• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Battle of AGES, a SEGA platform fighter

What's the roster number gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
Sonic Capsule Toys Submission:

Super Sonic
Debut:Sonic the Hedgehog 2
System Debut:Mega Drive/Genesis

Mecha Sonics
Debut: Sonic the Hedgehog 2/Sonic the Hedgehog 3
System: Mega Drive/Genesis

Amy Rose
Debut: Sonic CD
System Debut:Sega CD

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Going to submit some Capsule Toys for Bayonetta, since there's not many for the series at the moment.

Luka Redgrave
Debut: Bayonetta (October 29, 2009)
System Debut: Xbox 360, Playstation 3
"An investigative journalist, Luka became obsessed with pursuing Bayonetta after he mistakenly believed that she killed his father. Armed with nothing more than a grappling hook, a ton of luck, and a spectacular sense of timing, Luka often proves to be an unexpected wildcard."

Affinity
Debut: Bayonetta (October 29, 2009)
System Debut: Xbox 360, Playstation 3
"Affinities are some of the lowest ranked angels, and as a result, they are often used as target practice for the likes of Bayonetta and Jeanne. Weak and gullible, they are only a threat to an Umbran Witch in large numbers."

Loki
Debut: Bayonetta 2 (September 20, 2014)
System Debut: Wii U
"A mysterious amnesiac boy with a burning desire to reach the top of the mountain Fimbulventr. He has mysterious powers such as magical playing cards and the ability to turn into a squirrel, and yet he is neither a Lumen Sage nor an Umbran Witch."

I don't know if I need to include descriptions or not, though I edited them in; I can come up with more later, though from what I saw, I'm only supposed to stick to three per post. (not sure if I should include Jeanne or Balder yet since it's unclear if they'll become playable later on down the line, so I'd rather use my three submissions on characters that won't be playable)

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I don't know if I need to include descriptions or not; I can come up with more later, though from what I saw, I'm only supposed to stick to three per post. (not sure if I should include Jeanne or Balder yet since it's unclear if they'll become playable later on down the line, so I'd rather use my three submissions on characters that won't be playable)
I believe the addition of bios in Capsule Toys are heavily encouraged as everyone loves some delicious flavour text to learn more about these characters, but they aren't enforced.

Talking of:
  • Wang
    • Series: Dragon Wang/Kung Fu Kid
    • First Appearance: Dragon Wang
    • System Debut: SG-1000
Wang is a young kung fu master who musy make his way through a tower filled to the brim with evil martial artists who have kidnapped his love interest, Kyoko. To do so he must defeat the various kung fu bosses including Warpman, a teleporting martial artist, RB-TT, a laser firing robot head, Hund, a metal chain and weight weapons user and Jonathan, which is a warping pair of trousers. Wang's Kung Fu Master Taylon is later killed, and Wang, who has already seen his fair share of odd opponents in his attempts to woo Kyoko, must now fight his way through jiangshi, frogs, zombies, and witches to extract revenge for his fallen master.
  • Rolly Roll
    • Series: Billy Hatcher
    • First Appearance: Billy Hatcher & The Giant Egg
    • System Debut: Gamecube
Described as sweet but scatterbrained, Rolly Roll is one of Billy's three friends who were drawn into Morning Land to save it from the crow invasion. Like Billy, Rolly was given a Legendary Chicken Suit by the Chicken God Menie-Funie, but was defeated at Pirate's Island whilst trying to save the Chicken Elder. By the time Billy arrives, Rolly is tied up and placed next to a bomb, giving Billy very little time to rescue her. Once saved Rolly will have her own missions to obtain more crests and lend Billy a hand with his battle against Dark Raven.
  • Jam
    • Series: Super Monkey Ball
    • First Appearance: Super Monkey Ball: Step & Roll
    • System Debut: Wii
Jam is an energetic ape who is a real fitness nut. He is very supportive of the Super Monkey Ball Gang but said to not be very bright, and his singing is so bad he easily annoys the other monkeys. Jam is always down to help, and has taken it upon himself to become AiAi and the gangs personal fitness coach to help them build up the strength they need to conquer any course. Whether AiAi and the others actually want him to put them through a fitness regime or not is largely irrelevant.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Aight, I think it's time we close the vote. Let's take a look:

Shared Content: 6 points
Capsule Clash: 14 points
LOTS: 4 points
Segata mode: 13 points

And with that, our final base game mode will be Capsule Clash!!! That being said, I've also decided to add Shared Content as well because to be completely honest, that feels like the kind of basic obvious mode that should have been in my original mode draft. I kinda just....missed it completely, and looking at it now, that feels like the one big omission in our modes. We're doing more modes in DLC, and it feels like a good call to just get it out of the way. But our winner in terms of, like, "special" modes is indeed Capsule Clash!!!

Moving on, it's time for our next character job:

Job #154: Submit a SEGA character who debuted in an arcade game.......again

That's right! We're doing arcade characters!......Again! We decided on this!

So er yeah, just submit a SEGA character from an arcade game. The only big rule here is that it's gotta be someone from a series that doesn't have any playable reps yet. ok now bye

Arcade Character submission:
Gilius Thunderhead (Golden Axe) (Resubmission)

View attachment 344792View attachment 344793
(Artworks taken from Sonic and Allstars Racing Transformed and SEGA Heroes)

Who is Gillius Thunderhead?
Gillius Thunderhead
is one of Main characters from popular Golden Axe series, which it debuted on Arcade. It takes place in fictional land of Yuria during Hyborian Era and 3 Heroes need to fight through the land to get into Adder's Lair and Defeat him like in Beat'em up games. (Actually, Golden Axe is a beat'em up game)
His series got some games in 80's and 90's along 3 in 2000's, which is actually interesting for it's fans and SEGA fans.
(And his series were possibly inspired by "Conan the Barbarian" book)

Gillius is Miner Dwarf, who Attacks with his Axe and sometimes rides on Chicken Leg monsters.
He appeared as Playable Character along with Ax Battler, Tyris Flare in Golden Axe on Arcades back in the 80's.

He and his games are really popular that his legacy keeps existing by appearing in other SEGA games like "Sonic and Allstars Racing Transformed" (Interestingly, he was originally planned to be in Sonic and SEGA Allstars Racing, but he was Scrapped from Roster and came back later to Transformed) and he appeared in now-discontinued game called SEGA Heroes on Mobile phones.
He also even appeared as Playable Character in SEGA Superstars Tennis, which is also very cool.
His iconic series could really get more representation than being just an item.

How the Heck Gillius would work?
A lot of you guys are asking how the heck he could work in Platform Fighter.
Well first, he could be Middleweight "Rushdown" character that doesn't have any additional movement options like air dashing.
His moveset could be similar to Golden Axe Fighting Game that was released in 90's, which he could use his Axe in Attacks. He could also use magic like Lightning magic as Neutral Special (Making him as Sora of Battle of AGES) or etc.
His Allstar Move could be where he calls the Tyris Flare and Ax Battler to attack the opponents in cutscene like Hero in Smash.

His design is Based on Allstars Racing Transformed Incarnation, but he would be more detailed to make him more realistic. His alts are gonna be inspired by Golden Axe characters like Death Adder.

Why Gilius for Battle of AGES?
Do you guys wanna know why I want Gillius?
That's because there are a lot of Reasons I wanna tell:
  • Gillius is one of really popular GA characters and he deserves a spot on the Roster.
  • Gillius could have more unique moveset potential that could make GA more interested.
  • His Inclusion would be tribute to Golden Axe games.
  • He is another SEGA Historical rep that could appear in the Roster.
  • In Throgi's Arcade's video, he was in the Roster, meaning that he was very popular character back in 90' and he is still relevant to that day.
  • He definitely fits into Fighting Game as no-brainer pick, since he appeared in one before.
  • His series were big on Arcade machines, making him very likely into SEGA crossover game.
  • The Inclusion of his series would be cool, especially we could have GA Assist like Tyris or Death Adder.
You know, there are a lot of reasons why Gillius Thunderhead needs to be in Game in base roster as SEGA Arcade Rep.

Final Words:
Again, thank you so much for reading my submission, especially Speed Weed Speed Weed . Gilius and Harrier are most wanted 1st Parties for the fighting game and that's why I'm submitting them in this job.
- Tankman from Newgrounds, 2022

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Arcade Character submission:
Gilius Thunderhead (Golden Axe) (Resubmission)

View attachment 344792View attachment 344793
(Artworks taken from Sonic and Allstars Racing Transformed and SEGA Heroes)
Who is Gillius Thunderhead?
Gillius Thunderhead
is one of Main characters from popular Golden Axe series, which it debuted on Arcade. It takes place in fictional land of Yuria during Hyborian Era and 3 Heroes need to fight through the land to get into Adder's Lair and Defeat him like in Beat'em up games. (Actually, Golden Axe is a beat'em up game)
His series got some games in 80's and 90's along 3 in 2000's, which is actually interesting for it's fans and SEGA fans.
(And his series were possibly inspired by "Conan the Barbarian" book)

Gillius is Miner Dwarf, who Attacks with his Axe and sometimes rides on Chicken Leg monsters.
He appeared as Playable Character along with Ax Battler, Tyris Flare in Golden Axe on Arcades back in the 80's.

He and his games are really popular that his legacy keeps existing by appearing in other SEGA games like "Sonic and Allstars Racing Transformed" (Interestingly, he was originally planned to be in Sonic and SEGA Allstars Racing, but he was Scrapped from Roster and came back later to Transformed) and he appeared in now-discontinued game called SEGA Heroes on Mobile phones.
He also even appeared as Playable Character in SEGA Superstars Tennis, which is also very cool.
His iconic series could really get more representation than being just an item.

How the Heck Gillius would work?
A lot of you guys are asking how the heck he could work in Platform Fighter.
Well first, he could be Middleweight "Rushdown" character that doesn't have any additional movement options like air dashing.
His moveset could be similar to Golden Axe Fighting Game that was released in 90's, which he could use his Axe in Attacks. He could also use magic like Lightning magic as Neutral Special (Making him as Sora of Battle of AGES) or etc.
His Allstar Move could be where he calls the Tyris Flare and Ax Battler to attack the opponents in cutscene like Hero in Smash.

His design is Based on Allstars Racing Transformed Incarnation, but he would be more detailed to make him more realistic. His alts are gonna be inspired by Golden Axe characters like Death Adder.

Why Gilius for Battle of AGES?
Do you guys wanna know why I want Gillius?
That's because there are a lot of Reasons I wanna tell:
  • Gillius is one of really popular GA characters and he deserves a spot on the Roster.
  • Gillius could have more unique moveset potential than other GA (Sorry OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos and Flyboy Flyboy )
  • His Inclusion would be tribute to Golden Axe games.
  • He is another SEGA Historical rep that could appear in the Roster.
  • In Throgi's Arcade's video, he was in the Roster, meaning that he was very popular character back in 90' and he is still relevant to that day.
  • He definitely fits into Fighting Game as no-brainer pick, since he appeared in one before.
  • His series were big on Arcade machines, making him very likely into SEGA crossover game.
You know, there are a lot of reasons why Gillius Thunderhead needs to be in Game in base roster as SEGA Arcade Rep.

Final Words:
Again, thank you so much for reading my submission, especially Speed Weed Speed Weed . Gilius and Harrier are most wanted 1st Parties for the fighting game and that's why I'm submitting them in this job.
- Tankman from Newgrounds, 2022
my guy

my dude

You really don’t have to **** talk me for a character submission i made when i misread the prompt. This isn’t a competition, we’re just submitting characters we think are cool. You can just submit the funny dwarf man (who I also really like, by the way!) without turning it into a Feud™️ every time you bring him up.

my guy

my dude

You really don’t have to **** talk me for a character submission i made when i misread the prompt. This isn’t a competition, we’re just submitting characters we think are cool. You can just submit the funny dwarf man (who I also really like, by the way!) without turning it into a Feud™️ every time you bring him up.
Sorry, I forgot to edit it out earlier.
I know it sound rude, but I've removed that, right now which is also a good quality for a submission.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Honey (Fighting Vipers)

Honey is a character from the fighting game series Fighting Vipers. She was known as Candy in some versions. A fashion student who joined a fighting tournament to promote her fashion line. Honey is technically not the main character of that game, but she became extremely popular, having dolls and other merch made of her and even having a Sonic character based on her appearing in Sonic the Fighters.

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
Job 154: New Arcade Character

My choice is Johnathan Musashi from Shinobi(He is called Joe but Johnathan sounds funnier so I used it)

Joe Musashi is the main protagonist of the Classic Shinobi Series

The reason for this: Joe is one of the main flagship characters from Sega alongside Sonic and Alex Kidd as he was a SEGA Mascot during the 80s when ninjas were all the craze.

Though Golden Axe is the more popular and I would understand if you pick Gilius over Johnathan

and also... Sonic Capsule Toy Submission:

Mighty and Ray
Debut: SegaSonic the Hedgehog
System Debut: Arcade

Witchcart
Debut:Tails SkyPatrol
System Debut: Game Gear

Waku Waku Car
Debut:Waku Waku Sonic Patrol Car
System Debut:Arcade

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
"GET READY!" (cue "In the Blue Sky")

Job #154: New Arcade-Originated Fighter - Temjin (Virtual-ON)

Temjin is one of the playable and most reoccuring mechs in the action shooter/3D fighting game-hybrid video game series Virtual-ON, which was developed by SEGA AM3's team led by Juro Watari and designed by the legendary Gundam character artist, Hajime Katoki. It was first released for arcades in 1995 with Cyber Troopers Virtual-ON, which features large fighting mecha robots called Virtuaroids/VRs who are armed with weaponry and controlled by players in fast-paced battles against enemy Virtuaroids with their twin-stick controller, in which two joysticks are complemented by an array of controls (which were later developed and released specifically to be used with it's SEGA Saturn port in 1996). It's success achieved three mainline sequels: Oratorio Tangram (1998), Force (2001) and Marz (2003), alongside a crossover game in 2018, A Certain Magical Virtual-ON with Dengeki Bunko's light novel series, A Certain Magical Index, and a recent PlayStation 4-exclusive collection of the trilogy, "Cyber Troopers Virtual-ON Masterpiece: 1995-2001", which was released in Japan the following year (2019).

Thanks to the original games being big hits on arcades and them revolutionising the use of the twin-stick control system (as it's highly unique control scheme was used like industrial machinery, with promotional lore claiming that the arcade machine is actually a remote operation device sent from the future in search of "Virtual-ON Positive" pilots) at a time, the series has quite a cult following, and many related merchandise like plastic models, figurines, light novels & audio drama CDs. And finally, SEGA seems to like referencing it all the time, most shining examples being:
  • The original game can be found and played at Club SEGA arcades in Yakuza Kiwami 2 .
  • Recognizable mechs like Temjin himself and Fei-Yen appeared as playable guest characters in Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 and Senko no Ronde 2.
  • An unspecified Virtual-ON character was planned for Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed, even with a finished model, but was unfortunately scrapped due to apparent ownership issues. (very sad moment)
    • Imagine how that would've been like, with either:
      • Cypher from Oratorio Tangram, as he can transform into a fighter jet.
      • Temjin himself who floats on the ground like Opa-Opa, complete with his All-Star Move being that surfboard move I'll explain below and a remix of his iconic theme, "In the Blue Sky".
      • Bal-Bados would also work, thanks to his unorthodox size and "ejectable remote limb system".
  • During SEGA's 60th anniversary, their pfp thing had like a bajillion Virtual-ON icons and even their big music albums has some songs/tracks (trust me, there's a big list of awesome ones and a vocal track by our good ol' Takenobu Mitsuyoshi).
As the mascot/face of Virtual-ON, Temjin's pretty much the poster bot. Since Virtuaroids are quite huge, it would be reasonable to scale him down, but still have him as slightly taller than most fighters, like how Ridley was handled for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate after he was originally left behind as a boss in Brawl, because of his size.

For his playstyle, Temjin works as a fast-paced heavyweight fighter, who can hold his own from a distance and easily sidestep attacks & counter them with his own thanks to rockets across his body, which even allows him to dash (maybe 8-way air dashes?) or fly in the air for a short period of time. His main weapon of choice, the M.P.B.L. (Multi Purpose Beam Launcher; arguably the coolest weapon a mecha can have), is a laser blade that can be used for melee attacks and create mid-ranged energy shockwaves by simply slashing it. It can also transform into a long-ranged energy rifle that allows Temjin to shoot weak laser beam projectiles at opponents or be used as a gigantic "surfboard" to float in the air as he dashes forward to collide into opponents for a powerful jousting attack. Lastly, he also has access to large Power Bombs, which he can fire from his left wrist's grenade launcher and could be used for stage control in theory, besides blowing up opponents, obviously.

Much like Min Min (more of) and Mega Man's Final Smashes, Temjin's All-Star Move may involve him using a more stronger version of Gliding Ram (heck, it was supposed to be his "special" move in the series) to rush through opponents. If he hits anyone on his way, other Virtuaroids such as Fei-Yen, Apharmd, Viper II, Dorkas and Raiden will join together to attack opponents by bombarding them with their own weapons before Temjin finishes with a powerful laser beam from his M.P.B.L., all of this done in a similar epic cinematic style like those battles in the Gundam franchise.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Anyone for Tennis?

Job #154: King

King-Virtua-Tennis-4-victory.png

Yes, this flatcapped moustachio'd man is the final boss character so to speak in the Virtua Tennis franchise, a long running Sega sports title.

You might be thinking, Virtua Tennis? That can't be that big of a deal right?

Well Virtua Tennis is a franchise that has had 7 different entries, featuring mostly real life tennis players who agreed to have their likenesses portrayed in this game, seeing it as a worthwhile product.

These tennis stars include Venus Williams, Tim Henmen, Roger Federer, Rafeal Nadal, Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova, Andy Murray, Jim Courier and the Tommy Haas, the German player who is the only real life player to have a perfect attendance rate in these games...
...aside from Virtua Tennis Challenge anyway which had no licensed players at all, but if there were licensed players, Tommy was there.

Anyway, make no mistake those guys? HUGE sports stars. You've likely heard of some of them even if you're not that into sport, that's how big and brilliant they are at their chosen profession...

...and then along comes King here, Tennis Racket in hand, and becomes the BOSS character who is the hardest challenge for any player in any Virtua Tennis title. Yep, this relative unknown dandy man thought he'd have a go and ended up destroying the dreams of superstar pros all whilst twirling his moustache.

As a Battle of Ages fighter, King could focus largely on serving up pain with his powerful ace, returning projectiles and items with his backhand, lob shotting his opponents into the distance and drop shotting them off the stage whilst declaring the match is his. There's also the ability to summon one of his doubles partners(yes, King has TWO named doubles partners) Queen and Duke to deal additional back and forth shots, juggling opponents between them.

Outside of strained tennis puns and metaphors, Virtua Tennis has a surprising amount of silly minigame stuff to draw from too, including:
  1. A game where you play tennis with a time bomb
  2. One where you have to herd a bunch of chicks to their mother hen whilst returning shots
  3. One where you create barriers(could be useful as a defensive tool)
  4. One where you have to avoid giant Tennis Balls in an avalanche
  5. A returning shot where you're fighting a tank
  6. There's even one where you have to defend giant cartoony meat on a bone snacks from equally cartoonish crocodiles.
It's not as obvious as some other Arcade titles, but Virtua Tennis is a franchise I feel deserves more of a look-in than it gets.

Hail to the King.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Job 154

I wanted to submit a performai or Sangokushi Taisen character but its hard to find information on those in the west

So I am resubmitting Amigo

Amigo (Samba de Amigo)

The Main character of Samba De Amigo a 1999 Arcade game that gained popularity with it's ports to Dreamcast and Wii. Samba de Amigo is a Rhythm game themed after maracas and Amigo is just a fun character all around

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Huh, guess someone beat me to resubmitting Temjin for the third time. Guess that means it’s time for me to pull out the deep cut....

Job #154 - Boyd (The Rumble Fish)

9EA805AB-7F8F-445B-99CB-3A20A7EEB016.png

“Okay Orpheus, what the hell is a Rumble Fish?” you might be wondering. Aside from being the title of a book taking place within the Outsiders Cinematic Universe, The Rumble Fish was an arcade fighting game released in 2004 by Sammy and Dimps for the Atomiswave arcade board, and would later be ported to the PlayStation 2 by Sega that same year. Before I go into any further detail about The Rumble Fish, I wanna take some time to talk about the Atomiswave because it’s a very interesting little piece of Sega’s arcade history.

So before Sega and Sammy formally merged into the corporate Cronenberg monster that we now know as SegaSammy Holdings, the two companies were figuring out what to do with the surplus Dreamcast hardware Sega had lying around. Sammy, a company mainly known for pachinko machines at the time, was looking to break into the arcade market, and Sega wanted to put out something to make up for the Dreamcast’s poor performance. Being owned by the same company, the two decided to come together and kill two birds with one stone with the Atomiswave, an arcade board heavily based on the Dreamcast’s hardware that was essentially made to be a cost-effective alternative to Sega’s ever-popular NAOMI board. Now while this might just seem like a budget NAOMI, that’s exactly what drew quite a few devs to it early on. Much like the NeoGeo before it, the low cost of the Atomiswave would, in theory, make it more accessible for businesses such as bars and restaurants, allowing for games to reach a wider audience. And speaking of the NeoGeo, SNK even made the jump to the Atomiswave after discontinuing the NeoGeo. While the Atomiswave never took off quite like Sega or Sammy were hoping for, we did get a few neat games out of it. One of which is the subject of today’s write up.

So Rumble Fish has quite a few neat mechanics that help it stand out from other fighters from the time. For example, instead of just having a simple super meter, your character actually has both an offensive gauge that builds as you hit opponents, and a defensive gauge that’s built from blocking. Depending on which gauge is at 100%, you can use a super that benefits you either offensively or defensively. The game also has a unique animation style where each limb is animated separately. While this might look jarring at first, this method also allows for characters’ clothes to get damaged as they take more hits. So yeah, Rumble Fish is certainly a quirky little game with a lot of unique mechanics that could make for a super interesting fighter.

Now onto the man of the hour, Boyd. At first glance, he might just look like a goofy, innocent old man, but you would be sorely mistaken for assuming that. In truth, he’s actually a trained assassin who’s out for blood. You remember that mechanic I mentioned earlier where characters’ clothes will get worn down the more damage they take? On top of that, Boyd drops his nice old man facade when he’s taken a lot of damage and reveals himself as the cold-blooded killer he truly is. He’s almost like an old man version of B.B. Hood from Darkstalkers in that way. He even has a funny little animal sidekick named Harry, as if you need any more fuel for the B.B. Hood comparisons. Personally, I think the premise of a character whose innocent facade is slowly unraveled as a match goes on would be super fun to introduce and could introduce some fun mechanics. As for Boyd’s fighting style, he’s an incredibly heavy character who uses a lot of punches and can shoot energy beams from his fingertips. While his specials are slow, his normals are deceptively fast and he can be a devastating powerhouse in the right hands.

So yeah, while Boyd is most definitely a deeper cut compared to everyone else who was submitted thus far, I think he’s someone that’s worth looking into. The Atomiswave is a fascinating part of Sega and Sammy’s history, The Rumble Fish has a lot of neat mechanics to pull from, and Boyd himself is just a super cool fighter conceptually. Also, we need more cool old men in fighting games.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #154: Pengo

1645688591646.png

Pengo is an arcade game from 1982. He's a red penguin that pushes ice blocks in a maze to crush his enemies in cold blood while surviving their attacks. Believe it or not, the game was a big success and inspired a whole slew of other games (possibly including Bomberman of all things) inspired by it due to the lack of similarly impactful games during that era. I think another 80s character and such a classic one on top of that has merits to be included and it'd be a nice chance to give Pengo some love in a crossover title.

While not much of a fighter, Pengo is no stranger to pecking his enemies to submission or rolling over them with solid ice so he can have a snow-based moveset with some creativity.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job #155: Harrier (Space Harrier)

1645714778749.png

"Welcome to the Fantasy Zone! Get ready!"

Harrier is the player character in Sega's classic arcade game Space Harrier, a rail shooter that has been ported to a billion systems, is playable in just about every Yakuza game, had a 3D glasses sequel released for the Master System, a Genesis sequel, had a Sega Ages version...the list is endless.

Harrier is a cool dude with a big gun and jet-propulsion that allows for fast movement and a large spray of bullets, which he uses to fight big ol' bosses. His speed and ability to trap opponents is what will help him succeed, though I think he could also tap into other Sega arcade properties for alternate attacks. Perhaps a bit Pac-Man-esque? Some references to Dynamite Deka in his physical attacks? Definitely a character that should have a creative hand when considered, but one worth considering nonetheless.

I just really like Space Harrier and think Harrier is cool! This isn't the deepest pick for me, but he's just neat and so is his game. A Space Harrier stage would be really colorful and I think it'd be fun to zip around as a speedy zoner with attitude.

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
Sonic Capsule Toys:

Cream and Cheese
Debut:Sonic Advance 2
System Debut:GBA

Shadow the Hedgehog
Debut:Sonic Adventure 2
System Debut:Dreamcast

Blaze the Cat
Debut: Sonic Rush
System Debut:NDS

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
Job #155: Yoko Kano (Last Bronx)
Yoko Kano.png

Last Bronx is a fighting game where people of different gangs fight for control of the streets by the same team in SEGA who made Virtual On. In an alternate-reality Japan where its economic crisis of the 90s made the country turn rampant in the streets with violence, a new era of Japan emerged called the "All Tokyo Street Wars". Think Guilty Gear meets Rival Schools set in a Japanese version of Escape from New York. It is one of the first-ever 3D weapon fighters, coming out in 1996 and predating the original game in the Soulcalibur series by more than half a year. Some things in this game are definitely products of their time, but it's a fun game with some interesting characters to it. There is a "true" protagonist to the game, but of what merch exists, this character rivals him in terms of popularity.

Yoko is the leader of the G-Troops, a military-themed gang made out of necessity. What started as an Airsoft team made up of her, her brother, and a few others expanded to full military training when the All Tokyo Street Wars began. That caught the ire of the gangs who didn't allow civilians to train themselves in secret to defeat them. When her brother openly stated he would not participate, he was horribly disfigured. Now, armed with her preferred weapon, her signature wooden Tonfas, she looks to seek out her now missing brother in the midst of all this chaos.

Yoko Kano2.png

Her story mode is arguably the most interesting one in the game. Her trail leads her to an organization called Redrum that is profiting off of this war, and a mysterious representative of it named "Red Eye" (seen in the picture up above). It's only after fighting him that she realizes Red Eye was her brother, who explained what had happened before dying in her arms, which is the last we see of her story. It has spawned toys, manga, even a live-action direct-to-video movie, but no sequel just yet, but don't take that against the game. It's an original game loved by SEGA fans and fighting game fans alike, DEFINITELY worth checking out if you can get a hold of it (Saturn copies do run over 150 dollars at least), or find it in the arcade.

The game gives its characters a ton of combos and special moves, so there's plenty of potential when you're creating a moveset, as well as a heavy focus on combat maneuvers and rolls to help get you out of the way. That's because the game plays a bit more "pick your opportunity" similar to Samurai Shodown. I think if you are a fan of the Virtua Fighter characters, you should feel right at home picking up Yoko, but you'll find that she's got better range and maneuverability, but her attacks do slightly less damage.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright.

I'm gonna submit someone.

I, briefly, for a moment, considered submitting this character for the first arcade job.

But I chickened out.

But now?

There is no escape.

Now?

It's time.

Here we go.

Job #155: Jake Paterson from SEGA Race TV
E-9E4CpVcAET6YM-1.jpeg

Yes. There he is. There he ****ing is. The man himself.

Who, you may be asking, is this legend?

Well you see, back in the late 2000s, SEGA released their magnum opus: an arcade racer named SEGA Race TV. This game followed a TV broadcast of a racing competition featuring such iconic SEGA characters as Doug Bugster, and sporting a very exaggerated, and dare I say, funky aesthetic. (fun fact: it was the last game Yu Suzuki did for SEGA before he left to form his own company!)

And this man?

He was one of the hosts of this prestiged show, along with who I'm assuming is his brother, Mike. But we're not here to talk about boring old Mike. We're here to talk about this gaming icon, the true face of the game, the guy who has a track in the game named after him, complete with a Statue of Liberty that has his face on it. This dude....is the best SEGA character.

You want proof?

Behold:
This is the peak of SEGA's entire career in the gaming industry.

Indeed, as you can see, Jake is probably the single most deserving character of a spot on this roster. Look at his moves. His swagger. Top tier character design, I tell ya.

And the moveset potential? Imagine him busting a move on stage. Imagine him literally committing vehicular manslaughter on AiAi. He's perfect for this game.

I am starting this campaign up right now, #Jake4BattleofAGES cmon fellas we can do it

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
I've got a question: Is there going to be a Story Mode ( and if it is will it be like World of Light or Subspace Emissary)

and also Sonic Capsule Toy Submission:

Babylon Rouges
Debut: Sonic Riders
System Debut:GameCube

Chaotix
Debut:Knuckles Chaotix
System Debut:SEGA 32X

Silver the Hedgehog
Debut: Sonic '06
System Debut:Xbox 360

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT

It's time to vote!!!!!!

Here are our picks:

Gilius Thunderhead ( Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds )
Honey (@Darkonedagger)
Joe Musashi ( Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP )
Temjin ( tonygameman tonygameman )
King ( YoshiandToad YoshiandToad )
Amigo ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
Boyd ( OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos )
Pengo ( osby osby )
Harrier ( Flyboy Flyboy )
Yoko Kono ( PuyoWitch PuyoWitch )
Jake Paterson (wow whoever submitted him must be very cool and smart and handsome)

Vote for your top 3 picks - keep your own submission in third place if you're going to self-vote.

1. Temjin
2. Gilius
3. Honey

Flyboy

Smash Hero
1. King - Truly and honestly I hope he keeps getting submitted for any job he's able to be submitted for. I need him in this roster. One of those absolutely inspired choices.
2. Gilius - I really do love this funny dwarf, though I also think he has a shot for our next prompt. Golden Axe is a big nostalgic fave.
3. Yoko - This submission sparks joy.

Big shoutouts to Joe Musashi, who I also REALLY want to see make it in, and to Temjin who I...also really want to see make it in. Cool robot.

Once again, this round was absolutely fantastic. What a great lineup.

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
1. Joe Musashi (Shinobi II was one of my first SEGA games, actually, so I'm biased. I really hope his time has come.)
2. Gillius Thunderhead (I am so ready for a Golden Axe round. You have no idea.)
3. King (I love this dude. My goal is to give a vote to him in every single round he is nominated in, provided he's not up against EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY tough competition.)

Incredible round. Honey, Amigo, Temjin, and Harrier all hold special places in my SEGA fan heart, so this was a really tough round, and on top of it, the write-up for Jake was fantastic. Quite literally, though, I think every single submission here was great.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
  1. Yoko: I played far more Last Bronx than either Fighting Vipers or Virtua Fighter, and of all the Last Bronx characters, Yoko's the most solid pick you could ask for between plot relevance, a unique weapon we don't see too often and a genuinely cool aesthetic.
  2. Honey: Honey objectively should probably get a look in before a Last Bronx character, but Fighting Vipers is also a very cool hit.
  3. Boyd: I feel like we need SOME Sammy representation by the end of this game's completion given Sammy's overall importance in Sega staying afloat, and I can't think of a better Rumble Fish pick than Boyd. Unique body shape, hidden depths, can fire beams and his assassination techniques all have names like 'Shiny Punch', 'Mellow Throw', 'Fancy Kick' and 'Sunny Finger'. Those are some of the happiest names for a hidden killer you could ask for.
All fighters this time round.

Shout out to Pengo in particular, but there really wasn't a bad pick this time round.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Okay, fellas, I think it's time to roll out the results!

Here it is:

Gilius: 21 points
Honey: 6 points
Joe: 17 points
Temjin: 16 points
King: 4 points
Amigo: 0 points
Boyd: 2 points
Pengo: 3 points
Harrier: 2 points
Yoko: 7 points
Jake: 0 points

And so, we have our winner: the next character to join Battle of AGES is the long-awaited, long overdue Gilius Thunderhead!!!!!!

I'm happy my dude is finally in.

Moving on:

Job #156: Submit a moveset for Gilius

i think our golden axe rep should have been the skeleton

Here's the Sacred Moveset Format:

-General playstyle overview
-Notable normal attacks
-Specials and All-Star Move
-Misc. content, such as taunts and palette swaps

ok now bye

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #156: Gilius Thunderhead

General playstyle: Most of Gilius’s moves are taken from his beat 'em up appearances when applicable. He’s a slow, short middleweight who depends on his strong disjointed axe attacks and faster, weaker physical strikes to fight at close and mid-range. He can also use his special moves to close distances and hit opponents from afar but these are usually predictable and less reliable. Gilius is an easy to pick up character who can string combos together easily at low. His main weaknesses are his weak recovery and the overall predictability of his moves.

Notable normal attacks: Despite Gilius wielding a battle axe for most of his moves (which all have excellent reach), there is a good amount of normal where he just uses his raw physical strength to deal with his opponents.

Basic Attacks:

Jab: Two axe swings followed by an overhead chop.
Forward Tilt: A straight kick.
Down Tilt: A crouch kick.
Up Tilt: A handstand kick with one leg.
Dash Attack: Gilius ducks while running and hits with the horns of his helmet.

Aerial Attacks:

Neutral Aerial: A 360-degree axe swing.
Forward Aerial: An overhead axe swing that spikes at the tip.
Back Aerial: Rolls around to hit his back with the hilt of his axe.
Up Aerial: An overhead raised kick.
Down Aerial: A 180-degree swing of his axe downward. Slow but powerful.

Smash Attacks:

Forward Smash: Gilius slashes forward with his axe like a woodcutter. Great reach and excellent knockback but also very slow.
Up Smash: Gilius raises his axe to the sky as it crackles with lightning and hits multiple times.
Down Smash: Gilius stabs his axe to the ground and creates a shockwave around himself. Can trip opponents with the far hitboxes.

Grab and Throws:
Neutral: Grabs the opponent with one hand.
Pummel: Head-butts them. Slow but damaging.
Forwards Throw: Raises them over his head before chucking them forward.
Down Throw: A jumping hit with his axe.
Back Throw: Raises them over his head before chucking them backwards.
Up Throw: Raises them over his head before throwing them upward with a jump.

Specials moves
:

Neutral Special: Lightning Magic. A projective that changes properties depending on how much it’s charged. If the special button is simply inputted, Gilius will use Thunder Wave where covers his axe with lightning and swings it to send a sparkling projectile forward. This projectile not only hits one enemy but also shocks anyone close to them. If Gilius charges the attack a bit, it becomes Thunder Pole where he raises his hand and lightning from above strikes him, dealing damage to a small area around him.

Side Special: Chicken Leg. A rideable beast from Golden Axe, usually the first one the player encounters. Gilius can mount a Chicken Leg using this move and ride on it until the move ends or he’s knocked out of it. Even if Gilius dismounts, Chicken Leg will curl around itself and stay on the stage for a short while, during which Gilius can use his side special to call it to his side. Other players cannot interact with it. While he’s riding Chicken Leg’s Gilius gains a significant increase to his lacklustre jump and speed but he can only do three things: dash, jump and attack with his ride’s tail swing.

Down Special: Boulder Crash. Gilius creates a large boulder in front of himself with magic before swinging his axe to break it. This attack comes out very slow but grants him super armour and deals high damage to shields and great knockback to anyone who the axe swing hits. Broken rock shards act as weak projectiles.

Up Special: Special Spin. Gilius holds his axe in place (aerial) or stabs it to the floor (grounded) and spins around it, using the handle as a pole before launching himself upward. It hits a few times and knocks enemies out around him. Similar to a down smash, it hits behind Gilius first and deals more damage with that hit. This attack is highly effective due to its surprising quickness, good reach and starting invincibility. However, it leaves Gilius open after when blocked and is vulnerable to attacks from above and projectiles. It also doesn’t go very far vertically, working better as a horizontal recovery to make up for Gilius’s poor airspeed.

All-Star Move: Boulder Crash. Gilius raises five Magic Pots with his hand and plunges his axe to the ground (or air?) similar to his down smash. The screen begins to shake while a series of lightning bolts crash down from the top of the screen. Anyone they hit is dealt significant damage and shocked in place. Gilius can’t move during the course of the attack but he has some control over how lightning strikes fall. He can concentrate them on each side of the stage with left and right inputs, spread them up and make them target the centre stage with down commands.

Other:

Aesthetics:
Gilius is based on his modern appearances in games like Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed and SEGA Heroes, with more detailed textures on his hair and clothes, but some stylized face. Some of his specials sound similar to his arcade games (like Chicken Leg’s cries and thunder/boulder sounds). While he has no alternate costumes, his colour variations are based on other Golden Axe characters such as Ax, Tyris, Chronos and Proud. His voice actor from All-Star games reprises his role.

Entrance animation: Gilius runs to the stage on a Chicken Leg and jumps from it while it runs away.

Taunts:
Taunt 1: Gilius flexes his biceps and boasts “No one can stand in my way!”.​
Taunt 2: Gilius points his axe forward and gleefully claims “Another notch for my axe!”.​
Taunt 3: Gilius crosses his arms on his chest and laughs heartily, saying “Splendid!”​
Victory theme: Conclusion (Golden Axe)

Victory Animations:

Victory 1: Gilius plunges his axe to the ground, and then raises both of his fists to the air, yelling “Tyris and Ax Battler shall hear about my victory!” or “Hahaha! Yes! Victory!”​
Victory 2: Gilius is shown napping on the ground with his head resting on his hand. He opens his eyes when the announcer calls his name and chuckles. He’ll occasionally say “If Death Adder couldn’t best me, what chance did you stand?”​
Victory 3: Gilius affectionately slaps his Chicken Leg mount on the side and rests on his side with his axe on his shoulder. He might occasionally “You call that a challenge?”​

Last edited:
Top Bottom