• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lag may be a problem

Master Peach

Smash Ace
I got strikers Charged yesterday. I've been playing online ever since. I'm rank 5. Since I've been playing online. Things were going smooth. Then later on Things started to lag... Alot. I'm on rank 5 and I'm playing noobs, yet I'm losing the match. Reason why.... Mother ****ing Lag!!! The lag is driving me nuts. Connection loss, loss of match, Frozen moves, it's all bad. That's why I'm not playing it now. I'm not saying it's not a good game just the horrible connection.

Anyways on to my point. If strikers Lag is this bad online I can only imagine Brawl. Pro players Losing Matches to noobs cause of Lag, Loss of connection, and all that jazz. This may be a huge problem online and may cause frustration. For those of you who have Strikers Charged you must know what I mean.

Oh and for record, My connection isn't all that bad. I check it my self. All 3 bars are up, and before I go into a match I check the connection. Mines is fine. Theirs on the other hand I'm not so sure of.

anyways what are your thoughts on this.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Lag is going to be present in Brawl if it has online play, but they can try to nullify it to a degree in which it wouldn't be that severe. Also, do you experience such lag in Mario Strikers Charged in some matches because from what I've read, it seems to have some good online play.

Master Peach

Smash Ace
Lag is going to be present in Brawl if it has online play, but they can try to nullify it to a degree in which it wouldn't be that severe. Also, do you experience such lag in Mario Strikers Charged in some matches because from what I've read, it seems to have some good online play.
The online play is good, but the thing I've noticed is When I see the connection there's 4 stars, but when I enter the match it's as if I'm playing on a connection of one star. I've gotten so sick of it that before I accept the match I have to wait 10 or 15 min to see if the connection changes and Majority of the time they do. From 4 stars to 2 then 1. The connection is horrible. Only !0% out of !00% can I only find a barly lagless match.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
NO WAI! A problem with lag in an online fighter. ... IMPASTABOWL! :psycho:

You seriously just thinking about this now? Brawl isn't gonna play too well online if its like Melee. Melee was a very frame tight game... we will see how it goes with Virtua Fighter 5 on 360 and then maybe we can get an idea of what brawl will be like. But obviously it will be somewhat of a problem... like it is with all online fighters.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
When ISN'T Lag a problem?..

Well one time I was palying Battlefield 2 and my comp can't handle it... So I can run around and get shot just about twice the amount I usually can since my comp doesn't register it or something... Was fun killing people with the defibrillator ^^

I can't say if Brawl will resist lag well. But I am saying that it WILL lag..

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
Agreed with Onyx.

There will obviously be lag, and it will obviously be a problem, but I'm hoping not TOO much of a problem.
BUT: If they have to dumb SSBB down so that it's not as "Frame-y" to avoid lag, the online isn't worth it. I want something AS good as Melee, if not better. And the physics engine is good already, so if they make the game slower paced, alot of people will be upset.

I think people would trade a fast paced Melee-like-Brawl over online.
That is if you're GOOD at Melee and care.

Adi

Smash Lord
It isn't going to matter much anyways since tournaments are how people going to judge the skill of others.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I agree with Adi it's best not to really care about it.

The only negative outcome of online play is that some of the noobs will think they are better then what they are because of lag.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I have been saying this all along. Brawl over the Internet is not going to be a happy, rosy experience. It will be nice for some (those who have ridiculously fast connection) and otherwise silly for people like me. >_<

iankobe

Smash Lord
I think Smash just doesn't belong to Internet play. Just think about it. The connection is not fast enough to handle the movements of the characters and such. Think about the frames. Since EACH frame in smash is critical, how is that going to work on Wi-fi.

Putting Smash offline its for our own good.

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
Okay but just out of curiosity, how fast should your internet be to never experience lag? If there is such a thing as never experiencing lag

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
The online play is good, but the thing I've noticed is When I see the connection there's 4 stars, but when I enter the match it's as if I'm playing on a connection of one star. I've gotten so sick of it that before I accept the match I have to wait 10 or 15 min to see if the connection changes and Majority of the time they do. From 4 stars to 2 then 1. The connection is horrible. Only !0% out of !00% can I only find a barly lagless match.
I thuink it's you. I never have a problem. The game doesn't show your connection sadly. It's quite possible your lagging. Check your connection.

BudDudandSlash

Smash Apprentice
I was playing stirkers at a friend's yesterday, and we lagged out of every single match.

Been playing at home, and it's been 95% smooth.

We'll see.

Eggm

Smash Hero
the wii cannot communicate 60 times a second another wii, so even if both players connections are flawless there will be SOME lag.

Revven

FrankerZ
To the TC (Topic Creator) the reason why you're getting all those errors and bad lag is because of the server traffic plus the connection of your opponent. I've experienced these all myself, from "Error getting stats" to "Lost connection" and it really isn't helping me that I have a couple of losses because of that (and loss of points). Just wait it out for a few days, as, apparently this also happened in Europe when it first launched (so I heard).

Wait it out is all I'm saying. Although, congrats for being Rank 5, I'm in the 1,000's @_@.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
You have the chance to reject bad connections in MSC for a reason.

As for SSBB, I suspect we'll only have 1v1 matches, but that'd be fine by me.

And am I glad that online play forces SSBB to be slower than Melee? Yes, yes I am. Melee was way too fast. The first thing my friends said when I showed them Melee vids was "Wow, it's fast..."

Whereas I always had people who would play SSB64 with me, no one liked to play Melee because of the speed. I'll take a slower SSBB, thanks.

Keige

Smash Journeyman
@ people who think online will affect offline:
...or Nintendo could try not being stupid like Bungie is and make any dumbing down changes made to online be ONLINE ONLY!

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
...or Nintendo could try not being stupid like Bungie is and make any dumbing down changes made to online be ONLINE ONLY!
I mention it because the trailers for Brawl have quite clearly shown the gameplay to be slower than Melee.

Also, Strikers, with a solid connection, plays online the same as it does offline. If SSBB can do the same, then there would be no "changes" for online to offline.

Master Peach

Smash Ace
To the TC (Topic Creator) the reason why you're getting all those errors and bad lag is because of the server traffic plus the connection of your opponent. I've experienced these all myself, from "Error getting stats" to "Lost connection" and it really isn't helping me that I have a couple of losses because of that (and loss of points). Just wait it out for a few days, as, apparently this also happened in Europe when it first launched (so I heard).

Wait it out is all I'm saying. Although, congrats for being Rank 5, I'm in the 1,000's @_@.
That's what I was thinking too, the sever traffic must be awful, and the connection of my opponents are so bad. Every time I connect with my opponent here how it run down, 4 stars wait 5 sec 1 star, 3 stars wait 2 sec 4 stars wait another 7 sec 1 star, whew good thing I didn't accept the match. One and about waiting it out I've thought about doing that but then I worry about my rank. I have taken some time off of the game and now I'm on rank 14 T-T. It's really hard trying to get back my rank. The only break you get is at night when you notice the leaders score isn't going up any more (he must be offline).

GildedPunch

Smash Ace
I'm depending on Brawl to have wifi cuz I have no friends who can play as well as I do.
And my bro has a job now and we can barely play anymore. So I need wifi so that I can play people MY level. I wonder how that will work too......... Will it have certain servers that more advanced players ususally flock to? That would be awesome.

cubican62

Smash Cadet
i think this is one of the reasons nintendo hasnt been talking about online play. the decision they have to make is "if its not perfect is it worth it?"

Anther

Smash Champion
I really hated the idea of lag in brawl a lot. But any of yall ever played Smash on an HDTV with a huge delay?

I'm actually hoping that the online is like that. I've only played on HD's with bad lag only like 4-5 times, but the thing is.. I got used to it very quickly. My playstyle on a laggy HD looks almost exactly the same as on a reg TV. Your brain eventually learns to compensate for the delayed movements, and if you play the game by your muscle memory, just about everything works like how you want it... Sure I probably suicide a bit more than normally, but at least this system keeps characters from warping around or moves from going through opponents. It's very similar to how online play works on Battle.net for Starcraft and Warcraft III...
Everything happens, and if someone experiences lag, the game pauses instead of characters freezing and teleporting around..

Dunno how popular something like that would be, but its seriously better in my opinoin than how FPS's and other online games tend to handle lag through dead-reckoning systems (Guessing based on velocity and inputs.. resulting in warping and inaccurate visual stimuli)

Its a pretty easy system to implement, long as the game delays less than 20 frames of lag. Sure you can't be as reactionally precise, but .. it's online, not much you can do about it.

WR3K

Smash Ace
it seems to be an isolated problem to YOU... if noobs are beating YOU, then THEY arent lagging

online play GREATLY depends on your home connection....

trust me, ive played counterstrike on good computers with bad connections and LAG IS HORRIBLE, ive played counter strike on WORSE computers with a GOOD connection and play was alot better

Teben

Smash Apprentice
I almost never have a lag problem when playing strikers. It's typically as smooth as playing offline for me.

The only real issues I've had are occasionally the wait to get stats takes a long time.

alphameric

Smash Ace
connection issues has something to do with your connection or their connection.
probably someone downloading on bittorrent or limewire or some other p2p app.

but seriously, who REALLY will be playing randoms in brawl?
unless im really bored, i'll be playing my friends, meaning they know how to get a good connection.

Smashboozer

Smash Apprentice
It better have online play cause noone were i live is good and thats sbout the only way I'll get decent games.

Kazuya

Smash Journeyman
Congratulations for figuring out lag may be a problem. You'll recieve your prize VIA internet in a few days (would be sooner, but lags causing me problems)

No offense, but a noob can't just automatically win becuz theirs some slight lag which screws up the game. If you're a pro you can adjust to it - sure you shouldn't HAVE to, becuz there shouldn't be any lag. But thats how it goes.

You have a good point, lag will cause disturbances, but you're exageratting the effect.

AAbatterie

Smash Apprentice
Yeah when I play online games, it only lags when I have 4 people playing on my console, otherwise it works fine. It all has to do with your internet connection. The only way you could have such a bad lag is if your internet disconnects completely sometimes, which happens frequently due to my wireless connection.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Playing against random people is where its at x_X
I'll do that sometimes, but it's better to go up against people that are at your skill level or above it and know that you're going up against such people. Anyway, since it looks like the online mode is going to have random matches, I'll get Wii codes from people that I know are good so I can play against them.

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
I got strikers Charged yesterday. I've been playing online ever since. I'm rank 5. Since I've been playing online. Things were going smooth. Then later on Things started to lag... Alot. I'm on rank 5 and I'm playing noobs, yet I'm losing the match. Reason why.... Mother ****ing Lag!!! The lag is driving me nuts. Connection loss, loss of match, Frozen moves, it's all bad. That's why I'm not playing it now. I'm not saying it's not a good game just the horrible connection.

Anyways on to my point. If strikers Lag is this bad online I can only imagine Brawl. Pro players Losing Matches to noobs cause of Lag, Loss of connection, and all that jazz. This may be a huge problem online and may cause frustration. For those of you who have Strikers Charged you must know what I mean.

Oh and for record, My connection isn't all that bad. I check it my self. All 3 bars are up, and before I go into a match I check the connection. Mines is fine. Theirs on the other hand I'm not so sure of.

anyways what are your thoughts on this.
1) 3 bars refers to your wireless connectivity. Which is your LAN. Has nothing to do with the current quality of your connection on the WAN link. So it is probably your internet being ********.

2) Ever play baseball/basketball/football games online? Because I have. As well as fighters. So I fail to see how it wouldn't work with Brawl. Don't play someone who doesn't have a 4 star connection with you.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
2) Ever play baseball/basketball/football games online? Because I have. As well as fighters. So I fail to see how it wouldn't work with Brawl. Don't play someone who doesn't have a 4 star connection with you.
It is this issue right here that will lead to many disappointments this winter. Too many people who do not understand the technical side of the Internet believe that we will enter this golden era where we can challenge anyone on Smashboards to a match in Brawl. They also believe the tournament scene will die down as everyone converts to purely online tournaments. The fact remains that connections will be less than desirable, people will complain about lag being the reason they lost, and good players will still be the ones who travel to tournaments. I apologize for seeming overly pessimistic, and yes, there will be groups of smashers around who have good connections allowing them to play each other.

Top Bottom