• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Landmaster...

3rdDegreeBernie

Smash Rookie
This whole post might be pretty noobish, so beware.

I find that landmaster (especially Falco's) is broken. that final smash can easily get you two kills (in a 1 on 1). others can of course if you're good like snakes or sonics, but... is there really any way to get away from landmaster? once you run them over or shoot them to death, just hold up and a slow character is practically stuck on top of it until a second early death. if you run off, the landmaster can drop on you and block you off the edge for two easy KOs that took no skill or effort whatsoever...

at least in melee when someone got waveshined or shinespiked, it was because the player had skill with fox/falco. the two remain good characters imho, but its because of landmaster's ridiculous brokenness. does anyone agree or can anyone offer me help as to how to deal with landmaster?

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Don't get on top of it...
And it's too slow on the ground to be threat(it can kill you, but it's easily avoided).

Plasmaexe

Smash Apprentice
If you die, stay on the floating hologram for as long as you can <__<. You really shouldn't be dying twice, you do get that invincibility when you start your next stock.

3rdDegreeBernie

Smash Rookie
thank you to those who have posted. my problem is, once i come back, it just rises up and carries me to the ceiling. -_- sometimes i can stall enough before the first kill so that LM wares out b4 the second but.. usually not

NeoZ

Smash Ace
If you die, stay on the floating hologram for as long as you can <__<. You really shouldn't be dying twice, you do get that invincibility when you start your next stock.
It can carry you upwards even if you stay on the floating platform.
The thing is, fast characters should be able to get off quickly enough.

3rdDegreeBernie

Smash Rookie
heh, thats just it. a lot of the time im using dedede. i guess ill just use lucario or use falco myself at that point xD once i get off... it will probably just land on me though.

Viroxor

Smash Ace
Don't play against Fox, Falco, or Wolf on one of the small levels like Final Destination, Skyworld, Battlefield, ect. You'll most likely lose, especially if they get their FS. Really, the best other advice I can give you is don't let them get the Smash Ball.

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
I love getting the smash ball in a random wi-fi match because I imidiatiley use the landmaster and it's funny to watch them get on top and me and stand there thinking they'll be safe. Then I fly to the top of the screen and kill them.

Falco's FS is kinda broken, but I don't care because it's not hurting me.:p

Duon

Smash Rookie
Do you only play on Final Destination? Get some flavor. In one level, ones Final Smash is Godly and Cheap. In another, its useless and annoying.

SgtWikez

Smash Journeyman
It really depends, like others have said, on map choice.

Of course if you stick with Final Destination you might be in some trouble. Playing that map over and over takes life out of the game (especially if you are playing with items/smash balls) and other maps might be more enjoyable and easier to fight on when facing a Landmaster.

Playing a slow character is also problematic if smash balls are in.

While it's rather common to play 1v1, no items, 3 stock on FD, you'd be surprised how refreshing other styles of gameplay are.

Jibbles

Smash Apprentice
I dunno...try hanging on the edge. it worked for me a couple of times but I'm not fully aware of the landmaster's mechanisms

3rdDegreeBernie

Smash Rookie
hanging on the edge doesnt work.

-oh and on the topic of stage choice, its usually random. id love to see LM own me on mushroomy :p

thanks everyone though.

LeTECK

Smash Rookie
It can carry you upwards even if you stay on the floating platform.
The thing is, fast characters should be able to get off quickly enough.
No it doesn't, it goes right through you :dizzy:

Will test tomorrow :)

Jem.

Smash Master
Smash balls: off.
there we go.

EDIT: Watch Ka-Master vs Jem match 1 on youtube. And see what the timing is, because he didnt try to get off the platform but I still ceiling killed him with it.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I actually find the broken Landmaster severely disappointing.
I dreamed that perhaps the lower-tiered characters would get the good final smashes. Then, in some tourneys, activating the smashball option would give a limited ability to combine tiers. If that makes any sense, a Bowser and Pit match-up could be heated if Pit's Final Smash was horrible and Bowser's was incredible. ( I'm actually unaware of Bowser's balance in this game, i just know Pit is good).

But here, we have Falco, who has a terrible good chance of high tier, with the Landmaster. It just shot my dreams far, far away.

Darkslash

Smash Master
I actually find the broken Landmaster severely disappointing.
I dreamed that perhaps the lower-tiered characters would get the good final smashes. Then, in some tourneys, activating the smashball option would give a limited ability to combine tiers. If that makes any sense, a Bowser and Pit match-up could be heated if Pit's Final Smash was horrible and Bowser's was incredible. ( I'm actually unaware of Bowser's balance in this game, i just know Pit is good).

But here, we have Falco, who has a terrible good chance of high tier, with the Landmaster. It just shot my dreams far, far away.
Actually Falco's landmaster is the worst of the 3 (Wolf being the best and Fox being the 2nd IMO) On the ground its no more better than sandbag :laugh:

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
Actually Falco's landmaster is the worst of the 3 (Wolf being the best and Fox being the 2nd IMO) On the ground its no more better than sandbag :laugh:
Well.. Duh!
when you activate his FS, it says..., "Vs... Battle in the Air."

AmericanBison

Smash Cadet
i disagree. you jump on top of it and jump whenever it shoots or rolls. or you could hang on a ledge and stall on the ledge when they try to roll. and you walk off it when you spawn again.. you have to be pretty bad to get killed a 2nd time even with a slow character. everyone gets fooled and carried off the first time they see it, but its a pretty easy final to figure out and get away from. and a few levels like the pirate ship make it easy. jump in the water.

all the finals are easy to get away from. except dk and pikachus are a little harder to do right.

GodzillaSmasher

Smash Cadet
If he really does prefer the air, then an Arwing would have made a better Final Smash. It could be just like the Landmaster, but it has no treads, and can fire 3 laser blasts consecutivly.

Polymus

Smash Cadet
As much as a do agree with the fact that they should of gave Falco an Arwing instead of a Landmaster, Falco's Landmaster is, as I believe to be, one of the best Final Smashes. Yet another great quality from Falco.

The whole ledge thing doesn't always work people. It's called spinnin' the Landmaster when they get back on the ledge. Bring them back up in place (still off the platform might I remind you) and all they have left is to go on the Landmaster, aka, the moment of opportunity. LASER! So, I recommend people NOT use the ledge idea as a way to avoid the Landmaster. Just doesn't work. =P

Personally, broken Landmaster my ***. xD

DarumaBlue

Smash Rookie
I've found avoiding any and all of the landmasters to be pretty easy.

I just hang off the ledge. Even if you're out of ledge grabbing super armor, the landmaster's moving forwards or backwards won't harm you. When the landmaster rockets up and then comes back down, yes, it'll crush your fingers. Solution? Drop down then come back up.

In 1v1 this may not be possible, but in FFAs the controller of the tank will usually give up and go after clumsier prey. Not sure if rolling can be avoided so easily.

AmericanBison

Smash Cadet
polymus, its cool that you figured out that the landmaster can roll, but jumping off the ledge when they roll isnt hard. i see good people avoid that final smash all the time.

Top Bottom