• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's put a face to the name.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Gotta agree with Orbo, I'm definitely seeing 1-3-4-2-5. But the Glyph comment was spot on as we are almost unanimous that there is a big 1-5 going on at the tail ends.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
he's the 0 as in "he is ungodly amounts of sexy above the rest so he doesn't count" lol.
acrostic with the similar opinions.
sorry bout that circus :/

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
>Raz posts a picture of himself standing with some ladies
>Everyone in thread begins ranking said ladies based on their physical attractiveness
not everyone, ;)

Girls don't just exist to be pretty/thin or thick enough for you/"bangable."
*thumbsup*

I know, I suck the fun right out of everything.
*thumbsup*

I'm pretty sure that if you show a picture of a group of guys to a group of girls, then they'd do the same thing based on attractiveness.
*thumbsup*

and also the reason I didn't bring down the whole 'you're normalizing the objectification of women' rant I had in store.

On the whole I think the discussion is silly, but relatively harmless. Depends whether you're making idle chit-chat or you're that weird internet pervert.

I personally have no interest in ranking some girls in canada (?) that i'm never going to meet or speak to. But that's me. Not going to try and tread on other's fun.

verdict: all of those young people are very good looking.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I think Circus is generally against the whole idea of rating people according to physical attractiveness because it is shallow and insensitive to the people in question ect.
Pretty much.

Although I am probably more bothered by the judgement of women in this way just because it's seen as more socially acceptable than the judgement of men. Frankly, I don't agree with Joey's post at all. The vast majority of my friends and co-workers are women, and, while they certainly have preferences in men and comment on ones who they consider cute (which is all fine, imo), they don't openly rank every guy they see in some kind of hotness scale. Putting a numerical value on something like beauty irks me in general. If a girl called a guy a "4/10," it would bother me just as much as if a guy called a girl a "7/10." But it's worth noting that I've never actually witnessed the former happen, while the latter happens constantly.

The point is not that women are better and less judgmental than men. Everybody's got preferences. The point is that it's still considered acceptable for men to openly objectify women and that bums me out.

Shun Goku Satsu Rake

Oriwa Rake. Kaizo ko ni oriwa naru
I've seen the former.

Although it's much more sparse and certainly not as openly accepted as the later tends to be, so Circus' point is pretty spot on imo.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I was in an accelerated program in high school, so we had roughly all the same classmates together. The guys in class ranked the 46 girls in our class from 1 - 46. The girls after finding out were offended, then proceeded to list the 46 guys in our class and made a listing. During high school I had insanely bad acne, it didn't help that I have this very round oriental face so I literally looked like a greasy pepperoni pizza at times and felt very conscious about how I looked. I didn't need to know my ranking on that list because I had the convinction that I would be near the bottom. Acne aside, the people in my class were very polished and put together. I was still half-asleep in most of my classes and donning gym shorts and thick underarmor hoodies per regular wear.

Let me tell you that when you talk to people who are looking at you, there is something in their body language that gives them away when they think you look like a slob, smell, or are a mess. Sometimes it is better if you have them tell you that they think you're ugly because they are so bad at masking the fact that they want nothing to do with you, however are forced to deal with the circumstances. There are too many important moments in life where people will judge if you don't dress the part. Physical attractiveness is a big part in factoring in getting some big things you want in life and you may win or lose on it and have to look somewhere else. So if people are going to reject me for having a certain look about me that they didn't sell them, then by all means tell me what's wrong. Pretending that it doesn't matter is the worst.

Politeness and political correctness is great when I'm feeling depressed and emotionally injured. But the blatant truth is that people discriminate when it comes to several big decisions and I would prefer having people be straight with me, especially when it comes to make or break decisions. I can deal with being ugly. But I cannot deal with something blocking me from getting what I want and not knowing what that wall is and why I can't knock it down.

Also I WOULD feel bad under this circumstance:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I see nothing wrong with talking about how attractive each girl is to you in order.

I mean, this is like, normal guy talk in a nutshell.

"Hot chick at 10 o'clock."
"What, you think she's hot? What about the one at 3 o'clock?"
"She's aight, but I'd hit up 10 o'clock ten times more fast than I would 3 o'clock."
"I can see where you're comin' from with dat."

I dunno Circus, I feel like you're blowing this up out of proportion. If I was legit friends with these girls, then I most likely wouldn't talk about them out loud in such a nonchalant fashion.

Acrostic, I like you ten times more because you're asian. I'm literally giving up my escapades of proclaiming non-racial bias right now. Also, I agree with you that people ultimately kinda give themselves away to you anyway when you're getting a good read on them.

Shun Goku Satsu Rake

I know that feel Acrostic.

And i know what you mean wrt the body language. There were people in my junior high school who i knew when they talked to me wanted to get away as fast as humanly possible because of how they perceived me.

To me the difference was i never cared , and nor did i feel like taking the time to show those people the truth about me because in all likelyhood they either weren't going to care , or they would simply pass me off regardless.

Relevance: /old salt /old salt

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
@Acrostic:

That's fair enough, I guess. But I personally enjoy living in a world that doesn't feel the need to notify me of all of the flaws it perceives in my physical appearance, especially since there's nothing I can really do about them. My main reference point for my own physical attractiveness is myself, and that is something I can maintain because I don't have to see other people sizing up other dudes and picking out the things they find repellent about them with any regularity. If I were a woman, I would have no such option.

You can say it would be to my advantage to get a more objective concept of myself by getting opinions from other people, but it's at least nice that I don't have to. As a guy, you get to say "be honest with me," if you want to. Women don't get to do that. Even if men are polite in front of a woman's face, women still see the way other women are viewed through the media and their guy friends (and girl friends!) and gather things from that. They don't get to just not know how they rank, because they know what the popular opinion in society is, in general at least, and they apply that to themselves. So a woman's perception of herself is often much more based on external sources than a man's is. Whether they want it to be or not.

Of course, that's not to say that society doesn't have opinions on empirical attractiveness for both genders, but the difference between what "attractive men" and "unattractive men" are able to achieve isn't portrayed as an uncrossable chasm. In our society, we're pickier about what women are allowed to look like while obtaining a certain degree of power or success. Look at any of an unending slew of news stories raging about a female celebrity's weight gain, as if that should do anything to disqualify her from singing or acting or being a role model for anyone. Meanwhile, Gerard Butler gains or loses 20 pounds and hardly anyone bats an eyelash. Compare the physical insults hurled at politicians like Sarah Palin and Nancy Pelosi, while essentially all male politicians are free to walk around looking like anything as long as they're in a suit and their hair doesn't go past their ears.

I dunno Circus, I feel like you're blowing this up out of proportion. If I was legit friends with these girls, then I most likely wouldn't talk about them out loud in such a nonchalant fashion.
I'll admit that at this point I'm talking about a broader issue than what has occurred specifically in this thread, but it's a symptom of the same core concept. I think you think I'm blowing this out of proportion because you, as a guy, potentially with a lot of guy friends, don't have to think about this much. I mean, you yourself just described "typical guy talk." The assumption there seems to be that, because it is typical, it must also be okay. And it would never seem like that big a deal to you if you're not often challenged on it. And people normally don't challenge this kind of thing because it is seen as typical and the person who says something about it ends up being like me right now, sucking the "fun" out of the event. No one likes boat rockers.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I would have sex with all of them almost as hard as I would have sex with myself. Also I rate girls outloud to their face that way they know the deal before anything starts except instead of like me Tarzan you Jane its like me 10 you 7

:phone:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
It just feels like a "guy thing" to do, I hear about girls doing this a lot too when they're bored. It's nothing personal mang.

Like, take my relationship with you for instance. I consider you a bro, so I wouldn't try and go out of my way to upset you or do something that would mess with your head, y'know? But if you're just some random johnson that I literally have no relation to in any way, shape, or form, I'm subconsciously going to not restrict my behavior towards you because I harbor no attachment.

I used to be the fat kid in school. Really unattractive in terms of physique. So I can see where you're coming from. But this is all really harmless stuff. Like, if I knew there was any chance of those girls finding out, chances are I wouldn't be talking about them like this because yeah, I can see girl #5 getting upset about being considered the least attractive girl on average in comparison to the other girls, so that would definitely be on my conscience, and I'd probably tell her I'm sorry to upset her 'cause that would be the thing I'd normally do. But I'm not trying to be a ****, and no one here is trying to be a ****, it's more or less idle chit chat and doesn't serve to intentionally hurt anyone's feelings.

Man, this isn't even abnormal. People are always like "Emma Watson IS SO HOT," and then someone else is like "NO, CHRISTINA HENDRICKS HAS THE GREATEST RACK ON THE PLANET, SHE IS HOTTER." It's such a natural thing to do lmfao, I'm not trying to rain on your parade because I do understand how you feel that "rating people is kinda dehumanizing them by trying to give them an objective value," but we're not really performing an indepth analysis/rating these girls on a scale of any sort. I just ranked them based on how attractive they are to me. Talking about our opinions and sharing differentiation is like one of the main cruxes of human conversation, this is nothing new. The topic of attraction came up pretty naturally and I don't feel that anyone here is being a douche.

'Cept maybe Kevmo.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Dammit.

I had this stupidly long post typed up and smashboards ate it. There's no way I'm typing that again.

Short story is this: what you're saying isn't related to what I've been arguing about (it's not about those specific girls finding out about these specific comments and being offended, nor about people in this thread being ***** or not, nor is it about whether or not it's okay to express attraction to another person, etc.), but when people do things like this, I feel the need to shine a spotlight on how we think about people and how we treat them. Why did guys in this thread feel the need to begin putting those girls in orders of attractiveness? Why are beautification products (make up, wrinkle reducers, cosmetic surgery, etc.) marketed almost exclusively to women when those same products would benefit men in exactly the same ways (it's not like men don't get wrinkles)? Why do gossip sites and channels get mad at Britney Spears for gaining 5 pounds when Russel Crowe can gain 30 and it gets little more than a point and a shrug?

You're also still using words and phrases like "natural" and "not abnormal" to justify the way guys talk to other guys about girls. I think it should be obvious by now why that doesn't work.

And it's not like I hate everyone who participated in the ranking now. I still love you, B-dull, and this didn't change that. But if you believe that sexism is a thing, and that it's bad, but that what happened in this thread is not a symptom of it, then I think you're just a little bit delusional.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Guys started talking about their preferences in regards to the girls because Glyph jokingly made a sexist comment, and then I was like "lol, that's messed up, BUT, since we're on the subject, IMO #4 comes before #3" in a silly and conversation spurring fashion. I don't think anyone just randomly started posting in a sexist fashion though.

I agree that people giving female celebrities a ton of **** for gaining weight and not giving male celebrities the same treatment is interesting, but I feel that's kinda irrelevant to this conversation. Like, if the topic of who we feel is the most attractive guy in <insert community> came up, none of us would really think much of it and just start giving our opinions because conversation is fun. I can potentially see a problem arising if we started talking about the most attractive dude in Dgames though, but that's irrelevant.

Like here: most attractive dude is probably...man, I don't effing know. LOL. Like, if the topic "who is hotter between these two dudes" randomly came up in conversation, I would state my opinion and elaborate for the sake of fun conversation. Does that mean I hate on dudes and it subsequently makes me a male feminist? No...it's just downright hilarious and fun.

I'm not necessarily trying to use the argument that "ranking girls is normal for guys and thus it's ok to do so" at this point, I'm trying to substantiate why it's normal/not wrong. I'm probably not doing the best of jobs because, well, it's hard to find the right words for it. I know your argument is that "just because something is standard doesn't mean it's right" because we have a long history as a species of dealing with that ****. For the record though, I pretty much equate this conversation to like...trying to decide whose biceps are better between Arnold and Louie (weightlifters). Like, it really isn't that big of a deal to me.

I dunno man, as long as we acknowledge that these girls are real people, and can approach them as real people after this discussion is over, I don't see it as a problem per se. That's not to say that I'm sexist, I just, eh, EH, I can't help my mind man, I'm a dude and I like girls and it's fun to compare opinions and I just don't think I'm being sexist. @_@

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I CHALLENGE YOU TO THAT ****!

nah i'll pass...until I can get plastic surgery in order to look just like you, that is. ;D
:gova:

Damnit, there needs to be a BarDulL face.

:bardull:

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
I'm going to put my name in that running as well.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
I would have sex with all of them almost as hard as I would have sex with myself. Also I rate girls outloud to their face that way they know the deal before anything starts except instead of like me Tarzan you Jane its like me 10 you 7
*puts on all 4 shades *

BAWSS!!

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
on the subject of attractiveness, has anyone legitimately found someone more attractive after getting to know them/them showing an appealing personality or whatever?

Not even talking about an abstract "personality matters too" here, but like, say you meet some chick you wouldn't go out of your way to look at a second time, but you get to know her, she turns out to be awesome, and then you start noticing physical features/quirks you find super hot that you weren't noticing before

This has been a recent phenomena with me and I thought it was weird and on topic, so here we are

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I'm 6'0" for those wondering.

Personal ratings and responses to **** I feel should be responded once I'm on the bus and not freezing my fingers typing this.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Firstly,

2-3-1. 23 is number 1!

*shot*

No but really,

5-3-1-4-2.

Screw the haters, I like #5.

On the subject of such rankings, I honestly don't see any issue with it when the odds of them finding out here are astronomically tiny.

However, doing such a thing with the intent to belittle and hurt people is obviously not cool. Such things are meant for "guy talk" and not much else.

€2

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Oh right, wrt the sister thing:

My sister is objectively (inb4incestjokes) hot, and if you go vote for me in the interview thread, maaaaaaybe I could be convinced to post a picture.

(with her consent)

Shun Goku Satsu Rake

Raz, your shortish man.

Also, on the topic of sexism, while ranking the girls could be a subset of it, it could have been much more sexist than it was.

For example, I could have made a comment like : I didn't know they held smash tournaments in the kitchen.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
lolwat @ 6ft = "shortish"

average height in north america is like, 5'9 maybe 5'10. That makes Raz "tall-ish". Not particularly tall, but slightly above average.

*****es don't know bout statistics

unless rake made love to him and was talking about other things entirely

that I could buy

(goddamn maritimers)

Shun Goku Satsu Rake

shortish in comparison to people i know.

also, i'm not a maritimer, so i don't hump whatever floats up on shore.

Those stats also would make me "particularly tall" / a good bit above average then lol. I never knew canadians were so short on average

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
also I dunno about the whole objectification thing

it's totally got the veins of sexism running through it, yeah, and the way it came up in this thread seemed a little callous, but you gotta bear in mind that the only reason they were assigned numbers, as impersonal and "women ARE MEAT" as that seems at first blush, is because nobody knows their names

I mean the whole reason Raz shared that photo was "look at me and all these sexy ladies", and I mean I dunno **** about **** when it comes to tournaments but I'm pretty sure the girls in the photo were having a laugh doing their "lets be sexy ladies in a photo with this one guy that'll be fun" thing. Seriously, when do five women form a pack around one guy as the centerpiece and take a photo without some of that in there? They're conveying a pretty clear message there but it's also clearly meant to be all in good fun

and it strikes me as naive to think that women don't do similar things. Like, yeah, they don't break a guy down into a 1-10 scale (to my knowledge, anyway) but they definitely play the comparison game. If a girl took a photo at some thing that women do with a bunch of shirtless dudes surrounding her flexing, everybody doing it for a laugh, would the gal pals she shows it to really not start ranking them? Nah. Nah. I mean I don't pretend to have a massive sample size here or anything but I've definitely seen plenty of such examples

With that said, the bit about insults hurled at female politicians and celebrities and stuff vs the blind eye turned to similar things is 100% on point and a total blatant case of endemic sexism. But I also think that's different... societal constructs and ideals aren't directly applicable to the thinking of your average joe... I mean, idealizations like these are created for particular reasons in the first place, right? I really don't know why the media constructs are so cruel to women and nonplussed by men, but there you have it. Probably a holdover from the explicitly patriarchal era, I dunno. Either way it's a shame.

though I just wanna be clear that when you mention the insults hurled at Sarah Palin, you're talking about those related to her appearance, bikini photographs etc, and not her literally empirically proven incompetence and stupidity. Because, oh man. That was certainly some kind of real thing. A thing Aych Dubs also had going in spades and was continuously rousted for, I might add

I mean I'm sure you were talking about the comments focusing on her appearance but ya never know I guess

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I like telling people that the average height in the US is 6'7 making me a little below average and then telling them RI just happens to be a very short state.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
@Rake: I'm confused. I said North America, not Canada. Did you think North America = ... the North of the American supercontinent... or something..?

EDIT: lol kevmo

master troll as always

Top Bottom