• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Battle of AGES, a SEGA platform fighter

What's the roster number gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
YOU KNOW WHAT! IM GONNA DO SOMETHING BETTER!
REAL JOB 72:
Ocean (Ecco the Dolphin)

The Platform is Ecco the Dolphin himself, who dives into water and make the fight more Water physics-like Brawl. The Underwater portion can let you swim, but not Drown (Screw real physics, this game Shouldn't be Realistic, it should be Unrealistic). Ecco can go out from the Water, making fight normal now.

The Inclusion of this Stage would be cool, since Ecco is very obscure franchise from SEGA. And he debuted on Console, which is SEGA Mega Drive. This Stage is unique for the Mechanics like swimming underwater. This stage should deserve on the spot for the Stage Roster.

(SEE? I KNOW YOURE GONNA LIKE IT!)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Okay, let's try that again!

Job 72: Comix Zone (Comix Zone) (Mega Drive/Genesis)

Comix-Zone-Stage.png

This stage is set inside...well...a comic. And just like in Comix Zone, that offers certain perks.

Players can smash their opponents against the walls of each panel allowing them to wall juggle, with powerful attacks getting their own sound effects popping up in glorious 2D text.

Yes, those panels can be broken through with enough force, allowing players to hop to other panels whether that be left, right, down or up allowing for some exploration.

If a player does well enough, the narrator/guide will pop up in the top left corner to narrate their success. The popped up panel does act as an item that can be thrown at opponents, weaponising the narrator. However after they are thrown, they will disappear again until the next huge successful moment.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm so sad that we can't rely on fringe cases to get stuff like Night Trap or Snatcher in here...what a great stage idea especially because of how important that game is to Sega history. I get why we try and keep things rigid and Sega-owned but I just wanted to express my love for the idea even if it was disqualified.

Another Capsule Submittion from Others:
- Ecco (Ecco the Dolphin)

- System Debut: Sega Mega Drive
- Series: Ecco the Dolphin
- First Appearance: Ecco the Dolphin (December 23, 1992)

Description: Ecco the Dolphin is main character of his Series of the same name. Ecco is Bottlenose Dolphin, who fights Extraterrestrial threats while travelling throught Time like in his games. He was challenged by his podmate and after Mate's challenge, Ecco realized that whole Marine Life was taken from Ecco's Bay. Ecco needed to save the ocean and he went to Atlantis and traveled back in time 55 million years into Past, where he meets Pteranodon and learns the Ancient Song with him. After coming Back to Present time, he fought back Vortex Queen and Saved the Ocean. He even has own Descendant named Trellia from Tides of Time. Interesting, isn't it?

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
So I decided to submit a stage of my own. There were a lot of other IP I considered for submission, but ultimately, there was one in particular that I was more interested in submitting. I hope you like seeing me gush about weird SEGA ****, cause that's all I'll be doing with this one:

Job #72: Apartment #203 from Roommania #203
1359744-roommania1.png

So you may be asking yourself "the **** is a Roommania?". I shall explain.

Roommania #203 is a weird sort of life simulation game released for the Dreamcast in 2000. In it, you - the player - are following the life of a man named Neji Taihei, a college student who....kinda lives a whatever life. He spends most of his days just lazing around in his apartment, smoking and watching TV. And it's up to you to make his existence more meaningful! (The game's words, not mine.) How do you do this? The game gives you a first-person view of Neji's day-to-day habits from various camera angles, and you just throw balls at objects to get him to try to interact with them! For example, you can keep chucking balls at the computer to get him to go on his favorite curry-themed message board. The game has an in-game calendar that lets you check in on his room at different days and times of day. It also gives you "missions" of sorts that are started up by cutscenes that give you hints as to what to do - all in the name of getting him to live life! I myself would recommend you check out a playthrough of the game, as even I feel like I can't do 100% justice to how this game works. But overall: weird **** happens, and it's fascinating to see the results of your Wacky Shenanigans unfold.

This game very much falls in line with a lot of other games in the Dreamcast era, where you could see that SEGA were getting hella experimental - what with your Space Channel 5s and Jet Set Radios and Shenmues and Rezes and Napple Tales and so on. This even shows with some of their arcade games of the time, like Crazy Taxi. Also worth noting is that this game was actually mainly the work of one Tomoko Sasaki, a composer at SEGA who's best known for her work on the NiGHTS series (fun fact: she did the Ashley's Song remix for Brawl!), and we'll get back to her involvement in the game later. I think she actually once cited internet webcams as an inspiration for this game's gameplay loop, and I guess you could see it that way. It's also been described as more of an "intervention simulator" rather than your usual life simulation game. While the original game was for the Dreamcast, thus making it eligible for this job, the series actually had its last hurrah on the PS2, with not only a port of the original game, but a full-on sequel, titled New Roommania: Porori Seishun. Throughout all this, however, the series has remained without any international releases. I don't even know if there are any fan translations out there, to be honest!

So what about the stage itself? Well, you fight in Neji's room. There are times in the game where he's not home, and the player gets to snoop around and even mess with some of his stuff. And as such, the fights we'll partake in here end up making a total mess of his room. Wanna knock your opponent into a computer, destroying it in the process? Go ahead, you can do just that in this stage! However, it is a bit of a cramped place, and as such, the fighters would get a slight downscale here. Not outright tiny, but smaller than the average proportions of a human relative to the room. I'd put them at about the height of the table in the above image: small enough that the room can work as a platform fighter stage, but big enough that the appeal of Football Manager ****ing up some random dude's apartment in an intense battle to the death is still there. Even so, this would still be on the smaller side of this game's stage roster, which would make it all the more chaotic. But that's not just due to the stage's smaller size and breakable objects, as in fact, this stage actually has a hazard:

The player.

Back to what I said about how the game worked: as I'd said, it partly consisted of the player chucking balls at things to get Neji to interact with them, or to interact with them yourself. Well, you're not the only ones snooping around on his apartment while he's away: the player is here too. And as such, sometimes, a small warning sign will show up on a certain part of the stage - and a buncha balls start coming in from the foreground, damaging anyone who gets in their way!

So overall, this stage can be described as absolute madness. And how do you make all that really come together? With a healthy dose of late 90s J-pop.

I obviously won't be putting any cohesive tracklists together just yet, but I do believe it's worth mentioning that this stage actually would have some pretty good music potential. You see, around this time, the aforementioned Tomoko Sasaki was working on a project with some other members of Wave Master, SEGA's in-house record label. Said project was a fake singer, named Serani Poji. They released a few albums under that name, and it's an interesting part of SEGA history. However, there are two important things to note here - A. Tomoko composed Serani Poji's music, and B. most of her discography was actually featured in this very game! Since then, the works of Serani Poji have come to be widely associated with Roommania, which in a weird roundabout way, also makes this game feel strongly tied to the early days of Wave Master, which is still going to this day. So not only does it overall make for a pretty cool piece of history.....it also provides this stage with some pretty good music potential. Just fill it up with Serani Poji music! And trust me, there's some pretty good **** in there too.

So overall, I think this would make for a pretty cool stage. SEGA have still celebrated this game in small ways from time to time - for a recent example, Neji actually got his own 60th anniversary pfp when they rolled these out - so it's a sensible deep cut to make, all things considered. Anyway yeah it'd be epic I think

osby

Smash Obsessed
This is a bit hard voting period as all stages bring something worthy.

1. Sunny Mountain. This one's simple and effective. I liked the layout described and the unique setting.
  2. Apartment #203. Probably the most interesting stage idea I've seen so far.
  3. Comix Zone. Can't say I'm a big fan of this game but it'd translate into a stage so well.

D

Deleted member

1. Graveyard Concert
2. Apartment #203
3. Comix Zone

Last edited by a moderator:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
1. Graveyard Concert (I just think this one is a really cool concept)
2. Apartment #203 (very unique)
3. Betsy's Room (I do enjoy Clockwork Knight, and the idea of a toy based stage holds a great deal of appeal to me)

I can't vote for the ocean though as I (not so secretly) think Ecco would be a great oddball fighter option, although I do think a huge underwater stage would be great. Hopefully we get to revisit Ecco at some point in the future, the background info on that series is nuts.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
  1. Graveyard Concert (Mr. Bones) - What a deep cut, I love it. This game is so wack and deserves more recognition. The idea of a guitarist skeleton just jamming in the background is amazing too, as the music playing in the stage could be diegetic, which I'm all for.
  2. Apartment #203 (Roommania #203) - I've never heard of this game before today but holy **** both it and the stage idea sound ****ing bonkers I love it.
  3. Comix Zone - Big fan of this stage idea, what I'm imagining is something like the KOF Stadium but instead of KO'ing opponents, you'd gain access to another area. Neat stuff.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
1. Graveyard Concert
2. Apartment #203
3. Betsy's Room

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
1. Comix Zone (Sketch Turner would be a cool fighter and all but he's hardly high-priority for me - though I LOVE the stage concept enough to want to see it)
2. Apartment #203 (A deep cut I hadn't heard of but would fulfil my deep need for a Night Trap-type stage, super unique)
3. Graveyard Concert (Shameless self-vote, though I adore Robotto's idea of the music in this stage being diegetic. It has such a great OST)

That said, I love all the suggestions here and I'm especially hoping to see Sunny Mountain and Betsy's Room come back into the conversation if they don't win here. I'd also, as I said in my own writeup, love to see Ecco content, along with an underwater/Tides of Time stage...He'd need some workshopping to be a fighter but I'd love to see this thread make it happen. This was a fun round!

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
1. Graveyard Concert (This one just hits all the right notes for me. It’s an excellent deep cut, super creative conceptually, and I dig the aesthetic)
2. Comix Zone (Another really inventive stage that I think would translate well into a platform fighter)
3. Apartment #203 (Can you tell that I love bat**** insane stage concepts like this? Because this is another great stage idea that I wouldn’t have even thought about)

Although the idea got scrapped, I really wanna give a special shoutout to YoshiandToad’s initial Night Trap stage pitch. It’s understandable why it’s not eligible, but it’s a damn shame Sega doesn’t actually own Night Trap because it’s such a fascinating piece of gaming history and I adore the concept. Honestly really loved everyone’s pitches here and I’d love to see all these stages come up again whenever we do another misc. stage prompt where they’re eligible.

D

Deleted member

1. Comic Zone
2.Betsy Room
3.Graveyard Concert

These were good stages selection this time actually the rest of them are very very close honorable mentions

1. Graveyard Concert (I just think this one is a really cool concept)
2. Apartment #203 (very unique)
3. Betsy's Room (I do enjoy Clockwork Knight, and the idea of a toy based stage holds a great deal of appeal to me)

I can't vote for the ocean though as I (not so secretly) think Ecco would be a great oddball fighter option, although I do think a huge underwater stage would be great. Hopefully we get to revisit Ecco at some point in the future, the background info on that series is nuts.
I don't think that Dolphin can Fight in the Game.
I understand Hornet to be Joke Playable in Battle of AGES, but Ecco?

Ecco's just a Dolphin.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, the votes have arrived:

Sunny Mountain: 12 points
Betsy's Room: 5 points
Graveyard Concert: 20 points
Ocean: 3 points
Comix Zone: 21 points
Apartment #203: 17 points

And with that, we have a winner: The Comix Zone will be our next stage and our second misc. stage! Now then....I did say that whatever stage won would disconfirm their series....which means that characters like Sketch Turner are now out of the running for the base roster.

For reference, our current list of IP that have been disconfirmed for the base roster is as follows:

-OutRun
-Mushiking
-Virtua Cop
-Comix Zone

With that said, since we just added a new stage, we will now proceed to the "second step" of sorts for adding a stage:

Job #73: Submit a tracklist for Comix Zone

Yeah, we'll keep this system going! Anyway, lemme just say a few things:

-Remember to keep it to a max number of 16 tracks as usual
-As for the music featured, I'll let you include more "misc." music than usual. I'd usually recommend you to only add, like, 2 tracks, but I realize that smaller IP have smaller pools of music to pull from, and as such, I'll let the amount of "other" tracks included be up to you, as long as you make good use of Comix Zone itself's music
-Sort of on that note, I understand that it might still be harder to put together a tracklist for a smaller series like this regardless, and as such, I'll remind you that 16 tracks is only the maximum number, not the required number. You can have a shorter tracklist if need be.

Alright, that should be everything. Now let's get to it!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I don't think that Dolphin can Fight in the Game.
I understand Hornet to be Joke Playable in Battle of AGES, but Ecco?

Ecco's just a Dolphin.
I feel like we could make it work if we tried.

Whilst Ecco starts off as a pretty normal dolphin as you say in the first game with his charge and sonar attack, he ramps it up pretty quickly in the sequels:

Ecco the Dolphin: The Tides of Time gives him the ability to:
  1. Shapeshift into other animals such as a seagull, a shark, a shoal of fish, a jellyfish or a Vortex Drone(The alien enemies in Ecco. I'll need to double check this is definitely one of his transformations, but I know the rest are for sure)
  2. Open portals/bubble rings to time travel/dimension travel/teleport
  3. Swim through water mazes suspended in the sky, allowing for some air swimming as Osby suggested. As long as there's water surrounding him.
  4. Surviving outside the water sliding across solid floors in an area where he must traverse an alien ruin.
Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future gives him various songs that up his abilities including:
  1. A song that stuns/confuses enemies (potential instant shield break ability?)
  2. The ability to temporarily turn invisible
  3. A song that can make plants shoot ink out at enemies(we'd probably have to have the plant be grown by the song too)
  4. The ability to summon marine animals to aid/follow him (we could take this to it's natural conclusion and have turtles shield him with their shells, manta rays swarm opponents, etc.
Ecco's a really weird series. It's about a normal dolphin become a superhero and fighting off aliens and gaining all kinds of super natural skills.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Job #73: Comix Zone Tracklist
  1. Into the Zone
  2. Episode 1-1
  3. Seen it for Days
  4. Feed My Disease
  5. Episode 2, Page 1-3
  6. 10,000 Knives
  7. Episode 3, Page 1-3
  8. Woe is the World
  9. Battle with Mortus
  10. Ending Theme/Staff Roll
  11. Terraport/Bamboo Mill (Vectorman)
  12. Insectia (Bug!)
  13. Cave (Kid Chameleon)
  14. Don’t Think Play (Mr. Bones)
  15. Welcome to the Machine (Ecco the Dolphin)
  16. Minotaur Maze (Wild Woody)
As was already alluded to, Comix Zone is a pretty small series only consisting of one game, so coming up with a full 16 song tracklist was a bit of a hefty task. I included every named track from the soundtrack CD as well as a few other noteworthy Comix Zone tracks to help pad things out a bit. So that’s 10 slots for music taken up so far. Not bad, but I think we can add a bit of extra meat to this track list. So what I decided to do was give the rest of the real estate to songs from various other Sega of America developed games. Things like your Vectormans and your Ecco the Dolphins and whatnot. Also Wild Woody is there specifically to pander to Speed Weed.

EDIT: I got bit by the “completely forgetting Sega doesn’t own Toejam & Earl” bug when posting this so I replaced that song with a track from Bug!. I double checked just to make sure and I couldn’t find anything that would indicate that Sega doesn’t own Bug so that’s what I’m sticking with.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Job #73: Comix Zone Tracklist
  1. Into the Zone
  2. Episode 1-1
  3. Seen it for Days
  4. Feed My Disease
  5. Episode 2, Page 1-3
  6. 10,000 Knives
  7. Episode 3, Page 1-3
  8. Woe is the World
  9. Battle with Mortus
  10. Ending Theme/Staff Roll
  11. Terraport/Bamboo Mill (Vectorman)
  12. Toejam Jammin’ (Toejam & Earl)
  13. Cave (Kid Chamelion)
  14. Don’t Think Play (Mr. Bones)
  15. Welcome to the Machine (Ecco the Dolphin)
  16. Minotaur Maze (Wild Woody)
As was already alluded to, Comix Zone is a pretty small series only consisting of one game, so coming up with a full 16 song tracklist was a bit of a hefty task. I included every named track from the soundtrack CD as well as a few other noteworthy Comix Zone tracks to help pad things out a bit. So that’s 10 slots for music taken up so far. Not bad, but I think we can add a bit of extra meat to this track list. So what I decided to do was give the rest of the real estate to songs from various other Sega of America developed games. Things like your Vectormans and your Ecco the Dolphins and whatnot. Also Wild Woody is there specifically to pander to Speed Weed.
Now hold on there chief, I do feel like I have to bring up that SEGA do not, in fact, own ToeJam and Earl. They do sometimes act like they own them either way, buuuuuuuuuuut I think I'd still rather keep it to SEGA-owned IP. I removed the VMU RPG mook we'd added from the series a while ago for that reason.

this is a good tracklist tho. I'm actually not the biggest fan of most of the 90s SEGA of America stuff which is why it kinda frustrates me when fan rosters add a bajillion of these characters but Wild Woody, Ecco and Mr. Bones being there make up for all that, and either way, putting all this in one focused place helps us have the chance to shine the spotlight on other stuff later on so hey

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Now hold on there chief, I do feel like I have to bring up that SEGA do not, in fact, own ToeJam and Earl. They do sometimes act like they own them either way, buuuuuuuuuuut I think I'd still rather keep it to SEGA-owned IP. I removed the VMU RPG mook we'd added from the series a while ago for that reason.

this is a good tracklist tho. I'm actually not the biggest fan of most of the 90s SEGA of America stuff which is why it kinda frustrates me when fan rosters add a bajillion of these characters but Wild Woody, Ecco and Mr. Bones being there make up for all that, and either way, putting all this in one focused place helps us have the chance to shine the spotlight on other stuff later on so hey
Ah, oops. I remember we had a VMU mook a while back so I figured Toejam & Earl content was on the table, but I had no idea we removed it. I’ll find a replacement for that track as soon as possible and make sure it fits the criteria.

I feel like we could make it work if we tried.

Whilst Ecco starts off as a pretty normal dolphin as you say in the first game with his charge and sonar attack, he ramps it up pretty quickly in the sequels:

Ecco the Dolphin: The Tides of Time gives him the ability to:
  1. Shapeshift into other animals such as a seagull, a shark, a shoal of fish, a jellyfish or a Vortex Drone(The alien enemies in Ecco. I'll need to double check this is definitely one of his transformations, but I know the rest are for sure)
  2. Open portals/bubble rings to time travel/dimension travel/teleport
  3. Swim through water mazes suspended in the sky, allowing for some air swimming as Osby suggested. As long as there's water surrounding him.
  4. Surviving outside the water sliding across solid floors in an area where he must traverse an alien ruin.
Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future gives him various songs that up his abilities including:
  1. A song that stuns/confuses enemies (potential instant shield break ability?)
  2. The ability to temporarily turn invisible
  3. A song that can make plants shoot ink out at enemies(we'd probably have to have the plant be grown by the song too)
  4. The ability to summon marine animals to aid/follow him (we could take this to it's natural conclusion and have turtles shield him with their shells, manta rays swarm opponents, etc.
Ecco's a really weird series. It's about a normal dolphin become a superhero and fighting off aliens and gaining all kinds of super natural skills.
Good idea, bro.
I also Expect AGES from Sonic and Allstars Racing Transformed as Playable Character, which it would make more sense as Fighter than Ecco (No offense, but I'm trying to be Honest.
A Mechanical VMU doesn't decreases its chances to be Playable as Joke Character.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Good idea, bro.
I also Expect AGES from Sonic and Allstars Racing Transformed as Playable Character, which it would make more sense as Fighter than Ecco (No offense, but I'm trying to be Honest.
A Mechanical VMU doesn't decreases its chances to be Playable as Joke Character.
I mean, no offence but I have a lot harder time visualising AGES as a fighter considering it's not a character and just a collection of two pieces of hardware and two different game vehicles.

I mean, no offence but I have a lot harder time visualising AGES as a fighter considering it's not a character and just a collection of two pieces of hardware and two different game vehicles.
Well, since you're right. But, don't forget that AGES would be mix of R.O.B (Due to his Medium size and Mid-Heavyweight) and Duck Hunt (due to moves that Reference other Games) of SEGA: BATTLE OF AGES.
C'mon, we can't leave that Cute Sentient VMU as an absent Character, he could represent other Sega Properties represented as Small Amounts like Space Harrier or Daytona USA.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Okay, OrpheusTelos' tracklist wins by default!

And with that, we're moving onto our next character prompt! I haven't posted The List Of Represented IP in a while, so here it is now:

Series mainly repped by characters: Sonic, Virtua Fighter, Alex Kidd, Yakuza, Sakura Wars, Space Channel 5, Fantasy Zone, Streets of Rage, Skies of Arcadia, Persona, NiGHTS, Bayonetta

Series mainly repped by stages: OutRun, Comix Zone

Series mainly repped by assists: Mushiking, Virtua Cop

Series mainly repped by items so far: Periscope, Golden Axe, Seaman, Puyo Puyo

Series mainly repped by VMU RPG mooks so far: 7th Dragon, Billy Hatcher, ChuChu Rocket, Ecco the Dolphin, House of the Dead, Phantasy Star, Shinobi, Space Harrier, Valkyria Chronicles, Doki Doki Penguin Land, Pengo, Shin Megami Tensei, Ristar, Super Monkey Ball

Series mainly repped by music so far: Pit Pot, Teddy Boy Blues, Scud Race/SEGA Super GT, Hang-On, Power Drift, Virtua Racing, After Burner, Vectorman, Bug!, Kid Chameleon, Mr. Bones, Wild Woody

Series mainly repped by Capsule Toys so far: Rhythm Thief, Arabian Fight, SEGA Rally, Cyber Troopers Virtual-ON, Galaxy Force, Girl's Garden, 16t, Dynamite Düx, Zaxxon, Congo Bongo, SEGA Channel, Napple Tale, The Ocean Hunter, Quartet, Love and Berry, Sands of Destruction, Baku Baku Animal, Project 575, Shining, Daytona USA, Arrow Flash, Illbleed, SEGA Race TV

We officially have Wild Woody represented in our project in some form now. This is an actual ****ing milestone.

And with that.....

Job #74: Submit a third Sonic rep and a third Virtua Fighter rep

And here we are once again with these two! I did say that these two series would get their own specialized character jobs, and we're seeing that again right now. Do keep in mind that while we'll still have one more Sonic rep left after this job is done and over with, this will be the final Virtua Fighter rep we add.

Anyway....yeah. This is much like the prompt we already did for the second reps. I know this might not seem as interesting of a character job, but A. at least we're getting these out of the way, and B. I promise the next few character jobs should be kino as ****

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Job #74

I’m gonna pitch my boys Knuckles and Jacky again, this time with updated write-ups.

Sonic Character: & Knuckles

B2E9EBA1-81E8-4C14-B2EE-9FB3D8C3854A.png

Knuckles is one of Sonic’s closest friends and guardian of the Master Emerald. He was originally introduced as a secondary antagonist in Sonic the Hedgehog 3, but has since become one of Sonic’s closest allies. He’s a bit of a meat-head and can be very easily manipulated, a trait that Dr. Eggman has exploited in earlier games to turn Knuckles against Sonic, but his heart is always in the right place thanks to his dedication to protecting the Master Emerald and his friends. Also, I cannot undersell Knuckles’ hugely successful rap career in Sonic Adventure 2. Literally nothing but absolute fire from this man.

I’m sure I don’t need to tell y'all how huge of a deal Knuckles is. Him, Sonic, and Tails make up the holy trinity of classic player characters and he’s been playable in just about every mainline Sonic game since Sonic & Knuckles all the way until Sonic 06. Even after that, he’s still prominently featured in most modern games and became playable again in Sonic Mania. He got his own game, Knuckles’ Chaotix, for the obscure 32x add-on. The Echidna tribe lore plays an important role in SA1’s overall story, making Knuckles a pretty major player in that game and the overall Sonic lore. And we can’t forget that the upcoming second Sonic movie is hyping up the appearance of Knuckles (played by Idris Elba) pretty hard. Point is, Knuckles is a pretty big deal within the Sonic Cinematic Universe and makes more than plenty of sense to include as one of the series’ four reps.

Being arguably the most well-adept at fighting out of Sonic’s massive cast, Knuckles isn’t hurting at all for moveset potential. Knuckles’ greatest asset is his, well, Knuckles. He’d mostly fit within the brawler archetype and have a lot of heavy punches for his attacks. He also has plenty of unique abilities, such as the ability to glide, climb on walls, and dig underground. Even if he shares a few common abilities with Sonic, Knuckles has more than enough distinct attributes to make him a totally unique fighter.

Virtua Fighter character: Jacky Bryant

416F58EE-671D-46B4-988B-75881D243913.jpeg

Jacky Bryant, also known as the Blue Flash, is an Indy racer from San Francisco and the brother of our very own Sarah Bryant. He is a practitioner of Jeet Kune Do, a freeform fighting style created by Bruce Lee. Jacky also has a great love for speed, priding himself on being “faster than lightning” and having low tolerance for anything he considers slow.

I know Jacky might be considered redundant with Sarah on the roster, but personally I think there’s room for both. Jacky’s shown himself to be a very popular figure in the Virtua Fighter series. He was in Smash as a Mii Costume, he showed up in All Star Racing, and he was in Dead or Alive with Akira, Sarah, and Pai. And even with Sarah in the picture, their playstyles are unique enough to where they’d still stand out from each other. While Sarah is more of an all-rounder type fighter in Battle of Ages, I can see Jacky being more of a rushdown type of fighter, focusing more on combos and dealing quick blows. Plus, I just think Jacky is rad. I’m not super familiar with Virtua fighter, but a badass Indy racer who fights like Bruce Lee sounds like the recipe for a perfect character. Also, it’s just nice to have options for these submissions.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I nominated these two before and I updated their write-ups a bit:

Job #74:

Sonic the Hedgehog:
Amy Rose

View attachment 320343

Amy is a cheerful and unpredictable girl who first appeared on Sonic CD and became a major character with Sonic Adventure. Along with Tails and Knuckles, she's one of the central protagonists of the series and notably was pretty much the main character of a previous crossover, SEGA Heroes. Being Sonic’s self-proclaimed girlfriend, it's only natural that she follows him in Battle of AGES.

While not one of the essential core cast of the series, Amy stands out among others due to a few reasons, such as going from an NPC to a playable character during Sonic's transition to 3D games and generally being the first playable female Sonic character.

As for what she can bring to the table in terms of moveset... well, her giant Piko Piko hammer immediately sets her apart as a weapon user and can allow her to be a nice contrast to Sonic and Dr. Eggman's playstyle by allowing her to be a small, yet hard-hitting character with long-range.

Virtua Fighter: Pai Chan

View attachment 320345

Pai is a practitioner of the Mizongquan, a martial arts that focuses on unpredictable attacks from all angles, and an action movie star. She's the daughter of Lau Chan and a training partner of Akira. She's a consistently popular and important character and being the "Chun-Li" of Virtua Fighter, she is one of the most prominent characters in other media after Akira, following him to pretty much all crossovers, such as Dead or Alive, Project X Zone, and Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax.

Pai's moveset would be a more air-oriented take on the VF formula compared to the grounded Akira and all-rounder Sarah, given how her fighting style is especially dangerous against airborne opponents. Attacking with weaker attacks that leave little vulnerability after, she would focus on quick air combos over flashy finishers and balance low stamina with high agility. With its high leaps and hits that strike from all angles of her fighting style, she'd play the role of a fighting game character to feels at home in a platforming game.

I'm gonna Submit Sonic Rep:
Shadow the Hedgehog

He is really popular Sonic Character and he should be included, because he has moveset potential to borrow from Sonic Games like Chaos Control or etc.
BTW, he would be unique pick for Sonic Rep because of being Sonic's Rival that would fit into Game and he would be Lighter than Sonic, but Stronger than Him and if he was in the Game, his Final Smash would be super Shadow that would act like Sonic's FS in Ultimate.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Sonic:

Blaze the Cat

Blaze is a popular character who debuted in Sonic Rush and has made appearances since then. Blaze would be an interesting pick because she is really popular and has a lot of move set potential with her fire powers

Virtua Fighter:

Aoi Umenokoji

Aoi Umenokoji is a Childhood friend of Akira Yuki and would have some fun moveset potential with the amount of Counters and Reversals she has

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Job #74a: Tails (aka Miles Prower) (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Tails.png

I feel like I don't need to give too much introduction to Tails as most of you are likely familiar with the two tailed fox, but I'm going to do it anyway because I absolutely adore this little tyke.

Tails is Sonic's best friend, sidekick, pilot, mechanic and very much the 'brains' of Team Sonic, a staple of the Sonic series and one of the few characters even people who claim to hate the majority of Sonic's woodland buddies tend to make an exception for.

He's starred in a grand total of three games all on his own, the most of any Sonic character that isn't Sonic himself:
  1. Tails Adventure: A genuinely fantastic little Metroidvania style title that stars a Tails prior to becoming Sonic's sidekick protecting his island home from an invading force using his inventions which include a submarine that shoots torpedoes, a wide selection of bombs including fricking napalm, and a robotic version of himself used for recon work,
  2. Tails Skypatrol: Deceptively harder than it first looks, in this game Tails must travel through cavernous mazes, without landing and must stay aloft through mint candy(which just so happened to be his favourite food officially later on). Tails is armed with a ring which he can fire out to take care of swarms of enemies.
  3. Tails and the Music Maker: An edutainment game focused around the use of music aimed at a far younger audience than typical Sonic affair. Surprisingly in this game Tails still gets to use the spindash move for some minigames such as one breakout style minigame.
Tails has easily enough just in the three above games to create a fresh moveset for, but he's also had the good fortune of starring in most of Sonic's adventures alongside the blue blur.

With his many unique inventions, his ability to spindash and his trademark flight, Tails is one of the few Sonic characters to nearly always accompany Sonic on his adventures, making his inclusion alongside Sonic and Dr. Eggman make a lot of sense, the three of them being the most reoccurring characters in the series overall.

Just this week he's become a cookie alongside Sonic in Cookie Run Kingdom:

Tails-Cookie.png

and later this year he's joining Sonic, Kiryu, Morgana, Beat and the Monkey Ball gang in Super Monkey Ball:

Tails-Monkey-Ball.png

What a cutie. Honestly I could gush about this adorable little fox all day given half the chance, but it's time to move on to the Virtua Fighter character!

-----------------------------------

Job 74b: Goh Hinogami
You know what we're lacking still? Villains.

Dr. Eggman is sitting there looking a little lonely, and whilst I love Tails far too much to submit a secondary antagonist from Sonic the Hedgehog, I'm not above suggesting a full blown villain for some spice in Virtua Fighter.

Goh-Hinogami.png

This delightful fellow is Goh Hinogami.

He is a specialist assassin working for J6, the main antagonists of the Virtua Fighter series and the first real member outside of Dural to put in an appearance.

Goh specialises in Judo techniques, which is rather unusual for an assassin seeing as it's considered a 'gentle' martial art, but Goh combines his Judo skills with a deadly vicious streak, kicking opponents when they're down, mocking them, laughing at them and even stomping on downed opponents vitals, and has been known once he has grabbed a hold of an opponent to not be above breaking their legs or arms, taking malicious delight in his unfortunate opponents suffering.

Last edited:
Top Bottom