• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Latch MAX!!!- Olimar target practice (Update Pit)

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
woa, that's a combo on Rob? I gotta try that sometime. imagine a white latch, woa.

Off topic: I post too much...

Dotcom

Smash Lord
I just love the face on my friends face when he uses JIggly puff or ike. With Jiggly he loves rolling out so usually I run in do a latch, he just spins in the air and falls. Next thing he knows he's up an additional 40 something percent because of a combo.

Samething with Ike's Side B, and ended up with like 5o% because I had about 3 whites.
was going to try latching against Sonic but my friend got mad and left because these were $10 Money Matches. Sigh people should wise up.

BTW keep going Hyde this Topic is like Awesome +4.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've pretty much begun to study this data...who's next?

Dotcom

Smash Lord
I'm glad I bumped this because when you think about it this topic is just so informative it's supid.

if I could interject could we do Pit next because this is the person that I could help with most.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Thanks Mr. Hyde you awesomeness is unrivaled.
By The Way if you announce who you are thinking of working on next us as a community(especially myself) could help you out when you are stressed and tired.
Like in the R.O.B. case the more people working on that the faster it could be available to everyone :).
But if you want to keep it solo that's more than cool with me.

Kabuto Mushi

Smash Journeyman
Can you guys work on Luigi/Mario next? I'd be intresting, 'cause I fight a tough Bros. user. :embarrass

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
sure Mario it is, I'll see what I can do about Luigi as well

Protoman-

It's not that I want to do it solo its just if people want to try and do it then I have to double check for anything that might have been missed or is wrong. Not saying that it happens all the time but it would just not be helpful.

If you feel the need to try what I try here is the system that I use.

1) Find all possible latch areas of the target. It's helpful to have someone move the target around but if you're solo, like when I do it you have to just do practice mode and check.

Q: How do you know that you have hit every latch area?
A: Once you have fired a pikmin in just about every single direction you will find that there are a finitely many areas that can be latched. The hard part is double checking if some of those points are able to be targeted "Latchable." Ex. Samus has two different arms that can be latch each with a different effectiveness.

This is why I am not doing Jigglypuff yet. I found only 3 latch areas, I'm certain there are at least four. If I'm wrong then my data is useless.

I am also questioning my earlier work on Snake though I feel that I covered his target spots well.

2) Go through all possible attacks the target has with a pikmin latched at each.
The reason this step is the most annoying is that there are latch areas that are hard to get to that you have to recreate for every attack. Most characters have only 17 attacks, some have less. When you have to get a latch area, like the foot, 17 times it gets tiresome.
Best way I know of doing this is that I latch one area and use the target's attack, jab for example, and see if it removes the pikmin. I then latch the next area and use the same attack for the target. See how this is tiresome lol. The reason I finished Pit so easily was he had only 4 latch areas, five if you count a glitch wing latch that I was seldom able to replicate and dissmissed as a effective ltach target, times that by 15, the number of moves that can remove pikmin ( Down B, B, and Up B don't remove pikmin) and you get 60. Thats the minimum number of trials you have to do to check for each latch areas and hit.

Now for example why I am putting off on R.O.B.
8 places (Left Clamp, Right Clamp, Torso, Front Hover, Back Hover, Head, Chest, Back) and has 16 moves that can remove pikmin, well a minimum with perfect accuracy means I have a minimum of 128 tests. Considering how many times I would have to try again to get the right spot you'd be frustrated.

So once you've done this you should have a nice chart made up, usually I make mine (areas x moves) which is usually a 5x16 chart. Mark the ones that hit and then post the info and what not on the forum.

This is how I've done all the characters as of late.

I appreciate the offer to help but unless this method is followed to the T you may get differing results. I am already questioning how I got the 5th lath on Pit but unless I can find it easily in a match I won't add it. Personally I think it was latched to his halo.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
I am convinced and I will definitely try to help you because if you think about it to even attempt to do 38 charcters by yourself is very tiresome, and I think i'm smart enough to follow your directions.
The only thing delaying me right now is that I need a new copy of brawl(my cousin broke mine :( )
Also I was wondering when you try all of this out, how do you determine which Pikmin is the most effective?
Like besides the obvious like Pikachu = yellow Pikmin, are their pikmin that are more resistant to moves. Like for example onToon Link say for example latching a red makes his bomb blow up in his face, but Blue resists his Jab (just saying). Which one would you determine as the more effective. Better Idea when I finish do the research I will leave a notes along with it saying which Pikmin I think is the most effective in the matchup and you can see which one it really is if i'm wrong.

Thursday I think i'm going to try Ice Climbers with my friend because that's whom he plays with a lot It might be harder because of the fact that it's two people but I think I can do it.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
when I try and find what is the most effective pikmin I look at what can stay on the longest and what harasses the most. Obviously for Falco a yellow on the laser's path is the best for saving you.

The thing about IC's is if you latch one on there is another IC next to them which will knock it off. But, if there's just one IC then I think you are fine to check that out. Trying latch on two IC's is just going to be a waste of time for the most part. You are only winning if you kill the sister IMO.

I'll be on the Mario late today.

DarkStraw

Smash Apprentice
If pikmin are walking back on the ground they stop sheiks needles (any color) purples walk slowest of course so i would think they would be best.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
If pikmin are walking back on the ground they stop sheiks needles (any color) purples walk slowest of course so i would think they would be best.
When the pikmin are walking back to you they are not "under your control" so they will take hits for you, like needles, Ike's F+B and even a DK Punch. By the way I'm sorry I haven't updated or worked on anything. College is getting busy again.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Just saw this thread and I found it interesting, so I'll help out in reards to the characters I play as.

Against Kirby, the best pikmin to throw would be the purple, because Kirby's bair wil instantly kill any latched pikmin anywhere on his body. Therefore, throw pikmin that dont latch.

Stick with reds against ROB, as nair>non-red pikmin. Aim really low, so none of his aerials can kill it

I have no idea for Sheik or Zelda though. Any can work, but both characters' d-smashes should get rid of all pikmin (except maybe headshots)

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Hyde *cries* is no longer with us BUT! when I buy another Brawl I will try to continue the great Hyde's work,\. Any requests on who I should start first? NOT MK!

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
I love this thread. One other small thing (purely for casual play [that means with items on]) If you throw a red pikmin on a character holding a bomb or a fire box, the pikmin will blow up the explosive. I'm not sure how well that works against Link and Toon Link when holding a bomb but something I think i'll check out when i get home :D

Top Bottom