• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ Learn To Powershield!!! ~

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Wow this thread is fantastic, this is a must see for any Wolf player.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
It's soooooooo good. Why do I never get to see it done? I watch Wolf vids and I never see it done. *sigh*
You wanna advance Wolfs Metagame and don't even take posts seriously that may help? You do realize that punishing with fsmash is like one of the more important parts of Wolfs game, right? If you'd learn to Powershield a lot more moves you can make tons of match-up's a lot easier.

:059:

castorpollux

Smash Champion
It's soooooooo good. Why do I never get to see it done? I watch Wolf vids and I never see it done. *sigh*
You wanna advance Wolfs Metagame and don't even take posts seriously that may help? You do realize that punishing with fsmash is like one of the more important parts of Wolfs game, right? If you'd learn to Powershield a lot more moves you can make tons of match-up's a lot easier.

of course this is useful, but u can say this about any character. Ideally, i would love to powershield every single attack, but it's so much easier said than done. You have to be able to predict exactly what and when your opponent is gonna do a certain move if you are gonna powershield every single attack.

and if you reached this level where u can predict exactly what and when your opponent is gonna do a certain move, you pretty much already have him beat anyways.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
of course this is useful, but u can say this about any character. Ideally, i would love to powershield every single attack, but it's so much easier said than done. You have to be able to predict exactly what and when your opponent is gonna do a certain move if you are gonna powershield every single attack.

and if you reached this level where u can predict exactly what and when your opponent is gonna do a certain move, you pretty much already have him beat anyways.
Wolfs options OoS =/= any characters options OoS
How many characters do have a move that comes out in 5 frames, covers like a third of FD (exaggeration) and deals like 15% in the process again? Not many I guess. It such a waste not to make better use of it.

Also you said "ideally". I never said that but it's still worth practicing against common moves. You know like Marth fair. Shield it and nothing happens, Powershield it and you deal 15% and mess up his spacing/zoning game.
I'm not talking about every move and I'm not asking crazy things like Powershielding Snake ftilt/utilt everytime e uses. But most people don't even try to do it and many moves aren't that hard to learn the timing. I'm actually spending time myself mostly trying to get to Powershield as many moves as I can...and it helps so much.

The most important thing though is that the opponent can't prevent you from powershielding ... you say "ideally you want to Powershield every move". Okay, that won't work but if you're competitive (and I kow you are) you should try to become as good as possible and powershielding makes such a huge difference, especially for Wolf, that you're supposed to get better at it, if you wanna win. And that's what we want if we go to tourneys. What if you were able to reliably powershield Marths aerials, his ftilt, jabs and dtilt? Yea you could punish just basically every move he has...doesn't matter if it's random Marth #347378 or NEO.
Idk much about Melee but maybe some people thought M2K was crazy learning all that technical stuff. But he turned out to be the best. Back then some people maybe considered frame perfect stuff "too hard to learn" / "not worth it". But once you can do it, you have a massive advantage. I suggest you should at least try to learn the timing for most common moves cuz it makes a difference but nobody can tell cuz nobody tries.

Ppl say Brawl is Shallow, un-technical and too much character based but you know most people probably haven't invested a lot of time to get the powershield on as many moves as possible (watch DSF vs Snakeee @C3 and you'll see the difference between shield and powershield). And the powershield makes such a big difference for every move that comes

castorpollux

Smash Champion
point taken, it def. would be nice to learn how to powershield common attacks

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
point taken, it def. would be nice to learn how to powershield common attacks
Exactly. You know when we debate match-up's we always assume to be on "the highest" level. That would also mean that lots of powershields should be included.
I think a lot of Wolfs match-up's would be better if people tried to pwershield as well as possible.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Castor never said "I think you shouldn't learn it"...

Few things, if people start reacting to the Fsmash, they can SDI out of it for 5%, not 15.

Second, if they're a fair distance away (Say they use Marth's Fair) then it's going to take a while for the hitbox to actually get to them,s o it's not just 5 frames, it's actually more than that.

And if we're assuming high level play, wouldn't good players mixup their timing? Even if they didn't before, people learn fast, if they keep getting punished for using Marth's Fair via powershield, then they'll mixup their timing. So, I think Castor's point about prediction stands.

Powershielding doesn't change a matchup, it just allows you to punish better. Do well to keep that in mind.

Definitely worth learning.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
well in a match up discussion, we shouldnt assume that both players would powershield everything... i mean come on.. then every match up is even since nobody will approach

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
You powershield by pressing Up A left B, C-stick down and then finally both R triggers, now you have to do all of these commands within five frames of each other. THen, you will have this sort of field around you called a powershield, it blocks all attacks while you can attack them all you want.

However, due to the difficulty of execution, it's hard to do in high level play..

castorpollux

Smash Champion
You powershield by pressing Up A left B, C-stick down and then finally both R triggers, now you have to do all of these commands within five frames of each other. THen, you will have this sort of field around you called a powershield, it blocks all attacks while you can attack them all you want.

However, due to the difficulty of execution, it's hard to do in high level play..
ignore this post. i misread what arcpoint said

BRN

Smash Rookie
Can anyone explain me what DI is? >.<
and how to perform it...

mith132

Smash Apprentice

are you serious? This seems pretty much impossible to pull off in competitive play....so how long does the power shield frame last?

Dv8tor

Smash Journeyman
Isn't power shielding just tapping shield button a slight bit of frames before the attack lands, where it makes that ping noise? If you continually hit your shield over and over again it shows a gray sphere around your shield right before you go into normal shield which I always assumed was power shielding. Is this something different entirely?

Edit: This seems a little far-fetched, anyone know any videos showing this in action or is Arc just screwing with people?

choice_brawler

Smash Journeyman
are you serious? This seems pretty much impossible to pull off in competitive play....so how long does the power shield frame last?
20 frames or so, enough time to get in the Fsmash for sure. =)

arc is screwing with people
Nah, his description is the same way i do it. I guess you can do what dv8tor suggested instead, but i think it may be situational.

mith132

Smash Apprentice
Isn't power shielding just tapping shield button a slight bit of frames before the attack lands, where it makes that ping noise? If you continually hit your shield over and over again it shows a gray sphere around your shield right before you go into normal shield which I always assumed was power shielding. Is this something different entirely?

Edit: This seems a little far-fetched, anyone know any videos showing this in action or is Arc just screwing with people?
This is what I always thought power shielding was (and i guess it is)

@Arc....I can play brawl and do a lotta the things...but im not very technical so I don't really know the names for a lot of the ATs that I do which is why i believed you...though I'm not sure if powershielding would be an at

Dv8tor

Smash Journeyman
Wow, people even CONSIDERED what I said to be fact. I don't think I made it absurd enough.
Oh, I'm sorry that I actually consider what you say since you are a more experienced player than I am and I thought you would try to help us instead of this.

choice_brawler

Smash Journeyman
Oh, I'm sorry that I actually consider what you say since you are a more experienced player than I am and I thought you would try to help us instead of this.
Yea, no more telling jokes.
jk

How would you even go about practicing to power shield? Whenever i power shield its not intentional unless its a projectile. You gotta have some good read on your opponent i'd imagine or they'd need to be doing some obvious tactics.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
I'll clarify what gheb means.

LEARN TO POWERSHIELD METAKNIGHT's

Glide attack
d-smash
f-smash

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
lol marsulas you're really stupid. Read the long post I wrote to castor...if you still don't get it you're just plain dumb. If it's so obvious, why isn't everybody learning it? It's not useless at all. Everybodys riding on Wolfs punishing game yet people don't even try to learn sth that guarantees them a free fsmash at least 75% of the time. On the other hand everybodys complaining about his Metagame being on a standstill ... no wonder even people don't even try to do the most basic stuff.

But at least castor seems to understand it's improtance...

-Mars-

Smash Hero
This didn't require a whole thread to be made, hell all of the characters in the game wouldn't do bad with a little more powershielding. I understand how good Wolfs punishment game is but if Wolf players are to dumb to have already realized that and they require a one sentence thread to get the message across......then i'm very amused.

Dv8tor

Smash Journeyman
Would playing a level nine and only trying to time powershields work as practice, or is it all just reactionary movements?

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Marth has an invincible Up B and Wolf doesn't. I wonder why Marth has a better OoS game than Wolf...

Also, does Marth's bair hit MK OoS?

And I think that OoS is irrelevant with powershielding because you can perform anything ASAP.

AssaultX

Smash Apprentice

That ridiculous input reminds of inputs for the F-Zero GX ATs. Those ones were about as hard to perform as the Melee Yo-Yo Glitch haha.

But Dv8tor's got it just right. But how many frames does the shield come up in?

Patinator

Smash Champion
Guys, stop spamming.

Gheb, this is pretty good advice. If it weren't for the fact Powershielding's so tough to do manually, I'd slam pies in the faces of every Wolf main but you and castor.

Maybe this could make F-Tilt and U-Tilt have a better rep. :bee:

Dv8tor

Smash Journeyman
I thought we were friends Patinator!

By the way this is very solid advice, performing powershields is an instinct that some people have and others have to work on, myself being the latter. I'm currently working on getting powershields down since they are maybe 2 frames and hard to pull off in an instant between attacks and such so I'm trying to make it muscle memory like the boost smash.

Great job Gheb.

Top Bottom