• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lafayette's Melee 1 ~ April 10, 2010 ~ Lafayette, Louisiana

Curlz

Smash Lord

Louisiana Smash Presents:
Lafayette's Melee 1

April 10, 2010

Lousiana Smash and Lafayette's Play N Trade would like to present you with Lafayette's Melee 1; the beginning of a Bi-Monthly Melee tournament in Lafayette, Louisiana.

Dates/ Schedule:

5:00pm: Sign Ups Start
6:00-6:30pm: Singles Begin
Doubles will begin right after Singles with Time permitting.

Fees:
$8 entry per event.
$3 of each entry goes to the venue
Girls get in free.
NO REFUNDS
60/30/10 pot split

Prize will be given to you in cash outside of the venue right after the tournament.

If 16 people enter I will put in $15 of my own money to first place's prize money, and if 32 people enter I will put in $25 of my own money to first place's prize money.
(This does not apply if first prize is split)

Venue Info:
139 Arnould Blvd
Lafayette, LA 70506-6213
(337) 456-5163

The PnT is located inside a plaza which contains Jason's Deli, a Smoothie Factory, and a Cookie Facotry. Across the street is a Piccadilly Cafeteria.

General Info:

GENERAL

My cell phone number is (337) 278 8137 if you have questions about anything.

-No drugs, alcohol, or smoking inside the building.
-No fighting.
-Please throw away your trash.
-Please listen and help out the Tournament Organizers and Staff by listening and working with them.
-As organizer, I reserve the right to modify or change rules in order to accommodate the tournament's needs. I will notify players accordingly should a change be made on the day of the tournament.
-Similarly, as an organizer, I want this to be the best tournament possible. If you think something could be better, tell me how. We'll go from there.
-All tournaments will be a double-elimination bracket seeded to the best of my knowledge.

EQUIPMENT INFORMATION

-If you want this to run smoothly and quickly we will need as many setups as possible so please bring whatever you can for any event.
-All TVs and Game Systems that are donated for this event will be taken complete care of by the staff. We are not liable for any broken or malfunctioning TV or Game System, however, we will make sure nothing happens to your equipment.
-All TVs and Game Systems will be used for tournament play.
-If you are entered in a tournament and you are playing on a TV without being called for a tournament match, you will be asked to stop whatever you are doing and to get off the TV. If you refuse, you will be DQ'd from the tournament with NO REFUND.
-If you are not entered in a tournament and you are playing on a TV, you will be asked to stop whatever you are doing and to get off the TV. If you refuse you will be booted from the venue.

Melee Rules

The Ruleset

4 stock
8-min. time limit
Items set to "None"
Best 2 of 3 games
Double Elimination Bracket

The Stage List

Starter

Battlefield
Dream Land 64
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium
Yoshi's Story

Counterpick

Brinstar
Corneria
Fountain of Dreams
Kongo Jungle 64
Mute City
Poke Floats
Rainbow Cruise

Banned

The rest

The Procedure

Game 1 is played on one of the starter stages. At this time, both players stage strike, meaning that each one of you eliminates one stage until one is left, then you play on that stage.

Game 2 starts the counterpick system in a sense if you so choose. It goes like this: Loser of Game 1 chooses the next stage for Game 2, then the winner of Game 1 picks his/her character, then the loser of Game 1 picks his/her character. Game 2 then begins. The process for Game 3 is the same if the match gets to it.

When Game 2 starts, both players each get one stage ban, meaning whatever stage a person decides to ban, that stage cannot be picked for the duration of the match.

Extra rules

- Wobbling IS allowed, but it must not go beyond 200% to prevent excessive stalling.
- Dave's Stupid Rule is applied - A player may not pick a stage that he/she has already won on.
- Ties are broken by stocks, then percentage.

---
---
---

RESULTS

1: Kyle (Marth) $45 + $5 pot bonus
2: TaylorHJ (Everyone) $22.50
3: Cyphus (Doc) $7.50
4: ISBS (Fox / Marth / Captain Falcon)
5: RSIA (Fox)
5: Zakosai (Ganon)
7: FlareFox (Jiggs / Shiek / Falco)
7: FakeGeorge (Jiggs)
9: Wiggins (Captain Falcon / Luigi)
9: Tyler (Marth / Captain Falcon)
9: Mark (Captain Falcon)
9: Coby (Shiek / Peach / Luigi)
13: Andre (Mario / Link)
13: Jake (Fox)
13: Richard (Captain Falcon)

Curlz

Smash Lord
I'll be linking the Melee Backroom to this. Get it as much hype as you possibly can.
I'm gonna try my best. I want to make it up to the Melee players that came out for FFF, because the Melee tourny for that was just fail.

Turok, its ok. :]

'V'

Smash Lord
It wasn't bad considering you've virtually had no experience with the Melee guys before, so didn't know what to expect.

I thought it was pretty though and had fun at it. Going random the whole time was probably what did it for me though to be honest.

Curlz

Smash Lord
Well I hope to see you at this one. It will be fun. :]

And while your linking the Melee Backroom, can you ask for them to come up with a PR if possible? It would help a ****load with seeding. If not, I don't want to hear any problems with the way I seed.

'V'

Smash Lord
Sure. I'm sure I could help them come up with something. It would actually rather be easy to put together if you ask me.

I'll probably come to this.

Pritch

Smash Lord
Assuming no rehearsal conflicts or the like I'm down. Cool of you to put this on, man.

By the way, why do we always run friday evening tournaments? Everywhere else in the world runs tournaments on saturdays starting in the morning/noonish and thus has plenty of time to get singles and doubles done, run crews if people are interested, etc, and all without staying up until 4:00 in the morning (not that I'm against smashing till 4:00 in the morning, I just like to do that at someone's crib where people can relax, pass out on couches if they get tired, etc).

This isn't directed specifically at this tournament, but more as a random thought for the community in general. Thoughts?

Curlz

Smash Lord
April 10 is a Saturday....

And if someone in the area wants to invite everyone after the tournament to do crews and other events then I'm all for it. It would just be best for the venue and less stressful for the owner for us to be out of there around midnight, if not earlier.

Pritch

Smash Lord
Oh. So it is.

Well, my point still stands in regards to evening tournaments. It seems like it just unnecessarily limits the time available to do stuff.

Again, not directed specifically at this tournament - it just seems like this is what louisiana in general likes to do, and it makes very little sense to me.

Curlz

Smash Lord
I learned that starting tournaments too early, between noon and 3pm, is too hard for people to make. For FFF all the tournaments scheduled at noon were canceled because of lack of entries, and from 3pm - 5pm is when the store gets the most business and if there is a tournament it will push the costumers away. (if there is a lot of activity in the store the person just either wont go in or will go shop somewhere else.)

So starting around 5pm - 6pm is the best time we can start.

Its still 6-7 hours to run a tournament.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
hmm, that's pretty silly

whatever, i'm not going, so bleh

(hi, avery, lee, and austin if you guys read this)

SetsumA

Smash Apprentice
WEEEEELLLLLL A BIRD BIRD BIRD BIRD IS THE WORD!

Yeah, I'll probably be going to this if enough people plan on attending.

We need to do crews that would be fun as hell.

Pritch

Smash Lord
why is FoD a counterpick but PS a neutral?
I dunno, I feel like fountain is more unbalanced than stadium, personally. Fox infiniting you on walls is dumb in the abstract, but honestly I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times that's actually happened to me in the last couple of years in tournament or friendly matches (and bear in mind that also counts tournaments in fl, which is absolutely crawling with solid to ridiculous foxes). Besides, the part people tend to gloss over is that while the walls let fox do silly stuff like that they also HEAVILY restrict his ability to run away from you, which at least for me is absolutely huge (peach vs fox).

Fountain, on the other hand, is ridiculously good for marth and sheik (imo as good as stadium is for fox, particularly for marth), really strong for peach if you're not against marth, and most importantly is the absolute worst non-banned stage for falcon in the entire game. Doesn't seem close to me.

Turazrok

Smash Master
hmm, that's pretty silly

whatever, i'm not going, so bleh

(hi, avery, lee, and austin if you guys read this)
Says the marth mainer.

I wish I could go Curlz, but my parents basically said no more OoT for the rest of the year.

Pritch

Smash Lord
Point them at hungrybox and colbol, who have been doing that since they were 14 (and hanging out with a crew that is pretty much continuously high, but probably don't mention that part) and now make money playing the game.:bee:

For real though, sucks that your parents won't let you out to play. Hopefully you can change that at some point.

Turazrok

Smash Master
Their main reason is " You never win.". Can't argue with that. No johns.

Entreri

Smash Cadet
so we should change the neutral from ps to fod. not that it really matters with stage striking.

Curlz

Smash Lord
Their main reason is " You never win.". Can't argue with that. No johns.
Yeah, my parents were the same way when I first joined a year ago. Then I came across the wonderful action of sneaking out.

so we should change the neutral from ps to fod. not that it really matters with stage striking.
This is LA's official ruleset. Since I don't play the game, I don't feel I should make any changes to it. :-/

'V'

Smash Lord
I guess I'll never understand why people think PS should be CP...

I've heard it's because Falco's beast on this stage? I think Fox is more beast personally. Plus stage striking, so people can just get rid of it. And FoD ruins Falcon. Leave it as is.

IShouldBeStudying

Smash Apprentice
Louisiana doesn't have "official" rules. We just use the old MBR rules, and we haven't updated. I think it's time.

edit: and vaughn, i disagree. I've been playing falcon very furiously, lately, and i never have much trouble on FoD.
As far as a stage being a starter or a CP stage, FoD is less "random" than PS.

edit2: lol, wiggans, i'll accept your $2 money match. =)

D

Deleted member

fod is way more neutral than ps. and for the record fod is the stage i beat kyle on more than any others as falcon. i think the stage changing on ps1 makes it an obvious bad neutral (esspecially the rock part omg), but the key is when the stage changes there become little walls on the side of the stage before it gets to the metal edge. making 2 points to stop your rolls and who ever get puts on the ground there is really ****ed. now i personally love ps because ill be playing fox and its too good for him with the low ceiling and weird changes but its not fair to everyone else ;)
at the same time it doesnt really matter with stage striking becuase it will just be struck first against any foxes so i really dont care if you change it or not. that was just my opinion.

curlz: wheres our money?

ken: wheres my money?

hahaha sorry just thought that would be funny

trey: thats why your parents need to let you come train with me so that you CAN win and then they'll have a reason to let you go. i live with my dad for real if that helps?

Turazrok

Smash Master
fod is way more neutral than ps. and for the record fod is the stage i beat kyle on more than any others as falcon. i think the stage changing on ps1 makes it an obvious bad neutral (esspecially the rock part omg), but the key is when the stage changes there become little walls on the side of the stage before it gets to the metal edge. making 2 points to stop your rolls and who ever get puts on the ground there is really ****ed. now i personally love ps because ill be playing fox and its too good for him with the low ceiling and weird changes but its not fair to everyone else ;)
at the same time it doesnt really matter with stage striking becuase it will just be struck first against any foxes so i really dont care if you change it or not. that was just my opinion.

curlz: wheres our money?

ken: wheres my money?

hahaha sorry just thought that would be funny

trey: thats why your parents need to let you come train with me so that you CAN win and then they'll have a reason to let you go. i live with my dad for real if that helps?
T_T I know. If this was a possibility it would only be on weekends ( weird nazi techonology parents, not even sposed to be on SWF right now lol) and I wish you could teach me the ways of beard.. I bet I could win then.

Pritch

Smash Lord
My opinion on the new MBR ruleset, copy/pasted from the backroom:

I honestly don't agree with their current stages. I think the counter stage list is way limited, and I think stadium is better as a neutral than FoD, for reasons I already went over in the laffy melee tournament thread (cliffnotes version is that stadium is really good (read: potentially unbalanced) for basically just fox, while FoD is ridiculously strong for marth, sheik, and a few others while also destroying falcon).

I also don't think mute is sufficiently broken to warrant a ban - the only reason that's even on the table is because of plank's goofy sheik-biased stage list for the last Pound, which met with a lot of opposition there but was basically overruled by plank going "it's my tournament, deal with it." Same goes for corneria, though I think it's closer to the line (not because it's broken, but because it's way campy). Don't particularly have a problem with pokefloats either - it's functionally the same as cruise, albeit a little more extreme. Yes, it's hard for floaties and ICs get destroyed there, but again it doesn't seem broken enough to actually warrant a ban.

(Note btw that while I am a peach player arguing to keep mute on the list I'm also for leaving on 2 pretty actively bad stages for me. Hopefully this shuts down any bias arguements before they start.)

I think that we've done a pretty good job already of eliminating the truly broken stages from tournaments, and further bannings just unnecessarily limit stage variety. At this stage of the game people should know how to play on the more extreme stages and/or have counterpick characters if they can't handle certain situations.
The more important bit is about the counterpick stages, as stage striking makes the issue of neutrals fairly moot. As an aside, I hate how the stage striking makes basically every first match get played on FD or battlefield (usually FD), but I can't really see a way around that.

D

Deleted member

i have to poop.

ken did you stop playing LoL? me and kyle are playing again and we are beasts. you should play with us. what games are you playing in general?

IShouldBeStudying

Smash Apprentice
I haven't touched LoL in a while. Text me next time you play, I'll try join.
I've been trying to get into really good shape for my tae tournaments coming up... is actuary studying a game?
I wanted to go to that death valley smash thing, but I can't make it. =(

D

Deleted member

so north florida has a tournament on this day with a $200+ first place pot. i might go play rice for the money instead of this. haha. thinking about it.

Top Bottom