• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LA Tourney Info / Impressions [Pit Stall video (and more)!!!]

paOol

Smash Apprentice
so basically, everyone sucked ass? what about the finalists?
i wish i entered lol but it was already like 3pm when i saw.

batsman415

Smash Cadet
was the free kiosk packed? im planning on going to wondercon (after finding out about the tragic age limit rule), and wanna noe if i can drop by and play me some brawl.

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
Much of the first half of the event was a cavalcade of inadequacy (although I'm sure the classic controllers didn't help). I cringed as I watched every missed opportunity to shield-grab, even as the finals were close at hand. That's not to say it wasn't good times though.

Items were a big part of the event, as was said. Skill alone does not get you the crystal Wii. Maybe that will offer consolation to those who could not compete.

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
I didn't try the free kiosk because I knew I would get a single fight in, at best, and because I had already played Brawl extensively at the NWR Brawl party, that's why I wasn't dying to play it at any cost.

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
I sure as hell wouldn't know either way. This one Korean had a posse of about twenty with him, the one the OP refers to...

The finalists all went by their first names, but that may have just been one of Nintendo's rules.

iankobe

Smash Lord
Great post. Thanks for sharing. I really did enjoy reading this post about the tourney.

This only makes us want to play more even MORE!

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
Actually, I was wondering....

What's the configuration for the classic controller? Are you allowed to remap the buttons?

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
You're not allowed to remap. I can only assume it uses the default classic controller setup, which makes it B to attack, Y to special attack, and A and X to jump.

XACE-K

Smash Master
You have to be 18 or older to enter the tournament! F***. Well I could still do the free play set-up when it comes to New York.

Vadorojo

Smash Apprentice
You're not allowed to remap. I can only assume it uses the default classic controller setup, which makes it B to attack, Y to special attack, and A and X to jump.
You've gotten the buttons mixed up. The controls were the defaults for the Classic Controller as seen in this Dojo photo:

B is the bottom-left clear button (in the South compass position), while A is the furthest right (in the East compass position). X and Y are both Jump.

As a side note, I used X and Y to jump (as I do in Melee) because I don't like tap-jumping. Also, the second joystick DOES work like the C-stick.

TheJalapeno

Smash Ace
It was fun but the line was too **** long for one Kiosk if you're under 16. And they pulled the 18 or older rule at the last minute.

Vadorojo

Smash Apprentice
Gimpyfish showed up mk well in his vids, was any1 good with meta at the tourney?
Not really. The only Metaknights I saw were in the first 1-2 rounds. I guess the Forward-B spamming failed them ... and it didn't help that they all failed to land his Final Smash. :laugh:

Speaking of Gimpyfish, I was half-hoping he'd be there ... he's a Smash celebrity after all! But only 1 person played Bowser that I saw and I would be very, very surprised if it had been Gimpy. I didn't see a single out-of-shield Up-B or a single FAir, two of Bowser's most excellent moves.

karnihilist

Smash Rookie
it was funny to see Resetti in the Bowser match... Resetti is that assist trophy Animal Crossing thingy. I'm sure he pissed off the players with his long and pointless dialogue, but it made everyone in the crowd laugh.

Vadorojo

Smash Apprentice
it was funny to see Resetti in the Bowser match... Resetti is that assist trophy Animal Crossing thingy. I'm sure he pissed off the players with his long and pointless dialogue, but it made everyone in the crowd laugh.
And he ate some Ray Gun fire for Bowser, too! Mr. Resetti is like an unbreakable, loudmouth shield!!!

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
This tourney seems like some odd cross of casual and tourneytard. It looks like no stock. 4 minutes. Starters only. All items. Battlefield.

Sounds fun, my hype stays strong.

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
Thanks for explaining about the controllers!

I'm gonna go to the tourney in SF. Unfortunately, the only thing I can do to prepare is to watch videos. ;(

Chaos_Dude

Smash Apprentice
Hi everyone. My brother reminded me about this site after the tournament so I think I should give my two cents anyway. I was that most wonderful Tomato-red Kirby who somehow, be it skill, luck, or a little of both managed to come in first at the LA tournament. I had a really great time and a few of the matches I participated in came were really close. My second match against a Meta-Knight was one such event as well as my third to last against a Pit player who I was told was Ken (I asked if he was "Marth Ken" and he said yes but that's just going by what he said. I could be wrong since I've never actually met him before.)

I've seen a few questions regarding controls and I would like to point out that we were limited to classic controllers. My friends and I had brought Gamecube controllers with us but one of the event personnel told us that they weren't allowed to be used (which makes sense since the Wiis were in plastic cases). Originally I was going to use Ness but another friend of mine told me that Kirby had gotten a lot better. Since Ness wasn't allowed, I figured I'd take his advice and it apparently payed off. As stated previously, all of the matches were four minute timed matches except for the final which was an untimed three-stock.

I would also like to defend the Ike player in the video. I've seen him get a lot of crap for playing "poorly" in his last match but if you were there, you'd remember how well he was doing before, especially in his match against Bowser. I honestly think he choked at the end because he had been doing much better towards the beginning of the tournament. After all, he had to get to the finals, didn't he?

kingkong

Smash Rookie
It was fun but the line was too **** long for one Kiosk if you're under 16. And they pulled the 18 or older rule at the last minute.
they did? im 17 so just wondering if i can still compete. btw, nice job chaosdude. kirby ftw.

to chaosdude: so did you receive that "crystal" wii and brawl? so do you actually have one of the first american brawl? thats sweet.

Chaos_Dude

Smash Apprentice
First off, I hate to break it to you but there was a guy who was supposed to turn 18 in four days ahead of us in line and they wouldn't let him participate. My friend's brother was 14 so he got outed, too. It's a real shame. The kiosk line is a monster so, although they say you can play Brawl there, expect a long wait.

As for what I got, I came expecting first place to receive what you mentioned. Unfortunately (or maybe not) for me, that's the prize for the NATIONAL winner. This was regional so I only got a $500 giftcard to Best Buy however they're flying me to New York (all paid expenses... nice) where I'll be competing in the National tournament right after the New York regional tournament. If I win that I get a crystal wii and a bunch of other cool stuff. Brawl, a big screen TV and sound system, and some other stuff.

EDIT: Geez, how rude of me. thanks for the congratulations, kingkong.

kingkong

Smash Rookie
f**k! well good luck with the nationals.

one more question: did they announce the 18 limit last minute? i was planning to go to the one in sf but i dont wanna waste my time going there if i cant compete.

Chaos_Dude

Smash Apprentice
Yeah. My friend wouldn't have brought his brother if we'd known. Also, at the beginning we were told 4 minute three stock which was changed to four minute timed and we were also originally told that everything would be unlocked from the beginning and that changed too.

If, for some reason you decide to go anyway, remember to bring your DS if you have one. eight player bomberman was, excuse the pun, a blast.

Vadorojo

Smash Apprentice
Um... any chance his name was Ken Hoang?
That might have been it, actually ... but I can't say for sure. He had short (almost buzzed) hair and was on the thinner side, but that's about all I know.

EDIT: As ChasoDude mentioned, the Ken we're referring to said that he was, indeed, the Marth Ken, but we only have his word to take for it.

Judging by the amount of cheering he got, however, I wouldn't be surprised if he was, in fact, the Marth Ken. :)

Vadorojo

Smash Apprentice
f**k! well good luck with the nationals.

one more question: did they announce the 18 limit last minute? i was planning to go to the one in sf but i dont wanna waste my time going there if i cant compete.
All the tourneys will be 18+ only according to Nintendo. I would hardly say they announced it "last minute" ... we knew at about noon or so ... a good three hours before the doors opened.

Vadorojo

Smash Apprentice
Hi everyone. My brother reminded me about this site after the tournament so I think I should give my two cents anyway. I was that most wonderful Tomato-red Kirby who somehow, be it skill, luck, or a little of both managed to come in first at the LA tournament. I had a really great time and a few of the matches I participated in came were really close. My second match against a Meta-Knight was one such event as well as my third to last against a Pit player who I was told was Ken (I asked if he was "Marth Ken" and he said yes but that's just going by what he said. I could be wrong since I've never actually met him before.)

I've seen a few questions regarding controls and I would like to point out that we were limited to classic controllers. My friends and I had brought Gamecube controllers with us but one of the event personnel told us that they weren't allowed to be used (which makes sense since the Wiis were in plastic cases). Originally I was going to use Ness but another friend of mine told me that Kirby had gotten a lot better. Since Ness wasn't allowed, I figured I'd take his advice and it apparently payed off. As stated previously, all of the matches were four minute timed matches except for the final which was an untimed three-stock.

I would also like to defend the Ike player in the video. I've seen him get a lot of crap for playing "poorly" in his last match but if you were there, you'd remember how well he was doing before, especially in his match against Bowser. I honestly think he choked at the end because he had been doing much better towards the beginning of the tournament. After all, he had to get to the finals, didn't he?
First and foremost, congrats dude! You played Kirby well in that final match. Out of curiosity, were you the same Kirby that played earlier with the "Skrai" tag and the white color scheme on the big screen?

You're right about the Ike player—he played well in the Ike/Mario match I saw, but in my post, I only mention that final round (in which you smoked him pretty soundly) and wasn't trying to give an impression of his overall play.

Once again, congrats on the victory and be sure to represent LA well in the final 4! :)

Top Bottom