• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's talk about input lag

LucasTizma

Smash Rookie
Input lag on shields is so bad I can't perfect shield anything on purpose, only accident
You and me, both. And online? It's total random luck. There's no way to nail Perfect Shielding's insane timing with 100-200ms of OFFLINE input lag.

Snakechile

Smash Rookie
The input lag present on the game Is atrocious. Do you think Nintendo is going to do something for solving it?

I regret buying the Switch to play Smash Bros. Ultimate :(

Last edited:

Aemuli

Smash Cadet
I have been watching some videos on the input delay in Ultimate and I have to say I am very surprised. Out of every Super Smash Bros. game Ultimate has the highest amount of input delay which honestly sucks. I have only played the game a few times at my friend's place and it did feel different, but it was a new game so I just thought it was all in my head and I needed to get used to the feeling of it. I'd just like to hear everyone's opinions on the matter if it effected you in any way; especially since I have been hearing about the buffer issue quite a bit.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Q2I...6882/Screen_Shot_2018_12_14_at_1.22.09_PM.png

Last edited:

Pyr

Smash Lord
It's just a single frame higher then Smash 4 and sits in the same range as many other modern fighting games. At release. The vast majority of people won't even feel the difference. The ones that do will grow used to it very, very quickly.

I hate that screenshot. It gives no context what-so-ever to what the gathered data means.

Aemuli

Smash Cadet
It's just a single frame higher then Smash 4 and sits in the same range as many other modern fighting games. At release. The vast majority of people won't even feel the difference. The ones that do will grow used to it very, very quickly.

I hate that screenshot. It gives no context what-so-ever to what the gathered data means.
The screenshot shows how many milliseconds of input delay is within said game. For example, Ultimate has 21ms more input lag than Smash 4 and 40ms more than Melee. It has to do with the graphics of the game pushing the console's ability to its limit which results in delay. I was just wondering how it effected the gameplay in any way since I do not have a lot of experience with the game. However, since you imply that it isn't noticeable for a majority I appreciate the feedback.

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
I was just thinking about this the other day.... Input lag sucks. I wish I could reduce it so the game felt more responsive. I still think the game holds up well in comparison to other modern games in terms of input lag, similar to what Pyr mentioned about the comparison to other modern fighting games. I think generally, we have become accustomed to small amounts of it, but in my opinion, it doesnt really matter as long as everyone has the same length of input lag. Once you start changing the amount of input lag player to player, then it annoys me.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
This is why you should go pro, as in pro controller. I heard the GameCube controllers will have latency. I suspect this is due to having to plug one device into the Switch, which also requires one to plug the controller into the device.

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
This is why you should go pro, as in pro controller. I heard the GameCube controllers will have latency. I suspect this is due to having to plug one device into the Switch, which also requires one to plug the controller into the device.
We need someone to test this out to accurately measure input lag of gc controller w wired adapter, gc controller w wireless adapter, and pro controller.

Aemuli

Smash Cadet
Since you said that the NS pro controller has the least amount of input lag I decided to look into it. After watching a few videos going through tests and it turns out the NS pro controller has the highest amount of input lag out of all the controllers. Though not substantial, the Gamecube controller is the best controller for SSBU according to these results:

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/yKJ...6856/Screen_Shot_2018_12_14_at_1.17.51_PM.png

Aemuli

Smash Cadet
If this grinds your gears, you may be taking this game too seriously.
I disagree, input delay is an valid thing in fighting games, especially online. I do not have a lot of experience with the game so I was just wondering about everyone else's feedback.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I disagree, input delay is an valid thing in fighting games, especially online. I do not have a lot of experience with the game so I was just wondering about everyone else's feedback.
A few fractions of a second, especially if its on par with modern fighting games, is hardly something to get worked up over.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Since you said that the NS pro controller has the least amount of input lag I decided to look into it. After watching a few videos going through tests and it turns out the NS pro controller has the highest amount of input lag out of all the controllers. Though not substantial, the Gamecube controller is the best controller for SSBU according to these results:

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/yKJ...6856/Screen_Shot_2018_12_14_at_1.17.51_PM.png
And what of wired? That's one I use.

Aemuli

Smash Cadet
A few fractions of a second, especially if its on par with modern fighting games, is hardly something to get worked up over.
I'm aware that the input lag is increased by a small margin. However, many people have been complaining about it, that's why I made this thread in the first place to gather opinions.
And what of wired? That's one I use.
Some people say it makes a difference, some people say it doesn't. I'm honestly not 100% sure, but in Smash 4 the pro controller wired or wireless did not make a difference apparently. Even so, it's a VERY slight difference between each controller so I don't think it is anything to worry about.

Last edited:

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422

Well that's surprising...

I thought more about the input lag last night as I was playing. I feel like the game could be more fluid. Could feel more like melee maybe in the input lag were reduced.

And just to comment on the seriousness of this issue... If you're tryna go pro, this is a serious issue.

gumbledumble

Smash Rookie
Definitely noticing the input lag. I think it might be variable, depending on the complexity of stages and characters. Deferred rendering and whatnot. Also, the switch to the unreal engine probably doesn't help. SFV had 8 frames of input lag when it came out and they finally got it in a manageable 4-5 frame range, but initially their response was that unreal made fixing it very difficult. I think it's most definitely software related. Super disappointed, in just about everything in this game, but having inputs take a back seat to makin' the game perty, is just asinine.
It's a misconception that the game runs on the Unreal engine due to the E3 presentation. Smash Ultimate does not in fact run on the Unreal engine, Yoshi's crafted world is. I got to talk with some of Epic game's employees and they told me that it was indeed the case.

Top Bottom