• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ledge get up invincibility

IDK

Smash Lord
We all know that when you get of from the ledge, you are invincible, right? Or are you? I've repeated this specific tactic in multiple cases, most of which result in kills, where the opponent could have done nothing.

During a certain short amount of frames, the get-up invincibility (on ledge attacks/jumps/normal get ups) goes away. This means if you have good timing, you can spike, stagespike, dash attack, dtilt, or jab them out of any of the ledge options.

The simplest and easiest one to do is the dtilt. It has good range, so you can put yourself out of the range of ledgehopped fairs, if you're facing someone with a quick, long-ranged fair like MK. Crouch and wait for the opponent to start getting up, and dtilt.

As I mentioned before, you can also jump and try to spike them out of this, or come from behind and bair stagespike. This works even if they are jumping off the edge. Doing a dash attack or jab during this will result in them being surprised, and they might just fall to their death if they react too late. They will almost definately die if they're someone like DK, unless they are expecting it. However, these two options have the toughest timing, and leave you the most vulnerable.

All in all, as this is a good advantage for diddy, you have to keep in mind that this means that other characters with similar attacks can do the same, and you should remember: How safe am I really on the edge? I myself am one to go on the edge after stocks, because while they have invincibility, I will too in that case. It turns out I am wrong to do this. It is easy to edgeguard, and I'm starting the stock off in a bad position.

A while back I discovered a Marth Technique that used the upsmash to stagespike. Because of the freaky deaky hitbox it pulls them in to the stage, and then they fall down to their death with no chance of survival. (Even for MK) NOW with THIS discovery, although I have not tested it yet, I think this could be used to upsmash stagespike someone OUT of their ledge options. I'm going to post this same thing on the marth boards.

-IDK

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
That's why I get frustrated against Marth and Snake players. And hasn't it been known that you are vulnerable on the ledge. I remember reading something like this in the Brawl Tactics forums.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
That's why I get frustrated against Marth and Snake players. And hasn't it been known that you are vulnerable on the ledge. I remember reading something like this in the Brawl Tactics forums.
The ledge isn't a very safe place anymore (unless you're planking someone). Not like it was in Melee anyway.

DUB

Smash Lord
This usually ends up happening to me. I get up attack too much and it always seems like I have no invincibility at all during any ledge options.

Just throwing it out there because I know from experience. 99% when there is a DK on the ledge against you, more then likely you won't be able to do anything. His Up+B ledgestall is amazing at keeping people abay and this under 100% get up attack is probably the best in the game.

I haven't heard of Marth's Up+Smash stage spiking like that, but I know other people that things just like that. DK's Downsmash, G&W's dash, luigis D-smash etc etc. Irrelevant but its here so watch out for them.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I'm not quite sure what you are talking about, are you saying that in between the 2 seconds of invin frames you get there are spots that you can hit them in? Video?

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
I'm not quite sure what you are talking about, are you saying that in between the 2 seconds of invin frames you get there are spots that you can hit them in? Video?
Actually, this is true, and it's flat-out one of the most ****ing ******** additions to a Smash game ever. I hate hanging on that stupid ledge.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Yeah. You hit him because he actually loses invincibility frames. Had he been able to roll, he would have gotten the invincibility frames back.

Stuuuuuupid
Your face is stoopid.

Can you do this EVERY time they get up from the ledge or if you did it as fast as possible could they avoid it?

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
There was a video, on the tact board I think, that featured a Ganon stomping people as the climbed the ledge pretty consistently and killing them over and over.

I could never learn the timing.

Maybe I should start trying the UpB. It's not super safe, but it'll either Spike, Deploy on a get up attack, hit them if they JUST get up, and you can fire to hit them if they jump. A roll would be the worst and even then.

Something new to test out in friendlies I guess.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
There was a video, on the tact board I think, that featured a Ganon stomping people as the climbed the ledge pretty consistently and killing them over and over.

Maybe I should start trying the UpB. It's not super safe, but it'll either Spike, Deploy on a get up attack, hit them if they JUST get up, and you can fire to hit them if they jump. A roll would be the worst and even then.

That's an interesting idea.

It should be noted that when you charge your barrels from a dash, you slide a little as well (I know you all know this). So it could be very good against enemies on the ledge.

Also there's always just spamming peanuts to be safe.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377

I did the Barrels on the ledge to a Falco that had 130% to kill him :p

(falco was getting up)

IDK

Smash Lord
I have a vid. Internet's just too slow right now to upload it. I'll do it later.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Is this just that you can hit someone when they try to roll up from an edgehog position? Thought that was known awhile. Watch out against Foxs/Falcos/ROB/any character with a good dair.

Player-1

Smash Legend
That's an interesting idea.

It should be noted that when you charge your barrels from a dash, you slide a little as well (I know you all know this). So it could be very good against enemies on the ledge.

Also there's always just spamming peanuts to be safe.
I was doing this in April and had data for 100%- ledge get up attacks and 100%+ for a few characters and then everyone said no to it >.<

IDK

Smash Lord
@ alpha, not just out of rolls though. any get up option, including get up attack.
@ fluke, yeah. humans can do that too. against falco it's not that hard. it's easier just to shield grab and wait till they're done though...

mastermiind

Smash Apprentice
On the real my friend uses falco and has been doing this for months but for some reason if i use falco i just cant do it he incredible for timing things

Top Bottom