• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KOS-MOS Returning to Battle: DLC Season 2.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hey guys so after taking another look at the 5chan leak, there was one bit that caught my eye and it was the very last sentence the leak mentioned.

"Unfortunately, there won't be any promotions from mii costumes."

I've seen this line interpreted in 2 ways. Either

1.) this leak is claiming no pre-existing mii costumes will be promoted to Deluxe status

2.) The leak is claiming pre-existing mii costumes like Lloyd and Geno will not be reintroduced as proper DLC characters
For 2 I doubt that to be the case since 4 Smash 4 Mii costumes got promoted in base game K. Rool, Inkling, Isabelle, and Chrom all got promoted playable and their costumes came back as well. I'm expecting at least one of the missing Smash 4 Mii costumes to get promoted as a DLC fighter.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
If any of the Mii costumes promote, then I am betting on Monster Hunter the most, but I doubt we will have them over Dante if there is a Capcom rep. For me, Geno is going to come this Thursday with Sephiroth, Lloyd will come with KOS-MOS if she is in.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Ehh, nothing about this leak strongly hints at either Crash, KOS-MOS, or Reimu at the moment, especially with Crash being slated as the next character following Sephiroth. We can't deny how loud and large his fanbase is within the entire Smash community. He's one of those character choices who makes a whole lot of sense, but is so logical a choice that it could have been anyone's guess. Crash would be hype for many... but also predictable in that same vein. The situation regarding Crash does not prove the rest of the Pass being real, but the Pass can prove Crash if Reimu or KOS-MOS get announced before he does. I have no hopes for this leak though so I'll REfrain from speculation.

Also, I'd probably start to worry if we get Crash next and no Namco costume is present in his Pass at all. I'd assume that there would be at least some degree of buildup/hint toward a potential Namco fighter later in the Pass, but it feels more like Sakurai/Nintendo/Bamco just don't care to add anyone aside from Pac-Man. Really, the way we're headed with a second Bamco rep feels like we'll hear Sakurai go "we didn't feel like adding anyone else" after he gives his final thoughts on Smash Ultimate's final content. You'd think Nintendo would have revealed a second Bamco rep by now and save the "bigger" third-party companies for later, but they're holding off from it? Dunno what they could possibly gain from doing that. That's just me being jaded though.

Putting all of that aside, Sephiroth's trailer was amazing, and he looks like he'll be really interesting to fight against. I think his presentation is right up there with Ultimate's first "EVERYONE. IS. HERE." trailer.

Hmm, as much I want KOS-MOS, after the previous ""leak"" around the Game Award from 2019, can't help but raise a eyebrow for the time being. Not to say the leak we have now is totally fake, but better be careful than being blinded by hopes & dreams.

Also, if you want more supporter for the character, don't support KOS-MOS to shut the haters. I know it's very tempting at time, but she ain't in a position right now where it would help much, better act chill when peoples are open for discussion & avoid the peoples who who will throw baby arguments at you because they can't even do a single research on Google to know what she could actually bring up to the table. (that, and it's still so weird Namco as only 1 rep so far, I know they don't want to abuse their very good relation with Nintendo, but I think now they deserve one more character at the very least)
In other words, don't give her detractors any ammo. It's very easy getting confident over something that vaguely points in her direction as far as playability goes, but nothing is guaranteed. Even if it ends up being true in some way and she does become playable, gloating about it is not a good image. I've said this before and I'll say it again: Just having her playable after silently cheering for her for so long is victory enough. Living rent-free in the heads of bitter, angry gatekeepers is its own little bonus.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
As strange as it sounds, I think at this point Kosmos is just going to be a permanent character in speculation from now on. Not talking just about DLC here, but as in future smash installments included.

Many people gloated that she was just a fad propelled by trolls and fake leaks, and while conversation did die down for a while (hey, that December was ****ing painful), here we are a year later. I see more people that I would never suspect saying things like "I would be ok with her" or "I can see her happening". She placed in the top 50 in that Sourcegaming megapoll this year, which might not sound great, but it's damn crazy when considering this character wasn't even registering before. When I watch prediction videos from Japanese youtubers or nicovideo, they actually include her in their videos. Unlike characters like Elma and Rex people can't just throw the recency argument at her because that's not where her fanbase and arguments for inclusion come from.

I said this in a post in the speculation thread, but the smash community is effectively stuck with us now. Because Monolith is a part of Nintendo now and they already got their foot in Smash. It would be one thing if Nintendo was actively opposed to them referencing their past work, but it's abundantly clear with XB2 that's not the case, not like it wasn't clear from the moment Iwata told them to call Monado XENOblade instead. Now this year we got Future Connected, that, even though it had no Kosmos it gave us even more blatant throwbacks with the Gnosis King and the Shulk Effect, also the Kosmos:Re figure co-owned by Nintendo themselves. And who could forget the chad powermove from Monolith of putting her front and center on their website for the anniversary of the company?

And it's not just Monolith. There are still enough fans out there to justify selling merch of her on the first place. Her announcement for XB2 got more retweets and likes than any other, eclipsing even the guest characters from the other Xenoblade games. The fans are still there almost 15 years later. It's honestly a bit crazy to me.

Even outside Smash I see more and more people in the western Xenoblade community looking fondly to the past. I noticed recently that in the Xenoblade subreddit they added tags for Xenogears and Xenosaga, since people wanted to discuss those games in there. I've also seen the Xenoblade wiki start a discord called Xenowiki that they share with the Xenosaga one, although I don't know the details. In imageboards like 4chan all xeno games are discussed (and ****posted) together as a matter of fact. One XB2 speedrunner I know, Enel, who has like a billion guide videos on youtube and is assisting Chuggaconroy with his XB2 let's play, has started his own let's play of Xenosaga and plans to speedrun the games in the future.

I don't know. When I look at how things are, how things are progressing, I can't imagine a world where if she doesn't make it in this game, that she won't be in a good chunk of speculation for the next one. And with speculation comes support of course, which Nintendo and Sakurai pay attention to.

I'm not sure about where I wanted to go with this. Be hopeful about the future I guess. Don't stress too much about it, things are looking pretty alright, all things considered.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
As far as I see it, if there are any new Bandai Namco characters that have a realistic shot at the end of the day, they are Nightmare, Lloyd Irving, and KOS-MOS.
Exactly what I was thinking. Those 3 are the only realistic Namco characters to be the next Namco rep.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Hey guys so after taking another look at the 5chan leak, there was one bit that caught my eye and it was the very last sentence the leak mentioned.

"Unfortunately, there won't be any promotions from mii costumes."

I've seen this line interpreted in 2 ways. Either...

1.) this leak is claiming no pre-existing costumes will be promoted to Deluxe status

2.) The leak is claiming pre-existing mii costumes like Lloyd and Geno will not be reintroduced as proper DLC characters

going back to the first point, we will find out if this is true or not on Thursday during the mii costume showcase. If the Geno costume returns with nothing changed or added, it could give the leak more credibility. Likewise if the Geno costume returns as a deluxe mii with music tracks, it could hurt the leak.

It's a 50/50 gamble.
I think it is #2 and I'm only speculating here but it seems the plan in the base game was probably upgraded mii costumes so they probably wont be touching those anymore. If we get Geno mii on Thursday I feel like it's a done deal but i'll still be cautious about it. We have not had a single mii fighter upgraded in both fighter passes so far and while it is very likely this "rule" could break in the next reveals, I feel like it will not. It seems clear that the focus on both fighter passes is 3rd parties (Min min and Byleth as the only exceptions) and while I still feel like Breath of the wild 2 Zelda is pretty likely I feel like another Nintendo character wont happen at the same time.

And regarding Crash.... people speculate him because of that activision smash revival thing right? I think it said the first phase in plans was Crash 4 which obviously happened and maybe he happens in smash next or later. I dont know but it makes sense since that activision "leak" has not been disproven yet. That's where Crash speculation comes from for sure. If he happens I'll keep my eye on this more but as of right now it's really a gamble as you mentioned. If Geno does not return Thursday as a mii then this whole leak will fall apart instantly. It's that simple. If Lloyd returns Thursday then KOS-MOS's only hope left is that she is a Xeno rep.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'll be honest, if the Lloyd Mii costume returns and we still don't get either KOS-MOS or Nightmare as the Namco rep, it's going to be bizarre as hell. Namco not getting a 2nd rep in this game would feel weird since the have been co-developing the past 2 Smash games with Nintendo. I expect Ultimate to have a Namco newcomer.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I wish this was real in ultimate so bad ;-;
That sprite art looking so cleeeeeeaaaaaaannnn tho 👀 👌

AND IF THAT RUMOR IS TRUE THAT CRASH PART WILL BE A REALITY

and assuming that’s T-elos in the Fountain of Dreams part I kinda mistook her for Sephiroth for a hot minute lmao

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
That sprite art looking so cleeeeeeaaaaaaannnn tho 👀 👌

AND IF THAT RUMOR IS TRUE THAT CRASH PART WILL BE A REALITY

and assuming that’s T-elos in the Fountain of Dreams part I kinda mistook her for Sephiroth for a hot minute lmao
I think the sprite art is from Card Saga Wars, a MUGEN fighting game.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace

I wish this was real in ultimate so bad ;-;
Wow, that was amazing and exactly what I see her playing like!
As strange as it sounds, I think at this point Kosmos is just going to be a permanent character in speculation from now on. Not talking just about DLC here, but as in future smash installments included.

Many people gloated that she was just a fad propelled by trolls and fake leaks, and while conversation did die down for a while (hey, that December was ****ing painful), here we are a year later. I see more people that I would never suspect saying things like "I would be ok with her" or "I can see her happening". She placed in the top 50 in that Sourcegaming megapoll this year, which might not sound great, but it's damn crazy when considering this character wasn't even registering before. When I watch prediction videos from Japanese youtubers or nicovideo, they actually include her in their videos. Unlike characters like Elma and Rex people can't just throw the recency argument at her because that's not where her fanbase and arguments for inclusion come from.

I said this in a post in the speculation thread, but the smash community is effectively stuck with us now. Because Monolith is a part of Nintendo now and they already got their foot in Smash. It would be one thing if Nintendo was actively opposed to them referencing their past work, but it's abundantly clear with XB2 that's not the case, not like it wasn't clear from the moment Iwata told them to call Monado XENOblade instead. Now this year we got Future Connected, that, even though it had no Kosmos it gave us even more blatant throwbacks with the Gnosis King and the Shulk Effect, also the Kosmos:Re figure co-owned by Nintendo themselves. And who could forget the chad powermove from Monolith of putting her front and center on their website for the anniversary of the company?

And it's not just Monolith. There are still enough fans out there to justify selling merch of her on the first place. Her announcement for XB2 got more retweets and likes than any other, eclipsing even the guest characters from the other Xenoblade games. The fans are still there almost 15 years later. It's honestly a bit crazy to me.

Even outside Smash I see more and more people in the western Xenoblade community looking fondly to the past. I noticed recently that in the Xenoblade subreddit they added tags for Xenogears and Xenosaga, since people wanted to discuss those games in there. I've also seen the Xenoblade wiki start a discord called Xenowiki that they share with the Xenosaga one, although I don't know the details. In imageboards like 4chan all xeno games are discussed (and ****posted) together as a matter of fact. One XB2 speedrunner I know, Enel, who has like a billion guide videos on youtube and is assisting Chuggaconroy with his XB2 let's play, has started his own let's play of Xenosaga and plans to speedrun the games in the future.

I don't know. When I look at how things are, how things are progressing, I can't imagine a world where if she doesn't make it in this game, that she won't be in a good chunk of speculation for the next one. And with speculation comes support of course, which Nintendo and Sakurai pay attention to.

I'm not sure about where I wanted to go with this. Be hopeful about the future I guess. Don't stress too much about it, things are looking pretty alright, all things considered.
This is a great post. I truly feel like we've come a long way in smash speculation just to see her pop up. I still remember the brawl days where I was bumping the first old version of this thread just to get people to reply, I still remember all the times I was disappointed that nobody cared much about her even in smash 4 days where only even a few acknowledged she's possible and while we do have our fair share of haters in ultimate speculation it's still a huge win for me and everyone else that supports her in this thread that she even pops up in speculation. I want the 5ch leak to be real as much as any of you but for now let's enjoy the Sephiroth presentation and see if any mii costumes return.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Do you guys think KOS-MOS would come with other Bandai Namco series content, be it music or Miis?

I definitely believe that if the Lloyd costume from 4 doesn’t return in Sephiroth’s presentation tomorrow it’ll return in KOS-MOS’s. Maybe a few other Bamco costumes too like Nightmare, Chosen Undead, Klonoa, Haruka Amami maybe a Ni No Kuni costume too?

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys think KOS-MOS would come with other Bandai Namco series content, be it music or Miis?

I definitely believe that if the Lloyd costume from 4 doesn’t return in Sephiroth’s presentation tomorrow it’ll return in KOS-MOS’s. Maybe a few other Bamco costumes too like Nightmare, Chosen Undead, Klonoa, Haruka Amami maybe a Ni No Kuni costume too?
I could see Mii's, but music, maybe not that much. I feel like they'd be focused solely on Xenosaga music, they have enough material there anyways. Though you could make a case for KOS-MOS showing up in a lot of crossovers, and so getting some music from those. But I think they'd go for Xenosaga music first and foremost.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oh wait

would Ni No Kuni count as Level-5 as they’re the devs, or Bandai Namco as they’re the publishers? This is doing me a confuse

whatever maybe swap that out with a God Eater costume as that’s a pretty underrated Bamco IP

7NATOR

Smash Master

I think KOS-MOS would probably be like Byleth (and Banjo), that she comes with all variables of Companies. I Imagine there be Nintendo Costumes with her for example. Perhaps Capcom and Sega too as a Reference to the Project X Zone Games

I could see more Namco costumes though. Perhaps we could get Mrs.PAC-MAN as a Pac-Man alt (and maybe Pac-Maze as returning bonus Stage) but that's a Long shot

MattX20

Smash Hero

Miis maybe, but unless if the Bandai Namco characters in question come from a shared universe like SNK's stuff, probably not for music

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Miis maybe, but unless if the Bandai Namco characters in question come from a shared universe like SNK's stuff, probably not for music
We got Metal Slug music right? I don’t think that’s a shared universe with other SNK series is it?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I haven't really been around this thread, really I didn't think kosmos had much chance. And a leak doesn't mean she has more chance, but in any case I like her as a character, I played XenoSaga back in the day, and I have the trilogy but didn't play past the first one, but I should, sometime :)

I support her for smash :)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I think Lloyd's costume returning tomorrow would be a plus for us as that would only leave a Soul Calibur rep as KOS-MOS's competition.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Fio from Metal Slug has appeared in the KOF games a few times implying they are
Didn’t know that, good to know

then again also :ultpacman: has various Namco characters including Heihachi and Valkyrie appearing in sprite form in one of his taunts and they DEFINITELY don’t share a universe with PAC-MAN it would be hilarious if they did tho so they can include a heckin iDOLMASTER Mii with KOS-MOS if they want lmao

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Papagenos mentioned the leak with KOSMOS Reimu and Cashm but says its fake because of KOSMOS....
Imma keep it real with you and say that’s bull

Terry hasn’t had a Fatal Fury game since the late 90’s, only living on in KoF and he got in

and then there’s Banjo’s sitch like u said in the Reimu thread

so if KOS-MOS is in, it’s cause she’s in simple as that

zferolie

Smash Hero
Imma keep it real with you and say that’s bull

Terry hasn’t had a Fatal Fury game since the late 90’s, only living on in KoF and he got in

and then there’s Banjo’s sitch like u said in the Reimu thread

so if KOS-MOS is in, it’s cause she’s in simple as that
Exactly. Honestly I feel KOS-MOS may be a very Sakurai fan pick, Like Terry and Joker.

I.D.

Smash Lord
If she gets in, bet you people will start talking about how obvious she was the entire time much like how Sephiroth was supposedly obvious despite most people writing him off lol.
Wouldn't say obvious but the arguments usually used in her favor would probably become official dogma even though as of now they are considered reaching.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If she gets in, bet you people will start talking about how obvious she was the entire time much like how Sephiroth was supposedly obvious despite most people writing him off lol.
Lol! So true. Most people didn't even see him as even a slight possibility. Billybae10K Billybae10K gave him a 5% chance rating in a episode of Rate Their Chances 2 years ago:

the unholy Grail

Smash Apprentice
Papagenos mentioned the leak with KOSMOS Reimu and Cashm but says its fake because of KOSMOS....
To be specific, he mentioned how the Xenosaga HD remasters were recently turned down from Namco and that seems to be as far as he's willing to talk about her. He thinks that alone is proof that KOS-MOS wont' be a very enticing pick for DLC. Though, to play devils advocate, getting KOS-MOS in smash seems like a surefire way to gauge interest in a Xenosaga HD trilogy remaster or aat the VERY least, get them on switch. And for the love of god, I wish people actually knew how to say her name correctly. IT'S PRONOUNCED KOSE-MOSE. It sucks too because her most recent appearance in Xenoblade 2 butchers the name so hard it falsely leads newcomers into pronouncing her name as "cosmos" or god forbid Cause-Mause.

*Just went on a Xenoblade 2 rant because I may or may not have pulled KOS-MOS again on my 2nd switch account :)

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
To be Fair, The Idea of a Xenosaga Remaster failing profitability Test Is I would say something to consider. I do think Nintendo would have to take that Consideration

However, KOS-MOS is weird that she goes beyond her game, and is more popular character than the game itself. She's been kept Alive by Crossover Apperances, including in the Recent Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Monolith, Who Nintendo Owns, Goes out of their way to License KOS-MOS (and T-LEOS) from Namco into Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Xenoblade 2 isn't the most Casual game like Mario Kart or Smash so going out of their way to do is important to Consider. It shows first the Licensing is cheap

But I think the main thing in KOS-MOS's Favor is that there is interest from both Monolith to Use her, and there's Interest from Harada-San, Who's in a very High Position in Namco, for a Xenosaga Revivial of Some kind.

Sakurai said that Not only does He and Nintendo got to want the Character, but that the 3rd party has got to want the character

Namco is involved with Smash and have shown interest in Reviving Xenosaga, KOS-MOS's Home Series. Monolith shows interest in using the Character.

Because KOS-MOS is Tied to a game like Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Nintendo Can see KOS-MOS as a Character that benefits the Xenoblade Franchise, and Monolith as a Whole. this is because KOS-MOS is seen as the Mascot of sorts of Monolith. I think this is also important because there's more likelyhood of KOS-MOS sticking around than a Character like Rex, since Xenoblade is a Revolving Series, so going with a Character that does keep making Apperances even after her Role in her franchise is over is something to Consider

Nintendo can Benefit from KOS-MOS's Inclusion because she puts more Spotlight on Xenoblade, and potentially other Avenues from Monolith. Namco Benefits in that perhaps this could saw Postive conclusion in next Profitablity test, so there can be Xenosaga Remasters, and that could pay of in the long run. Monolith gets to have their Mascot, and their favorite character in Smash.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Hmm...

You know how Sakurai said he considered ARMS for the base game of Ultimate, it ended up missing out because of timing, got in during DLC, but instead of the main advertised character who was already out in another, non-playable role, it was a character they were also kinda pushing and was popular with fans?

I hope you know where I’m going with this because Xenoblade 2 is in a similar position, call it a crazy hunch but I have a feeling KOS-MOS might have a chance here, her incarnation from Xenoblade 2 specifically KOS-MOS Re.

Something that’s been on my mind for awhile but recently I’ve been really starting to feel it honestly.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
I stopped paying attention to anything that PapaGenos says after his 30+ minute temper tantrum with Byleth.
I'll be honest, I do watch him because he does a good job of summarizing prominent leaks and other content that I don't have time to wade through threads to find. I definitely don't agree with a lot of his opinions, though, and I do still stand by my dislike of his Byleth reaction. Fake or not, it accomplished nothing but spreading negativity when that was the last thing this community needed at the time.

⛧Lord Metallium⛧

Smash Apprentice
I'll be honest, I do watch him because he does a good job of summarizing prominent leaks and other content that I don't have time to wade through threads to find. I definitely don't agree with a lot of his opinions, though, and I do still stand by my dislike of his Byleth reaction. Fake or not, it accomplished nothing but spreading negativity when that was the last thing this community needed at the time.
PapaGenos, RED, Lax Chris are based and in favor of Fortnite, DoomGuy, Master Cheif and any other characters that are just too ridiculous.

Instead why the community look at this characters instead and again forgive me from my hatred but again as i mention many times Jonesy is still in HIGH PLAY and is the dream character for LaxChris, Meanwhile Kos-Mos or any other that has a good series still biting the dust, i mean come on.

Top Bottom