• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LA Tourney Info / Impressions [Pit Stall video (and more)!!!]

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Thanks for the impressions, Vadorojo! Glad to hear that people were there to have fun, and it's good to know that you enjoyed yourself. Congrats on doing so well!

Hi everyone. My brother reminded me about this site after the tournament so I think I should give my two cents anyway. I was that most wonderful Tomato-red Kirby who somehow, be it skill, luck, or a little of both managed to come in first at the LA tournament. I had a really great time and a few of the matches I participated in came were really close. My second match against a Meta-Knight was one such event as well as my third to last against a Pit player who I was told was Ken (I asked if he was "Marth Ken" and he said yes but that's just going by what he said. I could be wrong since I've never actually met him before.)

I've seen a few questions regarding controls and I would like to point out that we were limited to classic controllers. My friends and I had brought Gamecube controllers with us but one of the event personnel told us that they weren't allowed to be used (which makes sense since the Wiis were in plastic cases). Originally I was going to use Ness but another friend of mine told me that Kirby had gotten a lot better. Since Ness wasn't allowed, I figured I'd take his advice and it apparently payed off. As stated previously, all of the matches were four minute timed matches except for the final which was an untimed three-stock.

I would also like to defend the Ike player in the video. I've seen him get a lot of crap for playing "poorly" in his last match but if you were there, you'd remember how well he was doing before, especially in his match against Bowser. I honestly think he choked at the end because he had been doing much better towards the beginning of the tournament. After all, he had to get to the finals, didn't he?
Wow...you could be the nicest Smasher on the planet. :grin: Seriously! You even defend the runner-up. I'd say you deserve to win just because you seem so kind. Great job, though. It's nice to see Kirby on top again, haha. If I can attend--and with any luck--perhaps I will see you in New York! (My spring break starts March 7th, so I might be able to head up to NYC on Saturday for the big tourney.)

KungLao

Smash Rookie
Chaos_Dude - Congrats. Sounds like a good time was had. I have a question if you don't mind; how many matches did you play total and how often were your breaks in between?

Silfa

Smash Ace
Congrats Chaos_Dude! Enjoyed watching your match and I hope you do well at the Nationals.

It'd be cool if Aus got some tourneys. :[

Vadorojo

Smash Apprentice
Chaos_Dude - Congrats. Sounds like a good time was had. I have a question if you don't mind; how many matches did you play total and how often were your breaks in between?
I believe it's 8 matches to be the winner

256 -> 128 -> 64 -> 32 -> 16 -> 8 -> 4 -> 2 -> 1

Yup! 8 x (->) = 8 matches.

Lemme see if I remember where we had 5 minute breaks.

256 -> 128 (5 minutes) -> 64 (5 minutes) -> 32 -> 16 (5 minutes) -> 8 -> 4 (5 minutes) -> 2 -> 1

I think that was it. I'm not entirely sure ... but on principle, there were breaks between the large sets because so many more matches had to be played and thus, more people were always on call (and didn't want to go to the bathroom and risk missing their match! ;))

Chaos_Dude

Smash Apprentice
Thanks, everyone. Let me try to answer some of these in order:

No, I wasn't the skrai Kirby, though that was pretty funny. I was Red Kirby the entire time and for six out of the eight matches I played I was at the very leftmost screen. If I recall correctly there were either four or five five-minute breaks in between. As for Ken, all I know is that he told me he was Marth Ken when I asked him and I had about four people congratulate me after the match for beating him. He seemed tough enough to be him, anyway.

Anyway, I'm flattered by Aeris' comment about how nice I am. I tried to be as good a sport about the entire thing as possible. I'm an Eagle Scout and we kinda got drilled a lot about good sportsmanship and the like. I would recommend that anyone who feels like they couldn't possibly win a Brawl tournament go to the remaining tournaments if they can. This is the first tournament I've ever won in my life so never feel like you can't do it. It's a free tourney so you really have nothing to lose.

Vadorojo

Smash Apprentice
I would recommend that anyone who feels like they couldn't possibly win a Brawl tournament go to the remaining tournaments if they can. This is the first tournament I've ever won in my life so never feel like you can't do it. It's a free tourney so you really have nothing to lose.
Well said—that's exactly the kind of attitude I took to the tourney and I certainly wasn't disappointed! Why complain about free and early Brawl and free Best Buy $$?

Also: my friend managed to put up our videos! I added them to the post, but you can find them at his Youtube profile here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/qraptor

Included in the bunch is the Pit vs. Fox Round 3 match I described!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqu_8EnAeXk

Be sure to check out my friend's great comeback against Sheik in Round 1 though!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kqNGy2Nz-8

I know the videos aren't the best quality in the world ... and I apologize for the crazy shaking at the end of the PT vs. Sheik one, but gimme a break! I was excited for my buddy!:laugh:

NoNessNoProblem

Smash Ace
These matches probably give people confidence they can advance, not saying your bad or anything because you are a great player, and i hope you do well. It's going to suck in SF i just hope all the noobs get taking out the 1st couple rounds and i hope that most of the people that post on here are in that 64 finalists. Here's to praying i don't see one of your 1st match... :(

Vadorojo

Smash Apprentice
These matches probably give people confidence they can advance, not saying your bad or anything because you are a great player, and i hope you do well. It's going to suck in SF i just hope all the noobs get taking out the 1st couple rounds and i hope that most of the people that post on here are in that 64 finalists. Here's to praying i don't see one of your 1st match... :(
Don't worry about it! Remember: you've got nothing to lose—you're playing Brawl and getting a Best Buy gift card for free! And did I mention that you're playing Brawl?! :laugh:

As my Pit video shows, items play a huge role in the tournament success—I ran around hogging all the Pokeballs, ATs and anything else that dropped! The best advice I can give you is to stay on your toes and try to be the first to the game-changing items! =D In the mean time, I suppose you might want to try to smack your opponent around or dodge his attacks, too. ;)

NoNessNoProblem

Smash Ace
Don't worry about it! Remember: you've got nothing to lose—you're playing Brawl and getting a Best Buy gift card for free! And did I mention that you're playing Brawl?! :laugh:

As my Pit video shows, items play a huge role in the tournament success—I ran around hogging all the Pokeballs, ATs and anything else that dropped! The best advice I can give you is to stay on your toes and try to be the first to the game-changing items! =D In the mean time, I suppose you might want to try to smack your opponent around or dodge his attacks, too. ;)
yea items play a big role in the tourney i like to throw items instead of usin them.

bimachris

Smash Rookie
How hard were they checking the IDs? Did anyone managed to sneak in? What about parental consent?

Also, I heard that people can divided into groups of 16. Did you fight people within your own group or people of other groups? Because I might go with a bunch of my friends and if they're going to group us all togethor, I don't want us to take each other out in the beginner. :dizzy: Lol you know what I'm saying?

KungLao

Smash Rookie
How hard were they checking the IDs? Did anyone managed to sneak in? What about parental consent?

Also, I heard that people can divided into groups of 16. Did you fight people within your own group or people of other groups? Because I might go with a bunch of my friends and if they're going to group us all togethor, I don't want us to take each other out in the beginner. :dizzy: Lol you know what I'm saying?
Good call.

Is the grouping random or is it just whoever is close to you in line will most likely be in your group?

bimachris

Smash Rookie
Yeah because if that we're the case, I'd rather be seperate my friends in the line so more of us have a chance of making it further.

NoNessNoProblem

Smash Ace
Most tourneys that i go to if u tell ahead of time that you are with a bunch of friends i don't think they will pair you up, unless you get someone who knows someone thats entering and they want to eliminate all the good people in the 1st round by playing a good person v a good person..i've seen this countless times in tourneys but i don't like to say anything because i rarely go with friends.

bimachris

Smash Rookie
Most tourneys that i go to if u tell ahead of time that you are with a bunch of friends i don't think they will pair you up, unless you get someone who knows someone thats entering and they want to eliminate all the good people in the 1st round by playing a good person v a good person..i've seen this countless times in tourneys but i don't like to say anything because i rarely go with friends.
Yeah I guess but this is different, since it's a free tournament I don't think they'll really care because it's just a promotional event and since you didn't pay to enter, you have no say. Wouldn't they just do what's easiest for them?

NoNessNoProblem

Smash Ace
Yeah I guess but this is different, since it's a free tournament I don't think they'll really care because it's just a promotional event and since you didn't pay to enter, you have no say. Wouldn't they just do what's easiest for them?
true just go with your crew...see what happens good luck :chuckle:

Chaos_Dude

Smash Apprentice
If you go with friends, you'll be in the same bracket unless you're on their cusps but they mix it up so that you don't have to fight your buddies first.

bimachris

Smash Rookie
Oh so if you tell them you guys know each other, they'll take the effort out to mix you guys up? That's pretty good I guess on their part.

Top Bottom