• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lag may be a problem

Kentalish

Smash Lord
i googled the code and people are saying that nintendos server is overloaded and that its not just your connection... but like i said in a few weeks there wont be as much lag

iankobe

Smash Lord
I think we should really wipe out the idea of having smash online. Again, smash itself is a fast paste game, and every frame matters. YOu think our wifi connection can handle it?

mukoe890

Smash Apprentice
yes ive experienced brutal lag in strikers, and I really hate it when the match disconnects and the loss is on your side. or is it just whoever has the worst connection?

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I think we should really wipe out the idea of having smash online. Again, smash itself is a fast paste game, and every frame matters. YOu think our wifi connection can handle it?
I don't necessarily believe that Brawl shouldn't have online play. (Heck, everyone was so desperate, they found out how to freakin' play Melee online with the whole Phantasy Star Online trick.) I just believe that it will be for casual play only.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I cannot wait for the day for the whole planet is so well connected that speed/lag is never an issue. We'll all be entering our 70s probably. :laugh:

Adi

Smash Lord
Lag is always going to exist no matter what day and age it is. It'll just be reduced to a minimal level.

Mixx3

Smash Rookie
I think if Nintendo was worried about the LAG they wouldn't had show off the fact that Medal Of Honor will be like 30 ppl online, and that Mario Kart would have online for alot of players.

Another thing is, wiireless connection is not as stable as having an ethernet connection, try getting one (it's hard to get one atm thought) and atleast to me, the connection got waaaay better.

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
Another thing is, wiireless connection is not as stable as having an ethernet connection, try getting one (it's hard to get one atm thought) and atleast to me, the connection got waaaay better.
No idea what you're saying.

And buzz, did you hear about that 90 year old lady in like germany who got like a 150gbps connection from some place just so they could show people the potential connections we could have.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
And buzz, did you hear about that 90 year old lady in like germany who got like a 150gbps connection from some place just so they could show people the potential connections we could have.
Like... no.

iankobe

Smash Lord
I don't necessarily believe that Brawl shouldn't have online play. (Heck, everyone was so desperate, they found out how to freakin' play Melee online with the whole Phantasy Star Online trick.) I just believe that it will be for casual play only.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Me myself wants brawl to be online also. What I'm saying is that if it ruins the gameplay while playing online, I'd rather have it not online. You know what I mean? Heck, It'd be so cool if I can just stay home and play my other friends smash online...

Sometimes I still think that smash is a game where people meet up together and play together. I don't mind have smash online. That's just awesome if it doesn't kill the game.

Chris of STARS

Smash Journeyman
Lag depends on alot of things. Broadband is more than latent enough to handle furious online gaming. Unfortunately, the Wii has a weaker processor than the 360 or PS3, so Wii by default is in the prime position to be the weakest system when it comes to getting a rich, online experience. Also consider however power intensive the gameplay is for the particular game, if other people are using the same internet connection as you, and if your Wi-Fi signal strength is adequate or not. These can make games that are capeable of running fine slow to a crawl. Also, since Wii is Wi-Fi only (except for the USB adapter) you also have to accept any wireless interference that might be in your area. Wii really should have also had a standard ethernet port in addition to Wi-Fi.

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
Lag depends on alot of things. Broadband is more than latent enough to handle furious online gaming. Unfortunately, the Wii has a weaker processor than the 360 or PS3, so Wii by default is in the prime position to be the weakest system when it comes to getting a rich, online experience. Also consider however power intensive the gameplay is for the particular game, if other people are using the same internet connection as you, and if your Wi-Fi signal strength is adequate or not. These can make games that are capeable of running fine slow to a crawl. Also, since Wii is Wi-Fi only (except for the USB adapter) you also have to accept any wireless interference that might be in your area. Wii really should have also had a standard ethernet port in addition to Wi-Fi.

The processing won't factor into the online play.

If the Wii can handle the game fine without being online, it wouldn't be any different if online.

And considering WiFi is short ranged, I doubt there is going to be any interference in your area. And WiFi has extremely good signal strength.

In other words I disagree with almost everything you just said.

iankobe

Smash Lord

If the Wii can handle the game fine without being online, it wouldn't be any different if online.

And considering WiFi is short ranged, I doubt there is going to be any interference in your area. And WiFi has extremely good signal strength.

Not true. Take the DS for example. I play Mario kart online and when you do something thats quick, like snaking, you can't actually see I'm snaking. Instead you will see people's kart teleporting like none other.

Its weird. If you play games that are SLOW like pokemon or tetris, normally you won't experience any lag.

k!llsw!tch

Smash Ace
I cannot wait for the day for the whole planet is so well connected that speed/lag is never an issue. We'll all be entering our 70s probably. :laugh:
That would be great, everything is wireless from toasters, to high powered stuff, and online was never ever laggy, uh I hope lag won't be a major issue, my connection has been sucky period.

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
Not true. Take the DS for example. I play Mario kart online and when you do something thats quick, like snaking, you can't actually see I'm snaking. Instead you will see people's kart teleporting like none other.

Its weird. If you play games that are SLOW like pokemon or tetris, normally you won't experience any lag.
What does that have to do with what I said? That's just connection latency. That has nothing to do with processor speed lol.

Chris of STARS

Smash Journeyman

Well you're allowed to disagree but it makes you wrong. Please explain to me exactly how running the game fine offline equates to the exact same experience when your system is communicating across hundreds or thousands of miles while playing online? So by your logic, playing online, (in other words constantly receiving and sending back information to someone miles and miles away from you) is not anymore taxing on the system's processing than when it's only communicating locally between you, your friends, and your controllers. Have you ever even played any system online before other than your Wii? Doesn't sound like it.

Dacvak

Smash Ace
You know, I've been playing a lot of SSB64 online recently, and here's what I've noticed. At some points, when I'm playing 1v1, if our pings are 16ms or less, it's actually pretty **** good. It's just like I'm playing on a 64. And that's with the incredibly inefficient Kaillera running the online portion.

Then again, SSB64 is a much slower game than Melee, and probably Brawl. Personally, I think the online play will be good for casual play. I doubt it'll be good enough for competitive play, though.

One this that really gets me depressed is I already know that playing SSB64 will be more enjoyable than Brawl, simply due to the fact that there are no friend codes, you can chat, and you can customize the game to the fullest extent.

Nintendo, please get it right. We'll be playing Brawl for the next 6 years. =/

~Dac

Chris of STARS

Smash Journeyman
You know, I've been playing a lot of SSB64 online recently, and here's what I've noticed. At some points, when I'm playing 1v1, if our pings are 16ms or less, it's actually pretty **** good. It's just like I'm playing on a 64. And that's with the incredibly inefficient Kaillera running the online portion.

Then again, SSB64 is a much slower game than Melee, and probably Brawl. Personally, I think the online play will be good for casual play. I doubt it'll be good enough for competitive play, though.

One this that really gets me depressed is I already know that playing SSB64 will be more enjoyable than Brawl, simply due to the fact that there are no friend codes, you can chat, and you can customize the game to the fullest extent.

Nintendo, please get it right. We'll be playing Brawl for the next 6 years. =/

~Dac
Even if they don't, I plan to just use my 360 to chat with my friends over Live at the same time we're playing Brawl. I used to do it for my DS when playing non-chat online games. Wii's probably more power hungry online though, so I wont expect a super lag free session the first time I try it, but if it works, yay. ^_^

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
I dont think that the DS could possibly represent the Wii's Online capabilities accurately, and I think that if there is lag caused by servers or Nintendo's Fault, they will fix it, and therefore all lag we experience is OUR fault, and we need to find people closer to our area to play against online. If we can do that, lag will NOT be a problem.

Edit: I reread that and I sounded stupid and troll-like. For that I apologize.

Chris of STARS

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, so far, doesn't use servers. You connect directly peer to peer with whoever else you're playing against. But I agree you can limit your laginess by playing people closer to you or with people who have at least a decent upload rate.

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
Well you're allowed to disagree but it makes you wrong. Please explain to me exactly how running the game fine offline equates to the exact same experience when your system is communicating across hundreds or thousands of miles while playing online? So by your logic, playing online, (in other words constantly receiving and sending back information to someone miles and miles away from you) is not anymore taxing on the system's processing than when it's only communicating locally between you, your friends, and your controllers. Have you ever even played any system online before other than your Wii? Doesn't sound like it.
If your framerate drops while playing online it is going to be your GPU. But if a game like Brawl experiences no lag playing with 4 people on the console, why would the processor cause the game to lag online? That's connection quality it has nothing to do with a consoles processor.

And I am an avid PC gamer and I have played PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3, DS, and the Wii online.

Don't talk **** when you have no idea what you are talking about.

And Dac SSB64 lags online because you are using a shoddy Emulator. That has nothing to do with connection speed. That's because it's being emulated.

Chris of STARS

Smash Journeyman
If your framerate drops while playing online it is going to be your GPU. But if a game like Brawl experiences no lag playing with 4 people on the console, why would the processor cause the game to lag online? That's connection quality it has nothing to do with a consoles processor.

And I am an avid PC gamer and I have played PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3, DS, and the Wii online.

Don't talk **** when you have no idea what you are talking about.

And Dac SSB64 lags online because you are using a shoddy Emulator. That has nothing to do with connection speed. That's because it's being emulated.
Uh...no need to get angry. Okay you said you have a DS. Have you played Mario Kart? I wonder why it plays perfectly fine when you play by yourself, but yet the online can only handle a max of four players, many items are not included in the online play, nor can you play battle mode. You said the game should play fine regardless since it's able to run a steady fps rate when playing offline. Not to mention whenever someone starts snaking the game just shows them as if they're teleporting all over the track and not as one smooth, continous animation.

Anyways, the answer is the online play had to be toned down because the DS doesn't have all the power in the world to process the same amount of information while communicating across the planet in the same amount of time as if you were playing people sitting right next to you.

So why? It's still using broadband. The same exact broadband I use to play 8 player Gears of War, which is a game that is working my 360 probably several times harder than my DS is capeable of. same for your PC. Broadband didn't magically get slower because I'm using my DS to play over it. Broadband can carry as much info as it wants, as fast as it wants, but the processing power of your hardware is essentially a bottleneck that online information has to be funneled through before it shows as output on your screen. Otherwise explain to me how HD games on the 360, PS3, and PC run faster than the DS can run a simplistic game by comparison, like Mario Kart using the exact same speed of transfer via broadband? Processing speed. Durr. Check. And mate.

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
Uh...no need to get angry. Okay you said you have a DS. Have you played Mario Kart? I wonder why it plays perfectly fine when you play by yourself, but yet the online can only handle a max of four players, many items are not included in the online play, nor can you play battle mode. You said the game should play fine regardless since it's able to run a steady fps rate when playing offline. Not to mention whenever someone starts snaking the game just shows them as if they're teleporting all over the track and not as one smooth, continous animation.

Anyways, the answer is the online play had to be toned down because the DS doesn't have all the power in the world to process the same amount of information while communicating across the planet in the same amount of time as if you were playing people sitting right next to you.

So why? It's still using broadband. The same exact broadband I use to play 8 player Gears of War, which is a game that is working my 360 probably several times harder than my DS is capeable of. same for your PC. Broadband didn't magically get slower because I'm using my DS to play over it. Broadband can carry as much info as it wants, as fast as it wants, but the processing power of your hardware is essentially a bottleneck that online information has to be funneled through before it shows as output on your screen. Otherwise explain to me how HD games on the 360, PS3, and PC run faster than the DS can run a simplistic game by comparison, like Mario Kart using the exact same speed of transfer via broadband? Processing speed. Durr. Check. And mate.

Yes I have Mariokart DS.

And Bottlenecking isn't going to happen with the Wii so I don't even get why you even brought that up. And having been playing Gears of War since it released, I can honestly say I have witnessed far more lag playing it than I have with MKDS. Just don't be a douche and don't snake in MKDS and it won't be a problem. Why does your system runs gears of war better? I don't know, maybe you are using a wired connection for the 360? Or maybe you are one of those people who won't play unless they are hosting?

If you honestly think the Wii is going to have problems bottlenecking then you are clearly reading too much 360chat bs. If it can run Strikers flawlessly than I highly daught there is going to be a processing issue with SSBB.

Chris of STARS

Smash Journeyman
Yea whatever buddy. Your DS must be the most amazing DS ever created if it can run Mario Kart faster than 360 can run Gears! :laugh: LoL! I like how you also say "Bottlenecking isn't going to happen with the Wii so I don't even get why you even brought that up." Nice argument there! All the facts you used to back that one up blew my mind. :laugh:

Also I love how you accuse my 360 of running Gears quickly because its a wired connection, yet not only a few of your posts back you just basically claimed that wireless connections run without any interference at all. Yet now you change your story saying that my wired connection gives me an advantage when using my 360, over my DS' Wi Fi connection only. :laugh:

Finally comparing the action in Strikers to the action that's going to be in Brawl is your 0 for 3 loss.

Get back to me when your rebuttles consist of more than "WELL THAT NEVER HAPPENS WHEN I DO IT SO MY OPINION = FACT LAWL!"

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
Yea whatever buddy. Your DS must be the most amazing DS ever created if it can run Mario Kart faster than 360 can run Gears! :laugh: LoL! I like how you also say "Bottlenecking isn't going to happen with the Wii so I don't even get why you even brought that up." Nice argument there! All the facts you used to back that one up blew my mind. :laugh:

Also I love how you accuse my 360 of running Gears quickly because its a wired connection, yet not only a few of your posts back you just basically claimed that wireless connections run without any interference at all, yet now you change your story saying that my wired connection gives me an advantage when using my 360, over my DS' Wi Fi connection only. :laugh:

Get back to me when your rebuttles consist of more than "WELL THAT NEVER HAPPENS WHEN I DO IT SO MY OPINION = FACT LAWL!"
1) I gave you an example of why it won't be a problem.

2) No one accused your 360 of being wired.

3) I never said there was no such thing as interference, I said with wifi there shouldn't be any interference. Meaning that is a variable you can control.

4) If you have never had to wait for your textures to load on any round on Gears of War then you are probably the only one. Not to mention the insane amount of glitches you use to be able to do because of it.

5) Clearly you haven't played Strikers Charged.

Chris of STARS

Smash Journeyman

"And Bottlenecking isn't going to happen with the Wii so I don't even get why you even brought that up. And having been playing Gears of War since it released, I can honestly say I have witnessed far more lag playing it than I have with MKDS."

Seems like you didn't. You just went straight from "it wont be a problem" to talking about something completely unrelated in the next sentence. Please reiterrate your "example."

"Why does your system runs gears of war better? I don't know, maybe you are using a wired connection for the 360?"

Said it yourself. Failure again.

3) I never said there was no such thing as interference, I said with wifi there shouldn't be any interference. Meaning that is a variable you can control.

"And considering WiFi is short ranged, I doubt there is going to be any interference in your area. And WiFi has extremely good signal strength. "

You never said there wasn't any such thing as interference, but you just pass off your "doubt there is going to be interference" as if it's that how it always is, 24 hours a day, no matter what is going on around you. Do you even realize how many wireless signals travel through your house everyday that can cause potential interference? Cell phone signals, microwaves, other wireless networks in your neighborhood, air traffic communication. This is all stuff that can interfere with ANY other wireless signal traveling the same airspace. It's common sense buddy. You can say "there shouldn't be interference" all day long, and for the most part, Wi-Fi IS actually pretty good about it, but it is HARDLY an indestructable wireless protocol.

4) If you have never had to wait for your textures to load on any round on Gears of War then you are probably the only one. Not to mention the insane amount of glitches you use to be able to do because of it.

I've seen the texture loading thing. It happens on every first game on a new map. This is just the game loading the more important parts first, such as the physics engine, and level, then it moves onto processing the character model texturing because that isn't something that is vital to the gameplay. If anything, this is a prime example of how hardware processing speed effects online play. This also has nothing to do with your argument.

I won't lie, like you seem to, but no I haven't. But let me guess, it's just Mario Strikers Gamecube with fancier lighting and textures, sharper character models, and maybe some new super moves. It's probably not anything XBox 1 couldn't run. I still really can't see how you can compare Mario Strikers to a game like Smash though. It's pretty clear from after 5 minutes of playing it, that Smash Melee is one of the most frantic games in creation. Brawl will probably be even moreso.

---

I'm not trying to attack you, but you are misinformed. Bottom line, processing speed of your hardware has a direct effect on the ability of your system to run games online smoothly. You can believe me or not believe me, but it's a FACT. Google it up online yourself if you really care. I'm getting bored arguing with someone who's not getting it.

PitIcarus

Smash Ace

"And Bottlenecking isn't going to happen with the Wii so I don't even get why you even brought that up. And having been playing Gears of War since it released, I can honestly say I have witnessed far more lag playing it than I have with MKDS."

Seems like you didn't. You just went straight from "it wont be a problem" to talking about something completely unrelated in the next sentence. Please reiterrate your "example."

"Why does your system runs gears of war better? I don't know, maybe you are using a wired connection for the 360?"

Said it yourself. Failure again.

"And considering WiFi is short ranged, I doubt there is going to be any interference in your area. And WiFi has extremely good signal strength. "

You never said there wasn't any such thing as interference, but you just pass off your "doubt there is going to be interference" as if it's that how it always is, 24 hours a day, no matter what is going on around you. Do you even realize how many wireless signals travel through your house everyday that can cause potential interference? Cell phone signals, microwaves, other wireless networks in your neighborhood, air traffic communication. This is all stuff that can interfere with ANY other wireless signal traveling the same airspace. It's common sense buddy. You can say "there shouldn't be interference" all day long, and for the most part, Wi-Fi IS actually pretty good about it, but it is HARDLY an indestructable wireless protocol.

I've seen the texture loading thing. It happens on every first game on a new map. This is just the game loading the more important parts first, such as the physics engine, and level, then it moves onto processing the character model texturing because that isn't something that is vital to the gameplay. If anything, this is a prime example of how hardware processing speed effects online play. This also has nothing to do with your argument.

I won't lie, like you like to, but no I haven't. But let me guess, it's just Mario Strikers Gamecube with fancier lighting and textures, sharper character models, and maybe some new super moves. It's probably not anything XBox 1 couldn't run. I still really can't see how you can compare Mario Strikers to a game like Smash though. It's pretty clear from after 5 minutes of playing it, that Smash Melee is one of the most frantic games in creation. Brawl will probably be even moreso.

---

I'm not trying to attack you, but you are misinformed. Bottom line, processing speed of your hardware has a direct effect on the ability of your system to run games online smoothly. You can believe me or not believe me, but it's a FACT. Google it up online yourself if you really care. I'm getting bored arguing with someone who's not getting it.
1) Strikers Charged was the example.

2) That's not an accusation, I was throwing out possibilities.

3) You obviously didn't see the post I was replying to because he was referring to how using the Wii wirelessly was going to cause lag. My reply to him was basically that Wireless interference isn't a problem because that is something you yourself can prevent.

4) It has everything to do with my argument you are claiming that it runs flawlessly yet mariokart does. Well clearly neither of them do.

5) Why am I not surprised?

6) Misinformed about what? I never said processing speed doesn't affect on your systems ability to run games online smoothly. Excellent job putting words in my mouth. I said the processor speed WOULD NOT AFFECT it and that if anything it is going to be your GRAPHICS processing that will be the problem. I never said a single thing about PROCESSING in general. I was referring to the same thing I was responding to, the CPU. Consoles have plenty of Bus cache with the CPU for it to not be a problem.

So I don't understand wtf you are trying to accomplish. You aren't explaining anything to me that I didn't learn in TCP/IP class.

Chris of STARS

Smash Journeyman
6) Misinformed about what? I never said processing speed doesn't affect on your systems ability to run games online smoothly. Excellent job putting words in my mouth. I said the processor speed WOULD NOT AFFECT it and that if anything it is going to be your GRAPHICS processing that will be the problem. I never said a single thing about PROCESSING in general.
So your defense is that you never said processing speed "DOESN'T" effect it, because you instead said it "WOULD" not affect it? Because that's any kind of different thing? Also can you prove that the Wii's processor will not be any kind of factor when it comes to Brawl's online's latency? Probably not considering you're not developing the game, nor do I think you work on developing Wii software, so you really have no clue what kind of specific limitations the Wii has when trying to program online, despite whatever classes you think made your brain so big during junior college. So don't bother trying to make things up and then try to pass them off as fact like I'm not going to notice.

Also you say you never said anything abot processing in general, yet immediately right after say that if anything, it's the graphics processing that's going to be a potential problem. I'll humor you on that for a second, even though I'm pretty sure you know squat about programming Smash Bros. Brawl for Wii specifically - so you're saying graphics processing isn't part of your hardware's ability to process information? Did I get that right? Do you realize how much sense you just don't make?

Smash isn't even a graphics intensive game, compared to others. It looks GREAT, I don't doubt that. Except for a few of the larger arenas, (ie Big Blue, Brinstar Depths as a SSBM example) Smash is probably not busting the Wii's back when it comes to graphics processing, I can assure you. Mario Galaxy would probably be a better example of a game running Wii's graphics processor intensively, rendering the huge worlds and looking great while doing it.

A game like Smash is a game where it's CONSTANTLY crunching data and sending ALOT of input to the system that it has to quickly calculate and process and return to your monitor as output. That's where the critical part is going to lie for smooth online play; seeing if the Wii can handle a million Pokemon on screen at the same time the level is being destroyed, and people are unleashing Final Smashes. Yes, internet latency is a big factor as well, but assuming you and your online peers have a perfect connection, what do you think is going to handle online gaming faster: a system with the ability to crunch alot of numbers at an OK rate, like Wii, and have it output on all players' screens with as little lag as possible, - OR - a system with enough power under its belt, like a PC or 360, that can handle even more information transfer at a quicker pace? I can guarantee you that if Wii were as powerful as some of the other next gen systems, it would be easier, not harder, on the developers to get it running online smoothly. And don't interpret that as a Wii bash, because it's not, it's simply the truth. It's common sense.

Anyways, I'd suggest taking that class again, because obviously you slept through most of it.

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
Since you decided to type a novel, I just skipped to the last line. I actually got an A- in that class and have since gotten my degree.

And there is a big difference between "doesn't" and "won't." And Brawl is using a ****load more processing than Strikers Charged, then you iz just ignorant.

SGX

Smash Journeyman
Graphical processing power of the Wii is not an issue at all here.
Bandwidth (normally) is not an issue either.

The only issue you're facing is connection latency. Your "ping" to the other player or the server. That is, how long it takes data to get from you, to them, and back to you.

The Wii is not being severely taxed, because in a situation like this, all it is sending and receiving online is yours and the other players controller inputs. This is a very small amount of data. A few kilobytes/second is all that is required.

What IS important is how fast that data gets to and from your system. This is not determined by your Wii, but by your ISP, and every single router/modem in between you and your opponent.

If you want to see a good example of network coding, take a look at http://www.ggpo.net
It's an emulator/online lobby for Street Fighter Alpha 2. To be honest, it's the best netcode I've ever seen in action.

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
Graphical processing power of the Wii is not an issue at all here.
Bandwidth (normally) is not an issue either.

The only issue you're facing is connection latency. Your "ping" to the other player or the server. That is, how long it takes data to get from you, to them, and back to you.

The Wii is not being severely taxed, because in a situation like this, all it is sending and receiving online is yours and the other players controller inputs. This is a very small amount of data. A few kilobytes/second is all that is required.

What IS important is how fast that data gets to and from your system. This is not determined by your Wii, but by your ISP, and every single router/modem in between you and your opponent.

If you want to see a good example of network coding, take a look at http://www.ggpo.net
It's an emulator/online lobby for Street Fighter Alpha 2. To be honest, it's the best netcode I've ever seen in action.
Ok good, you can take over the argument with D & D boy Chris.

Chris of STARS

Smash Journeyman
I can't back up my arguments so instead I'll just keep saying things that make no sense, then claim I never said them by spinning whatever point you made to make it sound like it helps my argument, then throw in some petty third-grade name calling and call it day.
Yay. Go you.

Top Bottom