• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lag may be a problem

WHO?AreYou

Smash Journeyman
Back On Topic!:

I've been playing strikers online and specifically today the lag has been killing me. At some points it's gets to be as if I've moving underwater, with the characters going at least 2 seconds behind my actions. The connection seems to go up and down more than a roller coaster. Pretty frustrating, especially when it comes to those darned Megastrikes.... but I digress.
If Brawl is anything like Melee, then it will likely be a fast paced game. A 2 second lag would be deadly. And I honestly expect a ton of lag once the game comes out.
But I don't think it will ruin the game. Strikers is still very entertaining, even if the lag can be a bit frustrating at times. And it must be noted that Strikers did JUST come out, so there are likely to be bugs to be worked out. And while I do think that Brawl will have some lag, I hope that Nintendo takes what they've learned from the Strikers online experiance and apply it to Brawl. What works (rankings, random matches), what doesn't (alternate friend codes), what could be useful (being able to exchange friend codes with randomly selected opponents), etc. But again I digress.
For casual gamers, the lag probably won't be that impeding. For the hardcore though (us) it will probably limit online success. At least initially after release.

Chris of STARS

Smash Journeyman
I need to try out Strikers. I've yet to try any Wii games online. But I really believe if Sora can't get Brawl running online at a smooth speed they're just gonna end up axing it... :( Nintendo just wont put out a crappily made product.

red stone

Smash Ace
you guys act like you powershield everything to win. i don't know about you, but for me, smash is a game of prediction, conditioning, and trickery. those things can don't need perfect online to work

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
There should be a minimum requirement for Brawl that way their is a set standard to prevent Lag, if your under the wi-fi requirements and you really want to play brawl fix your connection

iankobe

Smash Lord
Well if you're actually worried about your connection, there's always a Lan adapter for the USB slot. I don't think it'll lag...after all.

Master Peach

Smash Ace
Back On Topic!:

I've been playing strikers online and specifically today the lag has been killing me. At some points it's gets to be as if I've moving underwater, with the characters going at least 2 seconds behind my actions. The connection seems to go up and down more than a roller coaster. Pretty frustrating, especially when it comes to those darned Megastrikes.... but I digress.
If Brawl is anything like Melee, then it will likely be a fast paced game. A 2 second lag would be deadly. And I honestly expect a ton of lag once the game comes out.
But I don't think it will ruin the game. Strikers is still very entertaining, even if the lag can be a bit frustrating at times. And it must be noted that Strikers did JUST come out, so there are likely to be bugs to be worked out. And while I do think that Brawl will have some lag, I hope that Nintendo takes what they've learned from the Strikers online experiance and apply it to Brawl. What works (rankings, random matches), what doesn't (alternate friend codes), what could be useful (being able to exchange friend codes with randomly selected opponents), etc. But again I digress.
For casual gamers, the lag probably won't be that impeding. For the hardcore though (us) it will probably limit online success. At least initially after release.
Thank god someone understands how I feel about this. All of what you said is what excatly has been happening to me. Also I agree with everthing you just said. That's the point I was trying to get from the start.

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
It depends on your connection.

I doubt it's unreasonable to assume that - provided you have a good connection - Brawl won't lag much. Maybe a few ticks here and there. I play Metroid Hunters online and there's no lag. I get the occasional DC, but there's never (seemingly) any lag while I play. My gun fires as soon as I hit the trigger, the projectile hits my enemy and they recieve damage accordingly. I have a lower speed Cable connection. If you have something like dial-up and you're worrying about lag; it's going to be on your end.

If a DS game can pull off online that good, then I forsee very few problems for Brawl.

Another thing is that Strikers isn't really a game that Nintendo wants to support all out; why spend effort on great support for a game that isn't really a blow-away experience? Strikers isn't one of those games that could potentially sell systems like Brawl is going to.

With Brawl, I think Nintendo is going to want to put everything they have into it seeing as how they know that this game is REALLY going to sell - good servers, and better options for online.

There are just my hopes and educated speculations, however.

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
It would be nice if all the youngsters would stop making claims about games sucking online, without acknowledging that it is in fact their POS connecton that is sucking.

Master Peach

Smash Ace
When I play online with my DS I absolutlly have no lag. Everything is straight forward and smooth. But in strikers that's a different story. Why is that? If my DS Connection is smooth Then why my Wii connection buggin out? It can't be my connection. If it was I wonldn't be able to connect with my DS online so easily.

Banks

Smash Hero
i think itll be fine for the majority of people who dont have butt-quality connections. also if they reset the stats every week or something like strikers then it doesnt matter if u lose one here and there because of lag. no one will remember.

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
When I play online with my DS I absolutlly have no lag. Everything is straight forward and smooth. But in strikers that's a different story. Why is that? If my DS Connection is smooth Then why my Wii connection buggin out? It can't be my connection. If it was I wonldn't be able to connect with my DS online so easily.
What kind of signal quality does your wii get?

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
The problem with you guys and Striker lag could be that you're accepting garbage connections.

If it's anything under a 4 star connection, I reject it.
And if it is 4stars, I wait until there's 20 or 15 seconds left before I accept it to see if the connection drops any.

Ever since I started doing this I've never had a lagged match.

--Also, thank you SWF for sending me an email wishing me a Happy Birthday <3.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
The title of this thread should be "Lag will be a problem". The only question is how much...

komickid

Smash Apprentice
I think they will try fairly hard before and after to make it as smooth as possible but nothing is lagless.

~Onslaught~

Smash Cadet
niintendo is meant to be making alot of money from brawl i say nintendo should have their own satellite for online play.....it maybe a little rash but its brawl we need lag free connections

Master Peach

Smash Ace
The problem with you guys and Striker lag could be that you're accepting garbage connections.

If it's anything under a 4 star connection, I reject it.
And if it is 4stars, I wait until there's 20 or 15 seconds left before I accept it to see if the connection drops any.

Ever since I started doing this I've never had a lagged match.

--Also, thank you SWF for sending me an email wishing me a Happy Birthday <3.
Trust me I do that. But the connection still can't be trusted. After 15 or 20 sec of waiting for the connection to change and it doesn't I accept the match. In my mind I'm thinking, "Well the connection is good, that must mean there is going to be very little lag." heh heh heh.... WRONG!!!!! The lag is unimaginable!!! From the very start of the of the match there is lag from beginning to the end. At first I thought I could trust the connection after waiting 15-20 seconds... heh heh WRONG AGAIN!!!! I can't trust the connection no matter how long I wait!

@ PitIcarus

The connection of my Wii is on green. Three bars. Matter fact it's on 3 bars now. I used my Wii to write this message. For as long as I have been on no disconnection, no lag, no change in connection quility.

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
Just because you don't have any lag with the opera browser....doesn't mean you have good internet.

Try a broadband speed test. If on strikers you join a game with 4 stars, and it lags.

THAT means your connection blows.

Master Peach

Smash Ace
You want to know what the weird thing is. I play a match with my friends, and the connection is fine. But when I play a match against random people the connection blows. why is that? This must mean too many are online all at once causing bad connection for most of people online, The connection only works better when your connected with your friends on a single connection, or Some people (or alot) just have bad internet or connection.

And another thing I still never got an answer to my question on the DS connection over Wii. And don't give me some bogus answer like "The DS is a smaller unite than the Wii or something along those lines.

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
You want to know what the weird thing is. I play a match with my friends, and the connection is fine. But when I play a match against random people the connection blows. why is that? This must mean too many are online all at once causing bad connection for most of people online, The connection only works better when your connected with your friends on a single connection, or Some people (or alot) just have bad internet or connection.

And another thing I still never got an answer to my question on the DS connection over Wii. And don't give me some bogus answer like "The DS is a smaller unite than the Wii or something along those lines.
There is no way to answer your question without physically going to your house and seeing how you have everything setup.

And the connection shouldn't matter if you are playing with friends or not, you are still using the same host.

Perfect Hero

Smash Apprentice
Lag IS a problem.

If you are going to take online seriously. . .

There really is no point caring about matches online, since Smash is so "frame intensive" lmao, lag will affect it no matter what.

Online will always be casuals untill everyone updates to them T1, T3 connections and even then, it won't be serious.

Offline is where its at.

My 2 cents.

Master Peach

Smash Ace
There is no way to answer your question without physically going to your house and seeing how you have everything setup.

And the connection shouldn't matter if you are playing with friends or not, you are still using the same host.
The thing is though my friends complain about the lag they are experincing online yet When I connect with them they seem have no problems. If it was me having the lame connection it should affecting their game, and as of yet they haven't complained about any lame connection I'm having with them.

I mean don't me wrong, I'm not saying the match doesn't lag period. What am saying is that the lag isn't so major that it's worth complaining. The lag doesn't really come that often nor does it really any effect on the match.

Top Bottom