• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Ledge Chain-grabbing / The Handoff FAQ

Tomber

Smash Journeyman
This works on Pichu too. At least in PAL. You just have to dash grab with Nana after the d-throw.

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
I never move Nana forward when I do it, I just time her grab.. But as soon as I pass off my oppenent to her, I move my Popo forward just a tad by tapping the control stick forward to prepare for the f-throw. Dash grabbing sorta causes you to run out of room for more handoffs pretty quickly

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
So, due to my taking this game rather serious again for FC I'm learning these boys. Haha this is some hard ****, but good **** on this guide Wobbles, your wisdom is appreciated. I'm probably gonna have some questions guys so get ready to help out a desync nub.

UnderTheAir

Smash Rookie
No matter what I do I'm having so much trouble regrabbing with Popo after Nano forward throws. I can't figure out if I'm grabbing too early or if I haven't moved Popo close enough.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Walk forward a tiny tiny bit while Nana has them in her grab, then time Popo's grab so that the GRABBOX is out as soon as Nana f-throws. You're probably grabbing late. Remember, grab takes SEVEN frames to startup.

S7GF

Smash Journeyman
I know that there have been many threads about Mr. Game and Watch's hammer in Game and Watch forum, and I notice here that you think that Nana's throw is almost always random.

How much research has gone into that? It certainly seems random, but has it been confirmed random? If there's some sort of pattern, one can easily see how valuable that information would be for someone who plays the Ice Climbers.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
it's not random near the ledge.
other than that, it doesn't matter because you can react to what ever she does and get a good follow up or a regrab.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
always towards the ledge.
on platforms she'll throw towards the nearest end, if you're in the exact middle she tends to favor bthrow.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Did he ever show how to do this ?

Or do you know how oh great Texas iceys player!
its not too hard. all you do is handoff to nana, then waveland on the top platform with popo.
It works best on dreamland and yoshis.
It is dependent on the characters weight and percent (and DI)
Dsmash is more guaranteed than a grab most of the time, but obviously, you can get more off a grab and it looks cooler.

HodgyDot

Smash Apprentice
its not too hard. all you do is handoff to nana, then waveland on the top platform with popo.
It works best on dreamland and yoshis.
It is dependent on the characters weight and percent (and DI)
Dsmash is more guaranteed than a grab most of the time, but obviously, you can get more off a grab and it looks cooler.
Yeah i posted then i just asked him and he told me basically the same ****. Thanks for the reply man!@

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
Still struggle with the timings of regular handoffs. Like, I'll always try and use the visual cue of the flash but I just can't land it unless it's on either the big body of Bowser of Peach who's just floaty as **** :/

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Still struggle with the timings of regular handoffs. Like, I'll always try and use the visual cue of the flash but I just can't land it unless it's on either the big body of Bowser of Peach who's just floaty as **** :/
I learned by practicing handoffs for 10-15 minutes a day, mixing up which characters I do it on every day (but more popular characters more often)
At first, you should be learning the general timing on pikachu, since he has the biggest frame window to preform it (mewtwo works too, but his tail will sometimes push you backwards).

but yeah if you just practice for a little bit every day you can get it down pretty fast.

R.I.P.

Smash Cadet
Does anyone have more tips for following audio/visual cues for this? Specifically for knowing when Nana is doing the throw. For example, do you grab before or after she says "Ya!" and how long before/after?

Smog

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone have more tips for following audio/visual cues for this? Specifically for knowing when Nana is doing the throw. For example, do you grab before or after she says "Ya!" and how long before/after?
I also have trouble with nana's throw. I usually walk really far forwawrd. I think I go to far, but it works. And yes it is right when you hear the ya you grab.

EDIT: For a visual I like to anticipate the hammer hitting the person.

Last edited:

R.I.P.

Smash Cadet
I also have trouble with nana's throw. I usually walk really far forwawrd. I think I go to far, but it works. And yes it is right when you hear the ya you grab.

EDIT: For a visual I like to anticipate the hammer hitting the person.
Hm so I should be aiming for immediately after the flash of light appears from Nana's hammer hitting?

Smog

Smash Journeyman
I think you want the grab to come out right when the flash appears, but there are a few frames input lag so you have to press a tiny tiny bit before. That's why I anticipate the hammer hitting. For me the visuals and sounds don't really matter. It just comes down to practicing and just feeling when you should press it.

derdian

Smash Cadet
One trick I found that works with samus- Have nana shield while popo has the grab. Press down to down throw with popo and spot dodge with nana at the same time. Hold z to buffer a grab after spot dodge. Samus gets re-grabbed every time.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
One trick I found that works with samus- Have nana shield while popo has the grab. Press down to down throw with popo and spot dodge with nana at the same time. Hold z to buffer a grab after spot dodge. Samus gets re-grabbed every time.
that's actually a really interesting method, I'll have to play around with that because samus is one of the characters that tends to give people a little more trouble with dthrow handoffs.

IC-Rambler

Smash Cadet
Anyone knows is this works with any other characters (or moves)? Or do I need to do some testing?

Cervidae

Smash Apprentice
@ IC-Rambler IC-Rambler
This handoff technique works on DK, Ganon, Samus, and Yoshi. Their weights are all very similar, which allows this timing to work. I know this works for NTSC, but Yoshi's weight in PAL is slightly different, but I'd be willing to bet dollars-to-donuts that it still works on him on PAL too.

Gerardito

Smash Rookie
2) Right after you hit down, press your shield and grab using A. The timing on this is also tricky, but a bit less so. If you screw up, Nana will dodge.
Is there some sort of frame data about this timing?? Thanks in advance

Top Bottom