and didn't really think much of it, but after a while playing I had to come to the conclusion that it was input lag.

I'd like you to say on this thread if you're experiencing the same issue, and if you tried the solutions that I give above. This is the only way we can understand where the issue is coming from. It seems to affect a lot of people, and this is not acceptable. Specially for a game that literally is about timing.

If we can't find a way to solve this, Nintendo NEEDS to hear about this. This could ruin the game experience of thousands of players, and this could be a huge blow to the competitive scene.

criticalhit1992

Smash Cadet
NNID
Falco1994
3DS FC
2707-2104-0489
Yeah I understand what you're experiencing. With the tougher CPUs in this game the LAST thing you want is input lag and it just makes the game way more frustrating then it needs to be. I fixed my issue with my TV, it turns out I never had it on game mode and it fixed it.

Sprintle

Smash Rookie
Mine seems to come and go. Using the Mayflash Gamecube adapter. Most of the time it's fine, but I've had offline matches where all of a sudden my moves come out a second after input. Handheld mode is fine though.

Gouloudrouioul

Smash Rookie
I'm using joycons, no input lag that I've noticed.
Yes, there's no input lag with joycons. It's the Gamecube controller that's the issue here.

Actually the input lag is really subtle, but it is undoubtely there.

It's so frustrating because the gameplay of this game seems so satisfying... And I can only enjoy it fully with the worst controller :/

Gotmilk0112

Smash Apprentice
I actually used a GC controller for Smash 4, but I'm finding the Joycons just fine for Ultimate.

....but then again I'm a fuggin' scrub so that's probably why

LucasTizma

Smash Rookie
Same issues here. I switched to the Pro controller, and it’s slightly more tolerable. I’ve literally tried every possible controller method because I bought several different kinds for Smash. They all have some degree of input lag that wasn’t noticeable in Smash 4.

I think a part of this is getting used to new physics for sure, but we need some actual technical analysis of the game itself using lag measurement so we can know for sure. SOMETHING is off.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Same issues here. I switched to the Pro controller, and it’s slightly more tolerable. I’ve literally tried every possible controller method because I bought several different kinds for Smash. They all have some degree of input lag that wasn’t noticeable in Smash 4.

I think a part of this is getting used to new physics for sure, but we need some actual technical analysis of the game itself using lag measurement so we can know for sure. SOMETHING is off.
Pro controller is lagless. I have no clue what you are talking about.

Smash_breh

Smash Rookie
Maybe it’s cause I’m getting used to the pro controller from being a wiimote/nunchuck player for the past 10 years, but it still feels off to me when using the pro controller. My aerials mostly miss due to not having the correct “feel” of my char. It’s a bit better with the sensitivity up but not perfect by any means. The older games feel much less restrictive for some reason

D

Deleted member

There are reports from people using all forms of controllers, including the Joy-cons, experiencing this input delay.

Jamminjim

Smash Rookie
So I just noticed this today: Input lag is not really existent with the GC controller while in the end credits game. It could be due to the fact the space ship moves very fast, however compare how that little ship moves to the way the hand moves in the menus.

If i'm right, this would mean it's not a hardware thing just a software limitation which is good news as that can be updated with a patch.

Thoughts?

Gouloudrouioul

Smash Rookie
User was warned for this post; double posting(Please edit your posts instead)
So I just noticed this today: Input lag is not really existent with the GC controller while in the end credits game. It could be due to the fact the space ship moves very fast, however compare how that little ship moves to the way the hand moves in the menus.

If i'm right, this would mean it's not a hardware thing just a software limitation which is good news as that can be updated with a patch.

Thoughts?
Well, I hope you're right!

If the issue can't be fixed via a patch, then it's a whole lot worse than what I previously expected.

Imagine : being forced to use the joycons for the rest of this game's life...

Maybe it’s cause I’m getting used to the pro controller from being a wiimote/nunchuck player for the past 10 years, but it still feels off to me when using the pro controller. My aerials mostly miss due to not having the correct “feel” of my char. It’s a bit better with the sensitivity up but not perfect by any means. The older games feel much less restrictive for some reason
Did you try with the joycons?

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Huh.
This whole time I thought my TV was already set to Game Mode since my other channel that I use for NES and SNES classic editions was set to that, I just thought Ultimate felt off because it was mechanically different from Smash 4. Seems a lot more responsive now. Thanks for drawing my attention to this.

LucasTizma

Smash Rookie

Thoughts?
I noticed the exact same thing. The end credit game is SUPER zippy compared to the molasses every fighter is sitting in during fights. And yeah, the menus are sluggish as hell, too. But that credits game?

It’s encouraging that it doesn’t appear to be s hardware problem. (Honestly I’ve known it can’t possibly be a hardware problem, because I’ve played other quick reflex games on the Switch no problem.) Hope Nintendo a) gives a ****, and if so b) fixes it quickly.

LucasTizma

Smash Rookie
Looks like we’re right. Ultimate has the highest input lag of any Smash game: https://youtu.be/FWqSODoookc

GC controller with the data connection plugged into the back of the dock is the fastest. Pro controller is the slowest.

Losnar

Smash Journeyman
Very weird, I saw another video of this from last week that showed the lag wasn't this bad, and that brawl was worse. Did the day 1 patch add 20ms of lag wtf?

glenn

Smash Cadet
Definitely noticing the input lag. I think it might be variable, depending on the complexity of stages and characters. Deferred rendering and whatnot. Also, the switch to the unreal engine probably doesn't help. SFV had 8 frames of input lag when it came out and they finally got it in a manageable 4-5 frame range, but initially their response was that unreal made fixing it very difficult. I think it's most definitely software related. Super disappointed, in just about everything in this game, but having inputs take a back seat to makin' the game perty, is just asinine.

leejaybird

Smash Cadet
NNID
leejaybird
Doesn't Splatoon 2 have the same issue? I recall watching videos where they compared the input lag of Splatoon 1 and 2. 1 had about 50ms and 2 had around 100ms. Seems to be similar on the video shared in this thread. It's definitely noticeable.

dkenu2002

Smash Rookie
I’ve had the EXACT same problem, I just turned on Game Mode on my TV and will see if that helps when my copy of the game comes (I was using my friend’s on launch day when we discovered the input lag) . I did find out that when playing in handheld mode the delay is nowhere to be found.

leejaybird

Smash Cadet
NNID
leejaybird
Now we need Hori or PowerA to design GC style Joy-Cons. That would actually be pretty sweet, honestly.

glenn

Smash Cadet
I’ve had the EXACT same problem, I just turned on Game Mode on my TV and will see if that helps when my copy of the game comes (I was using my friend’s on launch day when we discovered the input lag) . I did find out that when playing in handheld mode the delay is nowhere to be found.
Same. Just took my switch out for a handheld session while I was waiting for my wife in the car. Surprise, the lag was completely gone. I double checked my tv when I got home and it's on game mode. Guess I'm playing this game entirely undocked until Nintendo fixes it.

ppxt

Smash Rookie
Once I put my stick sensitivity to high, the problem disappeared, maybe just try playing like that and getting used to it

you did say it became harder to notice

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736
I didnt notice at first, 'cause I wasnt using my main Falco (you know you start with the original 8 )

But as fast I unlocked Falco, I felt him off and noticed the lag. I thought it was just me and that I needed to "git gud".

McCree

Smash Cadet
Gamecube controller seems alright, but the game constantly buffering weird things is killing me, folks.
Never played with a gamecube controller before, picked one up, just for this game, and for me it still feels as if there was some kind of lag. But it could also be my imagination, since I've only used the controller for like 10h as of now

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
Never played with a gamecube controller before, picked one up, just for this game, and for me it still feels as if there was some kind of lag. But it could also be my imagination, since I've only used the controller for like 10h as of now
It does still have more input lag than previous games, but not very much more. You're not crazy haha. I just got used to it. My friends and I used to have game nights at this one friend's house, and unfortunately his TV has like 110ms of additional input lag for any console or game. It's an older flatscreen Plasma. Basically infinite refresh rate, but awful lag.

Almedin

Smash Rookie
I notice lag even with joycons. I'm pretty sure the game has a base amount of lag that cannot be removed regarding input device.

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
I notice lag even with joycons. I'm pretty sure the game has a base amount of lag that cannot be removed regarding input device.
That is correct. The video that someone posted earlier mentions that. Most unfortunate, but we'll see if they can optimize the game and fix this through patches.

Gouloudrouioul

Smash Rookie
Check this out. Found it on Reddit.
Button to Pixel Input lag analysis for smash ultimate

This video confirms the issue.
Street Fighter V had a similar issue and it seems like it got patched.
Hopefully this happens sooner than later. The game feels great besides the and some of the button logic. I would hate for this to hurt the community in the long run.
Unfortunately, we're dealing with Nintendo here...
Let's hope their tendency to be more in touch with the competitive community will make them fix the issue, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Pretty sure that wired controllers have less input lag than wireless ones. A wired pro controller should have the least amount of input lag. Also remember that there's usually a 4-frame delay between registered inputs and action.

dkenu2002

Smash Rookie
Pretty sure that wired controllers have less input lag than wireless ones. A wired pro controller should have the least amount of input lag. Also remember that there's usually a 4-frame delay between registered inputs and action.
I finally got my game yesterday and started playing with my pro controller. It was charging so I kept it in and felt no input delay (keep in mind my TV was on Game Mode) , but after it was done charging and I unplugged it from the Switch dock, I didn’t notice the input lag at first, but after a while I found that it was definitely there.

himynameisruss

Smash Journeyman
this information is wrong:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbgQdM6TcEM

I finally got my game yesterday and started playing with my pro controller. It was charging so I kept it in and felt no input delay (keep in mind my TV was on Game Mode) , but after it was done charging and I unplugged it from the Switch dock, I didn’t notice the input lag at first, but after a while I found that it was definitely there.
this is nothing but placebo. plugging in a pro controller while playing will not transfer data via the cable unless you specifically tell it to. even if it were, plugging it in is slower than wireless.

dkenu2002

Smash Rookie
this information is wrong:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbgQdM6TcEM

this is nothing but placebo. plugging in a pro controller while playing will not transfer data via the cable unless you specifically tell it to. even if it were, plugging it in is slower than wireless.
Maybe, and another reason that the difference in input lad may have happened it because I also turned my sensitivity to medium instead of high

D

Deleted member

Nintendo is updating the game with version 1.2.0 within the next week - there is hope!

Top Bottom