• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Battle of AGES, a SEGA platform fighter

What's the roster number gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
Job #169: Blue Dragon (Panzer Dragoon)

BLUE EYES! WHITE DRAGON! CAN'T LOSE!

So just to make a little bit more of a case, since I've submitted this a few times by now, and not really had much to add on before: I'm going to be biased as both a Saturn lover and a fan of the franchise, but I feel like as a flagship franchise of SEGA in the 90's, not having this franchise feels like an omission. Nowadays, I'll admit the series is more like what the Mother games are, where they're incredible self contained experiences, and we're probably not going to get a new entry. SEGA really believed in the franchise enough to give it four games, attempt to have the first one as a launch title for the Saturn, and one of them is an RPG that spawned Skies of Arcadia, and by degrees of seperation, Valkyria Chronicles.

This series really has cool lore, settings and music to pull from, too. For the record, I wouldn't mind submitting more than the Dragon if we want a human rep, but I'm saying Blue Dragon because they're technically who we control, and fudging the size lets us have a really cool powerhouse character.
Job #120: Type 01 a.k.a. Blue Dragon (Panzer Dragoon)

The blue dragon is the mascot of the Panzer Dragoon franchise, and a type of dragon that is featured in all seven games in the series (including the remake, the Japanese exclusive Panzer Dragoon Mini, and the Tiger Electronic R-Zone game, which is a real thing). The story differs from game to game, but the general idea is that these dragons have cyborg elements to them that affect their brain and body that give them protection, allowing them to breathe lasers. With the help of a rider, the consistent goal in all games is to destroy a 'tower' built by an ancient civilization that was created as life support for their planet but will kill anything it deems a threat to the planet.

While the franchise is currently not being published by SEGA, it is a SEGA franchise through and through. The original trilogy of games were all published by SEGA, and it was considered one of the greatest cult franchises to come from the Saturn alongside NiGHTS: Journey into Dreams and Sakura Wars, and SEGA came back to publish Panzer Dragoon Orta on the Xbox, a release that was one of SEGA's first string of titles on the Xbox after leaving the console business, alongside GunValkyrie and Jet Set Radio Future. Although the series has had several commercial failures in America, it has received nothing but praise, and SEGA knows there is a fanbase. It has gotten an anime OVA/Movie commissioned by SEGA by the same people who did the famous Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie OVAs to coincide with the release of Panzer Dragoon Zwei, plus cameos in the form of a stage in Sonic and All-Stars: Racing Transformed, and an extended guest role in the Sonic & Mega Man Crossover comic, World's Unite.

Only two of these dragons is properly named (Lagi from Panzer Dragoon Zwei and Atolm, who is one of the dragons in Saga), but all dragons do share a very similar look with usually small changes. My idea is not to just feature the dragon from the first game, but all dragons from the main series, with their respective riders on a cut-down to size version of them.

From left to right, you have Azel and Edge, respectively, from Saga, who each have their own dragons in that game, Orta from Orta, who has an older version of Edge's dragon, Lundi from Zwei, who was the very first dragon rider and raised a dragon from birth, and Keil from the original, a hunter who takes a dragon from his previous rider, in that rider's dying request.

They will be necessary as on top of the dragon's abilities, they assist in helping shoot down smaller enemies with a gun from time to time. For this character, I'm imagining one focused around the idea of having 180-degree firing capability at all times, and 360-degree firing while in the air, meant to reference the game's gimmick of different angles to shoot from. Recovery and long-range attacks will be the character's big appeal. In addition, Saga and Orta both incorporated a few extra moves you can add: the ability to morph into other forms mid-battle for things like agility or extra armor, and the ability to cycle around the opponent for an advantage.

Not only would it be a perfect pick to represent a well-loved cult franchise, and the definitive character to represent Panzer Dragoon, I feel, but I just think there's so much potential in a moveset. You get a big powerful dragon that can knock things down, AND a zoner-type character.

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Job #169: Fighter from a New Series - Temjin (Virtual-ON)

"GET READY!" (cue "In the Blue Sky")

Temjin is one of the playable and most reoccuring mechs in the action shooter/3D fighting game-hybrid video game series Virtual-ON, which was developed by SEGA AM3's team led by Juro Watari and designed by the legendary Gundam character artist, Hajime Katoki. It was first released for arcades in 1995 with Cyber Troopers Virtual-ON, which features large fighting mecha robots called Virtuaroids/VRs who are armed with weaponry and controlled by players in fast-paced battles against enemy Virtuaroids with their twin-stick controller, in which two joysticks are complemented by an array of controls (which were later developed and released specifically to be used with it's SEGA Saturn port in 1996). It's success achieved three mainline sequels: Oratorio Tangram (1998), Force (2001) and Marz (2003), alongside a crossover game in 2018, A Certain Magical Virtual-ON with Dengeki Bunko's light novel series, A Certain Magical Index, and a recent PlayStation 4-exclusive collection of the trilogy, "Cyber Troopers Virtual-ON Masterpiece: 1995-2001", which was released in Japan the following year (2019).

Thanks to the original games being big hits on arcades and them revolutionising the use of the twin-stick control system (as it's highly unique control scheme was used like industrial machinery, with promotional lore claiming that the arcade machine is actually a remote operation device sent from the future in search of "Virtual-ON Positive" pilots) at a time, the series has quite a cult following, and many related merchandise like plastic models, figurines, light novels & audio drama CDs. And finally, SEGA seems to like referencing it all the time, most shining examples being:
  • The original game can be found and played at Club SEGA arcades in Yakuza Kiwami 2 .
  • Recognizable mechs like Temjin himself and Fei-Yen appeared as playable guest characters in Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 and Senko no Ronde 2.
  • An unspecified Virtual-ON character was planned for Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed, even with a finished model, but was unfortunately scrapped due to apparent ownership issues. (very sad moment)
    • Imagine how that would've been like, with either:
      • Cypher from Oratorio Tangram, as he can transform into a fighter jet.
      • Temjin himself who floats on the ground like Opa-Opa, complete with his All-Star Move being that surfboard move I'll explain below and a remix of his iconic theme, "In the Blue Sky".
      • Bal-Bados would also work, thanks to his unorthodox size and "ejectable remote limb system".
  • During SEGA's 60th anniversary, their pfp thing had like a bajillion Virtual-ON icons and even their big music albums has some songs/tracks (trust me, there's a big list of awesome ones and a vocal track by our good ol' Takenobu Mitsuyoshi).
As the mascot/face of Virtual-ON, Temjin's pretty much the poster bot. Since Virtuaroids are quite huge, it would be reasonable to scale him down, but still have him as slightly taller than most fighters, like how Ridley was handled for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate after he was originally left behind as a boss in Brawl, because of his size.

For his playstyle, Temjin works as a fast-paced heavyweight fighter, who can hold his own from a distance and easily sidestep attacks & counter them with his own thanks to rockets across his body, which even allows him to dash (maybe 8-way air dashes?) or fly in the air for a short period of time. His main weapon of choice, the M.P.B.L. (Multi Purpose Beam Launcher; arguably the coolest weapon a mecha can have), is a laser blade that can be used for melee attacks and create mid-ranged energy shockwaves by simply slashing it. It can also transform into a long-ranged energy rifle that allows Temjin to shoot weak laser beam projectiles at opponents or be used as a gigantic "surfboard" to float in the air as he dashes forward to collide into opponents for a powerful jousting attack. Lastly, he also has access to large Power Bombs, which he can fire from his left wrist's grenade launcher and could be used for stage control in theory, besides blowing up opponents, obviously.

Much like Min Min (more of) and Mega Man's Final Smashes, Temjin's All-Star Move may involve him using a more stronger version of Gliding Ram (heck, it was supposed to be his "special" move in the series) to rush through opponents. If he hits anyone on his way, other Virtuaroids such as Fei-Yen, Apharmd, Viper II, Dorkas and Raiden will join together to attack opponents by bombarding them with their own weapons before Temjin finishes with a powerful laser beam from his M.P.B.L., all of this done in a similar epic cinematic style like those battles in the Gundam franchise.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job #169: Zheng Jiang (Total War)
1647624064072.png

Zheng Jiang is a faction leader in Total War: Three Kingdoms, the twelfth Total War game and apparently a franchise best-seller. It is based on the records of the Three Kingdoms and the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, leaning into ancient Chinese history. Zheng Jiang is something of an original character for the game, as she is based on conflicting records of two bandit leaders named Lady Zheng and Lady Jiang, though other records say they're a single person...Anyway, her portrayal in this game is that of a clan leader with a bandit camp in the mountains, and her faction looks to aggressively overthrow the dynasties and empires that care not for the common people. She is unrefined and not-at-all noble, with her only goal being to watch the Han Dynasty fall, and that makes her a dangerous force in this war.

Zheng Jiang would fight aggressively and roguishly, as the Bandit Queen comes armed with two axes called the Red Sisters and the ability to deal poison damage. She would also have a rage mechanic with her tenacity and ability to stay alive making her stronger as the fight goes on. This also would be a way to reflect the gameplay of a strategy game as well, as they often reward long-term planning.

I went with Zheng Jiang out of all Total War characters because I think she's awesome. Three Kingdoms actually has a ton of really badass faction leaders, all of whom would be sick to see in the game. That said, I love me some ancient bandits and I think the aggression and poison axes help her stand out, and a Three Kingdoms character seems fairly unique in terms of character archetype.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm just gonna resubmit B.D. Joe;

Job #106: B.D. Joe (Crazy Taxi)
View attachment 338782

B.D. Joe appeared in several SEGA crossovers before so you might recognize him. He's one of the four playable cabbies in the unconventional 1999 arcade racing game Crazy Taxi, which is most well-known for its Dreamcast port. Crazy Taxi was a pretty successful series and it's still fondly remembered to this day (it even got a spin-off mobile game a few years back).

While B.D. Joe is not the face of his game (that honor goes to Axel), he's a popular character among fans and developers alike, and makes quite an impression thanks to his friendly and cheerful personality. As his game features no violence whatsoever unless you count everyone driving their cabs like four-wheeled murder machines, he'd be a humorous fighter who would nonetheşess be a force to be reckoned with in right hands. Other than using various car-related tools like wrenches and tires in battle, he can also make use of his drumming and card play skills to attack with oil cans and playing cards. As we know he's a good performance artist, he can even be a dance fighter who almost accidentally hurts his opponents!

While Crazy Taxi can be included with side content just as effectively, I think a fighter from that series can be pretty fun. We don't have many non-combatant playable characters and I think B.D. Joe can fill the role nicely. Depending on his moveset, his fellow drivers Gus, Axel, and Gena can also join him as alternate costumes but that's probably not very likely.

D

Deleted member

Honey (Fighting Vipers)

Honey is a character from the fighting game series Fighting Vipers. She was known as Candy in some versions. A fashion student who joined a fighting tournament to promote her fashion line. Honey is technically not the main character of that game, but she became extremely popular, having dolls and other merch made of her and even having a Sonic character based on her appearing in Sonic the Fighters.

Last edited by a moderator:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I was going back and forth between resubmitting one of my most wanted characters for this project and throwing something new out there, but knowing what the next character job is gonna be I think I’m gonna hold off on the resubmission. If you’ve been paying attention to some of the extra content I’ve been putting forward, you prolly know where this one is going. I’m surprised nobody’s pitched them sooner, but now’s as good as time as any to finally put them forward.

Job #169: Shou Amanabe and Tillis (Burning Rangers)

47C196D7-B420-4215-ABBB-D8C26EC226BF.jpeg

Shou and Tillis are the two player characters from Burning Rangers, the lesser known of the two non-Sonic Sonic Team games released for the Saturn. They’re both new recruits for the titular Burning Rangers, a team of futuristic firefighters dedicated to rescuing people and extinguishing flames in a world where fire is the only remaining danger to human life. Both rookies have their own reason for joining the Rangers. For Shou, he wanted to repay his debt to the Ranger who risked his life to save him when he was just a child. For Tillis, she lost her parents to a fire at a young age and wanted to prevent anyone else from experiencing the loss she faced.

It’s easy to see why Burning Rangers falls under most people’s radar when talking about cool potential Sega roster picks. It was released pretty late into the Saturn’s lifespan, never left its debut console, and while Burning Rangers is far from neglected by Sega in terms of crossover cameos, the Rangers aren’t exactly a NiGHTS or William in terms of crossover turnout. That being said, it’s a shame Burning Rangers never quite took off, because I have a huge soft spot for it. For me, Burning Rangers has all the hallmarks that make the Saturn era of Sega so delightful. The palpable 90s anime influence, the incredibly inspired premise, some of the coolest character designs Sega has ever pumped out, and the banging tunes. Burning Rangers has all that wrapped into a neat little package and then some. It’s not like Sega completely neglects the game either. It got a track in All Stars Transformed, and Sega will absolutely jump at any opportunity to squeeze Angels with Burning Hearts into anything they possibly can, whether it be soundtrack compilations, a Phantasy Star Online II event, or Project X Zone. For a one-off game that’s never left the Saturn, it’s impressive how much staying power it has.

While I think the current Burning Rangers content does a great job representing it, I still think Shou and Tillis would make for incredibly fun and unique fighters. The two would likely be alts of each other since they play identically, similar to Olimar and Alph. I imagine them being glass cannons a ton of aerial mobility, using their jetpacks to zip across the air and keep out of their opponents reach. Their signature weapon, the Burning Blaster, would also have to be included to help with zoning. While you could argue that including them in a fighting game would go against the point of Burning Rangers being about helping people instead of hurting them, when has that ever stopped Isabelle from being in Smash? Hell, you could probably lean heavily into the firefighter aspect and base their moveset around them trying to “rescue” the opponent. If nothing else, we need a stage with that delicious soundtrack.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Job #169

Okay, for the very last new series submission...

...Wow...last...that's...that's some pressure...

...let's see...I choose...err...

Choosing-the-final-series-submission.png

...oh god...okay breathe and choose carefully...

I choose...

GUNSTAR RED/GUNSTAR BLUE (Gunstar Heroes)

Gunstar Treasure Box art.jpg

Alright, so when we first started Battle of Ages we were asked who we'd love to see in, and one of the very first characters that came to mind were the Gunstar heroes Red and Blue. Gunstar Heroes was one of my favourite games having rediscovered it on the Wii eshop and played it to death in co-op when I probably should have been doing more practical things. Good times.

Anyway, Gunstar Red and Gunstar Blue are a pair of brothers who defended the planet from the invasion of the God of Ruin, Golden Silver, before being put into cryo-sleep alongside their elder brother, Green, and their little sister, Yellow.
However General Grey has risen up to obtain the power gems that can awaken Golden Silver and has even kidnapped their elder brother Green, brainwashing him and turning him into his personal soldier. Red and Blue set out to prevent Golden Silver from being awoken and protect the planet once more.

Between having Full Auto Shots which are standard power blasts, a piercing Lightning shot that can hit multiple enemies at once, the homing blast attack Chaser and the short range but highly powerful Flame shots, these boys have a lot of abilities to work with...and that's before we get to the really fun stuff; aka Combining Shots.

Yes, now you can combine two of the above ammo types together to create a third with unique traits of both. Want a more powerful Full Auto shot? Try combining it with Flame! Want a lightning blast that homes in on opponents? It's possible! We may need to balance it though, this particular combo was extremely game breaking in the original title.

The boys aren't just limited to guns either, they also had powerful throws for when enemies got a little too close for comfort, and sliding kicks allow them to knock through enemies with ease.

Truth be told there's a lot of great series out there that we didn't get around to including in base, but I'd regret it if I didn't at least put the Gunstars forward one final time.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Oki doki fellas, it is time to start up the vote!!!!

Here are our candidates:

Princess Kurumi ( Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds , original submission by tonygameman tonygameman )
Dreamcast ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
Jack Cayman ( Megadoomer Megadoomer )
Blue Dragon ( PuyoWitch PuyoWitch )
Temjin ( tonygameman tonygameman )
Zheng Jiang ( Flyboy Flyboy )
B.D. Joe ( osby osby )
Honey (@Darkonedagger)
Shou Amabane and Tillis ( OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos )
Gunstar Red and Blue ( YoshiandToad YoshiandToad )

Vote for your top 3 picks - keep your own submission in third place if you're going to self-vote.

1. Temjin
2. Blue Dragon
3. Honey

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
1. Temjin (I said it before and I’ll say it again: wow cool robot)
2. Blue Dragon (Honestly really love this one conceptually, and Panzer Dragoon does deserve the rep)
3. Shou and Tillis (shameless self-vote, but I just think they’re neat!)

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
1. Temjin (🤖)
2. Jack Cayman (Deciding between this or the Burning Rangers is killing me, but I'm gonna go with Jack because Mad World is just really cool)
3. Blue Dragon (Self-vote, but I gotta fight for Panzer...)

Flyboy

Smash Hero
1. Blue Dragon - I think this is just such a cool way to represent the series and allow for tons of Panzer Dragoon representation with a single character. I love this series.

2. Temjin - Virtual-ON is just so cool, and even if I'm not a big fan of arena battlers the fact that it was basically the creator of the genre is awesome. And I love Mecha and cool robots and we need more cool robots.

3. Jack Cayman - This was the hardest choice for me but I just think MadWorld is such a cool and stylish game and the idea of a MadWorld stage that gives everyone black and white alts just tickles my heart. I really hope he gets in eventually.

I could extend so many shoutouts to the submissions for this round. It breaks my heart we can't immediately add so many of them. I LOVE the Burning Rangers and Gunstar Heroes is one of my favorite games ever. Honey would be so good too because I love Fighting Vipers and think she's just super fun. And I could go on! Just tons of fantastic choices here.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Okay so I believe I'll be busy for the next few hours so I'll have to end the vote a bit early.

Here it iiiiiiiiiiiiiis:

Kurumi: 3 points
Dreamcast: 1 points
Cayman: 9 points
Dragon: 15 points
Temjin: 26 points
Zheng: 2 points
Joe: 2 points
Honey: 8 points
Rangers: 3 points
Gunstars: 4 points

That's right, you saw it right there, you saw who got the most votes and who's joining the Battle of AGES roster next, our 32nd character, we're finally adding Temjin, baby!!!!

Moving on:

Job #170: Submit a moveset for Temjin

wow cool robot

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Ok uhhhhhh......A while has passed.

Okay so here's the thing, moveset submissions for Temjin will remain open, but we're gonna have to move on. You can submit a moveset for him at any time and I'll put it in, but we have to keep going.

Job #171: Submit a Virtual-ON stage

wow cool robot

What I said in the last stage prompt still stands: please no more "final" stages we are not short on those rn

I'll submit osby osby 's old Distorted Shrine submission.
(Credit: osby osby )
Job #23: Distorted Shrine (Virtual On: Cyber Troopers)

View attachment 316096

Virtua-On is a 1996 shooting/fighting game hybrid featuring mechas (Virtuaroids, as they're called) as playable characters. The setting is a dystopian future in which Earth is controlled by corporate syndicates aka 2021 where people fight with a sentient computer using giant robots. The series didn't continue for long but was quite successful during its time thanks to its Gundam-like character designs and highly unique control scheme in which mechas are actually controlled like industrial machinery.

The stage would show a fairly large one with a ceiling and walls. Occasionally, pitfalls would appear on the ground as the floor rotated around the center. In the background, players can see several Virtuaroids such as Fei-Yen, Dorkas, and Viper as they fight with each other. After a while, the giant robot in the background would open its legs and start walking back and forth, shooting energy bolts at the robots and players which can deal quite a bit of damage. When it stops, players can damage its crystal core and help it to be taken out faster while gaining items for their trouble.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job 170: Temjin Moveset

Let's go! I'll admit I have limited experience with Virtual-ON outside of playing the original, but you know what I HAVE played? A whole bunch of Gundam games. My theme with this moveset was to create the most Super Robot-y Super Robot in town. We need a cool mech to play like a cool mech! As a result, Temjin is clunky and somewhat large, though obviously shrunk down to scale with the rest of the cast. He's also usually quite slow, but very powerful. What he lacks in immediate normal mobility he makes up for in specials that allow for fast, destructive gameplay. The original gameplay of Virtual-ON is explosive, so I wanted to channel that.

Gimmicks: Near Temjin's icon, there is a gauge that fills up as special attacks are performed, but it goes down over time. If it is filled, Temjin will overheat and his specials will be deactivated very briefly. As a powerful mech, it's important to balance heat consumption and not spend it all, or else you may find yourself in a position where you can't attack or recover like you want. This prevents special spam, as well as provides a nice reference to the original games' more strategic bent, being an arena fighter and all.

Normals: All of Temjin's normals use his energy sword (or, I guess it's a lance) in some capacity, usually with large and strong strikes. His forward-normal is a mighty thrust with great range. However, his normals also can be combined with his Booster special to change their properties. We'll get to that.

Neutral Special: Beam Rifle
Temjin fires a blast of energy that can either be fired in a burst of freely-aimable projectiles or in a single beam. These only last for a few seconds and there's a cooldown, plus projectile spam can cause overheating fast, so be careful!

Up Special: Boosters
Temjin charges briefly and then turns his thrusters on. This is his main quick movement mechanic as well as his recovery, and as such it can be angled in any direction. When in thruster mode, Temjin's normals gain special properties, such as the side normal turning into a lance thrust that can send him even further forward. When in thruster mode he doesn't usually have collision damage, but one can use the sword moves with the boosters for extra traveling distance as well as potentially lethal hits.

Side Special: Bomb
Temjin launches a bomb with a big blast radius. Holding the button can change how far it launches, and if it doesn't make contact with an opponent it takes a few seconds to explode.

Down Special: Lock On
In Virtual-On MARZ and others, Temjin can lock onto opponents, which give his projectiles a homing mechanic. So that's what this does! A reticle appears on the opponent and both bombs and energy blasts will seek out the locked-on opponent until it vanishes. It also works with boosters and sword moves, with Temjin angling his lance down to strike a locked-on opponent if it makes sense spatially.

All-Star Move: Gliding Ram
As one of the only Virtuaroids in the game to have a special move it just makes sense it'd be reflected here. Temjin's special sees the unit charge up all its energy and then launch forward with sword held forward to deliver devastating drilling attacks to anyone unlucky enough to be caught in its path. Upon activation of this move, Temjin comes to the foreground and a UI similar to the first Virtual-ON's covers the screen, and the player can move a reticle to target an opponent or opponents with his grand finale. Yes, think the Dragoon in Smash. I just think it'd be neat.

Other notes:
Temjin's alternate costumes are based on the alt colors from the games as well as the various updated designs he's had throughout the series. He would also have colors representing Fei-Yen, Apharmd, Viper II, Dorkas, and other playable mechs.

1647913798829.png
1647913809997.png
1647913833305.png
1647914735673.png

Entrance Animation: Temjin flies from the side of the screen and lands much like the hangar eject gif up there.
Taunts, etc.: To be determined, but, y'know, think of cool robot stuff.

Job 171: Airstrip (Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram)
1647915031138.png

Okay, I admit it was hard to find a decent reference image, but basically I just see this stage as a pretty simple flat airstrip that is used for Virtuaroids to land on, based on the first stage in the game. The sun is shining, the sky is blue, the stage is mid-sized, and in the background other Virtuaroids are flying around engaged in mecha battles against each other and various recurring villains in the franchise. With hazards on, destructible boxes and other forms of cover will appear on stage as the battle starts, often containing items.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Job #172: XBV-13-t11 Bal-Bas-Bow

XBV-13-t11-Bal-Bas-Bow.png

I considered Fei-Yen, but I know it's popular enough to warrant possibly making the jump to a second player, so I'm going to go unapologetically weird with this one. I should also say I'm not the most knowledgeable guy when it comes to this franchise, but I'm nothing if not a tryer.

The Bal-Bas-Bow unit is an experimental Virtuaroid that only the most skilled pilots have a possibility of piloting. It's clumsy and sluggish on land and much more speedy in the air. Indeed, the attempt at piloting this unit for the first time ended in absolute failure.

In Battle of Ages, we're going to utilise this...unique Virtuaroid as best we can. See, it's right arm shoots out a flat ring shaped laser beam which can cancel out any and all projectiles.

Yes, this is the anti-projectile assist!
Bal-Bas-Bow will destroy any and all projectiles from opponents sent it's way, allowing the summoner to either close the gap and get right up in the opponent's face for some close combat payback, or launch their OWN barrage of unhindered projectile blasts towards the enemy!

As if the anti projectile beam wasn't enough, the left arm of this Virtuaroid shoots out clusters of floating mines, preventing opponents from getting too close to them too. Summoners may want to grab their opponent and throw them into these landairmines for massive damage!

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
Job #172: RVR-33 MZV-36T-H Apharmd the HA-T "The Hatter"
Apharmd the Hatter.png

Just as powerful as he is hard to pronounce, Apharmd is a reoccurring mech in the Virtual-On games, with heavy military ties in every single game that they're in. Of them, perhaps the most plot-relevant one to their game would be this one, nicknamed "The Hatter" from Cyber Troopers Virtual-On Marz. While the game's reception could be considered mixed at best, the version of Apharmd was fairly well-liked. So much so, they even had him show up in numerous Super Robot Wars titles. That said, if we want to be technical, they only put him in because he was originally from some novelization of the franchise.

Distinguishable by what could only be described as a giant robot cowboy hat, "The Hatter" is piloted by a cocky, hot-blooded Sergeant named Issy Hatter who personally redid his mech to fit his unique combat styles. He doesn't like any long-range weapons, just attacking opponents head-on with fiery kicks and blue beams that shoot out of the back of that thing on his arms. That said, he DOES have a projectile. That cowboy hat? It can be taken off and thrown at enemies like a boomerang. As soon as I saw that, I knew that I needed to at least nominate him.

The Hatter stands at a similar size to Temjin, and is a loudmouth on the field, making comments as he swipes at opponents left and right with his attacks. Thankfully he can be knocked out with enough damage to him if you're afraid of him, or you just want him to shut up.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Job #173: Airstrip Tracklist:
  1. In the Blue Sky - Cyber Troopers Virtual-ON
  2. She’s Lost Control - Cyber Troopers Virtual-ON
  3. Everything Merges With the Night - Cyber Troopers Virtual-ON
  4. Earth Light - Cyber Troopers Virtual-ON
  5. Fade to Black - Cyber Troopers Virtual-ON
  6. Soldier Blue - Oratorio Tanagram
  7. Above and Beyond - Oratorio Tanagram
  8. Teenage Fortune - Oratorio Tanagram
  9. High on Hope - Oratorio Tanagram
  10. Sweet Tragedy of Dreams - Oratorio Tanagram
  11. Tidal Blue - Virtual-ON Force
  12. Quiet Resolve - Virtual-ON Force
  13. Air Time - Virtual-ON Force
  14. Three Splendid Roses - Virtual-ON MARZ
  15. Light of the Moon - Virtual-ON MARZ
  16. Harmless Sigh - Virtual-ON MARZ
God Virtual-ON has way too many bangers, making this list was pretty hard.

Job 174:
Resubmitting
YoshiandToad YoshiandToad 's Sega Activator.
Job 144: Sega Activator
View attachment 344374

For those not in the know, Sega created this strange ring like controller as one of the first virtual reality controllers. It worked by shooting infrared beams upwards that would register any time they were broken to decide what move was used.

In Battle of Ages players can throw the ring down like a proximity mine. Any fighter who accidentally stumbles into the ring will suddenly find themselves trapped by the lasers that shoot upwards.

The hapless victim will be unable to move for a brief period allowing their opponents to prepare a powerful attack to 'help free them'.

D

Deleted member

vZhtCDF2MALOTCJU.medium.jpg

iDog
This adorable little machine will sit, and players must activate it, and when activated he will walk across the stage, music notes flying out of him, dealing damage. As a bonus, maybe he could play a different song depending on who activities him?

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #174: Flower (Tempo)

1648144982507.png

(please ignore the unrelated sprites, I couldn't find them individually)

Flower is one of the interactable map elements in the SEGA 32X platforming game, Tempo. In the game, it appears as a block of ice which if broken, reveals the flower trapped in, awarding the player with a power-up.

I'm submitting this because I realized we don't have any proper item containers. In Battle of AGES, Flower would appear as a sliding block that changes directions when hit and can take quite a beating. Fire attacks can instantly thaw it. When broken, the flower inside blooms and spawns a random regular item.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job 174: THE OOZE

1648144853878.png

Let's be real, if it wasn't for the Sega Genesis Collections, no one would remember THE OOZE. But we live in a world where he has infested said collections and we just have to hold that.

THE OOZE is a 1995 puzzle...dungeon crawler...thing by Sega Technical Institute where you play as the titular sentient pile of radioactive goo and your goal is to spread around and cause as much muck and chaos as possible. For as much as I roast it, I think the idea of a game where you play as a horror movie monster, combined with the strange geometric way THE OOZE spreads out, makes it really interesting! I think time has been rather kind to this game, and it really does kind of stick with you, appropriately enough!

1648145075999.png

THE OOZE first appears on-stage as a barrel marked with a radioactive symbol. Players then pick it up and toss it, and where it lands is where THE OOZE first appears. He lies in wait, head peeking above the green puddle, slowly spreading until someone is unfortunate enough to land on it. When a player lands on THE OOZE, they are ensnared, allowing anyone to start walloping away. As the victim is attacked, so is THE OOZE, who turns from green to yellow to orange to red until enough damage is done to free the victim and banish the slime monster...for now.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
UFO Catcher

SEGA's famous Claw Machine has come to the battlefield

A cabinet would appear on the stage and once someone interacts with it the the Claw would appear in the sky and move around the top, It can be controlled by the user and pressing attack has the claw descend and grab an opponent and drag them to the blast zone

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm resubmitting this one for Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds

Job 119:
Light Phaser (Master System)

View attachment 341704
I know you guys don't know too much about Light Phaser and it sounds very obscure, but here's the short explanation about it:

Light Phaser is a peripheral for Sega Master System and it's like NES Zapper, but it's made by SEGA and it's a light gun.
Light Phaser was made by SEGA and it was based on one of Weapons from "Zillion" anime, where Speed Weed's beloved Opa-Opa appeared.
The Light Phaser is used for Shooting games that were on Master System like Zapper did and the Light Gun was one of Master System's Accessories that were with 3D Glasses and Controllers.

In Battle of AGES, Light Phaser could act like Ray Gun from Smash Bros, but with aesthetics taken from Duck Hunt's Smash Attacks. Light Phaser shoots Rays that give normal damage, but with you charge the Attack, it shoots out projectile that is shown by Reticle like Duck Hunt's Side Smash attack.

I nominate Light Phaser, because it could represent SEGA's console Hardware, since we never had an Item based on Console Hardware and it could be another Shooting Item after Periscope. Besides, this Item could be BoA equivalent of Smash's ray Gun.
Also, this a perfect idea to include Console Hardware Item to the Game.

(Only SEGA legends remember Light Phaser)
Light Phaser is pretty snazzy ya'll and Zillion is a classic.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Job 174:
Resubmitting
YoshiandToad YoshiandToad 's Sega Activator.
Please stop constantly just submitting other people's things. It's fine to do it every once in a while, but it's basically all you do in this thread now and it comes across as very disrespectful. This subforum also has a rule against just copying other people's submissions, and this kinda stuff is skirting very closely around that. You've been warned in the past about acting this way in the thread, and I'll let it slide this time, but I'm also setting up a new thread rule to prevent this kind of incessant resubmitting of other people's stuff: from now on, the original poster's permission is necessary for people in this thread to submit someone else's idea.

Please stop constantly just submitting other people's things. It's fine to do it every once in a while, but it's basically all you do in this thread now and it comes across as very disrespectful. This subforum also has a rule against just copying other people's submissions, and this kinda stuff is skirting very closely around that. You've been warned in the past about acting this way in the thread, and I'll let it slide this time, but I'm also setting up a new thread rule to prevent this kind of incessant resubmitting of other people's stuff: from now on, the original poster's permission is necessary for people in this thread to submit someone else's idea.
Sorry.
I won't ever going to do it again..

Last edited:
Top Bottom