• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KOS-MOS Returning to Battle: DLC Season 2.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If I had to choose between Doom Slayer and Master Chief, honestly? I’d go for Master Chief. Yes, Doom has the legacy factor to it, but Halo has one of my favorite worlds and storytelling in a game series during the 2000s. Plus, CERO would likely take kinder to Chief than Slayer when it comes to gore. Hell, one of the later Halo games was rated T (a step down from their usual M)
I completely agree with you between Doom Slayer and Master Chief I would go with Chief all the way. Chief's the freaking Xbox mascot for God sake. The thought of Xbox's mascot in Smash Bros. is insane and hype inducing.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Huh, is there something that went down that I'm not aware of?
The fate of any possible Xenosaga remake or re-releases are pretty much dead, which goes against the possibility of seeing KOS-MOS in Smash at all. It should be worth noting that you can purchase/play the games that Joker, Hero, Banjo, and Terry are part of.

Meanwhile, if we were to get KOS-MOS even after Harada's statement regarding the series' (Xenosaga specifically) profitability, then it would be highly unusual considering they'd be advertising a character whose games are unavailable in retail.

This whole thing is fishy. IF we get KOS-MOS (and that's a big heccin' chonker of an IF here), I would feel robbed as all hell if I don't see a Xenosaga remake announcement sometime in the future. Another thing to consider, and this time, it's on Cloud's end: He was still around and kicking even within the month of his announcement, which is largely different from where KOS-MOS stands right now.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The fate of any possible Xenosaga remake or re-releases are pretty much dead, which goes against the possibility of seeing KOS-MOS in Smash at all. It should be worth noting that you can purchase/play the games that Joker, Hero, Banjo, and Terry are part of.

Meanwhile, if we were to get KOS-MOS even after Harada's statement regarding the series' (Xenosaga specifically) profitability, then it would be highly unusual considering they'd be advertising a character whose games are unavailable in retail.

This whole thing is fishy. IF we get KOS-MOS (and that's a big heccin' chonker of an IF here), I would feel robbed as all hell if I don't see a Xenosaga remake announcement sometime in the future. Another thing to consider, and this time, it's on Cloud's end: He was still around and kicking even within the month of his announcement, which is largely different from where KOS-MOS stands right now.
Aren’t Banjo’s games currently unavailable for retail too? I’m pretty sure they’re on the Xbox digital store but they’re just that, digital

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Aren’t Banjo’s games currently unavailable for retail too? I’m pretty sure they’re on the Xbox digital store but they’re just that, digital
True, but you can still conveniently purchase and play the games unlike Xenosaga.

Edit: Forgot about Rare Replay

Last edited:

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman

I don't think a character's appearance in Smash has to be linked to them having a new game coming up or re-releases, and even if their games aren't available currently doesn't change anything, it's not like the entire Smash community went and bought different consoles and games just for the newcomers.
Besides, I thought the idea of a Xenosaga remaster came from a while ago, perhaps when the "xeno" series weren't as "popular" as they are progressively becoming right now, especially with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (which has KOS-MOS mind you) and Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition.
Adding KOS-MOS in Smash could just be Sakurai's own choice, or Bandai Namco now sees an opportunity to see whether or not people would want to see a Xenosaga remaster depending on how her addition in Smash is received and on how well the next Xenoblade games will do...

Zebulun

Smash Rookie
After seeing "Daisy Theory" being thrown around again it made me think of an even more obscure connection.

To summarize, here are the things that tie KOS-MOS with Daisy:
  • Female
  • Both being named after flowers ("Cosmos" being a genus for a flower).
  • Daisy is a princess and one of KOS-MOS' aliases is "Princess of First Division"
And I think that's it? There's also Daisy's primary color being orange and the color orange possibly referencing Bandai Namco's logo, but I feel that's a bit much.

Anyways, if we really want to take the leap of faith over this I figure why not have some fun with it! What if Daisy is actually referencing Mary Magdalene?

They share a lot of physical features:
If we continue to take this leap of faith, don't forget Peach's Daisy alt in Melee also referenced the darker skin tone. It's the only one of her four alts that change her skin tone. It wasn't until Mario Party 4 where we got the modern, fair-skinned Daisy. People routinely point out that Sakurai likes to be cheeky and make some deep cuts at times (which is why some of us think Daisy could be a hint at FP5 in the first place). This would lend credence to that by not only obscurely referencing Mary Magdalene, but the classic and forgotten tan-skinned Daisy.

I just thought that was a fun little connection to make based on some coincidences. You'd be shocked at how an overwhelming majority of the roster has blue eyes. Also, if we want to throw undocumented wikia sources into the mix Daisy's height is pegged at 165cm while KOS-MOS/Mary is 167cm.
I was gonna make a post about how the anniversary photo could be a tease for KOS-MOS, but after making a draft of the post, I felt too silly to go on (tbh, I feel silly just admitting I put in any effort in the first place >_>; ) but I'd like to add in some of the connections I found.
  • Cosmoses and Daisies both belong to the Asteraceae family
  • Daisy is using her peace sign taunt. KOS-MOS was built to create peace from the Gnosis. Also, the Cosmos flower can be a symbol of peace.
  • Not really connected to the photo, but on the topic of the meaning of the Cosmos flower, they can also be a symbol of wholeness. If KOS-MOS were to be fp5, she'd be the final character, making the pass whole.
Idk who decides the meaning of flower; I just googled "Cosmos flower meaning" and was led to this site, so I could just be citing a bunch of baloney.

And to clarify, I personally wouldn't put too much faith into thinking the picture has some hidden meaning, and believe this is just another situation of fans reading too much into things. Though I have to admit, after getting over (most of) the initial feeling of ridiculousness for doing "research" on this topic, it was kind of fun seeing it all "connect".

The problem is, the picture is pretty ambiguous, and I'm sure you could say it supports just about any character if you reach far enough.
Though if KOS-MOS makes it in, I'd like to say thAT I KNEW IT ALL ALONG, THE SIGNS WERE SO OBVIOUS!

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Edit: Forgot about Rare Replay
^ Pretty much this right here. Even without Rare Replay, there's enough to suggest that Microsoft would eventually re-release the first two games on their system later on if not today. My point still stands that four of the DLC characters so far (7 technically if you count Erdrick, Solo, and Eight) have their games accessible either in retail, or for download, be it on Nintendo Systems or elsewhere.

Unfortunately, KOS-MOS doesn't have that luxury with Xenosaga, and Project X Zone is just a crossover duology, so I don't think it counts. For all we know, her potential inclusion in spite of the above could suggest we'll get something Xenosaga-related in the future beyond just crossover cameos.

I don't think a character's appearance in Smash has to be linked to them having a new game coming up or re-releases, and even if their games aren't available currently doesn't change anything, it's not like the entire Smash community went and bought different consoles and games just for the newcomers.
Besides, I thought the idea of a Xenosaga remaster came from a while ago, perhaps when the "xeno" series weren't as "popular" as they are progressively becoming right now, especially with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (which has KOS-MOS mind you) and Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition.
Adding KOS-MOS in Smash could just be Sakurai's own choice, or Bandai Namco now sees an opportunity to see whether or not people would want to see a Xenosaga remaster depending on how her addition in Smash is received and on how well the next Xenoblade games will do...
Oh, don't get me wrong. I would be equal parts excited and confused if we get her, but not any remakes as well. In essence, it would make her the first and only 3rd-Party inclusion in Smash to come from a relatively "dead" franchise, at least according to Namco's "profitability status". She'd be the odd one out, to the point that I honestly believe that Reimu has a far better shot than her atm, and she's an urban legend in limbo atm, what with the doujin leak and all.

It should also be worth noting that while none of the insiders want to comment further on Kosy, Verge also laid low on the disconfirmation spree since VGA 2019, which may suggest that they were expecting a character reveal as well, or because the Smash fanbase feels "lied" to and thus they feel anymore info would fall on deaf ears. I believe that KOS-MOS is trapped in unknown territory atm, partly due to false flagging, trolls, insider confusion, and the vid takedown.

I was gonna make a post about how the anniversary photo could be a tease for KOS-MOS, but after making a draft of the post, I felt too silly to go on (tbh, I feel silly just admitting I put in any effort in the first place >_>; ) but I'd like to add in some of the connections I found.
  • Daisy is using her peace sign taunt. KOS-MOS was built to create peace from the Gnosis. Also, the Cosmos flower can be a symbol of peace.
  • Not really connected to the photo, but on the topic of the meaning of the Cosmos flower, they can also be a symbol of wholeness. If KOS-MOS were to be fp5, she'd be the final character, making the pass whole.
Idk who decides the meaning of flower; I just googled "Cosmos flower meaning" and was led to this site, so I could just be citing a bunch of baloney.

And to clarify, I personally wouldn't put too much faith into thinking the picture has some hidden meaning, and believe this is just another situation of fans reading too much into things. Though I have to admit, after getting over (most of) the initial feeling of ridiculousness for doing "research" on this topic, it was kind of fun seeing it all "connect".

The problem is, the picture is pretty ambiguous, and I'm sure you could say it supports just about any character if you reach far enough.
Though if KOS-MOS makes it in, I'd like to say thAT I KNEW IT ALL ALONG, THE SIGNS WERE SO OBVIOUS!
This just feels like Waluigi/Skull Kid chairs all over again. It's Sakurai being Sakurai. Case in point:
Whatever "meaning" there is behind Daisy is nothing more than a Sakurai-grade ****post, like most of his photos. Bear in mind that this doesn't mean we can't get Kosy anyway. The only time something was ever hinted (if at all intended) was in the initial E3 Direct for Ultimate, where barrels were present in the back of Sakurai's presentation. Those pseudo-hinted at K.Rool in the August Direct, which led some fans to believe that the same room he broadcasted in (with different furniture mind you) would hint at the next character as well.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
This just feels like Waluigi/Skull Kid chairs all over again. It's Sakurai being Sakurai. Case in point:
Whatever "meaning" there is behind Daisy is nothing more than a Sakurai-grade ****post, like most of his photos. Bear in mind that this doesn't mean we can't get Kosy anyway. The only time something was ever hinted (if at all intended) was in the initial E3 Direct for Ultimate, where barrels were present in the back of Sakurai's presentation. Those pseudo-hinted at K.Rool in the August Direct, which led some fans to believe that the same room he broadcasted in (with different furniture mind you) would hint at the next character as well.
Look! It's Mewtwo looking at wireframe Little Mac! Melee Wireframes confirmed for DLC! :4pacman:

FightingGhost73

Smash Cadet

Honestly i wouldnt really consider the anniversary pic a stretch, the Chair theory was a big reach, personally i thought it was nonsense (which it was) but the Daisy pic just feels weird, they could have chosen not to have Daisy in the pic at all yet they chose her in particular to be in it with Mario and all the DLC characters up to date, it just seems odd...

Zebulun

Smash Rookie
Honestly i wouldnt really consider the anniversary pic a stretch, the Chair theory was a big reach, personally i thought it was nonsense (which it was) but the Daisy pic just feels weird, they could have chosen not to have Daisy in the pic at all yet they chose her in particular to be in it with Mario and all the DLC characters up to date, it just seems odd...
I agree that Daisy seems out of place, but there's no real reason to believe it's anything more than someone's creative decision. I guess it's something that can be kept in the back of the mind, but out of caution, I wouldn't take it too seriously, although I'm sure being cautious about these kinds of things is common knowledge by now...

MattX20

Smash Hero
Even though the remaster was cancelled, I'm not entirely convinced she's out just yet. The fact that the Smash Bros Kos-Moss mod was removed is still eyebrow raising given the timing of it, even if the claim was for "Mario Kart" content. Apart from Lloyd, she's by far the most likely character from Bandai Namco

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Even though the remaster was cancelled, I'm not entirely convinced she's out just yet. The fact that the Smash Bros Kos-Moss mod was removed is still eyebrow raising given the timing of it, even if the claim was for "Mario Kart" content. Apart from Lloyd, she's by far the most likely character from Bandai Namco
I agree. If the next Namco rep isn't Lloyd than I definitely think it's KOS-MOS. Either of them is going to happen one way or the other.

D

Deleted member

Then again, you had the suspicions with the Undertale music removal and we got the Sans costume.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Then again, you had the suspicions with the Undertale music removal and we got the Sans costume.
On the other hand, Banjo stuff got removed as well. If those were legitimate takedowns by Nintendo and not false flags that coincidentally ended up being truer than the trolls intended, then it's possible her mod takedown is legit. Not betting on it though.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
On the other hand, Banjo stuff got removed as well. If those were legitimate takedowns by Nintendo and not false flags that coincidentally ended up being truer than the trolls intended, then it's possible her mod takedown is legit. Not betting on it though.
People also need to remember that Nintendo have been pretty trigger happy with the copyright takedowns ever since the Smash Bros Ultimate leaks. They'll take down anything that is even slightly a threat now especially after the Sword/Shield round. Annoys the crap out of me admittedly.

Last edited:

Natlo

Smash Cadet
I'd say the biggest hit against KOS-MOS is the profitability analysis. Not what it says (which is bad), but the fact that they did it. They cost money, so anyone performing one would need to be fully informed of relevant information like a cameo in a major game. Unless they were cool giving that sort of information to a group of people who are usually outsourced, they'd likely want to do the analysis after the reveal.

Or Harada is lying, whichever.

D

Deleted member

On the other hand, Banjo stuff got removed as well. If those were legitimate takedowns by Nintendo and not false flags that coincidentally endakeed up being truer than the trolls intended, then it's possible her mod takedown is legit. Not betting on it though.
Though...considering the timing and placement of the mod takedown, I'd doubt it.

I'd say the biggest hit against KOS-MOS is the profitability analysis. Not what it says (which is bad), but the fact that they did it. They cost money, so anyone performing one would need to be fully informed of relevant information like a cameo in a major game. Unless they were cool giving that sort of information to a group of people who are usually outsourced, they'd likely want to do the analysis after the reveal.

Or Harada is lying, whichever.
You could argue with the entire BK situation tho, but it's hard considering that said character is profitable enough.

Based God Harada is always the hypesetter. I mean, he gave this kind of response to said game, meaning that it is in the discussion board for sometime.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Though...considering the timing and placement of the mod takedown, I'd doubt it.

You could argue with the entire BK situation tho, but it's hard considering that said character is profitable enough.

Based God Harada is always the hypesetter. I mean, he gave this kind of response to said game, meaning that it is in the discussion board for sometime.
IIRC, video takedowns apparently take a long time to happen, and the takedown the night before VGA 2019 was purely coincidental. I'd imagine you'd need a lot of authoritative power to issue an immediate takedown, which I could see Nintendo doing, but we don't know if it was reported by a nobody, or Nintendo stepped in themselves unprovoked.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm curious tho: When did the Undertale and BK music takedowns happen? Just so I can trace them into the direct correlation of the reveal dates.

the unholy Grail

Smash Apprentice
So I've been going around the internet and I keep seeing something about an "Abel" leak??? does anyone want to clarify what that's all about?

Destinylegend

Smash Cadet
NNID
Destinylegend
3DS FC
2122-6400-3417
So I've been going around the internet and I keep seeing something about an "Abel" leak??? does anyone want to clarify what that's all about?
All I know is someone on twitter, not remembering name sorry, said his "source" told them the codename was "Abel" but wasn't sure who it could be at the time, said could be Master Cheif or KOS-MOS, but I only saw the statement from someone who retweeted it, but not really sure who the person is, so didn't really look into it, that's all I know about it. I didn't screenshot leak, but can look for it

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
All I know is someone on twitter, not remembering name sorry, said his "source" told them the codename was "Abel" but wasn't sure who it could be at the time, said could be Master Cheif or KOS-MOS, but I only saw the statement from someone who retweeted it, but not really sure who the person is, so didn't really look into it, that's all I know about it. I didn't screenshot leak, but can look for it
Please do

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
It would be funny if the word "Abel" is a play on "Cain and Abel", which happens to be the sort of relationship you could attribute to KOS-MOS and T-elos. It's also another biblical reference in and of itself. I feel like the same could apply to Dante though, since he has that connection to Vergil as well.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It would be funny if the word "Abel" is a play on "Cain and Abel", which happens to be the sort of relationship you could attribute to KOS-MOS and T-elos. It's also another biblical reference in and of itself. I feel like the same could apply to Dante though, since he has that connection to Vergil as well.
isn't there a Xenogears/Xenosaga character named Abel too?

the unholy Grail

Smash Apprentice
Found him. twitter user is @Brandonkirkall2. judging by the way he talks it sounds like he is a leaker. Though whether he's legit or not remains to be seen.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I...think so? I've mentioned beforehand that I have not played through the series before, so don't take my word as gospel for anything. I'll always put up a disclaimer for those things. As far as the name familiarity goes, the only character that comes to mind is Albedo, which sounds sorta like Abel. Or maybe there is an Abel. I can't remember.

Destinylegend

Smash Cadet
NNID
Destinylegend
3DS FC
2122-6400-3417
Yeah, that's him, sorry, was trying to find a way to do things on phone, and I suck at using it apparently, lol, but yeah, that's the name, he says several things related to it, but never heard of the guy before, so don't know how legitimate it is.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Destinylegend

Smash Cadet
NNID
Destinylegend
3DS FC
2122-6400-3417
There is a character in Xenosaga named Abel, trying to remember if he showed up before 3, but I think 3 was where he was most prominent, but not really a fighter or anything, but important to the story.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
There is a character in Xenosaga named Abel, trying to remember if he showed up before 3, but I think 3 was where he was most prominent, but not really a fighter or anything, but important to the story.
welp there it is

it's 100% KOS-MOS now, no way would they use that name without association, like Brave is a translation of Yuusha for Hero and Dolly for Terry came from the train dollies his home stage consisted of in Fatal Fury

pack it up

D

Deleted member

welp there it is

it's 100% KOS-MOS now, no way would they use that name without association, like Brave is a translation of Yuusha for Hero and Dolly for Terry came from the train dollies his home stage consisted of in Fatal Fury

pack it up
I hardly would consider it a lock.

It's Abel from FE, duh!

But uh did this person leak anything significant before?
What I was planning to say.

What if it's Abel from SFIV?

Point is, general names don't always point to a specific character and anyone else can use said name.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
This is interesting and all, but I have to say I'll believe it when I see it. I have no idea who this person is, though to be fair I don't dabble in that stuff much.

the unholy Grail

Smash Apprentice
Well...considering the fact that he only recently made a twitter (start of the new decade.) and the fact that we don't know if he's gotten past information correct I'm starting to believe this dude is full of **** and is just another fake KOS-MOS leaker troll/hater to try and pull us into his sick joke... :/

Last edited:
Top Bottom