• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Battle of AGES, a SEGA platform fighter

What's the roster number gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flyboy

Smash Hero
1. Blue Dragon
2. Horatio
3. Jack Cayman

Heck of a lineup. Sorry Kurumi, just missed the cut, but I think Panzer Dragoon needs to be in the game and having a Cool Dragon on the roster would really help it stand out. Horatio is such a clever cut and reminds me of one of my favorite Lupin III villains. And I explained my reasons for Jack when I nominated him... But yes. Panzer Dragoon forever.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
1. Gunstar Heroes
2. Kurumi
3. Blue Dragon

Honestly, this is painful. I want to self vote for Horatio, Jack Cayman is awesome and both Neff and Amigo I want to throw a vote to...

...Realistically Blue Dragon deserves it but the Gunstar Heroes and Princess Kurumi are from two of my favourite Sega titles of all time and I my bias just can't put big Blue above Blue...err...Gunstar Blue that is. And Red too.

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
1. Jack Cayman (I love MadWorld and Anarchy Reigns)
2. Horatio (I have never played an Endless game, but I really like this guy and this write up.)
3. Blue Dragon (Self vote. Big monster.)

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Oki doki, time to end the vote!

Hornet: 3 points
Vectorman: 1 points
Gunstars: 10 points
Kurumi: 9 points
Dragon: 16 points
Raphael: 5 points
Cayman: 12 points
Amigo: 6 points
Horatio: 9 points
Neff: 1 points

And we have a winner: please welcome Blue Dragon to the Battle of AGES roster!!!!!!

We're inching closer and closer to the end of the base game.......

Anyway it is of course time to cover Panzer Dragoon stuff:

Job #176: Submit a moveset for Blue Dragon

wow cool dragon

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
Job #176: Blue Dragon Moveset

I've spent about a fourth of the original post I had just talking about how I would have the character should play, and I've submitted this a few times by now, so I might as well throw my hat in this round for an actual moveset this time. For sakes of ease, I'm going to refer to the character as Blue Dragon or BD, but this whole moveset will apply to all the dragons in-game.

Simply put, Blue Dragon is gonna be one of the game's designated big boys, standing as one of, if not the tallest character in-game. Normally, a character like this would be a grappler in a fighting game, to balance out the fact he's a huge target. However, while BD does have close-up power attacks to defend himself, his actual kit is designed to keep opponents away. Thinking about it, it makes him a lot closer to a Guile, or a zoner-type, or Duck Hunt if you want a Smash example. That said, as we'll be fitting all Panzer Dragoon protagonists under this character, there are moves here from every single Panzer game, although I tried to focus on the rail shooter entries.

Gimmicks: BD has two more major elements to consider outside of his "main attacks", before we get into them. First up, you may notice the big wings on our friends. Yes, these dragons can fly. They can jump away, flap their wings, and then hover around the stage for a few seconds before landing. You can either use this to discourage players from coming after you, use this as a defensive tool while you're using your long-range projectiles, or just use this for a little bit of extra mobility. Just remember you're on a time limit, so don't stay too long.

Secondly, I had mentioned in the post that you would have full 360-degree firing, and you can do it while flying, so you can shoot at opponents below you, above you, in front of you, even behind you without having to turn around. This will mean that you'll be able to throw out projectiles in just about every situation and opponents won't be able to block you off just by standing at a safe spot for them, and you'll be able to do reactionary attacks for more than just your close-range attacks.

Normal attacks: BD uses headbutts, tail swipes. and most importantly he slashes and pokes enemies with that giant horn out in front. It has the close range of a sword, and the force that he swings it makes it a good weapon to keep opponents at bay. In order to make up for their lack of a horn, Lagi and Atolm will be slightly bigger and just swipe at opponents with their faces.

Neutral Special: Gun/Biolaser Lock On

Your rider will be the one taking care of quick shots. When you press the button for your special, this is your usual projectile. You can even rapid-fire numerous projectiles before needing a pause. There is a brief (and I mean brief) charge up before the initial fireball, so you can use that to aim the fireball in any direction, and it holds your place so if you're in the air, you don't stop flying.

That's just if you press it and let go, however. If you choose to hold onto the button, it will be your dragon's turn to do the shooting. Dragons have the ability to shoot laser fireballs from their mouth. He will lock on to nearby opponents. Hold it long enough and you can get a heat-seeking laser on all of your opponents out on the field. Just like with the gun, this holds you in place, but it will not extend how long you can fly, and it leaves you vulnerable.

Up Special: Speed Boost

To get around opponents, save himself from falling, or just use as another attack at close range, BD has a quick and powerful lunge up he can use to charge at enemies. You can actually even use this as a charge attack to ram opponents in Orta. The default of this takes you up, but it can also be angled mid-lunge to aim to the side or down if you want to use it as a sneak attack, or recovery.

Side Special: Circle/Barrel Roll

One thing Panzer Dragoon Saga introduced was the ability to circle around your opponent, which was carried over during boss fights in Orta. In-game, the way it works it would work is that you can move at fixed points around the opponent to look for weak spots before attacking them. In Battle of Ages, this can be used to sidestep opponents or get past them without running into them.

Doing the input again during this move turns this into a barrel roll from Orta. If you're actually playing as Orta, this move will turn her dragon into another one of its forms from the game (Glide Mode), as it's exclusive to that form.

Down Special: Vengeance Orbs

A move from Panzer Dragoon Saga. They are among the most useful Berserks (spells) you can use. When you use this, you will have orbs swarm around your dragon. When attacked, it protects you and fires lasers back at your attacker. In Battle of Ages, you would use this as a parry. It can't be aimed like your normal Biolaser/Gun, but it's long-range and reacts to both projectiles and physical attacks.

All-Star Move: Berserker Rage

Introduced in Zwei, and one of your major Berserks in Saga, this move attacks all opponents on screen. When activated, Blue Dragon spreads out his wings wide, looking to catch opponents. If you're caught, a cutscene plays out where you're lifted into sky and he opens his mouth before firing an endless flurry of lasers that rain down on everyone. You can see the Panzer Dragoon Saga version of this move in action here.

Other notes: Keil and Blue Dragon are the defaults, with other dragons and their riders in the alternates.

Panzer and Keil.jpg

Keil and Blue Dragon (Panzer Dragoon and its remake)

Lagi and Lundi alt.jpg

Lagi and Lundi (Panzer Dragoon Zwei)

Edge and his dragon.jpg

Edge and his dragon (unnamed) (Panzer Dragoon Saga)

Azel and Atolm.jpg

Azel and Atolm (Panzer Dragoon Saga) (not playable, but a major character in the game, and Edge/Azel are the parents of Orta)

Panzer Dragoon Orta.jpg

Orta and her dragon (also unnamed) (Panzer Dragoon Orta)

Black Dragon and Rider.jpg

Unnamed Drone Rider and Black Dragon (Panzer Dragoon and Remake) (also not playable, but the main antagonists of the first game)

Entrance: The dragon flies in and then flaps its wings a few times before landing safely.

Taunts:
1. Dragon's face glows as he charges up his laser
2. The rider points their gun front, back, left, and then right
3. The dragon flaps its wings, causing a gust of wind.

Victory Animations:
Victory music is a quick snippet of the beginning to the first flight music.

1. Close up shot of the Rider before zooming out to show the dragon flapping his wings
2. The dragon lands on a rock and lets out a triumphant roar.
3. The Rider is dismounted and pets their respective dragon.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job 177: Excavation Site #74 (Panzer Dragoon Saga)

1648647085721.png

Excavation Site #74 is one of the opening areas of Panzer Dragoon Saga, a huge mining colony built for the express purpose of finding Azel, an ancient bio-human. Edge enters this site in search of his captain, who has been wounded. It's a mess of rock formations, rickety rigs, old machinery, and desolation. There are also flags flying in the wind that function as platforms.

1648647442166.png

The stage itself would take place on one of the mining platforms, with a large crane to one side and a section of track near the bottom of the screen where minecarts travel and can smack into players if they aren't careful. If Blue Dragon is not being used, there is a small chance Edge and his dragon may fly by in the distance as a fun easter egg.

Last edited:

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
Job 177: Submerged City (Panzer Dragoon)
Submerged City.png
This would have to be up there as one of Sonic's least favorite stages.

Submerged City is based on the sunken ruins in the first stage of the original Panzer Dragoon. This section is huge, and it only gets more detail on it in the remake. I think it would make a great unique and beautiful stage to add. In the distance, you would see more of the ruins, looking similar to how it does here, and in the foreground, everyone would start off on different towers, pillars, and monuments, all of which would be slanted at an angle, and there would be a few rock platforms below if you want to risk falling into the water. There would be towers off to the side you can jump onto, which you can jump onto and make it collapse forward (and possibly onto your opponents). Destructible parts of the stage and plenty of platforms to fight on would be the big gimmick here.

All the enemies from this stage will fly by in the background, like fly stingers, or dracolyth. The most notable of which will be a giant ship, which is the boss of the stage: the Naraka Class Imperial Battleship.
Naraka Class Imperial Battleship.jpg

All of this would just be entirely for aesthetic. They won't attack you. You seem to have your hands full already.

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
Job #178: Dragon Phoenix (Panzer Dragoon Saga)

Dragon Phoenix.PNG

Call this a stretch, but a lot of these games are just one person on a dragon, so most of the options for assists are going to be standard enemies, main antagonists, and miscellaneous NPCs from Orta/Saga. So, I'm nominating a summonable monster instead. Your most powerful move in Panzer Dragoon Saga is a special summon called 'Dragon Phoenix'. As soon as you summon it, a big fiery bird causes explosions to hurt your enemy, and then dive bombs for a big flaming finale. The move would operate about the same in Battle of AGES, except the explosions are telegraphed by a flaming feather hitting the ground first. Get away from this thing ASAP.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Okay so first of all, the Dragon Phoenix will be our Panzer Dragoon assist!!!

Secondly, Submerged City will be our Panzer Dragoon stage!

So now it's time for our last PD job:

Job #179: Submit a tracklist for Submerged City

Keep it to a max of 16 tracks or else cool dragon will break into your house

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job #179: Submerged City Tracklist

Okay, I just want to say this was TOUGH because every one of these games have absolutely beautiful soundtracks. With that said...

1. Flight (Panzer Dragoon)
2. Main Theme (New Remix) (Panzer Dragoon)
3. Sudden Change (Panzer Dragoon)
4. Empire (Panzer Dragoon)
5. Raid (Panzer Dragoon)
6. The Great Ravine (Panzer Dragoon Zwei)
7. Empire's Carrier/Hanuman Medley (Panzer Dragoon Zwei)
8. Ruins (Panzer Dragoon Zwei)
9. The Unexpected Enemy (Panzer Dragoon Zwei)
10. Pure Blood Seed (Panzer Dragoon Saga)
11. Atolm Dragon (Panzer Dragoon Saga)
12. Ancient Weapon (Panzer Dragoon Saga)
13. City In The Storm (Panzer Dragoon Orta)
14. The Fallen Ground (Panzer Dragoon Orta)
15. Anu Orta Veniya (Panzer Dragoon Orta)
16. A Tale of Men and Dragons (7th Dragon III: Code VFD)

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Oki doki, I think enough time has passed: Fly's tracklist is winning by default!!!

And that's that for Panzer. However, Battle of AGES threadgoers, I have made an important decision I must bring your attention to. We've made a terrible mistake. This was our last true major new series addition to the base game. After this we only have an additional rep and a slot for a left-field pick. And yet, we've missed out on possibly the most obvious addition to our roster yet. The biggest icon in SEGA's history. More iconic than Sonic, I dare say. So, for the first and only time in the history of this thread, I'm automatically putting a character in without any sort of process, cause this is truly someone who needs to be in.

Please welcome the newest member of the Battle of AGES roster: Fred Durst of Limp Bizkit fame!!!!!!!!!

Indeed, you may recall how this absolute icon of both the music and SEGA worlds has stated that he beat your ass in PSO. And now he'll be beating your ass in this game too.

Starting with our first job:

Job #180: Submit a moveset for Fred Durst

Yes, it is indeed time to cover both Fred himself and all the Limp Bizkit content that'll come with him! He has absolutely unlimited moveset potential, so there are truly many ways you can go with this. Have fun!!!!!

I don't have anything for Fred Durst, but I have a Joke capsule:

- Limp Bizkit
Series: Limp bikini
System Debut: They exist, right?
First Appearance: Limp Bizkit (I dunno)

Description: Who is that?
Limp Bizkit. People, who rap and rock. Nuff said.

(If April fools day is gone, I'm going to remove it)

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
fellas i am sorry to say it was a josh. there is no fred durst. here is our real job:

Job #180: Submit a codec/Palutena's Guidance equivalent

I talked about doing this a while ago, and It Is Now Time. So what wacky special conversations will we be able to unlock in this game?

As you can tell, this is meant to basically be our own Codec conversations. One of our characters will be able to activate a secret conversation in a certain stage, where they and their gang will discuss whatever character they're fighting. So make sure to include which character it is, which stage they activate it on, and which characters are involved in the convo. If you want to, you can also include some examples of what they might discuss about certain characters, or even some special guests that might show up in certain convos, ala Slippy in the Fox codec I think it was? or Alucard in the Richter Guidance

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Job #180:

Fred Durst

Fred Durst is a surprisingly newcomer friendly character to play. Many of his specials are focused around the momentum he can build up, making him have great range both on the stage and vocally as he belts out bangers and bangs opponents about. Possibly with a belt.

Neutral Special: Breathe in/Breathe out
Fred Durst will inhale and exhale depending on which button was last pressed. Breathing in will cause him to drag opponents towards him with a deep inhale, whilst breathing out will push them away.

Up Special: Hands up
Fred Durst throws his hands up with such righteous fury that he carries himself upwards, much like Thor with his hammer pulling him forward.

Down Special: Hands down
Fred slams his hands down with such ferocity that he will cause himself to shoot down. Works like a Yoshi bomb, but can also spike with good timing, or bury opponents if used on the stage.

Side Special: Back up (Back up)
Fred throws himself backwards. Twice. Good for recovery, but also the sheer distance he travels with his double back up is useful for getting across the stage. Also acts as a bodycheck to anyone who gets caught in a back up. The downside of this move is Fred MUST perform two back ups in a row, which can make opponents who avoid his initial one read the distance to punish him when he finishes his second Back up.

All-Star Move: Tell me what you're gonna do now
Fred grabs the mic and asks his opponent what they're going to do now, before dropping the mic, and spindashing forwards like he's Sonic the Hedgehog, in a gigantic ball. He can continue to roll upto 16 times during this All-Star move, making it a surprisingly lengthy one.

Edit: I cannot believe this betrayal Speedy.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Job #180:

Fred Durst

Fred Durst is a surprisingly newcomer friendly character to play. Many of his specials are focused around the momentum he can build up, making him have great range both on the stage and vocally as he belts out bangers and bangs opponents about. Possibly with a belt.

Neutral Special: Breathe in/Breathe out
Fred Durst will inhale and exhale depending on which button was last pressed. Breathing in will cause him to drag opponents towards him with a deep inhale, whilst breathing out will push them away.

Up Special: Hands up
Fred Durst throws his hands up with such righteous fury that he carries himself upwards, much like Thor with his hammer pulling him forward.

Down Special: Hands down
Fred slams his hands down with such ferocity that he will cause himself to shoot down. Works like a Yoshi bomb, but can also spike with good timing, or bury opponents if used on the stage.

Side Special: Back up (Back up)
Fred throws himself backwards. Twice. Good for recovery, but also the sheer distance he travels with his double back up is useful for getting across the stage. Also acts as a bodycheck to anyone who gets caught in a back up. The downside of this move is Fred MUST perform two back ups in a row, which can make opponents who avoid his initial one read the distance to punish him when he finishes his second Back up.

All-Star Move: Tell me what you're gonna do now
Fred grabs the mic and asks his opponent what they're going to do now, before dropping the mic, and spindashing forwards like he's Sonic the Hedgehog, in a gigantic ball. He can continue to roll upto 16 times during this All-Star move, making it a surprisingly lengthy one.
oh my god you madlad you did it

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
Job #180 (True End): Party Chat (Ichiban Kasuga)

There are a few others who would fit this job, but this was the first thing to come to mind when we first talked about the idea. So, while walking around Ijincho in Yakuza: Like a Dragon, there is a chance you can get support conversations when you're at a certain place in the town, similar to the Tales games. Ichiban and his party's dynamic are honestly just hilarious. Plus, given that Ichiban is a gamer who regularly frequents SEGA arcades, I have zero doubts Ichiban would know exactly who all of these characters are, and would excitedly tell his teammates all about them. I'm imagining you would just need to do a taunt at the Millenium tower stage to trigger it.

I would strongly recommend you check out this playlist of conversations to get the feel of the party conversations. There are pretty big spoilers in some of them, but they really are just a collection of dumb and sometimes heartwarming skits.

Here's an early (non-spoiler) one as well.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Job #180: Palutena's equivalent

SEGA HARD GIRLS

Sega-Hard-Girls.png

The official anthromorphisised game console gijinkas are here!

Whilst the main trio here (Saturn, Mega Drive and Dreamcast) would likely do the majority of the talking, other consoles such as Master System, Game Gear, Mega CD and SG-1000 can appear to talk about the characters that appeared on their consoles. Characters introduced AFTER Dreamcast's time in the sun was over will be handled by the most appropriate SEHA girl for a particular job.

I know Dreamcast has been put forward a few times as a fighter option, but I don't feel like a Palutena-esque role here would put her out the running for DLC fighter options...after all Palutena is a fighter and a codec!

But wait; if Dreamcast isn't a fighter...how do we activate the Codec?

YOU FOOL. THIS WAS A TRAP.

EVERYONE can perform the Codec.
EVERYONE.

See, rather than...say my boy Alex Kidd, interacting with the Master System or Sega Mark III when performing the call move, the girls will pop up and pick one of the fighters on stage to talk about.

The codecs are purposely done so if there's four players, pressing it four times will reveal the codec of every fighter. Whilst one codec is playing, a player can input the command again, which will queue the next one up to start after the currently played one finishes. Is this a little tedious? Yes. Could it be used to spam the girls commentary? Possibly. But heck it, why limit to just a single individual when everyone can enjoy summoning these announcements?

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Job #180: Futaba’s Navigation

80BFB864-C3DE-4FEF-B387-6D3274AF94F0.png

As the resident navigator, strategist, and video game nerd of the Phantom Thieves, Futaba is more than well equipped to gift Joker with her encyclopedic knowledge on the Battle of AGES cast and their weaknesses. When taunting as Joker on the Casino of Envy stage, Futaba and the rest of the Phantom Thieves will show up and discuss the fighters backgrounds, fighting styles, and the best way to counter them. All while throwing in some banter between trammates to keep things entertaining. You might even see some fun cameos here in there, such as Tails or Dr. Eggman hacking into Futaba’s signal for their navigations, or Fuuka and Mitsuru showing up for Aigis’. Really the main reason I’m throwing Futaba out there is because she just feels right in this role. Her main role in the team is pointing out enemy weaknesses, and of course she would know everything there is about these Sega characters as a hashtag gamer girl.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Allllllright, I think enough time has passed: it's time to vote!

Here are our candidates:

Party Chat ( PuyoWitch PuyoWitch )
SEGA Hard Girls ( YoshiandToad YoshiandToad )
Futaba's Navigation ( OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos )

Here's the poll:

And for the sake of having something else going on, we are indeed starting up our next character job! I mentioned how we were about to do our final additional rep, but this time, there's a twist to the whole thing:

Job #181: Submit a series from our current playable roster to give a second rep

Eeeeeeeeyup! We're taking the formula from the two series jobs we did and applying it to additional reps!

Because here's the thing: we now have a humongous amount of potential second reps to consider. I feel like at this point, even allowing 2 submissions per user won't be enough - I personally like doing these sorts of thorough explorations when it comes to additional reps, and the backlog of potential candidates has gotten too large for us to really be able to do that, I feel. So this time, we're deciding on which series to give a second rep first, and then submitting potential second characters for said series! This way, we can really take our time to figure out what would be the right move instead of just running on whatever happens to have been submitted.

So first things first, this is meant for series that currently only have one character on our roster. So Sonic, Virtua Fighter, Yakuza and Persona are all ineligible. Taking these out of the running, the series that are available for yall to submit include:

-Alex Kidd
-Sakura Wars
-Space Channel 5
-Fantasy Zone
-Streets of Rage
-Skies of Arcadia
-NiGHTS
-Bayonetta
-Phantasy Star
-Puyo Puyo
-Shin Megami Tensei (or really just non-Persona Megaten in general)
-Valkyria Chronicles
-Super Monkey Ball
-The House of the Dead
-Shenmue
-Jet Set Radio
-Wonder Boy
-Shining
-Golden Axe
-Shinobi
-Virtual-ON
-Panzer Dragoon

So yeah. A lot. See why I switched it up this time?

Now then, it's likely this won't be our permanent way of doing things from here on out. We'll probably do it again at some point, but we'll probably also come back to the original method at some point. For now, let's do things a little differently. Have fun!

Streets of Rage

Streets of Rage, aka Burning Knuckle in Japan is a beat'em up game series developed and released by SEGA. It's about Axel Stone, who was a former police officer and he goes through the Wood Oak city by beating up bad guys that stand on his way and defeat his evil archnemesis, Mr. X (A Gang leader).

The series got 4 games overall and it was one of popular Beat'em up series alongside Double Dragon and Battletoads. Heck, SoR is even one of SEGA's best classics that exist to today's times.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Blaze Fielding (Streets of Rage)

Blaze Fielding is a one of supporting characters from Streets of Rage series and she is former police officer of Wood Oak city.
She is a Caucasian woman with long brown hair and she wears black jacket along with red dress and red boots (As it was shown in the games).

She would have interesting moveset potential in terms of Fighting and her fighting moves would fit in Sega Platform Fighter without any problems.
She would be middleweight rushdown character with no abilities to air Dash.

I nominate Blaze, because she is one of well-known SoR side characters and she deserves a spot for BoA roster.
Also, having another Beat'em up character in roster would be fun for people, who like to play Beat'em Ups, especially the Streets of Rage games.
We're not submitting characters right now. We're submitting series to get a character.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job 181: Valkyria Chronicles

Look, I'll be honest: I don't dislike that Selvaria is in our roster, but I do think that because of my impatience and desire to get Valkyria on the roster I submitted her way too early. Selvaria as the only rep for this series absolutely does not sit right for me and is one of my few regrets in the project. I will stump hard for Alicia if this gets selected as she is without a doubt the best main rep in my mind, as a great story-relevant character who is extremely fun and charming with a great kit, but she's not the only possible rep, as Valkyria Chronicles 4 has an entire new cast, plus 1 has plenty of fan favorite characters to choose from as well. Valkyria is a great modern Sega series as well with fans and relevance and I just think it's neat and I think the characters are neat too.

I just think representation is incomplete and feels wrong right now and maybe it's just a personal pain point but I want to give Valkyria another shot.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

phantasy_star_classic_characters_wallpaper_by_jmarvelhero_ddgh9eh-fullview.jpg

jbareham_200721_1032_pstar_0001.jpg

Phantasy Star

This series is one of Sega's most long running series. Nei is a great character that I'm happy got in but there are so many others we could add too. I'd really like to get someone from PSO on here but I wouldn't say no to another classic character or a character from a side game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Bayonetta

As an action series with a bunch of playable characters, there are a lot of options for a second character when it comes to the Bayonetta games. Jeanne, Rodin, Balder, Rosa, Loptr or Alraune if you consider human-sized bosses - even Little King Zero could work. Admittedly, some of these seem more plausible than others (I'm just throwing out whatever suggestions come to mind), but I'll take whatever chance I can get to include more Platinum content in this.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Job #181: Shining

I know, I know, we just did a vote on Shining characters not that long ago, buuuuuuuuut also I think it would just be really neat to revisit the series again at some point. It was really fun learning about Shining’s fun and colorful casts of characters and even if it doesn’t win out here, I think a modern Shining rep is something worth looking into for DLC.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Egads! My hopes for Egle have been dashed!

As disappointing as it is to admit, Alex Kidd likely doesn't have enough well known options to warrant being voted for here:
  • Egle: Alex's twin brother who eventually becomes king of Radaxian and the star of his own game prior to the Alex Kidd series truly beginning.
    The mechanics of Pit Pot are so vastly different from Alex Kidd, I feel he'd be a pretty unique and fun choice. He also comes with some delightful historical relevance as one of Alex Kidd and Phantasy Star creator, Kotaro Hayashida's earliest and humble beginnings.
  • Stella: An early example of a female video game character, Stella is probably the Alex Kidd character best known after Alex and Janken's officers. She also appeared as the only other Alex Kidd character in the World's Unite Archie crossover with Sonic and Megaman.
  • Gooseka, Chokkina and Parpalin: The famous Rock-Paper-Scissor headed characters everyone remembers from Miracle World. Each of them actually has some unique abilities, but having one over the other two might seem a bit weird.
  • Ashra: The six armed final boss of Enchanted Castle whom I've submitted a few times. Likely a good grappler, but isn't as well known as the above. Six arms though. Pretty neat.
  • Ziggurat: A giant flaming star monster who wants to shine the brightest and is entirely fueled by envy of other stars. Never truly fought by Alex and Stella but was the main antagonist of Lost Stars.
  • Hanzo: The evil ninja who kidnaps Alex Kidd's Girlfriend in Shinobi World. A malovant soul who was banished 10,000 years ago by the good White Ninja.
And of course Janken's out due to being an assist. Whilst that seems like a lot of options, a lot of this cast are largely unimportant overall.

Why did I write all this out if Alex Kidd isn't my suggestion? Simple. I never give up an opportunity to wax on about Alex Kidd.

----------------------------------

There's a few characters I'd like to see but doing it like this makes me tweak my thoughts on it slightly...Skies of Arcadia for example has Aika as the obvious frontrunner, Streets of Rage is really just a toss up between Blaze and Mr. X(although other options are available, I can only see one of those two winning)...

How about...

Shenmue-the-Animation-smaller.png

Yes, we have all manner of options here.

• The obvious antagonist pick of the fearsome Lan Di allowing Shenmue players to finally have their confrontation before they die of old age.
  • The popular greedy and free spirited thief that helps Ryo out in the name of pursuing treasure, Wuying Ren
  • The stern and disciplined Guizhang Chen who helped Ryo out immensely in the first game
  • The mystical Shenhua Ling who whilst she isn't a combatant normally still managed to effectively torture the hulking brute Yanlang and scared the hell out of him enough that he's willing to do anything to avoid being on the recieving end again.
  • The Tai Chi Master Xiuying Hong who balances beauty and power and was a huge help to Ryo in the second game.
  • The Great Chai, probably the most memorable fight of the first game, is one of Lan Di's followers who constantly attacks Ryo throughout the series.
  • Ryo's father's apprentice Fuku-San who not only helps out Ryo immensely in the first game but also helps Ryo train
  • Comically, the adorable Nozomi Harasaki who I've previously submitted as an assist has an easter egg where she fights alongside Ryo despite not being a martial artist...and she does pretty good!
  • The freespirited biker girl Joy who again whilst not a combatant as such, has her own set of street smarts she could bring to the table.
  • Lan Di's fellow Chi You Men high ranker, the beautiful but backstabby Niao Sun.
  • The hulking brute that is Dou Niu, the final antagonist of Shenmue II and Ren's constant rival.
  • Shenhua's close friend, Ryo's training partner and one of only a handful of characters to be playable in the main Shenmue titles, Zhen Wei.
  • And of course, everyone's favourite, Mario Grianni, who will teach you Italian and serve you a slice...of pane! Pane being italian for bread. He's going to serve you some garlic bread. That wasn't a typo.
Alas, Tom Johnson is an assist. But the point remains, we have many many options...and we have many more too...Shenmue has loads and loads of characters.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #181: Super Monkey Ball

1648998505351.png

While the characters' playstyles in Super Monkey Ball might be a bit homogenized, their personalities is anything but such! You have the cooky Doctor, motherly MeeMee, competitive GonGon, cheerful Baby and tomboyish YanYan, along with the bad guy Dr. Bad-Boon and even some side characters.

It is likely that they'll share some moves with AiAi but his moveset relies on his marble little enough that their unique talents can shine, e.g. MeeMee's hammer or Baby's future tech. I think Super Monkey Ball is big enough to warrant a second character and we can always use more monkeys in our roster (or lemurs, in the case of YanYan).

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Eh, what the hell, I might as well

Job #181: Puyo Puyo

So I'll be honest, I don't like how often Puyo is treated as one of The Only SEGA Franchises That Matter. But it is really big and important! And honestly? It has one hell of a cast. Tons of super fun characters that can easily be differentiated from Arle. I like that we're giving other important series a chance to shine here, but I also feel that we might be somewhat underrating the idea of a second Puyo rep. I'd probably save one for DLC just so that our trio of series with two reps isn't just The Non-Sonic SEGA Series That Joe Public Has Accepted As Being Important, but I do think we should do it at some point

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
Job #181: The House of the Dead

I really love the fact we added Rikiya, but I do think we can stand to add either a character from the main HotD series or some weird zombie villain as a bonus. It's a franchise that I've seen in just about every arcade I've ever been to, and of all arcade franchises SEGA has, it feels like it's the one they're the most attached to. They're literally releasing a remake of the first game in a few days.

House of the Dead is also just such a fun, camp franchise, and there are plenty of choices you have for nominations. G would probably be the big pick for a protagonist, but there's James Taylor, Gary Stewart, Thomas and Lisa Rogan, etc. That's just if you want a protagonist. You can make some really creative movesets out of a boss like the Magician, or heck, just put a regular zombie there. They can be our slowest and worst character. You could even put in Stick and Linda from Zombie's Revenge, or All Stars Racing legends, Zobio & Zobiko.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Job #181: Jet Set Radio.

With many of the objectively good and actually logical picks out of the way, it falls to me to convince you that an ass-old series that's been dead since 2002 deserves a second rep in this celebration of SEGA's long and illustrious history. However, it'd be my absolute pleasure to do so, or at least try.

Let's start with characters. I presume the common thought would be, "But KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 , you fine and distinguished connoisseur of curated and correct opinions, everyone in Jet Set Radio plays identically!" I counter you, my fine strawman, with the suggestions of a few characters below.

DJ Professor K: Despite his only playable role as of now being in the GBA "port" of the original Jet Set Radio, the esteemed King of the airwaves would be a pretty solid addition if you were to be really inventive with him on a conceptual level. Considering that Beat already fills the role of "skating street punk," the disc jockey supreme could have a very interesting and unique moveset based around his use of music!

Captain Onishima/Hayashi: Acting as a great villainous representative without too many spoilers in either case, both of them would essentially fill out the archetype of "police officer" in some way. I like to imagine that they could even potentially utilise some of their unique quirks - Hayashi, for example, having access to the large spider-like mech seen in the unfinished Rokkaku Expo Stadium would be hilarious. Whilst I admittedly know a lot more about Hayashi than Onishima, either of them would be very fun to see and unique in their own right. I only group them here because of their similar basic archetype. Let's just make sure they get some breakfast before arriving!

Literally Zero Beat: Literally Zero Beat. need i say more

Poison Jam: There's a small part of me that thinks this would be a hilarious and yet weirdly fitting addition. Like, these huge lumbering guys dressed as monsters feel like such an off-kilter and yet funny pick that they'd be neat to see. They'd probably be better as Assists, but hey - it's an idea!

Gum, or really any of the other GGs: Who's to say we couldn't give the other members of the GG's their own unique vibe? With characters like Gum and Mew, they'd likely lean into a much lighter, faster nature - whereas someone like Combo could easily use his boombox as a disjointed hitbox. Even so, I would have to suggest that Pots the fricking dog on skates would be the objectively best conceivable addition to this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And what about additional content? Well, let's take the opportunity to look at that and see what we could pull off here.

When it comes to Stages, Jet Set Radio is chock-full of unique and unusual locations we could put to use here. Whilst we already have the neon lights of 99th Street in the game, who's to say we couldn't add a stage like the GG's Garage, having tons of characters featuring in the background - or perhaps going a little crazier with stages like the bright city streets of Shibuya Terminal, the industrial hellscape of Kibogaoka Hill, the riveting rollercoasters perched between the concrete jungle of the Skyscraper District, or even the mysterious cult-like shrine built into the tunnels deep inside the Tokyo Underground Sewage Facility? The possibilities are endless!

In terms of Assists, the main thing that comes to mind for me are the wide variety of different gangs that exist in the world of Tokyo-To. What springs to mind for me straight away are the members of Poison Jam, as well as the Noise Tanks! Even so, we could easily play with a ton of other concepts.

Music? Jet Set Radio is brimming with music. Seeing a few more tracks added wouldn't be so bad!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So yeah. Whilst JSR might not have as much history with SEGA as other series, it's still a beloved series with a ton of potential - and one that shouldn't be counted out! The unique vibe and nature of this series as a whole makes it a really fitting and fun addition to a game like this, and as much as I hate to use this argument... JSR did get two characters in Transformed sooo~

DJ Professor K: Despite his only playable role as of now being in the GBA "port" of the original Jet Set Radio, the esteemed King of the airwaves would be a pretty solid addition if you were to be really inventive with him on a conceptual level. Considering that Beat already fills the role of "skating street punk," the disc jockey supreme could have a very interesting and unique moveset based around his use of music!
[QUOTE/]
Umm, sorry to tell buddy, but DJ Professor K is already an NPC character.
He is a sound test character.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Job #147: Secondary Rep Series - Virtual-ON

Sure, we just got Temjin two character jobs ago, but Virtual-ON's legacy/importance and how it paved the way to "arena fighters" is nothing to scoff at (much like how Virtua Fighter inspired 3D fighters like Tekken and Dead or Alive), all thanks to it's character designs, those sequels, merchandise like novels that bring out more interesting lore than you'll expect from gameplay alone and appearances outside the series in other SEGA games & even Super Robot Wars. There's also a very wide variety of other Virtuaroid mechas besides Temjin, who would work as fighters to accompany him, such as:
  • Fei-Yen - Fellow poster mech/mascot, who wields a beam rapier/bowgun-combo weapon and is very agile/fast, despite having weak armor/defense. She can also shoot Heart Beams to stun anyone hit by those heart-shaped projectiles. When her health drops below 50% or severely damaged, Fei-Yen will glow golden and enter the "Hyper Mode" state, gaining increased speed and attack damage (much like Terry's Desperation Move gimmick in execution, but only buffs her stats). Maybe her All-Star Move would involve her fellow "sister units", Angelan and Guarayakha, also designed after the "magical girl" trope and created by L'ln Plajiner?
  • Apharmd - I know that his "Hatter" variant is an assist, but we're talking about his more well-known self who is probably a different character canon-wise. A soldier-based Virtuaroid, who is mainly suited for mid-to-close range combat, being equipped with modified dual tonfas called "Tongfers", which he can use to create gusts of wind and a close-range beam shotgun to blast opponents. Like Temjin, Apharmd is also armed with Power Bombs, which may sound like a ideal semi-clone pick.
  • Raiden - A powerful and heavily-armored (allowing him to dish out lots of damage), yet slow Virtuaroid, who has plasma cannons hidden within his shoulders that fire huge laser blasts, a bazooka and can sacrifice his armor for a massive speed boost, as seen in Oratorio Tangram.
  • Viper II/Cypher - One of the fastest Virtuaroids (with poor defense like Fei-Yen), Viper II/Cypher can shoot homing beams from the launcher on its chest, use its 7-way spread missile arm cannon as a laser blade and has the ability to transform into a fighter jet to ram into enemies.
  • Specineff - A cursed, skeletal-like assassination Virtuaroid, who is quick and weak in speed/defense respectively, even wielding claws, a gigantic beam scythe/rifle (used for homing ghostly fireballs and scythe shockwaves), shuriken-shaped wings that he can throw at enemies and possesses a unique ability of disabling weapons. He can also make himself completely invincible for a short period of time when his damage is getting low by using his Death Mode (though in Virtual-ON, it lasts only for 13 seconds before immediately dying himself unless he defeats an opponent).
    • Would sound like a cool villain fighter, which I think we may lack a bit with only two of them, Doctor Eggman and Selvaria Bles themselves. And even the closest character we'll have for Ridley or even Castlevania's Death/Grim Reaper himself, both by size, alignment and personification. Trust me on that, guys. 😉
  • Angelan - A blue sorceress-like Virtuaroid, who uses her staff to control the element of ice, able to attack by shooting freezing beams, generating barriers and summoning floating ice pillars or giant dragons. Like her predecessor Fei-Yen, she has low defense and a comeback mechanic, which will grow angelic wings on her back that makes her more powerful and gives the ability to fly for a short period of time. She pretty much acts as a counterpart to Specineff's death-based motif.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Oki dokiiiiiii

First off, the results are in: the SEGA Hard Girls will be responsible for our Codec equivalent!!!!!

Also voting will begin lets go

Streets of Rage ( Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds )
Valkyria Chronicles ( Flyboy Flyboy )
Phantasy Star (@Darkonedagger)
Bayonetta ( Megadoomer Megadoomer )
Shining ( OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos )
Sakura Wars ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
Shenmue ( YoshiandToad YoshiandToad )
Super Monkey Ball ( osby osby )
Puyo Puyo (A wonderful guy)
The House of the Dead ( PuyoWitch PuyoWitch )
Jet Set Radio ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
Virtual-ON ( tonygameman tonygameman )

Vote for your top 4 picks - keep your own submission in fourth place if you're going to self-vote.

Top Bottom