• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Battle of AGES, a SEGA platform fighter

What's the roster number gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #80: Teiris (Dragon Force)

1633024500395.png

History lesson: Dragon Force is a real-time strategy game made for Saturn. It's about eight nations duking it out with armies made of dragons, knights, harpies, mages, and similar fantasy characters. Notably, it can show up to 200 animated sprites on-screen which, similar to Pikmin, is meant to be a show-off the processing power of its console more than anything. It's a rather niche game but a pretty well-regarded one. While you can easily break the game, there are some deep strategies if you choose to take the hard way and there's quite some backstory for each faction. While it was never localized, it even got a sequel.

Teiris is the newly appointed queen of Palemoon, a country populated by elves. She possesses unusually strong magic and is reluctant to use it for violent purposes. Now, she's mainly notable for being the only female monarch and being a blatant love interest to the game's "main guy" Wein but she's actually a pretty interesting character by herself. Not only she goes from doubting herself to being a confident general who obliterates armies with her magic, but she also makes the "power of friendship" actually work in a continent divided with ridiculous politics. She's a sweetheart you don't want to cross, basically.

When summoned as an assist, Teiris will spin around herself thrice (while her cape just stands there) and sings a short melody, using the Dark Vortex spell to create a huge black hole at the center of the stage, pulling anything and everyone in. As this move is stationary, it can be dodged with ease but if you get pushes inside, you're probably not going out for a while. Just like a general, Teiris will place the opponent in a perfect position for players to finish them off. Note that she can be attacked so keeping her safe is essential to take advantage of her spell fully.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
This is so tough because I would absolutely LOVE to submit The Ooze as an assist and I still really want the Graveyard Concert as a stage next time we get a misc slot but dammit it's time again. And just in time for Spooky Month!!

Job #80: Mr. Bones
1633032985696.png

Mr. Bones is a rockin' Sega Saturn game notable for being the brainchild of Ed Annunziata and featuring a soundtrack by one of the greatest rock guitarists of the time. As an assist, Mr. Bones would be summoned and play a wicked solo that has random effects such as reversing an opponent's controls or increasing their knockback, or perhaps even a healing aura. However, there's a twist! If an opponent attacks Mr. Bones enough, he will explode into many pieces that scatter along the stage. These bones can be thrown to attack people with, but they can also be reconnected, and the player who reconnects Mr. Bones in time gets to enjoy a concert and a temporary buff until he bows out.

I threw around the idea of him having a very rare chance, or perhaps an input, that has a skeleton army charge like Lunch Rush, but I want to save that for a revised Graveyard Concert stage. I have some ideas in mind to make it a really cool setpiece.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Job 80: Shou & Tillis (Burning Rangers)

Shou-and-Tillis.png

(These pics are taken from Sonic & All-Stars Transformed)

A lesser known title by the famous Sonic Team, Burning Rangers had you play as one of the above two characters, as they raced through infernos attempting to save everyone they could. They are essentially jet packed firefighters.

Who are they?

Shou Amabane
was rescued as a young boy from an inferno by a Burning Ranger who threw Shou to safety seconds before the flames vapourised him. Ever since that day, Shou has been haunted by the image of his saviour's death, and became a Burning Ranger as a result seeing it as the only way to repay that Ranger's heroism.

Tillis lost her parents in a blazing inferno, and was taken into foster care. The cold, impersonal environment gave way to endless lonliness. Tillis vowed to become a Burning Ranger in order to save others from untimely loss as she had suffered. Surprisingly she's easily the most chipper member of the entire team despite her backstory.

So what do these two do as assists?

When summoned, the stage begins to have small flickers of flame rise up. These two will land and start running about the stage attempting to put the flames out using their guns(yes this is what happens in the game).

A 1% will appear on the side of the screen. Touching the flame will of course cause a burn effect and temporarily stun the player sending them backwards. Notably, Shou and Tillis themselves do NOT do damage as their primary goal is to save people rather than hurt them.

Doesn't seem so bad, right?

Just like in the game however every time that % chart hits a 20% mark, flames will explode from underneath them as the fire begins to rage out of control, with Shou and Tillis backflipping out the way of the blast to safety. Anyone caught in this blast will be dealt both heavy fire damage and be sent flying by the explosion.

Once the % hits 50%, the duo change tactics and both will swoop down to grab the summoner out of harms way, before both continue to attempt to control the fire from above.

Surprisingly though unlike other assists, Shou and Tillis will also attempt to save another player, picking them up during the blaze too.

Any further players caught in the blaze will be momentarily trapped in the. The player and the saved opponent can, surprisingly, still fight in the air, using Shou and Tillis as platforms to continue their feud.

Other opponents can also make it to the Shou and Tillis 'platforms' by riding the 60% and 80% explosion blasts from underneath each of them. However that is...less than ideal.

The flames are finally quelled by the fire fighting duo after we hit 85%, with four giant fire blasts having gone off for each of them(total of eight) and some of the stage flickering with fire. They celebrate before flying off.

Drawbacks of the assist
  • Shou and Tillis have one of, if not the longest assist cooldown periods in the game as a result of the environmental damage.
  • The assist is most effective in four player matches as in 1 vs 1 you're both saved before the stage really gets burnt.
  • It should be noted that this assist is best used on flatter stages as a stage like Mt. Eternal will have more places for opponents to escape to.
  • The assist is less effective against opponents with flying abilities such as Tails, NiGHTS and Opa-Opa as they can fly to the Shou and Tillis platforms, avoiding the additional explosions after 50%.
  • Make sure to get off the two's backs before the assist ends or you'll end up leaving the safety of the stage!

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, submissions are closed!

Here's what we have:

WIIIIIIIIIILD WOODY ( OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos )
ChuChus and Kapu-Kapu ( Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds )
Casey ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
Larcen Tyler (@Darkonedagger)
Teiris ( osby osby )
Mr. Bones ( Flyboy Flyboy )
Shou Amabane and Tillis ( YoshiandToad YoshiandToad )

Vote for your top 3 picks - keep your own submission in third place if you're going to self-vote.

I'll do my own vote this time as well:

1. Teiris
2. ChuChus and Kapu-Kapu
3. Wild Woody

Teiris and the ChuChu Rocket fellas are probably the two assist submissions I hope win the most - they're both really fun ideas that help give substantial representation to relatively noteworthy IP whose disconfirmations aren't a huge loss to me. I do also really like the idea for Shou and Tillis, I just didn't vote for them cause I don't want to disconfirm Burning Rangers :V

I will say, something I did consider was that we've already added a whole-ass stage from the 90s SoA gang, so I think for these assists I'd rather we focus on other things SEGA made that are eligible for this because soooooo many other rosters already put so much focus on that category of characters. But even then, I still gave Wild Woody a vote cause c'mon, it's ****ing Wild Woody.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1. Teiris
2. Woody
3. ChuChus & Kapu-Kapu

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Hey you can only put your own submission in third place
Sorry. Used to other threads where it can be 2nd or third.

I'm actually gonna replace that vote anyway. Not particularly married to the idea.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
1. Teiris
2. ChuChus & Kapu-Kapu
3. WIIIIIILD WOODY!

I definitely love the Shou and Tillis assist idea, but I’m also in the boat of not wanting to disconfirm Burning Rangers quite yet.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright gang, voting is closed!

Let's take a look:

Woody: 11 points
ChuChus/Kapu-Kapu: 12 points
Casey: 2 points
Larcen: 0 points
Teiris: 19 points
Mr. Bones: 4 points
Shou and Tillis: 6 points

That's right: our next two misc. assists will be Teiris and the ChuChus and Kapu-Kapu! Do keep in mind that this means ChuChu Rocket and Dragon Force are now both disqualified for the base playable roster.

Wild Woody lives for another day.

Anyway, it's been a hot minute since I last posted The List of Represented IP. Let's see how we're holdin up so far:

Series mainly repped by characters: Sonic, Virtua Fighter, Alex Kidd, Yakuza, Sakura Wars, Space Channel 5, Fantasy Zone, Streets of Rage, Skies of Arcadia, Persona, NiGHTS, Bayonetta

Series mainly repped by stages: OutRun, Comix Zone

Series mainly repped by assists: Mushiking, Virtua Cop, ChuChu Rocket, Dragon Force

Series mainly repped by items so far: Periscope, Golden Axe, Seaman, Puyo Puyo, Valkyria Chronicles, SEGA Bass Fishing

Series mainly repped by VMU RPG mooks so far: 7th Dragon, Billy Hatcher, Ecco the Dolphin, House of the Dead, Phantasy Star, Shinobi, Space Harrier, Doki Doki Penguin Land, Pengo, Shin Megami Tensei, Ristar, Super Monkey Ball

Series mainly repped by music so far: Pit Pot, Teddy Boy Blues, SCUD Race, Hang-On, Power Drift, Virtua Racing, After Burner, Vectorman, Bug!, Kid Chameleon, Mr. Bones, Wild Woody

Series mainly repped by Capsule Toys so far: Rhythm Thief, Arabian Fight, SEGA Rally, Cyber Troopers Virtual-ON, Galaxy Force, Girl's Garden, 16t, Dynamite Düx, Zaxxon, Congo Bongo, SEGA Channel, Napple Tale, The Ocean Hunter, Quartet, Love and Berry, Sands of Destruction, Baku Baku Animal, Project 575, Shining, Daytona USA, Arrow Flash, Illbleed, SEGA Race TV, Psycho Fox

God help us if William Hatcherson ever makes it to the playable character tier.

And with that, it's finally time we move on to our next character! We stopped for a bit here to retread on Sonic and VF, so it's been a while since we've last added a brand spankin' new property to our roster. So it's time we cover something fresh, something new and exciting! And we are now finally doing a job that I imagine is a pretty anticipated one. It's been thrown around, it's been teased, it's been discussed, it's pretty much an open secret at this point, and I imagine it should be pretty exciting! krusty krab training video voice It's time for the moment you've all been waiting for...

Job #81: Submit a SEGA character who is a pencil

That's right, we are finally covering SEGA's vast stable of characters that are pencils! Our roster is still quite lacking in pencil representation, and SEGA truly have nothing short of an incredible lineup of iconic and beloved pencil characters, not the least of which is the one and only Wi-nah i'm ****ting you this isn't the real job

The ACTUAL Job #81: Submit a SEGA RPG character

Alright, for realsies this time: it's about damn time we did the RPG job.

Genre prompts are something I've been meaning to do for a while now, we've talked about it, we've thrown ideas around, and I think the general idea seems to be that RPGs were the best option cause SEGA really have, like, an utterly insane lineup of noteworthy RPGs. So I was actually planning on doing this job somewhat earlier...but then we added Vyse, Joker and Ichiban in a row. Afraid of adding too many ar-pee-gee peeps in a row, I held off on the job a bit. I think we've added enough non-RPG characters since then, so I think now's the time!

In terms of what characters are on the table:

A. All kinds of RPGs are on the table. Turn-based, tactical, action, MMORPG, all of that is available for submission - so long as it's an RPG of some form, it's eligible.
B. Though, as usual, only characters from series new to this roster are allowed. So basically Sakura Wars, Skies of Arcadia and Persona are Not Eligible.

That should be everything! I'm really excited for this job, SEGA have a ton of fun options to pull from RPGs and it feels good to be covering new IP again after we did Tails and Jacky. Have a good one!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Selvaria Bles (Valkyria Chronicles)

Mulled several options here but I ultimately decided to go for Selvaira.

Valkyria Chronicles has became an extremely popular series dispite being recent compaired to other franchises that could be chosen, receiving multiple sequals and remakes and even an appearance in the short lived Sega Heroes mobile game.

Selvaira is a popular character from the seires, and would add another villain to our roster. She could have a really cool moveset that uses her sword and incorporates various elements from the series.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Normally I would be tempted to re-submit Demi-Fiend for this prompt, but after sleeping on it a bit, I wanna pitch an alternative SMT character just to get the idea out there. I’m still all for Demi-Fiend and I encourage anyone who’s interested to submit him in my place, but it’d be a damn shame if this character never got pitched at least once. So being the resident Atlus/Megaten nerd of this thread, I thought I’d take it upon myself to make a case for them.

Without further ado, may I present to you...

Job #81: Raidou Kuzunoha (SMT: Devil Summoner)

Raidou Kuzunoha XIV is the protagonist of the Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha subseries of Megaten games. He comes from a lineage of demon summoners who have claimed the Raidou Kuzunoha title, and he works for the Narumi Detective Agency to help protect the capital from supernatural threats. And just like any good magical girl protagonist, he has a snarky talking cat sidekick named Gouto.

I already went over how big of a deal Megami Tensei was in the Demi-Fiend write-up so I’ll spare y’all the details, but the short version is that it’s Atlus’ flagship franchise and has a ****-ton of history behind it. Instead, I’m gonna talk about what makes Raidou stand out from other SMT games. Unlike most games under the Megaten umbrella that stick with the tried-and-true turn-based combat system, Raidou ditches that in favor of a real-time action system (think something similar to the Tales of series with a tiny bit of Devil May Cry thrown in). While it’s been proven time and time again that turn-based characters can make the transition into more action-heavy games, I think the combat of Raidou makes envisioning a moveset for him that much easier since most of the work has already been done.

Speaking of, Raidou’s moveset potential sticks out amongst other potential SMT picks. Starting off, his two weapons of choice are a katana and a revolver, a unique weapon combo we have yet to see on this roster. Aside from that, Raidou can also call upon demons using summoning tubes (basically the closest thing Megaten has to a Pokè Ball equivalent). While any SMT protag could have a demon summoning mechanic, the way it’s implemented in Raidou would be the most interesting and intuitive way to translate it into a fighting game in my opinion. This could be as simple as calling out demons for his specials and switching between them, but if we were to go deeper and pull mechanics from Devil Summoner, Raidou could perform a powerful combination attack with whichever demon he has out after a loyalty gauge is filled.

While not as all-encompassing as Demi-Fiend, Raidou’s presence is still felt throughout the Megaten franchise. In Nocturne’s third release and HD port, he takes Dante from the Devil May Cry series’ place as the special guest character and optional party member. He also appears as a secret boss in the 3DS version of Soul Hackers and has even been referenced by-name in Persona 4. There’s also a new demon hunting character in SMT V, Shohei Yamuko, that shares a striking resemblance to our Devil Summoning friend over here. The two characters even share a Japanese voice actor, so there's no way the character wasn’t a direct reference to Raidou. It’s also worth noting that even before the Atlus buyout, the Devil Summoner games have always had an especially strong association with Sega. The first two games were originally Saturn exclusives, and while Raidou was released on the PS2 well after Sega went third-party, this still gives Devil Summoner a deeper Sega connection than most Megaten games that came before Atlus was acquired. That’s not to say it makes other SMT reps less worthy, but it’s a fun detail to point out.

Also, I’m gonna be blunt, The main reason I’m pitching Raidou above all else is because he’s just cool as ****. His design kicks ass and the concept of an early-1900s Japanese detective who can summon demons and fights with a revolver and katana is simply incredible. He would definitely stand out aesthetically among the rest of the roster in the best possible way. The closest character on our roster to Raidou I can think of from an aesthetic standpoint is probably Sakura (both are Taisho-era sword-wielders who help protect the city from supernatural threats), but even then both are so drastically different in terms of personality and playstyle that Raidou would still be incredibly unique.

So yeah, that’s my pitch for Raidou Kuzunoha. He might not be the protagonist of any of the numbered titles, but he’d be a really cool surprise pick that would turn a few heads and appeal to die-hard Megaten fans. He’s a bit more unconventional than your usual SMT rep, but doesn’t stray too far away from the usual formula so he’s still a good representation of what the series is all about. Also he’s just a kick-ass character all around, how can you not love this guy?

Attachments

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Domingo (Shining Force)

Shining Force is like Sega's version of Fire Emblem (in terms of gameplay, not in terms of the amount of characters from it that wind up included in this), so I thought I'd try nominating someone from that game. Rather than going with the main character (Max, a tunic-wearing swordsman), I decided to change it up and go with a weirdly-intellectual octopus-like spellcaster.

Domingo can fly, avoiding the "Yoda in Soul Calibur 4" problem where he's too short to hit (he can hover over the ground, with a tentacle drooping to near-ground level to act as a hurtbox), and in addition to attacking with his tentacles, he can cast various spells, such as draining the enemy's soul (which might act similarly to Robin's Nosferatu), lightning magic, and fire magic. His main specialty is ice magic, which he has as soon as he's unlocked.

I thought I'd try nominating a character that's out of left field - it can sometimes be fun to change things up and go with something unexpected. (look at R.O.B., Duck Hunt, and Piranha Plant)

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Landsknecht (Etrian Odyssey)

The Landsknecht is one of the only classes to appear in every Etrian Odyssey game. (Except 3 but that game is unique).

Etrian Odyssey is a First Person JRPG with a character customization system and a unique feature of having to map out the dungeons yourself as you play it.

Etrian Odyssey has seen some good success in the past and It even has an official crossover-ish game with Persona being Persona Q.

The Landsknecht could be a pretty interesting fighter if you incorporate the creation aspect of their game in their moveset.

I wanted to submit an obscure character that can draw people their original series.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #81: Hacker (7th Dragon)

1633245383363.png

Before making a case for Hacker, I should probably explain what 7th Dragon is, as it flew under the radars of most people. It’s a dungeon crawler RPG series first started in 2009. It’s developed by a team who previously worked on titles such Skies of Arcadia, Phantasy Star, and Etrian Odyssey and borrows heavily from the latter. Music is handled by Yuzo Koshiro from the Streets of Rage fame and includes a lot of impressive music tracks. The series mixes its point-based level-up system and class-based party composition with a more traditional JRPG structure. Basically, there are no set party members and you’re free to create your characters by combining pre-determined appearances and classes.

While the first game takes place in the sword-and-sorcery world of Eden, later entries, also dubbed as 2020 games, feature a futuristic Tokyo under the siege of Dragons. Regardless, it’s up to your player character to gather a party and defeat the 7 True Dragons who terrorize the world. The series is reasonably popular for a handheld JRPG franchise. The Vocaloid Hatsune Miku appeared in two games as an official collaboration (and song half of the entire OST), and it got several adaptations like mangas and a drama CD.

Hacker class made its debut in the 2011 release of 7th Dragon 2020 and appeared in its sequel. It’s a support-based class that excels at buffs and debuffs. While it’s not the main cover class (that honor goes to Samurai), the design for female Hacker is especially popular, appearing in as a costume in Phantasy Star Online 2, getting her own figurine, and being a popular choice for cosplayers with her gothic Lolita aesthetic. In fact, she was so popular that, the last game brought back her as DLC even though that game has no Hacker class (and used her doll as a mascot).

1633245480304.png

Aside from being a popular choice from a reasonably successful series, Hacker also boasts some impressive moveset potential. Being a geek rather than a weapon wielder, she would mostly fight with weak attacks from her chakram and doll but would have powerful hacking skills to compensate them. She can hack her opponents to take more damage from her, steal their stamina to heal hers, and inflict them with status ailments like sleep or poison. Her super moves even include hacking a satellite laser to rain down destruction or the game itself to give herself a temporary cheat mode that negates damage.

As the designs in 7th Dragon aren’t necessarily tied to character classes, this can also be used to sneak in some fitting skills from other classes, like Idol’s megaphone attacks or Psychic’s dark spells.

Despite being a silent character, Hacker could have plenty of personalities to show off. Other than having quite a few talented voice actor choices for her lines, she also has cheeky video game references like using a SEGA Saturn controller in one of her animations. A mission mode involving her collecting toy capsule figures is almost a given.

As Hacker has a male counterpart, anything above applies to him as well. They most likely would be alternate costumes for each other and already come with color variations from their game. (If anyone’s curious, female Hacker’s default name is Chelsea, while the male one is Red)

Aside from the aforementioned music, 7th Dragon also has a lot of potential for a stage, spanning from the post-apocalyptic Tokyo covered by deadly Dragonsbane flowers to the underground kingdom of Atlantis to the medieval cities of Eden.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Job 81: Sega Taro (Segagaga)

Sega Taro.png

Sega Taro
is the protagonist character from Segagaga, a RPG and 'Sega Simulator' in which you, a seemingly randomly selected teenager, are tasked with the mammoth task of saving SEGA as a software company. This was a title released just as Sega were leaving the hardware business and is possibly the most meta game ever produced by the company...or any company for that matter.

Seen as the swansong of Sega due to it's late release on the Dreamcast(although it was not the last Sega produced game for a Sega hardware, that honour goes to Puyo Puyo Fever), the game is a celebration of all things Sega.

The gameplay for the RPG section is a little bit like Pokemon, in that you fight and collect opponents. What kind of opponents?
Developers, designers and programmers.

Sega Taro will throw insults at his opponents to weaken them. The developers are all designed in weird and wacky ways with some being represented by photos of their heads on drawn bodies, some represented by giant characterised heads, some represented by an influenza(due to being known to being regularly sick within the company) and some even represented by kanji of their name. It's all very strange, with the developers sometimes being too stressed out to work, or even striking to get an increase in pay and you have to negotiate with them as you guide Sega hopefully back to success.

Sega-Taro-wins-a-fight.png

When they're...well... broken from Sega Taro telling them things like "You'll never get a girlfriend" or "You think this is good enough to sell?" you'll activate the negotiation period where the goal is to hire the developers for as little money as possible. Seems harsh, but you have to balance a budget. From here you'll start developing games where you can either focus on putting out some high quality titles in hope they do well or throw out shovelware in the hope to make quick money and help keep Sega afloat.

Later on in the game Sega Taro meets and befriends all manner of famous Sega characters, including quite a few of the fighters we already have such as Sonic the Hedgehog, Tails, Alex Kidd, Opa-Opa and NiGHTS as well as characters such as Nei, Ristar, Harrier, Sir Tongara de Pepperouchau III (aka the Clockwork Knight), Astal, Amigo, Ryo Hazuki, Alis Landale of Phantasy Star fame and her team (Myau, Lutz and Odin) and quite a few others. I believe the Sega Bass from Sega Bass fishing at one point turns up to help battle.

segagaga-18a.jpg

"Oh hi Nei"

It all cumilates in one massive battle against DOGMA(a parody of Sony) in the end, where all the Sega cast come together. Sonic, Alex Kidd, NiGHTS, Opa-Opa, Alis and the others all charge into the sky to do battle against the Dogma forces raining down on Earth. Sega Taro himself blasts off in a R-720 into space (a reference to an old Sega arcade cabinet, the R-360, which could spin in 360 degrees) and joins the fight, facing off in Thunder Force like sections against giant versions of old Sega hardware which shoot out sprites. SG-1000 shooting out single coloured sprites, Master System shooting out Fantasy Zone characters and Aztec Adventure(see below) sprites, Mega Drive firing off Golden Axe enemies and Space Harrier II and the Saturn which is the final boss just shooting loads and loads of bullets.

ending-5a.jpg
shooter-3a.jpg

Strangely, despite the enemy corporation being supposedly Sony, some of the enemies include warped versions of Nintendo characters such as black versions of Kirby with realistic lips and finger tips for feet, a rabid sharp and deadly looking dark Pikachu monster and an alien like version of Toad. They're all very nightmarish, but that could be because 'Nintendo' in this universe was also dissolved by Dogma, and their IPs obtained by them, warping the once family friendly characters into these hellish creations.

Sega Taro is likely not the easiest character to come up with a moveset for, but I feel he'd offer something rather unique for a RPG rep as a result of the weirdness and overall Sega celebration that his title is.

Job 81:
Matoi (Phantasy Star)

Matoi
is a Character from Phantasy Star, who debuted on Phantasy Star Online 2. She was a Previous member of Council of Six, which she was included. Now after being in Council, she is now titled person named: Guardian. Ineach of episode, she progressed from mentioned earlier member of Council of Six to Guardian herself.

Her series Phantasy Star takes place in Solar System called Algol and Heroes need to fight the evil before Algol will be gone (I didn't played those games, so I need to say with my own words about the series.). The series where Matoi Originated is like Fire Emblem of SEGA, but it is set in Outer Space in fictional system. Her series was Popular RPG series made by SEGA that became Fire Emblem of SEGA itself.

Her moveset could reference random games of Phantasy Star like Sword Combat from Phantasy Star on Arcade. She would Swordfighter-type character that has non-sword attacks like Futuristic Projectiles and etc.

I nominated her because I took inspiration from Guy named MasterCheef on this Website and he mentioned Matoi, so why not Matoi can join Battle of Ages? Despite Anime-like appearance, she can join the Roster no matter how she looks like, she has moveset potential from Phantasy Star games.
She even could represent Phantasy Star herself despite she Debuted on later title opposing to main character, who debuted on Arcade title.

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Job #81: RPG Fighter - Taro Yamada (Rent-A-Hero)

TaroYamada.png
RentAHeroNo1_DC_JP_Box_Front.jpg

(both images are original and Dreamcast/remake designs)
Special thanks goes to Speed Weed Speed Weed once again for giving me a heads-up and interest on this obscure series.

Taro Yamada is the main protagonist of a 1991 Japanese-exclusive action RPG game named Rent-A-Hero, which was released on SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive and used the same graphic engine as Sword of Vermillion. The game follows him moving to the town of Corja in Japan alongside his family and younger sister Alyssa, after his eccentric father changed jobs. During their house-warming party, he ordered pizza from 'Sensational Cafeteria' (or SECA in short) and instead received the Super Energy Combat Armor (coincidence by name? - as a part of the "Rent-A-Hero" program) by accident, which gave him superhuman strength and other gadgets. After realizing that he is required to pay a fee to rent the armor, Taro decided to become a titular part-time hero for hire (who looks like Captain Commando), performing various odd-jobs for the townspeople of Corja such as delivering food or finding missing children, before ending up in more intensive missions involving corporate theft, counterfeit money and mafia.

Instead of traditional turn-based battles, Taro will face enemies in a similar format to 2D fighting games, akin to Street Fighter and others, which was an unusual innovation for the RPG genre at a time. The game was a self-parody of SEGA, a decade before Segagaga was released (with a same-named protagonist), alongside cultural references of Sentai, American superheroes and Japan's culture/society between the 80's and 90's.

Despite being lesser-known compared to other Genesis games, Rent-A-Hero has proven to be popular thanks to it's comical tone and self-aware humor, having gained a modern reputation as one of SEGA's fondly-remembered cult classics. The game is one of the 42 pre-installed games on SEGA Genesis Mini's Japanese release, the Dreamcast/Xbox remake (Rent-A-Hero No. 1, which had a cancelled English adaptation) with Segata Sanshiro on it (which also has beat 'em up sections akin to Spikeout), a live stage show in Japan and had a movie/film in works. He even made appearances in Shenmue as a capsule toy, a poster on Sarah & Jacky's stage in Virtua Fighter 2, and finally, Fighters Megamix with his own vocal theme from Takenobu Mitsuyoshi, where he fought various characters such as Virtua Fighters themselves, Fighting Vipers and of all things, Hornet from Daytona USA. A idea of people renting hero suits was later revived by SEGA in a Nintendo 3DS game called Hero Bank.

For his moveset, as a tokusatsu-inspired fighter, Taro is able to perform various martial arts moves such as punches and kicks, but he also has projectile attacks, even being able to charge up for powerful special moves in Rent-A-Hero No. 1 (techniques like Energy Sword, Dragon Thunder, Burning Claw, Self Recover, Space Barrier, etc. - Ctrl + F in this page). Borrowed from both the original game and Fighters Megamix, Taro's Combat Armor has a battery meter which depletes over time. Once it drops to zero, his armor wil shut down and disappear, making him weaker in stats and unable to use special moves until he's KO'd, which fully refills his suit meter again.

Taro's female counterpart, Hiroko, who has appeared in various promotional materials, appearently dolls (from what I read on Hardcore Gaming) and even an afore-mentioned live stage show, would also potentially work as his alternate costume, akin to some characters (such as Dragon Quest's Heroes and Fire Emblem's characters like Robin, Corrin and Byleth) in Smash.

Last edited:
Another Capsule Toy submittion!

- Seaman and other Seamen
- System Debut: SEGA Dreamcast
- Series: Seaman
- First Appearance: Seaman (July 29, 1999)

Description: Seaman and his other Seamen are creatures who debuted in the game of same game. They were found in River of Egypt in 1930's and they evolved from Mushroomer, Iconic Gillfish to Tadman, which is Frog with Human Face. His Recognizable Gillfish form is appearing as Item in this Game, which if you slap someone, he would say a Offensive Insult towards Hostile Player. Sadly that other Seamen didn't join the Game as Items, but they're now appearing as Capsule Toys along with Fish Seaman. Cool and Bizzare, isn't it?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job #81: Nei (Phantasy Star 2)

1633271110096.png

I'm shocked no one has submitted her yet. Nei is a major character in Phantasy Star 2, arguably the second-most-important character in the game. She's a big time fan favorite, appearing in various forms in many different games in the series either as characters inspired by her or as a cosmetic option. She constantly appears in crossovers, has a fun moveset, and is tied to a certain major story event that is extremely memorable and is possibly one of the first ever examples of it in RPG history.

I would like if she had Rolf, the protagonist of Phantasy Star 2, in her moveset, but she should totally be the main rep. There was a post earlier in this thread that summed up her influence and how she shows up in plenty of Sega games, not just Phantasy Star. I'll try and find and quote it, but seriously we need a Phantasy Star rep and she hits that sweet spot of influential, deep cut, classic, and fan favorite all in one.

Job #81: Nei (Phantasy Star 2)

View attachment 332722

I'm shocked no one has submitted her yet. Nei is a major character in Phantasy Star 2, arguably the second-most-important character in the game. She's a big time fan favorite, appearing in various forms in many different games in the series either as characters inspired by her or as a cosmetic option. She constantly appears in crossovers, has a fun moveset, and is tied to a certain major story event that is extremely memorable and is possibly one of the first ever examples of it in RPG history.

I would like if she had Rolf, the protagonist of Phantasy Star 2, in her moveset, but she should totally be the main rep. There was a post earlier in this thread that summed up her influence and how she shows up in plenty of Sega games, not just Phantasy Star. I'll try and find and quote it, but seriously we need a Phantasy Star rep and she hits that sweet spot of influential, deep cut, classic, and fan favorite all in one.
Okay, It's gonna be the Duel between Nei and Matoi at Voting time.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Submissions are now closed!

Here are our candidates:

Selvaria Bles (@Darkonedagger)
Raidou Kuzunoha ( OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos )
Domingo ( Megadoomer Megadoomer )
Landsknecht ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
Hacker ( osby osby )
Taro Sega ( YoshiandToad YoshiandToad )
Matoi ( Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds )
Taro Yamada ( tonygameman tonygameman )
Nei ( Flyboy Flyboy )

Vote for your top 3 picks - keep your own submission in third place if you're going to self-vote.

I'll throw my own vote in:

1. Nei. I think it's time we finally add her. She has a sick design, would have a sick moveset, brings a long-overdue franchise into this roster, helps distinguish this roster from the norm of SEGA rosters and, as Fly's post makes clear, pretty much fills out her own bingo card of reasons to include a character in a crossover fighter.
2. Taro Yamada. Full disclosure, this is a biased pick on my part. But dammit, Taro is one of my most wanted characters for this project, I think he'd be a super fun character who would bring a really cool moveset and tons of personality with him, he's kept being referenced by SEGA to this day (including several instances Tony's post didn't even mention!) and similarly to Nei, I think he does a really good job at being both a relatively deeper cut and a classic legacy character at the same time. I'd love to add him someday. Even if we don't add him as a playable character, I think we at least have to include his theme song at some point
3. Raidou. He'd be so fun, easily my most wanted ATLUS character

I'll also give two honorable mentions here:

Selvaria: a very fun and deserved pick, IMO, but you see, my friends, sometimes bias triumphs over logic - and that is why I went with Taro instead
Domingo: I do think we should add a Shining character someday, but I mainly gave him a shoutout here cause I think it's a ****ing hilarious idea. There's lots of other Shining characters I'd be more interested in seeing, but I appreciate the sheer audacity of the nomination

I also generally have to say I dig how bat**** crazy this lineup is. The amount of creativity people had with their picks this time is something that I just love to see, and it makes me even more confident that we'll come out of all this with a banger roster

cashregister9

Smash Hero
This was a really damn tough vote, All of these options would be great

1. Selveria
2. Nei
3, Raidou

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
1. Nei (Phantasy Star needed to be in yesterday and Nei seems like the best choice)
2. Taro Yamada (I actually know nothing about Rent-a-Hero but Yamada sounds like he’d be a **** ton of fun!)
3. Raidou (Of course)

D

Deleted member

1. Nei
2. Raidou
3. Selvaria

I loved how crazy the options where this round. I found it super hard to pick

Flyboy

Smash Hero
1. Selvaria (Valkyria Chronicles is one of Sega's biggest modern franchises and she's just as valid to add as Alicia even if I'd prefer Alicia)
2. Taro Sega (I just find Segagaga a fascinating piece of Sega history)
3. Nei (Phantasy Star needs to be in, I nominated her for a whole bunch of reasons, let's make it happen!)

I'm gonna echo everyone else - this was an awesome round that had people digging deep for some killer picks.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
1. Selvaria. Valkyria Chronicles is my favourite of the new Sega series I tried this year by a wide margin so a VC character was always walking away with my top vote.
2. Nei. I once nominated her myself, so I'm clearly fond of her.
3. Domingo. Just silly enough to appeal to me. I love unconventional character designs and Domingo fits that bill to the tee.

Honourable mention to Hacker who seems like an unusual but intriguing option for a class, and Rent-A-Hero's Taro Yamada (also how strange we got two Taro's in one round)

Top Bottom