• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Let's Hit the Climax! Bayonetta on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Social Thread

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
"Well-behaved women seldom make history." ~Ulrich

Glad to know she's back--and better than she was in Smash 4 after the nerf hammer. Judging by that match with Ridley, it looks like they found a middle ground between patches 1.1.5 & 1.1.6. She can still rush the enemy to the blast zone, though not as easily as she could prior to 1.1.6. She'll probably be mine main again, along with Robin.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Bayonetta gonna need some good nerfs

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I'm really glad Bayonetta isn't cut and is a part of the base game, it wasn't that rational of me but I was honestly a little worried that she could end up being cut and made into DLC again due to concerns for the age ratings lol.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I've been playing the original Bayonetta since it was on sale on Steam, and though I already liked her in Smash, I like her a lot more now.
Bayonetta games are pretty good, yes.
I mean, she's not just a random character, she won a ballot for a reason.
:196:

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
I think it would be super cool if they released DLC costumes in SSBU for the main cast, not just Mii's. After Bayo3's release how cool would it be to get her Bayo3 design as a DLC costume in SSBU?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
"I'm really far back and catching up now, but this is a common sentiment in this thread that Bayonetta won the ballot legit and people who suspect she didn't are treated as conspiracists. However there is objective evidence Bayonetta was planned from before the Ballot and it was used afterward to justify her inclusion; dataminers found that of the Mario slots added in 1.0.6, one has the same exact stats as Zero Suit Samus, which were gradually changed over time to what became Bayonetta (another of the Mario slots has the same stats as Ike which became Cloud, and then in 1.0.8 when the final Mario slot was added it also had the same stats as Ike, which became Corrin). 1.0.6 dropped only two weeks after the Ballot launched, meaning there was really no way the Ballot was actually used to decide Bayo, and it appears to have been a sham in deciding DLC, while its real purpose was to be used to get data for future games, as the Japanese page said it could be used for (or Sakurai was initially planning more DLC based on the Ballot but decided at some point to save everything for a new Smash and instead made up the stuff about Bayonetta being the "Ballot winner" to avoid having to admit it ended up being used for a new Smash game).

This information isn't easily sourced since you have to look through the data yourself, but it can found in fighter_param if you know how to do that, and all the prominent dataminers confirmed it."

This... is unfortunate.

Bayonetta possibly didn't win the ballot.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I think it would be super cool if they released DLC costumes in SSBU for the main cast, not just Mii's. After Bayo3's release how cool would it be to get her Bayo3 design as a DLC costume in SSBU?
Yeah, I would gladly spend money for some more alternate costumes, I hope they go for it, it's money just asking to be made.
"I'm really far back and catching up now, but this is a common sentiment in this thread that Bayonetta won the ballot legit and people who suspect she didn't are treated as conspiracists. However there is objective evidence Bayonetta was planned from before the Ballot and it was used afterward to justify her inclusion; dataminers found that of the Mario slots added in 1.0.6, one has the same exact stats as Zero Suit Samus, which were gradually changed over time to what became Bayonetta (another of the Mario slots has the same stats as Ike which became Cloud, and then in 1.0.8 when the final Mario slot was added it also had the same stats as Ike, which became Corrin). 1.0.6 dropped only two weeks after the Ballot launched, meaning there was really no way the Ballot was actually used to decide Bayo, and it appears to have been a sham in deciding DLC, while its real purpose was to be used to get data for future games, as the Japanese page said it could be used for (or Sakurai was initially planning more DLC based on the Ballot but decided at some point to save everything for a new Smash and instead made up the stuff about Bayonetta being the "Ballot winner" to avoid having to admit it ended up being used for a new Smash game).

This information isn't easily sourced since you have to look through the data yourself, but it can found in fighter_param if you know how to do that, and all the prominent dataminers confirmed it."

This... is unfortunate.

Unfortunate, although really, I'm not surprised at all, Bayonetta was popular but she was still relatively niche, and because of that I was always in the conspiracy "King K. Rool/Snake/OtherPopularCharacterHere might have been more popular overall" camp. Also, can you link the source? I know what you're saying is true because I remember hearing something about the ZSS-Bayo thing a looonnnggg time ago but whenever I wanted to bring it up I could never find the source.

Also that reminds me of something kind of silly.

It almost looks Zero Suit Samus is posing for a new Bayonetta game's cover lol. Possible foreshadowing?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605

This... is unfortunate.

I would be crushed, I voted for her several times and in all servers, got my wish turned into reality, and also she's a fun characters to use (a tad overtuned, but still fun).

And at the same time I wouldn't because her name almost never figured among the top candidates and I was fully expecting someone else to be announced.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
It was obvious they had to draw the line in the sand somewhere for her before the ballot ended.

That said, I don't see any reason for them to lie about her results lol, they possibly had foresight and the ballot started at the right time and place for her. If they really needed to lie about it, why not just use Cloud who'd be far more believable?

Either way, it was the right thing to add her.

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
Tbh her being decided upon after 2 weeks of the ballot makes 100% sense. By the time the 2 weeks is up they already have most of the votes that they will get in. So it would be easy to tell who would stay in the lead and who would fall off.

Anyone else that got a lot and were realizable were presumably saved for Ultimate since that began production shortly after the last DLC for Smash 4

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
Honestly? I really dont ****ing care if she won the ballot or not, because at the end of the day she's still in Smash. I mean I voted for her 4 times, so either way my votes were justified as she got in. This could actually be a good thing, because then people who talk trash on her inclusion because she 'got in over their votes' are suddenly invalidated because her votes didnt stop their most wanted from getting in, because they never had a chance to begin with when compared to her. The idea that she was guaranteed to get in means that rather than the fans wanting her and sakurai adding her in because of that, it means Sakurai him self actively wanted to include her him self.

So you know what? Sure its a shame that her not winning the ballot does mean that her fan base isnt as loud as we thought, but it also means that people harassing her fans for wanting her will have to stop because she wasnt 'voted in over their favorites' and was planned. Honestly I can only see this as a good thing.

Altais

Smash Champion
I always had a feeling that the Smash Ballot was little more than an experiment--which is why I voted for many other characters, not just Bayonetta.

The idea that she was guaranteed to get in means that rather than the fans wanting her and sakurai adding her in because of that, it means Sakurai him self actively wanted to include her him self.
That's what I like about Sakurai; his tendency to choose characters based on potential rather than popularity.

Having found all this out, I now have higher hopes for the more obscure, but unique characters.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime

This... is unfortunate.

People seem to be forgetting that she had a lot of support during the ballot, because she was a cool character that actually had a reasonable chance of being in the game, unlike anime characters and some crazier third party characters. Platinum and Nintendo had a close working relationship, with Bayonetta 2 being exclusive to the Wii U thanks to Nintendo, as well as Wonderful 101 and their work on Star Fox Zero. So a lot of people did vote for Bayonetta, because it was a vote with a reasonable chance of success. Bayonetta 2 had just come out about half a year before the ballot started as well. So anyone who says that Sakurai had to lie about how popular she was in the ballot is just not thinking about the context. She was very popular and supported when the ballot started.

Is it it possible that she was already picked before the ballot? Yes. Is it possible that she was still chosen based on the ballot? Also yes. The slots weren't made before the ballot, they were made two weeks after. By that point, the bulk of entries would have been collected. It ran for 6 months, but I doubt that there were meaningful volumes of votes any more than a month later. Most of the votes would have come soon after the ballot was opened, and I'd imagine that the votes were pretty consistent throughout, anyways. So it's entirely possible that, after two weeks, there was such large support for Bayonetta that Sakurai picked her. Because what, was a huge influx of votes for a totally different character going to show up three months later? Or would it be more reasonable to assume that most of the votes had been collected by then?

That's how I look at it, anyways. I think people are letting their blind hate for the character, 99% influenced by the character's poor balancing, allow them to forget that the character was genuinely popular at the time of the ballot and that would have been reflected very early on. When the character was announced, almost no one complained, and hundreds of thousands of people were super excited. It's only because of Bayonetta's crazy balancing that people have soured on the character, so they're taking this evidence as an excuse to claim that she was never actually popular, and thus manufacture more reasons to be salty about her.

Last edited:

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
I found this super cute pic online (Here and Here) of a 'Paper Smash Bros' that featured a lot of SSB characters in the Paper Mario style, one of which was Bayonetta.
SSBU Paper Bayonetta by Neogandwatch.png
So i figured if anyone wanted a Paper Bayonetta for Avatars or Sigs, then here ya go.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I just beat Bayonetta for the first time. Hot damn, what a stylish game. Very fun, well worth my time playing. Had a blast from start to finish, and I appreciate Bayo in Smash even more than I already did.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Personally I don't buy this "development started 2 weeks into the ballot" bs. People knew about these slots way back when Roy and Ryu were first leaked and no one chucked a fuss back, they figured what I still believe. It was a placeholder.

And where is this "Zero Suit" stuff coming from? And why was it just being discovered?

Also even then two weeks is plenty of time to figure out the general idea of who to add. Bayonetta probably got an early lead so they add a placeholder similar her, I don't see why they couldn't change the stats to match someone else if someone else made a surprise overtaking.

I see no reason why they would lie. And why Sakurai would feel the need to lie to put Bayonetta in, that makes no sense.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
In my mind, "realisable characters" would probably stand for "female character we can just tweak ZSS's model to make".
That would probably include Shantae, too, unless being an indie character makes it more difficult to develop.

maybe the ballot was a mere reference to begin with the development of the next game (and how they knew Ridley was a popular choice).

Whatever the case, I am still happy with Bayonetta's inclusion.

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Last edited:

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
All hail the queen, winner of yet another SSB4 Evo tournament <3

Altais

Smash Champion
Now that we know third-party characters can have Echo Fighters, I'm hoping Jeanne gets revealed. Just like in Bayonetta 2, Jeanne's Witch Time would require more precise input, but as a reward, opponents caught in her Witch Time would be launched farther by her attacks.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Now that we know third-party characters can have Echo Fighters, I'm hoping Jeanne gets revealed. Just like in Bayonetta 2, Jeanne's Witch Time would require more precise input, but as a reward, opponents caught in her Witch Time would be launched farther by her attacks.
I definitely wouldn't mind seeing Jeanne in the game, though I can't even begin to imagine how upset people would be if she kept the exact same strengths and weaknesses from the original games - Witch Time has a much more narrow window, but her Wicked Weaves (aka Smash attacks) do more damage.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
If adding Jeanne to the game means removing Bayo's skin color based on her, I'm 30000000% for it.

blackghost

Smash Champion
If adding Jeanne to the game means removing Bayo's skin color based on her, I'm 30000000% for it.
i want bayo to get her Nintendo costumes. i assume the peach and daisy ones are bit much but no reason she cant dress up like link or samus.

Bayopuff

Smash Apprentice
I really hope she doesn't get nerfed to hell and back, but she'll be one of my mains nonetheless, alongside the inevitable Puff and the Ice Climbers.

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
One of the things I find hilarious is the fact that competitive smashers think she will be super nerfed so that she's viable for the competitive scene. Thing is though, if you don't play competitively, Bayonetta is really difficult to use because shes got poor killing power from not using her combos to do it. As someone who plays SSB casually, I struggle to KO with Bayonetta since i can never get her combos down, and rely on smash attacks for knocking out opponents, so whittling down enemies and then a smash attack to finish the job is really difficult for her to do.

So she's not going to be nerfed to the point shes not broken in competitive play, because if they do then casual players wont be able to use her effectively, or at all, and they won't do that.

Altais

Smash Champion
Like most Bayonetta mains, I was utterly disappointed by patch 1.1.6. They could have easily tweaked it so that her ceiling combos wouldn't kill nearly as early. For instance, one idea I thought of is that her side and up-specials would be very easy to escape for opponents with 0% damage. But as their damage increases, it becomes harder and harder to escape. That would have effectively done away with the zero-to-death KO's, whilst simultaneously keeping Bayonetta's playstyle of rushing the enemy toward the blast zone. It would be somewhat of a pain to build up enemy damage, but would be rewarding in the end.

Rose alumna

Smash Journeyman
https://youtu.be/svJwTcaNnAI

Hello my Lovelys while going through every bayonetta video I could find, I saw something strange in one of them. It was at 3:04 During the combo (Wt > Abk > Dabk > up air > abk) bayo used 3 side B's while in the air not being hit in the process.

It also happens in this video around 13:12 https://youtu.be/6-TWcmG7j2Y

The bayonetta player seems confused and went on to see if it works without Dabk it did not so I'm assuming it's only possible with Abk > Dabk > Abk

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion

if someone want to break this down feel free. i dont have time. but its good to see a long set.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Am I the only one who loved Bayonetta's first game version render?

Top Bottom