• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Laser Tag Mini Mafia Over: Gremlins are the Champs

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer

Welcome to Laser Tag Mini Mafia!

Pop Quiz: What's cooler than both lasers and systematically hunting down your closest friends in a cutthroat game of nonviolent destruction?

Trick question: There is nothing cooler, and that's Laser Tag!

Laser Tag Mafia is a 7 man mafia game with an open setup. Take on the role of a member of one of two hardcore Laser Tag teams as they compete for the crowning title of the local Laser Fun Zone™ annual Laser Tag Tournament. Compete as either the courageous Orange Ocelots or the dastardly Green Gremlins as they struggle for supremacy in the ultimate test of laser tag precision and skill. But be wary: take too many lasers to your weak points at once and you'll be left unable to fight until you've returned to your home base to re-activate your suit and gun.

Let's meet the teams:
Welcome to Laser Tag Mafia!

You are:

Playername: Orange Ocelot

You may not be the most tactically skilled at laser tag, but you're darn good at working as a part of a team. The whole of your strength is greater than the sum of it's parts, and you're not going to let any filthy cheaters take your rightfully earned Laser Fun Zone™ annual Laser Tag Tournament Champion title away from you without a fight.

Abilities:

Laser Gun:
During each night phase you may pick one player to fire your laser gun at. Any player who is hit by two or more lasers in the same night will be roleblocked of all abilities other than "Laser Gun".

Win Condition:

You are Orange Ocelot aligned and win when all Green Gremlins have been eliminated.

You are:

Playername: Orange Ocelot Team Captain

You've been around the laser tag block so many times they named the soda machine out front after you. This year you've recruited a couple rag-tag teammates to fight by your side ever since you got bored of winning the Free For All Championship category. They're a little rough around the edges, but with your leadership they've flourished into a formidable force in the competition.

Abilities:

Laser Gun:
During each night phase you may pick one player to fire your laser gun at. Any player who is hit by two or more lasers in the same night will be roleblocked of all abilities other than "Laser Gun".

Check Your Corners: You've seen so many laser tag tricks in so many books that nary a stray laser sight passes by your gaze without your notice. During each night phase you may pick one player to keep your trained eye on. You'll be informed of any player they try and make a move against, laser or otherwise.

Win Condition:

You are Orange Ocelot aligned and win when all Green Gremlins have been eliminated.

You are:

Playername: Green Gremlin

You're incredibly skilled, there's no denying that. In fact you're sure you could win against just about anyone in an even fight. The only problem is you take winning at laser tag to such prickish extremes that no one wants to team up with you! After a long search however, you've paired up with the only other person in a 50 mile radius you could find who seemed to more than agree when you suggested you'd do 'anything' to win. The guy in charge of sign-ups tried to tell you you couldn't enter the tournament with a team of only two, but after you pulled out your switchblade to urge him to "reconsider" he graciously let you two enter anyways...

Abilities:

Laser Gun:

Taboo Tactics: During each night phase, you or your partner may choose one player to single out and eliminate from the game... bodily! Just don't let anyone see you do it! Funny how those fire doors only open one way, huh?

Win Condition:

You are Green Gremlin aligned and win when your faction equals or outnumbers the remaining Orange Ocelots or nothing can prevent this.

What are you waiting for? Grab your gear and lets go!
Players:
1. Orboknown
2. GiraffeLaserGun
3. Maven
4. JaytheUnseen
5. Gheb
6. SlickWylde
7. Rake

Replacements:
1. Zalak

Rules and Important Game Info
Rules

1. No communication about the game is allowed outside of this thread, unless your Role PM states otherwise.

2. No faking or quoting of mod communication.

3. No editing or deleting posts.

4. No ciphers, code, metadata or other similar encryption devices. This includes liking posts after death.

5. One "bah" post is allowed after death.

6. A (no) lynch will occur when a majority of bolded votes is reached. Twilight starts after hammer.

7. Deadline extensions may be granted due to unexpected events. Days generally last seven real life days or until a lynch.

8. Post at least once every 48 hours, (24 hours preferably), or you will receive a mod vote for the day. Multiple instances of this may result in forced replacement or modkill at my discretion. Modvotes cannot kill alone.

9. Modkills will end Day only for town-aligned players.

10. Failure to send in action(s) will result in no action(s) being taken.

11. Failure by Mafia to send in their nightly kill will cause the kill to be randomized.

12. Failure to adhere to any posting or role restrictions will result in a modvote. Modvotes cannot kill alone.

13. Have questions? PM me. Public ones? Ask in thread.

Voting and Lynching

1. Each Day, you may vote for a player to be lynched using a bold vote command. For example,vote: Ryker.

2. To unvote, use the command unvote. For example, unvote vote: Gova.

3. No lynch is a viable lynch choice and a majority will end the Day without a lynch. For example, vote: No Lynch.

4. The Day will end when a majority lynch is decided or a pre-set deadline has been reached. If deadline is reached without a majority lynch decided, there will be no lynch.

5. After the majority lynch has been decided but before the lynch scene is posted, there will be a Twilight phase. Everyone can post in this phase, including the lynch majority target. Twilight lasts as long as I feel like, or more realistically: as long as it takes me to find out a lynch has occurred. After the lynch scene is posted, the game will move to Night.

6. There is no posting in this thread during the Night phase

1. Please do not post in Laser Tag Referee Fluorescent Purple, 'das my color this game.

2. I confirm that all public and private mod-given information is strictly accurate.

3. This is an open setup, all roles included in the game are public knowledge and are visible to anyone at any time in the opening post (above).

4. All players have the ability to fire a laser at any one other player during the night phase. If two players hit another player during the same night that player will be role-blocked of all non-laser abilities including the mafia's factional kill.

5. The full set up is 2 Mafia goons vs. 4 Vanilla Town and 1 Town Tracker

Last edited:

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
i am too late rats
You'll be the first replacement if we need any.

The game is full and ready to roll, since everyone asked to in within ~24 hour stretch I don't think a confirmation phase will be necessary, Role PM's will go out shortly; after which I'll open this sucker up!

If you're reading this and you're not in but would LIKE to play, please feel free to sign up as a replacement. You'll be subbed in if anyone has unforeseen circumstances and can no longer play.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer

"Welcome y'all to the Laser Fun Zone™ annual Laser Tag Tournament Finals!"

"Lazy Eye" Pete, the local referee greets you all in the equipment room before the bout, never quite meeting everyone's gaze at once due to his infamous lazy eye.

"Now I'm sure as yall've come this far in the tournament you're all familiar with 'ta rules, but in case 'ya arn't there they are. I'll be holding you all to these so make sure you know 'em!"

Lazy Eye Pete points simultaneously at the rules list posted on the equipment room wall, as well as through space and time to the opening post of this mafia game thread. You begin to suspect Pete might be a wizard.

"If you do have any trouble 'wit em feel free to ask. And if you have any issues 'wit anyone breakin' 'em be sure to holler! If 'ya think someone is breaking 'em I'll eject 'em from the game if enough players agree they were misbehavin'."

You peer over at the Green Gremlins milling about on the other side of the equipment room. You get the distinct feeling you may need to be taking Pete up on that offer more than once before the match is over... but nonetheless you remain confident that no team with such a severe numbers disadvantage can stand up to the Orange Ocelots.

"Now I don't see so well ever since the Laser Misfire incident of '09... but I'll be the one in the purple up on the ref's stand. I'll also be in charge of the scoreboard, whichn' you'll find here and posted periodically throughout the playing field so you can check your standings."

"Now let's see some Laser Tag!"
Pete says with finality as all the players finish donning their gear and he ushers you through the door to the arena. You take your position next to your team at Orange Ocelot home base as the Green Gremlins file to theirs across the labyrinthine arena. A few seconds later, the home bases light up as a loud buzzer blares over the loudspeaker signaling the opening of the match.

You're off!

Following your part of the team strategy you peel off to the left to take overwatch on your high-ramp. Everything seems to be going to plan as you climb, no Green Gremlins have shown up to contest your vantage point, when suddenly you realize something is off...

Peering down at the rest of the arena you start counting the orange pinpoints as they flit between walls and cover:

"...three....four.... five??.... six!?"
But there are only five people on the team. Including you!

Suddenly, you realize what the Green Gremlins' dastardly plan must be.
They must have pilfered some vests in your color while Pete wasn't looking!
(Or maybe while he was looking... it's hard to tell with that guy)

Now it's going to be almost impossible to tell your real teammates from the Green Gremlins in the near-dark of the arena! And there's just no way Pete is ever going to notice anything is amiss, nor would he even believe you if you tried to tell him they intentionally took extra camouflage equipment while he was "watching"...

There's no two ways about it you guess.
You'll just have to do your best to sleuth out the impostors and make every shot count! The game is on either way!
But this is going to be a long one...

With 7 Players it takes 4 to lynch!
1. Orboknown
2. GiraffeLaserGun
3. Maven
4. JaytheUnseen
5. Gheb
6. SlickWylde
7. Rake

Not Voting: Everyone
Deadline is Midnight CST Tuesday the 30th!

Day 1 Begins!

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I had considered something like that but I'm not sure if it's a good idea. It runs the risk of provoking an unnecessary Tracker claim.

:059:

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
I'm kind of on the fence about whether or not we're public with the rbing. Like Gheb said we could cause the tracker to claim on accident, but I feel like there's also a lot of WIFOM that would come with doing it.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
I mean,
If we want to be effective woth it thats the only way to do it. Otherwise its pretty mich just a shot in the dark every night on if anybbody actually makes a match to it

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
What does RB mean? Lazern00b here. Also, how do we actually get evidence to find out who the Green Gremlins are? When I play Mafia in person, I usually look for hidden smiles, stuttering, that kind of stuff.

Shun Goku Satsu Rake

Oriwa Rake. Kaizo ko ni oriwa naru
What does RB mean? Lazern00b here. Also, how do we actually get evidence to find out who the Green Gremlins are? When I play Mafia in person, I usually look for hidden smiles, stuttering, that kind of stuff.
"find out who the Green Gremlins are?"

" find out who the Green Gremlins are? "

gg

Shun Goku Satsu Rake

but seriously its based on how you percieve someone's actions, interactions and reactions to things such as pressure / votes. How they push other players (their scum reads) and how they advance their reads and are generally townie.

Shun Goku Satsu Rake

also if the tracker tracks the ****ers to a dead dude and claims as such although doing so without knowing both scummers would be hella bad juju

Maven89

Smash Master
The main benefit of this set up to town is the increased chance of stopping a scum killl. It's a mini, just stopping their NK once would be a huge benefit, but if we publicly announce who is going to get blocked, then unless we somehow get both scum members in the pool we remove that benefit since they'll never pick a RB target to send in the NK. Plus with the way mafia games work, it's very unlikely we'll get the maximum of 3 players RB'd a night, so if there is a no kill we can just have everyone claim who they targeted last night and try to piece it together from there.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
The main benefit of this set up to town is the increased chance of stopping a scum killl. It's a mini, just stopping their NK once would be a huge benefit, but if we publicly announce who is going to get blocked, then unless we somehow get both scum members in the pool we remove that benefit since they'll never pick a RB target to send in the NK. Plus with the way mafia games work, it's very unlikely we'll get the maximum of 3 players RB'd a night, so if there is a no kill we can just have everyone claim who they targeted last night and try to piece it together from there.
That really makes sense. Thank you.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
FOS Orbo and Gheb
You're silly. It's not antitown to discuss how it might be used, because its an open setup using a tool that everyone has. Yeah, mafia knows who we are talking about rbing, but it also helps guarentee there is a rb. The lasers are useless if they don't hit in at least pairs, and talking over where they go is the way to do that
Especially in later game its definitely possible to not hit enough lasers on people because theres less to go around.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
As with any strategy, both have pros and cons. But, a clever scum team will kinda nullify the point of talking about who to roleblock.

Shun Goku Satsu Rake

The way i figure it is everyone should just pick a partner and then we rb in a circle. That leaves one person alone and one person unblocked.

1,2 > 3
3, 4 > 5
5,6 > 7

leaving 7 alone

even if mafia successfully roleblocks one of said roleblockers and manages to get a kill off by role blocking the person who tried to rb them, this still means the next day would be a 50/50 between the one person who was left unblocked, and the person who was rb'd at night.

Maven89

Smash Master
You're silly. It's not antitown to discuss how it might be used, because its an open setup using a tool that everyone has. Yeah, mafia knows who we are talking about rbing, but it also helps guarentee there is a rb. The lasers are useless if they don't hit in at least pairs, and talking over where they go is the way to do that
Especially in later game its definitely possible to not hit enough lasers on people because theres less to go around.
That is a good point about ensuring someone get's rb'd, I was just thinking statistically with 5 town it's very likely 2 or more will share the same scum read on a person. If it should be done it shouldn't be done on day 1 at least

Top Bottom