• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LasT Smash 4 - Nov. 28-29 - Sat=Singles; Sun=Teams+Melee

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Laser Tag (LasT) Smash 4

Alright! It's time to get the next LasT Smash underway! I know the previous one could have been better. I decided to experiment with Swiss pools before, and that didn't work at all. This time, we're back to round robin pools. This means things should be a whole lot simpler.

Changes:
11/23/09:
-Confirmed to keep teams on Sunday.
-Melee added to Sunday (interest provided)
-Added ledge grab limit (50)/ modified tie breakers for games that run out of time
-Dropped Pirate Ship from CP list

10/13/09:
-Changed Starter list. Moved Delfino/Siege and Lylat to CP.
-Updated Schedule. All of Singles will be on Saturday and Teams plus side events on Sunday.

Important Stuff:
1. This is a two day tournament.
2. There is now a venue fee of $10. It is waived with a FULL (Wii/Brawl/TV) setup that's provided for BOTH days.
3. The tournament will take all day Saturday, and probably all day Sunday.
4. Housing/ Attendance/ Equipment info is in the second post.
5. Check the end of the second post for my questions to you.

Dates/ Schedule:

Saturday, November 28, 2009 = Singles
11:00am - Doors open.
~11:30am - Singles registration begins.
~12:30pm - Singles Pools begin.
In Between - Singles Bracket*
~10:00pm - Pickup/ leave for the night.

Sunday, November 29, 2009 = Teams & Side Events
11:00am - Doors open & Teams registration/ Singles check-in begins.
~12:00pm - Teams Bracket begins.
After teams - Side events
~9:00pm - Tournament ends.

*If needed, the Singles Bracket will be finished the following day. If it runs over, I hope to only have the top 12 or so left in the bracket. However, I do plan to get everything done on time. This is just a contingency plan.

Fees:

-Venue fee = $10
-Brawl Singles = $10
-Brawl Teams = $10 a person/ $20 a team
-Both members of a team MUST register [pay] at the same time!
-NO refunds on entry fees. Don't register if you don't want to enter.
-50/25/15/5 /2.5-2.5 cash split; 100% of entry fees will go into the pot.

Side events:
We might have the time/ ability to host a side event or two. I don't know yet, but if we do, Brawl matches will have priority over any and every side event match if a player needs to report to both. Brawl singles and teams are the focus here, and that's what I will focus on finishing.

Melee
-

$5 entry

Standard-y rules. I'll get a stage list soon. It'll probably be taken largely from the SBR rules or old MLG ruleset.
Other
-

-max $5 entry
-Brawl crews, low tier, random, or one of those as teams. Time dependent.

Venue information:

Laser Tag of Baton Rouge
5871 S. Sherwood Forest Blvd.,
Baton Rouge, LA 70816
Phone: (225) 303-0386

NO OUTSIDE FOOD OR DRINKS ALLOWED

General Info:

-NO OUTSIDE FOOD OR DRINKS
-Watch your language! Laser Tag is a family establishment.
-As organizer, I reserve the right to modify or change rules in order to accommodate the tournament's needs. I will notify players accordingly should a change be made on the day of the tournament.
-Similarly, as an organizer, I want this to be the best tournament possible. If you think something could be better, tell me how. We'll go from there.
-Singles will consist of seeded Round-robin pools followed by a seeded by pools double-elimination bracket.
-Teams will consist of a seeded (to the extent teams can be seeded) double-elimination bracket.

A note on Pools:
I have not decided on pool size, the number of pools, or if pools will be best 2/3 or just 2 games. This will depend largely on turnout and the number of setups available. I will favor 2/3 sets over just 2 games, so if there is a reasonable way to incorporate this, then that's what will happen. My ultimate goal, though, is to finish Singles on Saturday so people who can only make Saturday will not have to worry.

Rules:

KNOW THESE! I will hold every player responsible for knowing the rules. If you play a game on a stage you didn't know was banned, TOO BAD. No matches will be replayed due to ignorance of the rules.

Know the rules.

-3 stock; 8:00
-If time runs out, then the player may check the number of ledge grabs. If one player has more than 50 grabs (50 is a safe number, 51 is not), then he/ she loses the game. If both or neither player has broken this limit, then the game is decided by stock then percent. If there is still a tie, a 3:00, one stock game is played on the same stage.
-Team attack on
-no items
-best 2/3, Winner's, Loser's, and Grand Finals are 3/5
-Bring your own controller
-advanced slob picks
-Stage striking for first pick (players may agree on a stage or random)
-Stage bans: each player may ban one stage after stage striking occurs
-Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: a player/ team may not pick a stage that he won on previously in the set
-For Ganon and Bowser, it will always count as a win. For everyone else, a definite win or loss means a win or loss. Sudden Death means the person who initiated the suicide move gets the win.
-Team Color Rule-If a team has Lucario or Sonic on it, they get to be blue.
-Team ports will be 1221. Play R-P-S or flip a coin to decide if there is a disagreement.
-We'll call your match at least 3 times. If you haven't show within 5, maybe 10 minutes, you lose.

No Excessive stalling. End infinites no later than 300%. The Infinite dimensional cape and extended dimensional cape are banned.

HACKS:

Do not load ANY Brawl hacks unless you clear it with me first. The only hacks I will allow are custom music, infinite replays, and tags in replays. Nothing else unless you hear it from me first. Thanks.

STAGE STRIKING:

We will use STAGE STRIKING to start the set. NOT RANDOM (unless both players agree). Basically, Player A chooses one stage from the Starter list that he doesn't want to play. Player B picks a stage he doesn't want from the remaining list. Players A & B alternate until only one stage is left. This is the stage for the first match.

Stage List
------------
Starter:
FD, Battlefield, Smashville, Yoshi's, Pokemon Stadium 1

Counterpick:

Halberd, Brinstar, Delfino, Siege, Lylat, Frigate, Rainbow Cruise, PS2, Pictochat, Norfair, Jungle Japes

Banned:
The rest

As usual, I am open to suggestions. Let me know if I've forgotten anything or you think something should be addressed/ changed. I'm willing to hear you out.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Housing:

Can house:
New Orleans:
Ran Iji - 3 spots

Let me know if you can house!

In addition to whatever housing people can offer, there are a few nearby hotels that are fairly cheap. If there's serious interest (I'd probably need to fill at least 10 rooms), I'll look into getting a group rate. Right now, I think nearby hotels are ~$60/night total.

Attendees:

This is a list of everyone who said they're interested. I'll update this now and again.

Total ESTIMATED Attendance: 41 = $410 pot

Louisiana:
FakeGeorge
Sudai
Jiovanni
Curlz
Tri-Hex
Jnig
Ran Iji
NiTEZ
Lee Martin
Hyro
RJ Punch
Nikz0r
Oathkeeper
bsltiger
Ever_Power
Veaz
Sarah
Cows
David
Turazrok
Blaise
byronsterling
Li-D

Texas:
Esca
Ozz
Gnes
Jerm
CY (?)
UltimateRazer (?)
Ladybug
Kates
Badnewbear
Zigsta
Smoom(?)
Bwett

Florida:
Ruse
B_AWAL (?)

Georgia:
Biglou
Lord Rayku
kismet
T3h Albino
Serin

Alabama:
DanGR
Reflex
I SEE YOU

Equipment:

We NEED AT LEAST 16 setups for this to work well. That's 16 Wiis/Brawl/TVs.

Total Setups = 14
TVs = 14 (16)
Wiis = 14 (16)
Brawl = 14 (16)
Power Strips = 9

Who's bringing what:
Fakegeorge: 2x Wii/ Brawl, 3 TVs, 3 powerstrips
Jiovanni: Wii/ Brawl, TV, powerstrip
Ruse: Wii/ Brawl, TV
Esca: Wii/ Brawl, TV, 3 powerstrips
Curlz: 2x Wii/Brawl, 2 TVs, powerstrip
Ran Iji: Wii/ Brawl, TV
Zigsta: TV
Oathkeeper: TV, Wii/ Brawl
blstiger: Wii/ Brawl, powerstrip
David: TV, Wii/ Brawl
Smoom: TV, Wii/ Brawl (?)
Serin: Wii/ Brawl
Arcadia: Wii/ Brawl, TV
Hyro: Wii/ Brawl, TV
Kates: Wii/ Brawl, TV (??)

Current Questions:
1. I definitely want 7 starter stages. I'm not sure which one I should put for as the 7th, Delfino or Siege. Which one do you want to see?

2. What should I consider for side events if it looks like there's time? Crews? Melee? Brawl+? Balanced Brawl? Pokemon? Something else?

3. Who would be interested in staying at a hotel right down the street from Laser Tag if we can't house everyone in Baton Rouge, which seems likely?

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
Current Questions:
1. I definitely want 7 starter stages. I'm not sure which one I should put for as the 7th, Delfino or Siege. Which one do you want to see?

2. What should I consider for side events if it looks like there's time? Crews? Melee? Pokemon? Something else?

3. Who would be interested in staying at a hotel right down the street from Laser Tag if we can't house everyone in Baton Rouge, which seems likely?
1.honestly both delfino and siege are OP for a few chars. You would be better of with 6 or cutting PS1 and making it 5 (even better option). But if you have to pick Siege is a better option. Delfino is too far over the Counterpick medium to be a starter.

2.Brawl+ or Melee would be nice. I would consider coming for both of those.

3.If I couldnt get housed it would be nice.

Esca

Smash Champion
Supplies List:

1 Wii
1 TV
1 Brawl
3 Powerstrips.

3rrd post! I'm coming to this. Guaranteed.

Now, I'm saying this for most people I know.

1) I think there should only be 5 starters. LA is the only state i've seen to ever do 6 or 7, and 5 is definately better.

You can't get gayed by wall infinites/walk-offs. Glitches really don't happen in the stage, (castle seige), and characters shouldn't automatically be benefitted by the first match in a set.

Battlefield/Fd/Smashville/PS1/Yoshi's should really be the only starters.

2) In my opinion, you should make this Brawl singles/doubles and either a low tier event, or crews. I'd prefer crews. Crews hype the tournament alot more, and it's very interesting to see counterpicks and diversity among players, rather than most smashers being too "smashed out" for another real event.

3) I'll prolly stay with RickyB, so this doesn't apply to me.

On a better, more positive note; I can't wait to see another successful Louisiana tournament and hope that this is even bigger and better than LasT3!

Good Luck Randall!

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
I know you'll have somewhere close to stay Sudai, but I do want Houma/ NOLA/other La. people to consider #3 if they don't want to drive an hour or two Saturday night just to come back the next day.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
Sexy tourney as always. I prefer siege over delfino, delfino negates spikes...not all that counterpicky but moreso than castle siege IMO. I think crews/draft crews would be cool as far as a possible side event. I can bring a wii, brawl, a tv, and a powerstrip. I might be able to bring two setups, but I'll have to get back to u on the second one. Housing is a no go for me though, roomies don't like randoms in the living room :(

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
I figured, but I thought it'd be good to remind anyone else who might read that. It was a good opportunity for me to throw it in.

Ruse

Fox
Yessssssssss.

Who's housing me?

F*** a side event. That crap just gets in the way.

I'll be bringing a full set-up for both days.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
The one time you don't have a tourney to start on Saturday is this one? :(

This will be very very hard for me to go since its Saturday and Sunday...probably won't have money to fly...

Curlz

Smash Lord
I'm attending along with my friend Mychal (Tri-Hex)

We have 2 complete setups and a power strip with a possible 3rd wii+brawl. Also, we have 2 melee discs if needs for the possible side event.

1. I'd prefer Delfino over Seige, but I like KOkingpin's idea of taking off PS1 for only 5 starters.
2. Crews/Melee

Winnar

Smash Lord
I vote delfino over siege for starter. Also crews or melee.

Also also I might be able to go to this, but if I do it will most likely be only for the first day soooooo...I probably won't be entering, just attending. If I go.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Ruse, you're gonna try to get Manko, HolyChef, and Skater to come, right?

The one time you don't have a tourney to start on Saturday is this one? :(

This will be very very hard for me to go since its Saturday and Sunday...probably won't have money to fly...
What makes it tough for you? I can't change the date, but there might be something that we can do over here to make it easier for you to make it.

That goes for everyone, really. We want you in Louisiana, so we want to help you get here.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I'm in the same boat as my boy Winnar. I wanna enter the tournament soooo bad, but I have to fly back to Austin that Sunday. :(

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
OMG I CANT WAIT!

1) Turn PS1 into a CP. The more I play on it, the less neutral it seems.
2) (Draft?)Crews and Random singles and/or doubles!
3) I assume since it'd be thanksgiving holidays, I'll be in Metairie by this time, so MAYBE Arc and I would be up for housing people (this is NOT definite!). The main issue is the number of people that would be staying Saturday night, probably.

For pools, is it going to be best 2-out-of-3 against each person (like at my house), or is it just two rounds against each person (like at HOBO 17)? And do we need pool leaders? I'll volunteer to be one.

Sign me up!

Any MM's? My Wario vs. whatevs. $10 max.

-Ran

Smash Master
I should be able to house three or so people, pending their willingness to sleep on a futon + floor. [I live in a studio apartment after all. =p] Count me in for one full set up.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully i will make this, last was too much fun.
Do you still want to try teaming?

If i was in pcola its like a 4 hour drive..Now that im in GA its 8 hours...So its a negative for me..

:-(
What if you try getting a carpool together with some other people from Georgia? Biglou has already expressed interest in coming, and I imagine Reflex and kismet will try to make this. You could try talking to them or maybe driving to Pensacola and going from there with Ruse. If not, then I'll see you at the next Pensacola tournament.

I should be able to house three or so people, pending their willingness to sleep on a futon + floor. [I live in a studio apartment after all. =p] Count me in for one full set up.
That's great! I think we'll need all we can get for housing.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Seems like the two day tourney thing is kind of unpopular, at least during the school year and especially when most people have to get back home on that sunday :\

Lee Martin

Smash Ace
Put me down as a definite. Gnes, I hope you come so i can wreck you in singles with mk. ;). I love fighting diddy with mk. your just lucky i can't do it at hobo :o!

Hyro

Smash Lord
Lee, team with me. **** John.
Get off my partner son lol

Yeah it sucks that this is Sat+Sun since it's gonna be hard for a lotta people to come.

We have such an outdated stage list in LA. I vote for 5 neutrals, FD, SV, BF, YI and LC. And I think we should remove PS2 as a cp...it seems like such a joke of a level with the ice and the wind...lol

I'll definitely be here though.

Oh and I vote for Low Tier Singles as a side event.

Gnes

Smash Master
Put me down as a definite. Gnes, I hope you come so i can wreck you in singles with mk. ;). I love fighting diddy with mk. your just lucky i can't do it at hobo :o!
Oh really son? Now u can.

Hahaha mk is one of my worst matchups, u might win ;).

The trials of living in a pro-ban state.

Top Bottom