• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legde hop waveland uses.

Nick Nasty

Smash Journeyman
I was looking at Shin Ganondorf's guide to using Ganon and I noticed the part about wavelanding from a ledge hop w/Ganon. I have been practicing it ever since and now I can do it consistently. Anyway, it speeds up his recovery alot so I was wondering what would be the best thing to do after one? I usually shield, grab or get in a quick shuffled fair after I do one. Also, I watched a couple of vids but notice that this method isn't used that much. I know it isn't the best way of utulizing a ledge hop recovery, but IMO I think it has some uses if you incorporate it into your playstyle.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
Yes, you are right...any attack you can land from a waveland is useful. It usually depends on your opponent's location when you do the waveland.

Stormblast

Smash Journeyman
i do it frequently.most of the time, i do jab, grab, f-tilt or roll dodge out of it.

You see me do it a couple of times in my combo video also :p

Soma

Smash Journeyman
I mainly use it after edgehogging, but they recover quite a bit onto the stage, so I can quickly catch up and attack. But, besides that, people are usually too eager to attack when I'm on the edge to use it, unless I ledgehop u-air back to the ledge first.

Frozenserpent

Smash Journeyman
The reason I don't use it, and i imagine many other ganon players don't use it, is because I can't do it. I can waveland with other chars, and I can ledgehop uairs with ganon, but wavelanding with ganon has always been too difficult for me. However, it is a really great option from the ledge. You can grab, jab, ftilt, do an aerial... but it's still very useful just to get on the stage, too, because rolling is too laggy.

Tundravalco

Smash Journeyman
i guess its kinda situational on where your opponent is but i normally do it with a jab or f-filt or pivot jab or f-tilt.

Pointman Rob

Smash Journeyman
I'm a fan of the waveland grab myself. Still getting a hang for the feel of the ftilts/jabs. I usually end up doing an fmash... >.<

... waveland to pivoted fsmash? get that extra distance away for when your opponent anticipates the waveland and attacks where you should be?

"Oh good anticipation good sir, you read the waveland wellELBOW TO THE FACE!"

Miharu

Smash Hero
The reason I don't use it, and i imagine many other ganon players don't use it, is because I can't do it. I can waveland with other chars, and I can ledgehop uairs with ganon, but wavelanding with ganon has always been too difficult for me. However, it is a really great option from the ledge. You can grab, jab, ftilt, do an aerial... but it's still very useful just to get on the stage, too, because rolling is too laggy.
Bahaha get some tech skill :p

You can waveland to roll for a huge distance.

You can also aerial, ftilt, reverse grab, w/e.

Stormblast

Smash Journeyman
Just a little question to you all: can anyone do the ledgehop to waveland off the edge again and the hop a Fair onto the stage?

I´ve never seen anyone do it except Tipman and i have tried it alot but i have never ever got it.

Seeing that this is extremely useful if someone could master it, allowing him to ledgehop all his aerials and not just Uair.

so, is there someone out there super technical that can do this insanely hard technique?

sprials

Smash Rookie
i'm curious if you do a ledgehop uair, do you l-cancel and fast fall it? I've gotten it down pretty reliably, but i'm still afraid i'll end up air dodging into edge/fast falling to death.

Magus420

Smash Master
Just a little question to you all: can anyone do the ledgehop to waveland off the edge again and the hop a Fair onto the stage?

I´ve never seen anyone do it except Tipman and i have tried it alot but i have never ever got it.

Seeing that this is extremely useful if someone could master it, allowing him to ledgehop all his aerials and not just Uair.

so, is there someone out there super technical that can do this insanely hard technique?
Well, ledgehopping invincible u-airs isn't even really that useful for hitting people already on the stage. The little extra range you get with the f-air is nice I guess, and I suppose you could maybe use the d-air to set up a reverse down-b spike. Then again, you're also out of your invincibility and a double jump by the time it comes out when doing it though which is quite risky in its own right without even considering performing the technique itself.

If they're close enough so that the others besides the f-air would also hit, you can instead just ledge hop an invincible grab to also get an aerial on them or force them off stage with a b-throw (or down if they DI behind) and often get a free edgeguard kill on them. Further in where the f-air becomes useful there's still usually better options, though more options is always good, plus when mixed into his ledgestall I'd imagine it could throw someone offguard with the way it looks when you do it. Though I've messed around doing it a bit before I never felt it was something worth the time perfecting to seriously work into my ledgegame.

Actually, while writing this I went and tried it again and it isn't nearly as hard to do as I remembered it, and I've only played the game like once in the past month and a half so I'm likely a bit rusty too. I use a different way of ledgehopping than I did before so that's probably why. Just keep in mind that you only need to be holding towards the stage the moment you press jump, so immediately after pushing the jump move the control stick to diagonally down and away (you can also do horizontal but it's harder and doesn't really help) from the stage before landing and then airdodge, then move it towards again for the DJ into the aerial. BIG emphasis on the holding fully towards the stage when the jump button is pressed for the ledgehop, and also not fastfalling by pressing too far down to let go if you use that to let go. If you find yourself airdodging off the stage you're likely messing 1 or both of those 2 things up. I'll probably use this a bit now if I remember to next chance I get to play.
i'm curious if you do a ledgehop uair, do you l-cancel and fast fall it? I've gotten it down pretty reliably, but i'm still afraid i'll end up air dodging into edge/fast falling to death.
L-cancel yes, but since you barely make it over the edge when doing it fastfalling right before landing doesn't really do too much except make it harder to let the tail end of the move (which is what you generally use ledgehopped u-airs for as an edgeguard) come out before you land.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master

After reading this thread, I tried it and got it on my first try.

I used:
Control stick away -> X -> control stick forward -> control stick diagonal down/away -> X -> Fair

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Control stick forward and X are simultaneous to me...but I yeah you're right. I just wrote it in the order that I think while I'm playing, if that makes sense. My mind says one thing, my thumbs say another.

lol I'm always mesmerized by your sigs XD

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I attempted this trick 9 times in a match today and I was successful every time! :)

This may sound weird, but practicing Captain Falcon helped me pull this off consistently

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
I usually don't waveland edge=hop since I can barely edge-hop or Uair edge-hop. But i'd still waveland anyways..

Top Bottom