• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Ledge Chain-grabbing / The Handoff FAQ

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Against an opponent who doesn't see it coming and doesn't DI, wouldn't fthrow > nana fair spike be a fun way to finish off the ledge chain grab?

Binx

Smash Master
lol its a fun way to finish off anyone at anytime if you think you can pull it off, obviously a smash is safer. But if its a friendly why not go for it.

Meme

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
6939 6733 3968
Really useful guide... It's really tricky at the beginning but I got used to it with several characters... maybe except for marth

D:

Here's another vid

It's nothing compared with the frame perfect one... just did it to test the quality of EasyCap

PEEF!

Smash Hero
That should be able to work at a ledge if you are facing backwards and can't reverse dthrow dair

ShootingStars

Smash Apprentice
can someone help me with this? i tried it with DK and i tried regrabbing DK at the green blink when you dthrow him, before that, and a bit after... i cant get the timing right... :(

kk guys im getting the timing, just keep forgetting the regrab... this is gonna take a WHILE

ShootingStars

Smash Apprentice
Really useful guide... It's really tricky at the beginning but I got used to it with several characters... maybe except for marth

D:

Here's another vid

It's nothing compared with the frame perfect one... just did it to test the quality of EasyCap
hey can anyone help me on the regrab? i always seem to regrab with popo wrong...
I tried right before hammer hits, and when the hammer hit... all failed :urg: any tips on the timing?

SoiGreg

Smash Journeyman
I was doing this in a match against a level 3, I throw with popo, nana hammers (Neutral A), and then popo regrabs. Does this work?

Facepalm

Smash Cadet
Heres some information from a random IC main but when i do handoffs, depending on the character would depend on when i regrab after a downthrow or forward throw. So to say when I downthrow a fox, his falling speed is pretty fast so in terms of regrabbing i just JC grab the instant i started my downthrow and it normally pulls off. The same goes for G&W and jiggs. In terms of characters like samus and link I was able to handoff those characters by keeping an eye on when they are on the ground after a downthrow. I cant record videos to show you but basically you should be able to see them literally lying on the ground after a down throw. Just regrab them during that time before they bounce back up.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
For Fox, Jiggs and G&W, my own method is to grab using R+A since it cancels the crouch. But whatever works consistently, keep doing :)

inditled

Smash Apprentice
because you have to move forward a little with nana to catch a fthrow and you can just stand still for a dthrow, it just saves space which can allow you to rack up more damage with chaingrabs.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I do fthrow-only handoffs on characters that I'm terrible at doing the dthrow handoff on. Ease of use is a factor I take into account since I can be a little sloppy under pressure.

Also, I like Wobbles' idea of shield-grabbing with Nana on the lighter characters. I used to just JC grab, but sometimes I'd hit Y too early and Nana would jump and nair; with the shield grab, it doesn't matter how early you hit the trigger.

smakis

Smash Ace
not hard at all even if she doesnt pummel, just move forward as soon as she regrabs

i prefer not doing anything at all when i handoff, in order to not drop down when on a plattform i just learned to press down without nana crouching

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
not hard at all even if she doesnt pummel, just move forward as soon as she regrabs
Are you sure? F-throw has more lag than d-throw so it might actually not be possible on certain characters. I'll look at frames eventually to see if it's true though.

smakis

Smash Ace
even if they are larger and produce more ending lag on the fthrow for popo wouldnt that just increase the startup for nana?

I could be wrong, i prefer the dthrow anyways

GawdImFoxy

Smash Journeyman
I'm starting to alt IC's and I have a couple quick, fairly generalized, questions about this tech.

First, at what point does percent affect the timing of the Nana regrab? Maybe I trick myself into thinking this, but it seems like it throws off my timing when the target is above 100%'ish.

I can sometimes get the regrab on Puff, but I can't seem to get the timing right. I can make Popo downthrow without Nana crouching; that's not the issue. My issue is the timing. Sometimes I feel like I use the same timing, but don't get the same results. I read that Wobbles Shield Grabs Puff and Fox, so I'm gonna go try that now to see if it works for me. Albeit I don't think it solves my problem, it's worth a shot.

On a slightly off-topic note, how does the reverse d-air CG work? I keep hearing about it but I haven't seen any tutorials or anything. Is it just a Nana d-air really far forward to the point that it pushes the character behind Popo to set up for the regrab? Also, are there any characters I should be using this against vice the standard d-throw d-air CG? The first thing that comes to mind is floaties, but there's a reason I'm not an IC's main.

And one more thing. How feasible is a Popo d-throw -> Nana Jab to set up for a Popo regrab?

Thanks in advance guys. I really appreciate it. And I'm sorry for the off-topic questions.

Edit: One more question... I'm having trouble getting the timing for the Popo regrab if Nana doesn't pummel. Any suggestions? Should I always ASSUME she's not going to and get set-up before she does anything? It just kinda takes me by surprise usually, so I panic.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
As your opponent's percentage increases, they'll fly away faster after Popo releases them, so the window to regrab is smaller. The timing isn't any different, but you have less and less leeway, so it's easier at lower percentages.

For Puff you press Z almost immediately after d-throw. Wobbles only shieldgrabs because if you press Z while Nana's crouching, she'll d-tilt, but if you can throw without crouching it doesn't make a difference. If you miss the regrab, just do it faster; the grab probably comes a lot sooner than you think (it's not quite simultaneous, but you have to hit Z before she hits the ground).

That's exactly how the reverse d-air works; it just sends them the other way, and you can turnaround grab them instead of dashing forward. It's best against Ganon and Falcon, who both have a really hard time escaping. You can do it on Falco, but the timing is harder and it isn't really necessary. It's usually better than normal d-throw against semi-floaties, but they can still escape by di'ing up and jumping out. Try to react to their di--you can u-tilt if they di upwards and regrab otherwise (best against characters like Marth/Peach/Samus, doesn't work against Jigglypuff/Luigi/really floaty characters).

Edit: One more question... I'm having trouble getting the timing for the Popo regrab if Nana doesn't pummel. Any suggestions? Should I always ASSUME she's not going to and get set-up before she does anything? It just kinda takes me by surprise usually, so I panic.
Yep, just pretend she's never going to pummel and move forward a little immediately after the regrab. If you practice a lot you'll eventually start finding it easier to react.

GawdImFoxy

Smash Journeyman
Hmm.. That's been working for me for awhile now. I'm gonna try to work on that reverse d-air CG. It seems pretty useful considering I can't do a whole lot to floaties without a reasonably reliable CG. I'm starting to learn to rely less on grabs, and more on general moves. It seems like jab combos into grab a lot of times, and if it doesn't, it makes for a nice mix-up.

Top Bottom