• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Learn Your Good Matchups

Rykard

Smash Ace
I'm making this thread mainly because i feel it is so obvious that people almost overlook it entirely in this game. The basis behind this is that i feel as if people believe that certain matchups in this game are almost "auto-wins" for their character that they never even bother to learn exactly why it is that their character is good at that matchup.

The best example that i can think of that i always hear people talk about as being at a huge disadvantage for one character is the Peach vs. Ice Climbers matchup. Normally, people refer to this as being pretty free for Peach, yet, against a more experienced Ice Climbers player, it can sometimes prove a problem for the Peach. The reason for this is that most Ice Climber players study this matchup because it is considered bad for them. Therefore, even though it is worse for the Ice Climbers, they will be way more prepared when they have to play a Peach because they know everything they need to do to avoid the Peach tactics that make the matchup disadvantageous towards them.

On the other hand, because Peach players will generally think they don't need to do anything different outside their normal style of play, they will most likely lose. If they, however, actually took time to learn the matchup, then they can actually know what it is they need to exploit against the Ice Climbers to shut down everything they may have a chance at doing in the matchup.

This, of course, is just one example, but this is more or less just a public service announcement to the community, especially the beginners/mid level players trying to improve their game and learn all they can.

_Xanatos_

Smash Apprentice
Yes, all matchups are important. Easy ones, hard ones, in between. In the end, it comes down to how YOU are with the matchup. If IC's keep beating your Peach, you probably gotta work on the matchup lol.

_Xanatos_

Smash Apprentice
I didn't say you were. I meant in general. If a player has trouble against a particular character, work on the matchup, regardless of whether or not it's a good matchup.

Sephy95

Smash Lord
Everyone should really take the time to learn any match up even if they win. You never know if your opponent will do so.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
People not learning there match-ups is why playing low tiers is a bit easier than it should be.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
This is an important point. I keep beating Sheik & Falco players because they don't know the DK match-up. If you don't learn the match-ups in which you have an advantage, you forfeit that advantage, giving your opponent a chance to win.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Everyone's goal shouldn't be to beat your opponent, even in friendlies. You should aim to 4 stock them. It will really change how good you're playing if you aim for that.
Hyperbolic time chamber

Top Bottom