• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Laptop recommendations?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I'm going to college next year, and I need a laptop. I've been looking at the Gateway NV7915u, but I'm still open to suggestions. I'm looking for a laptop that can play high-end video games (on the lowest video settings) that is relatively cheap.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Uh. That's helpful, I guess. It certainly narrows down my search.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Something very high spec that will last you for your entire time at college.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
although at an apple store, you can get a free ipod when you buy a mac. i think thats pretty cool

Geist

Smash Master
I was going to say alienware mx11, but then I saw 'not expensive'.

I'd vote for an Acer. You definitely don't want a mac or an hp.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Dells are reliable and are reasonably priced.

I've had my Inspiron 1525 since this time last year and It's never ever given me problems.

I have it on for days on end too.

Also my dad has owned 2 Acers and they both died from overheating issues.I'd be careful with them.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Inspiron 1525 has fantastically bad user reviews on cnet. Editors say it's decent.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I have an Acer and it's been running beautifully for a bit over a year now.

It was pretty high spec when I got it so I'm more than happy with it right now.

Seed of Sorrow

Smash Champion
Google "recommended computer specs for college students at [school name]." For example, here is my specific college's recommendations http://www.nd.edu/~engineer/prospects/compreq.htm and here is for general university students http://oit.nd.edu/start/specs.shtml. Once you have that, then just get any computer you'd like :)

Edit: Sorry you weren't looking for specs.

I have a dell studio. I love it, but it's had a few problems, OS wise. I run vista and have crashed a few times, but nothing a little engineering and tweaking couldn't fix :). Now it runs incredibly! I recommend the studio because it has an amazing sound system. I've also heard good things about Dell XPS systems.

Edit2: Also, most likely your computer will have good enough specs for gaming, and the main limiting factor would be the graphics card which you can change for different prices.

Just for your reference: http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/f76/computer-specs-gaming-184198/

A.Turner

Smash Rookie
Oh dear. I was thinking of getting me an ipad. Anyone here has experience with an ipad? I like the small size and the tablet format.

Tacel

Smash Lord
Macs are overpriced and horrible
No. Highly priced because of it's high quality.
The only thing that's bad about Macs is that they aren't good for games (except for Spore :p). Other than that, it's probably the best in other aspects (word documents, powerpoints, organizing...).

EDIT: Macs are great with security and they won't crash. They're worth the money.

evileric

Smash Apprentice

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
help guys! XD also, bump

I don't really know much about computers so haha...I could really use some help.

I'm starting my second year of university this fall and i'm looking towards a new laptop. The one I have now is a hp pavillion dv2000 but its pretty old, slow as slow can get and it can't handle most programs which is obviously a problem. It also overheats all the time and sounds like a jet plane taking off in the middle of the south african world cup stadium.

So yeah, i'd like one thats affordable, relatively light, and is just all in all a better laptop haha. I don't care too much about PC gaming. Any ideas? I'm in civil engineering if that helps give you an idea on what would be appropriate, if at all. haha =p

Top Bottom