• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lack of DI in Best Buy demo?

Gami

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheOrigamiGamer
3DS FC
2750-1106-0597
I was able to attend the Costa Mesa Best Buy event, and once my friends and I got to play, after three hours in line, we had a blast!

However, I was trying to DI some of my friend's hits. It didn't seem like it had any effect. Granted we were playing with some pretty distracting conditions. Items on, Wily's Castle, 2 minute time limit, and the Yellow Devil never left!

I watched an interview where Armada and M2K we're giving their thoughts on the game. M2K said that DI wasn't in the game at all, and he hopes Sakurai adds it in. What are your thoughts?

Could DI have not been programmed into the Best Buy demo of the game?
Do you think it will be in the final release?

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
DI makes about half of the game's moves almost useless, so I wouldn't mind it being gone.

TheGoldMan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheGoldMan
3DS FC
1950-8066-7015
I think it'll be added. E3 and "Winter 2014" is long apart.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
There is DI in the game it's influence while being hit is a lot lower. There is no known SDI which is what made multihit moves not as good.

Last edited:

pizzapie7

Smash Ace
SDI is practically confirmed out at this point, but DI is just in, only lowered. Or at least that's everything I've heard. DI going away is a major blow to what makes Smash Smash.

PCHU

Smash Lord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KQYRSJJ3O0

I'm not saying that this most certainly is SDI, but I do recall one of the Nintendo reps saying that it was harder to do this time around (not impossible as others [myself included] have said).

That being said, I'd like to address something said earlier:
DI makes about half of the game's moves almost useless, so I wouldn't mind it being gone.
Sort of.
Still, in Brawl, you still saw people getting hit with MK's ftilt, fair, and bair, not to mention (if I recall correctly), Pikachu can't really get punished for his dsmash even if you SDI out due to you still being in hitstun.
I think people take SDI a bit too far in terms of how often it's performed; I've fought several decent players and I catch them getting the more ridiculous wall techs than truly successful SDI.
If anything, I'd say crouch canceling is worse because it actually shrugs off multihit moves rather than simply provide you a way to escape.

Cassio

Smash Master
That is SDI. Its still in. People are noobs :p (I was able to do it with one of my friends at a best buy demo).

DI is still in too, I think the range is lower though.

Last edited:

ahannoush4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Drazzle
DI?
SDI?

I'm really bad with acronyms if someone would kindly help me :)

Raijinken

Smash Master
DI?
SDI?

I'm really bad with acronyms if someone would kindly help me :)
DI = Directional Influence, modifying your knockback trajectory by hitting the joystick the way you would RATHER be going.
SDI = Smash Directional Influence. Lets you reposition yourself during freezeframes, resulting in a different launch.

Edit: Beaten to the punch while typing my response >.<

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Normal DI really felt the same to me; I was able to live to 200% with DK just by using DI right (though heavies seem to really get more survival out of their weight than they did in past games in general which helped too). I'm really not convinced by reports that normal DI has been toned down. SDI is apparently still in but way, way weaker; I'll admit I failed to notice it in the demo, but I didn't really test extensively for it.

Top Bottom