• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Battle of AGES, a SEGA platform fighter

What's the roster number gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
1. Shenmue
2. Shining
3. Streets of Rage
4. Bayonetta

Flyboy

Smash Hero
1. Phantasy Star - I think PSO would be really cool to get in! Tons of character potential and a major franchise.

2. House of the Dead - Rikiya is great, but getting a real monster in would be so fun.

3. Puyo Puyo - Between the interesting side characters, my personal favorite Puyo character being one of the new protagonists, and the main villain being utterly delightful it's a fun series!

4. Valkyria Chronicles - I don't want to repeat myself...I just think it's right.

A lot of these are definitely gonna get people in DLC, I can feel it in my bones.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
  1. Phantasy Star
  2. Valkyria Chronicles
  3. Sakura Wars
  4. Streets of Rage

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
1. Valkyria Chronicles - I don't want to repeat myself...I just think it's right.

2. Phantasy Star - I think PSO would be really cool to get in! Tons of character potential and a major franchise.

3. House of the Dead - Rikiya is great, but getting a real monster in would be so fun.

4. Puyo Puyo - Between the interesting side characters, my personal favorite Puyo character being one of the new protagonists, and the main villain being utterly delightful it's a fun series!

A lot of these are definitely gonna get people in DLC, I can feel it in my bones.
Remember that you can only put your own submission in fourth place

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
Edit: Changing things up just slightly here.

1. Valkyria Chronicles (I have personal bias for this franchise, also I really just really think a more traditional/major character is all this roster would really need for me to feel complete, personally. I agree that just having Selvaria feels like something's missing.)
2. Phantasy Star (Y'know, after doing a deep dive today into the old school games, I actually really want to see if I can boost Phantasy Star's chances. I'm still not super familiar with the series, but I want to see more of it. I know It's also a huge JRPG series for SEGA, so I'm going to give this a big boost.)
3. Bayonetta (This is one of the series here I'm the most familiar with after Valkyria, truthfully. Rodin and Jeanne seem like the obvious picks, but I would like to weigh the options.)
4. Streets of Rage (I mean...it's Streets of Rage. Huge old school SEGA title. Great beat 'em up. It's full of plenty of great characters, both playable and bosses.)

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
1. Streets of Rage
2. The House of the Dead
3. Puyo Puyo
4. Virtual-ON

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright fellas, here come the results--

SoR: 23 points
VC: 22 points
PS: 20 points
Bayo: 10 pointst
Shining: 5 points
SW: 16 points
Shenmue: 4 points
Monki: 1 points
Puyo: 6 points
HotD: 11 points
JSR: 7 points
Virtual-ON: 6 points

So........I'll be honest, we have a victory by literally One Point, and I'd normally just give it to the series that won by one point, but I don't know if I feel like doing that right now. Cause like, we're still gonna barely scratch the surface of what's possible with additional reps even after DLC if we only do three in base I feel. Also, I've admittedly kinda started to agree that the Valkyria representation feels incomplete with just Selvaria.

So I've decided to pull an epic gamer move.

I'm extending the base roster size by one character. We're now having 36 characters instead of 35, because both Streets of Rage and Valkyria Chronicles will be getting the double dip!!!!!!

So we better get to work on that now:

Job #182: Submit a second Streets of Rage rep and a second Valkyria Chronicles rep

hell yeah lets gooooooooo

Keep in mind that for SoR, Adam, Skate and Cherry are all out of the running, and for Valkyria, Kai Schulen is out of the running. ok now bye

Blaze Fielding (Streets of Rage)
1649176763440.png

Blaze Fielding is a one of supporting characters from Streets of Rage series and she is former police officer of Wood Oak city.
She is a Caucasian woman with long brown hair and she wears black jacket along with red dress and red boots (As it was shown in the games).

She would have interesting moveset potential in terms of Fighting and her fighting moves would fit in Sega Platform Fighter without any problems.
She would be middleweight rushdown character with no abilities to air Dash.

I nominate Blaze, because she is one of well-known SoR side characters and she deserves a spot for BoA roster.
Also, having another Beat'em up character in roster would be fun for people, who like to play Beat'em Ups, especially the Streets of Rage games.

Attachments

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Blaze Fielding (Streets of Rage)
View attachment 349467
Blaze Fielding is a one of supporting characters from Streets of Rage series and she is former police officer of Wood Oak city.
She is a Caucasian woman with long brown hair and she wears black jacket along with red dress and red boots (As it was shown in the games).

She would have interesting moveset potential in terms of Fighting and her fighting moves would fit in Sega Platform Fighter without any problems.
She would be middleweight rushdown character with no abilities to air Dash.

I nominate Blaze, because she is one of well-known SoR side characters and she deserves a spot for BoA roster.
Also, having another Beat'em up character in roster would be fun for people, who like to play Beat'em Ups, especially the Streets of Rage games.

Matoi (Phantasy Star)
View attachment 349468
Matoi
is a Character from Phantasy Star, who debuted on Phantasy Star Online 2. She was a Previous member of Council of Six, which she was included. Now after being in Council, she is now titled person named: Guardian. Ineach of episode, she progressed from mentioned earlier member of Council of Six to Guardian herself.

Her series Phantasy Star takes place in Solar System called Algol and Heroes need to fight the evil before Algol will be gone (I didn't played those games, so I need to say with my own words about the series.). The series where Matoi Originated is like Fire Emblem of SEGA, but it is set in Outer Space in fictional system. Her series was Popular RPG series made by SEGA that became Fire Emblem of SEGA itself.

Her moveset could reference Phantasy Star Online games. She could use her staff for attacking opponents or use other weapons from PSO like Sue's claws for example.

I nominated her because I took inspiration from Guy named MasterCheef on this Website and he mentioned Matoi, so why not Matoi can join Battle of Ages? Despite Anime-like appearance, she can join the Roster no matter how she looks like, she has moveset potential from Phantasy Star Online games.
She even could represent Phantasy Star Online herself.
PS didn't win. Valkyria did.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Streets of Rage character: Roo

Roo.png

Yes, we all love Blaze, but let's not forget we could be playing a kangaroo with boxing gloves that can summon CLOWNS.

Roo is a trained boxing kangaroo who used to belong Bruce, a clown with a whip and the pair acted as a boss.

One of the options players have in Streets of Rage 3 is just kick the ever loving crap out of Bruce who whipped Roo mercilessly. If you beat Bruce whilst Roo was still alive, Roo would bounce off screen...and become a playable character should any of Axel, Blaze, Skate or Dr. Zan die. Roo couldn't pick up weapons or throw enemies, but he had powerful attacks and could jump insanely well.

In Streets of Rage 4 he found his calling as a barkeep at Barbon's bar. However, thanks to the Mr. X's Nightmare DLC, he was readded as a secret character.

Now Roo can summon Bruce as his special...and if he has multiple specials stored he can summon multiple Bruces...all of whom will whip their way through enemies and bosses health in no time at all.

Valkyria Character coming soon...

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #129a: Shiva (Streets of Rage)

1649178945932.png

An old foe turned friend, Shiva was once the right-hand man of the evil Mr. X. After his defeat, however, he reforms himself and returns being a martial arts teacher. Unlike the hot-blooded Axel, he's a calm man of few words who calculates every move before striking.

Shiva is just an overall cool character and even creates his shadow clones which has to be somewhere in his moveset if he gets in. He also has a special mechanic in SoR4 where he can't hold items and throws them instead. It can be interesting if he carries it to another item-based brawler.

Job #129b: Claude Wallace (Valkyria Chronicles 4)

1640762104215.png

Claude is the main protagonist of Valkyria Chronicles 4. and a first lieutenant who is the commander and tanker of Platoon E, the game's main focus. He's a serious yet passionate young man who forces through his military shortcomings by taking his subordinates' burdens.

Fitting to his Scouts class in his game, Claude would be a slow and weak character who needs to get help from a variety of weapons available to his soldiers to win a fight and possibly focus on set-play. Some weapons he can use are grenades, rifles, flamethrowers, and his tank Hagen.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Job 129 1

Estel Aguirre

Estel first appears in Streets of Rage 4 as a boss but became a playable character in the games Mr. X DLC

Estel would be a powerful brawler and uses many techniques she learned in the police force

Job 129 2

Alicia Melchiott

A main character in the first Valkyria Chronicles. Alicia is a scout in her first game meaning she would use weapons and be quite fast.

Spoilers

She would also have valkyria powers

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job 129a: Floyd Iraia (Streets of Rage)
1649179904614.png

After a workplace accident, community leader Floyd Iraia went to Dr. Zan for help in repairing his amputated arms and came back with two fearsome metal prosthetics. Floyd became Dr. Zan's apprentice, and by the time Streets of Rage 4 rolled around was the one who answered Blaze and Axel's call to help clean up the mean streets. We don't really have many true grapplers on this roster, mostly brawlers and martial artists (though Kiryu is a great all-rounder), and Floyd has grapples for days along with electrical power that he can channel through those fierce arms of his. He also represents the latest game in the series which has been by all accounts a smashing success, so he has a lot of fun upsides.

Job 129b: Alicia Melchiott (Valkyria Chronicles)
1649180590573.png

I'm sure I must sound annoying by now, but I had to get her in. Alicia Melchiott is one of the main characters of Valkyria Chronicles, the sergeant of Squad 7, a scout with a rifle, a whole bunch of health, and a desire to live a peaceful life as a baker. She first starts off mistrustful of commander Welkin Gunther, mistaking his love of sketching nature with a coded message to send to the empire, but they get over it and form a mighty militia that works together to protect their homeland of Gallia.

Alicia brings a lot to the table as our other VC rep - as Welkin spends most of the game in a tank called the Edelweiss Alicia is often one of the faces of the game including the anime where she shared screentime with Welks. She could bring the Orders system into the game as a mechanic, where Welkin commands the squad to level up, and she could in general represent VC's hybrid third-person shooter and strategy RPG gameplay, in which players spend Command Points to move players around and have to carefully aim their weapons to maximize damage. Aim and resource management could be very important in her moveset along with terrain and buffs.

Welkin would of course be in her moveset, especially since her All Star move has to be calling the Edelweiss to deliver some serious damage, but that doesn't mean that Alicia doesn't have some major tricks up her sleeve, as (Valkyria Chronicles 1 spoilers) it turns out she has Valkyrur blood, giving her the ability to turn into one of the legendary Valkyrias, which explains why she's so darn resilient.

Also...I just like her! She's fun! She has a really cute design and she and Welks are so sweet and gentle and fun characters and her vibes are impeccable.

EDIT: Okay I know I was beaten but dammit I'm keeping this writeup. She's great.

Last edited:

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
Job 129a: Max Thunder (Streets of Rage)
Max Thunder.png

The grapplin' goliath and very good friend of Axel Stone, we're talking about Pro Wrestling legend, Max Thunder. I don't really know a whole lot about Streets of Rage lore, so maybe someone else is better equipped to talk about him, but he was my main guy for Streets of Rage 2, and I know that he's in the fourth one. He's a vet of the franchise, and a proper pro wrestling powerhouse would be neat. That's really all I have to say.

Job 129b: Minerva Victor (Valkyria Chronicles)
Minerva.png

Minerva is a major playable character in Valkyria Chronicles 4 and the short-tempered superior officer to Claude. She's a later game unlock, but she's playable and she's in the story before you get her in your party. I would consider her to be the anti-Alicia. Instead of being raised by ordinary bakers, she was raised by nobles. Alicia and Welkin are friends, whereas Minerva hates Claude's guts, and she'll tell him this to his face. She has a very strong sense of chivalry, so Claude being who he is just constantly just sets her off. It certainly doesn't help that somehow everyone except her loves this guy. She also has a long-time best friend named Christel who is legit in love with her. Who doesn't make it because VC hates me.

If we aren't going to have Alicia, I really think she would be at the top of my list for VC reps. VC4 has a familiar style with just more options for basically all the classes, so a rep for it that's still a scout, but gets mechanics like Last Stand would be cool.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
This was a tough one. I already took out my two favourites with Kai becoming an assist and including the Lance as an item renders Largo Potter a little redundant.

I considered Raz, Claude's best bud and a highly story central Darcsen whose hotheaded antics leave him entertaining and belief he's invincible actually translate to him getting a huge defence and evasion boost.

I also really considered Aika...I really wanted Aika, but ultimately she's a Skies of Arcadia character not a Valkyria Chronicles one...even if she's the best damn scout in the first game after Alicia Melchiott. Like holy crap. Slow down there Aika.

ANYWAY, enough about Aika (for now), I've decided to go for the Winter Witch, the Valkyrur antagonist from VC4.

Job #182: Crymaria Levin

VC4_Crymaria_Levinc.png

Crymaria is said to be the most powerful Valkyrur around, outclassing Selvaria in sheer brute power. However she's also highly unstable, prone to losing herself to her emotions and impossible to control, and thus the Empire, specifically Prince Maximillian, decided to take Selvaria as his right hand woman and secret weapon instead.

As a result of this, Crymaria suffers from an inferiority complex and bursts of even more desperate emotion, sending her powers out of wack.

Crymaria is, in many ways, the complete foil to Selvaria despite their similar appearance.

Selvaria is coolheaded, loved by her men, seen as a reliable leader and motivated by the love of her beloved Prince Maximillian and her fate to be by his side, whilst Crymaria is passionate, feared or seen as a tool by her allies, seen as a last resort unreliable chaotic wildcard and doesn't believe in love or fate, having become resentful over the years. They do however both wish to be useful to their allies.

This even extends to their classes and powers. Selvaria is a Scout: incredibly fast, accurate, attacks with pinpoint deadliness and Crymaria is a Grenadier; slower area of effect attacker who can shoot long distance highly destructive ice blasts towards her foes with varying levels of accuracy. Crymaria is also one of the few Valkyrur to use a completely different weapon from the traditional lance and shield, instead going for a... mage staff I guess!

Lastly Crymaria also comes with her pet wolf (and a good boi) Fenrir, who is fiercely protective of her, and the only one that Crymaria feels she can confide in. At first anyway.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Oki doki it is Time To Vote

Here are the picks we have:

SoR:

Blaze Fielding ( Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds )
Roo ( YoshiandToad YoshiandToad )
Shiva ( osby osby )
Estel Aguirre ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
Floyd Iraia ( Flyboy Flyboy )
Max Thunder ( PuyoWitch PuyoWitch )

Vote for your top 3 picks - keep your own submission in third place if you're going to self-vote.

Valkyria:

Claude Wallace ( osby osby )
Alicia Melchiott ( Flyboy Flyboy and cashregister9 cashregister9 )
Minerva Victor ( PuyoWitch PuyoWitch )
VYSE 2 BABYYYYYYYYYYY (this isn't a real submission please do not vote for him)
Crymaria Levin ( YoshiandToad YoshiandToad )

Vote for your top 2 picks - keep your own submission in second place if you're going to self-vote.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
1. Blaze
2. Roo
3. Floyd

1. Vyse 2, baby! Alicia
2. Crymaria

(I know very little about Valkyria Chronicles, so I'm mainly going by the descriptions)

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
1. Blaze - No brainer option really she's been in almost as many games as Axel.
2. Floyd - we have two cyborgs as playable characters in the series, Floyd feels weirdly right.
3. Roo - He is a boxing kangaroo. What else do you need?

I'm honestly surprised no one put forth Mr. X.

------------------

1. Alicia Melchiott - cute, charming, unstoppable monsterous force on the battlefield that snaps the game difficulty in two even on the hardest settings, likes bread, not a racist, a face of the series alongside Selvaria, she just makes the most sense.
2. Claude Wallace - Whilst I lean a little more towards Welkin as a commander character, Claude's story was far more involving and nuanced IMO. He's a flawed character but absolutely deserves second place here as VC4 hit me in a very different way to VC1. Plus he's inarguably a good option for showcasing the commands system for the franchise. Also not a racist. Good pick.

osby

Smash Obsessed
  1. Max Thunder
  2. Roo
  3. Estel Aguirre

1. Crymaria Levin
  2. Claude Wallace

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Oki doki it is time - let's look at the results!

Blaze: 25 points
Roo: 11 points
Shiva: 10 points
Estel: 3 points
Floyd: 7 points
Max: 4 points

Alicia: 14 points
Claude: 5 points
Minerva: 3 points
Crymaria: 5 points

As you can see, we have two landslide winners: our next two characters are going to be Blaze and Alicia!!!!

We now only have one character left.......

Moving on:

Job #183: Submit a moveset for Blaze

Job #184: Submit a moveset for Alicia

It's now time to submit movesets for everyone's two favorite not-racist SEGA girls!!!!!

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, one day has passed, so I'll be doing what I did with Temjin: submissions for Blaze/Alicia movesets are still open, but we'll have to move on.

And what's our next job? Wellllllllll

Job #185: Submit SEGA characters to serve as rescuable civillians in the Burning Rangers minigame

This is basically identical to our Crazy Taxi passenger job: you can submit up to two SEGA characters you can rescue in the BR minigame, no voting process, they go right in. Go off

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Job #185: Burning Rangers minigame.

1. Sticks the Badger

Sticks-Sonic-Channel-Art.png

What burns more than Sticks? Probably very little.

Anyway the fire was started by the government as a way of forcing us all to recycl-okay, no, let's be real. The person who probably STARTED the fire was Sticks. She's constantly trying to kill things with it and has her own fire form in Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice.

She'll absolutely plead her innocence as you pick her up though.

2. Prince Ash
Prince Ash.png

To be perfectly honest the Prince of Hell probably doesn't NEED saving from the flames what with being the prince of...well hell...and also having no flesh to be seared, but since you're here anyway you can always drag him kicking and screaming out of it. Just don't expect a thank you.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Job #185: Nanako Dojima (Persona)

CF1A460E-9C03-4475-91B4-99D7EFB07277.png

As the six year old cousin of Yu Narukami, Nanako isn’t as capable of defending herself as the older kids in Persona 4’s cast are. While her “big bro” Yu isn’t around to save her this time, she’s in capable hands with the new Burning Rangers recruits around. Once rescued, she’ll be incredibly thankful, though be prepared to be asked to go to Junes with her once this whole ordeal is over.

Enzo (Bayonetta)

90521322-750D-4319-A7E4-BE6D3DDD961F.png

Being the misfortune magnet that he is, it should come as no surprise that Enzo finds himself the victim of being trapped in a burning building. Compared to the peril he’s faced as the result of his interactions with Bayonetta, this is just another Tuesday for him. He will absolutely complain about it the entire time you’re trying to rescue him, though. You’re expecting a thanks for saving Enzo’s life? FUGGETABOUTIT!

Last edited:
Top Bottom