• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ledge options

FrozenFire13

Smash Ace
What are Sheik's options for getting back onstage from the ledge? Other characters have different options, but what are Sheik's? I feel that every time I'm on the ledge, I've got such limited options. Any advice from fellow Sheik players?

Canvasofgrey

Smash Ace
Aside from the normal, there's always ledgehop Fair. Or you can bait attacks by falling back or down and immediatly using the chain to latch on the ledge for easy invincibility frames. (Though she can't do this more than 3 times). You can fall down the ledge and secondjump Uair to clear the edge i people are close to it. Or you can fall to the side, immeidatly using a vanish, glide yourself a bit on a diagonal to the ledge so you do latch on to it, and clear the edge zone that way.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Apart from what Canvas said,

You can get loads of momentum from U-air mid attack. The hitbox on the side of it is useful for this. Apart from this, though, none of sheiks moves are particularly great for recovery from the ledge.

A couple of things I used to do back in the day (that still work)

Hit away from the ledge and do a transformation Jump. Unless you're on WiFi you can make it back as Zelda ON to the stage using her UpB. Obvious risk, but it hasn't failed me too much.

Another thing is ledgehop > Chain. I have chainjacketed it once that way. It was cool, but not reliable. A simple chainlock will work here depending on who you're fighting and where they're standing. These things are all very situational. You know your opponents mannerisms better than we do, so use that to your advantage. Be "intuitive."

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Relative to other ledge attacks, both Sheik's below and above 100% attacks are good, but ledge aerials are still the most flexible and overall better option usually. All Sheik's aerials work decently to very well except D Air (but we've established many times there's always a better option with that move). An often used tactic is ledge drop to needle charge reverse to B Air for the range. Sheik has good ledge stall variance as well with ledge drop to vanish regrab and chain. You should use this to renew invinciblity and also simply to keep your opponent guessing.

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
pretty much everything everyone else said.

Neutral 100% recover
Hitting L or R to roll/flip (my favorite)
Ledgehop to Fair
Ledgehop to Uair
Ledgehop to Nair
Ledgedrop to Reverse Needle Cancel > Jump > Bair
Ledgehop to FF Aerial Dodge

Using needles to keep your opponent back then recovering.
Some times you can even Vanish back onto the stage if your opponent is hugging the ledge. Either they get hit or Sheild, and the landing lag lasts long enough usually for me to shield or spot dodge right after. Or aiming the wind hitbox to blow them back upon land.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
I find ledge jump to cross up bair works very well, it's relatively quick and reverses the situation on your opponent. Also wall jump to bair on battlefield is a decent mix up.

Villi

Smash Lord
If someone is standing near the ledge, shielding or no, hitting them with the front side of your bair, too, should put them behind you and likely offstage.

Sometimes I like to drop to the approximate half-way length of the tether, tether release and double jump back on stage with an air dodge so that I maintain invincibility around the time I'm rising passed the ledge up until I land.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
needle reverse bair works one every stage, a little slower though.

Sheik is too fast to take lightly on the edge. sweet nair and sweet bair should give you enough shield stun to land comfortably. Sheiks jump-on is a very strong option as well.

i used to fair-> bair onto the stage which worked well with shields... a decent mix up. but not too hard to punish.

Villi, you don't get grabbed when you do that?

Villi

Smash Lord
When I do a shoulder hit with bair? Nope. If they're shielding they either get put behind me or fall off and grab the ledge because of the push back.

The air dodge thing, I dunno if I get a soft or hard landing from it. It feels risky, but I think it's safe on paper. I usually buffer a dash attack, spot dodge, roll, or down smash depending on the situation.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
yeah the thing about dodging into the ground at all in you can easily time a grab (or attack, though grabs are easier, they beat any possible sheild) that has no way of being countered, so watch out for that it's definitely a good mix up though if you need to get past someone charging a smash.

Villi

Smash Lord
Yeah, it's usually my last resort against the scary edge guarders who I feel like they've got an answer to anything I might do or at least would put me in a position I wouldn't like (ledge hop double jump). It's unexpected and less laggy/more protected than a ledge get-up and puts me in the same position.

From there I can just do something that looks safe even though I'm thinking "wtf am I doing this?" like throwing a needle or hitting with a weak dash attack. Or heck just running passed them when they think they have me "zoned."

Top Bottom