• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KoreanDJ FTW

hoopspr226

Smash Journeyman
KDJ just won the Nintendo Brawl release tournament in Boston while using Sheik.

Sheik = not so nerfed after all?

theGreatDekuTree

Smash Journeyman
shiek=....
WAIT.
they already are having release tourneys in boston?
thats a crock of BS, why not in NY?

hoopspr226

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo is having a series of tournaments held throughout the country. There was already one in San Francisco and one in LA (if I'm not mistaken).

The timing of the tournaments are staggered... The California ones happened a few weeks ago, the Boston one pretty recently, and the NY one is happening on March 8th.

I agree with you though... NY got screwed with a lame tournament date that's right before the official release anyway.

dirty1

Smash Cadet
KDJ...

you the man. Ill beat you with shiek one day though but congrats for showing ppl shiek still rocks.

Kricu

Smash Journeyman
way to prove to the world that Sheik still owns. Just wondering what fighting style/ techniques were used?

Tristan_win

Not dead.
KoreanDJ if you can see this message let me just say one thing,

Thank you.

Hopefully this event will help persuade people to not avoid Sheik so avidly in future tournament play

-dMT-

Smash Lord
KDJ won the entire championship. He played the NYC champion in the finals, and won. Was a crazy match, and believe it or not his sheik was much better than in that video.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
He has more vids of his Sheik against Nuro.
The Sheik vs Pit match is pretty sweet.

Anyways, Sheik is was obviously nerfed, just like basically everyone else who was on the top (cept like, Marth and Falco). But like Fox, she is still a very SOLID character and MORE THEN usable for competitive play. That being said, she is now where as nerfed as IC, Peach, and CFalcon.

Justice7541

Smash Apprentice
Eh, a Nintendo tourney? Other than that last match on Youtube, for all we know, he could have won every round by having a Smart Bomb spawn next to him, used it to simultaneously blow up his opponent and break a Smash Ball, used the Light Arrow to KO his opponent while they were still being burned by the SBomb, then had an Assist Trophy spawn Lyn for him while his opponent was respawning.

Of course, he is still good. Still, stupid tournaments are stupid.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
for all we know, he could have won every round by having a Smart Bomb spawn next to him, used it to simultaneously blow up his opponent and break a Smash Ball, used the Light Arrow to KO his opponent while they were still being burned by the SBomb, then had an Assist Trophy spawn Lyn for him while his opponent was respawning.
I'm pretty sure that would all happen only because he's KoreanDJ.

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
What's the point of playing a game if you're going to define it through a view that strips it of its most iconic qualities?

SSBB can't even hold a candle to serious fighter games. What separates it from said games is its uniqueness in the form of variety and randomness.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
It's not unique, it's dumb. Not everyone likes losing because of luck, especially competitive players (who go on this site).

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
It's not unique, it's dumb. Not everyone likes losing because of luck, especially competitive players (who go on this site).
"Competitive" players who compete on a game that doesn't have the level of intricacy that some truly competitive fighter games have.

Dissing Nintendo for basing their tournaments on the complete representation of the game instead of an isolated part of the game to satisfy a rather narrow and misplaced demographic seems disingenuous at best.

There are plenty of games not built around randomness; why try to force tournament designers to put out SSBB tournaments without one of the primary elements with which it was designed? Just play another game if this aspect bothers you too much. Besides, it's not as if tournaments banning items and certain stages are lacking, anyways.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Dissing Nintendo for basing their tournaments on the complete representation of the game instead of an isolated part of the game to satisfy a rather narrow and misplaced demographic seems disingenuous at best.
You don't seem to know much about competitive gaming in general...do you? If you're going to be on smashboards, at least be aware about what the competitive scene for this game series has been for the past like...6 years?
There are plenty of games not built around randomness; why try to force tournament designers to put out SSBB tournaments without one of the primary elements with which it was designed?
Because losing by luck isn't fun when money is on the line lol
Also, tournament designers have already banned items from tournament play...
I mean, I can only assume you mean Nintendo's tournaments, but they aren't even considered the least bit competitive, simply a joke for free prizes (just like how it was in Melee).
Also, don't expect to see many Nintendo tournaments in general (just like Melee), so the majority of tournaments will be hosted by those who are aware of the competitive scene that has been existent for years.
The most common rule???? NO items.
Just play another game if this aspect bothers you too much.
.......nah..........I'd rather just go to the "none" button under items.
Also, it doesn't bother me too much since competitive tournaments have and will continue to ban items lol.

Items are fun casually, but no fun when you're actually trying to win with your own skill.

FadingWings

Smash Cadet
Wow every Lucas is the same.Every time me and my friends play, one will be Lucas and all he uses is,B moves,Usmash,and SideSmash.How cheap and boring .

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
You don't seem to know much about competitive gaming in general...do you? If you're going to be on smashboards, at least be aware about what the competitive scene for this game series has been for the past like...6 years?

Because losing by luck isn't fun when money is on the line lol
Also, tournament designers have already banned items from tournament play...
I mean, I can only assume you mean Nintendo's tournaments, but they aren't even considered the least bit competitive, simply a joke for free prizes (just like how it was in Melee).
Also, don't expect to see many Nintendo tournaments in general (just like Melee), so the majority of tournaments will be hosted by those who are aware of the competitive scene that has been existent for years.
The most common rule???? NO items.

.......nah..........I'd rather just go to the "none" button under items.
Also, it doesn't bother me too much since competitive tournaments have and will continue to ban items lol.

Items are fun casually, but no fun when you're actually trying to win with your own skill.
Hurray for selective quotes.

Just a few pointers:

- Just because a group of people have been playing competitively a game for 6 year does not mean the game was designed to be played competitively in the way this demographic has conceived of.

- Um, most forms of competitive entertainment that bear financial opportunities have quite a bit of luck factor involved, which hasn't stopped them from being fun. Poker, for example, still incorporates quite a bit of randomness in its tournaments.

- I already mentioned that most tournament designers ban items and stages, THUS making any whining concerning a minority of tournaments including luck quite the petulant behavior.

- Nobody is denying you that option. Commenting negatively on others' abilities because they won tourneys that included items, however, is rather lacking in taste.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Hurray for selective quotes.
Welcome to an internet forum!
- Just because a group of people have been playing competitively a game for 6 year does not mean the game was designed to be played competitively in the way this demographic has conceived of.
Well, obviously...actually, Sakurai says Smash was never meant to be competitive in general.
Plus, the simple reason why we HAVE TO TURN THEM OFF is good enough to see it was meant to be played with items, especially Brawl.
- Um, most forms of competitive entertainment that bear financial opportunities have quite a bit of luck factor involved, which hasn't stopped them from being fun. Poker, for example, still incorporates quite a bit of randomness in its tournaments.
Competitive entertainment =/= competitive gaming....you didn't read what I said. I actually had a feeling you would bring up poker, so I watched my wording.
Anyways, I can't find any competiive gaming community where luck/randomness is a common element for winning tournament sets. I want to say Pokemon...since moves like double team and 1 hit ko moves are based on luck...however they ban those moves from competitive play. Pros even give their pokemon high % of hitting moves instead of more powerful but less accurate moves to avoid random luck/misfortune.
- I already mentioned that most tournament designers ban items and stages, THUS making any whining concerning a minority of tournaments including luck quite the petulant behavior.
You:"Why try to force tournament designers to put out SSBB tournaments without one of the primary elements with which it was designed?"
- Nobody is denying you that option.
Me: Also, it doesn't bother me too much since competitive tournaments have and will continue to ban items lol.

Commenting negatively on others' abilities because they won tourneys that included items, however, is rather lacking in taste.[/QUOTE]
But it's still very reasonable, especially when more and more unfair items are made haha...."I lost 500 dollars to someone because he got a smash ball at the end".
Then again, I can only assume you haven't played Smash or any game in general competitively, but rather, always casually. Nothing wrong with that, but you wouldn't understand how important the removal of the slightlest luck from serious tournament sets is.
People flip out when they lose by a Peach pulling out a bomb or stickface :p

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
Welcome to an internet forum!
Selective as in showing only a part of my text that makes it seem as if I'm sending a different message from what was intended.

Well, obviously...actually, Sakurai says Smash was never meant to be competitive in general.
Plus, the simple reason why we HAVE TO TURN THEM OFF is good enough to see it was meant to be played with items, especially Brawl.
OK.

Competitive entertainment =/= competitive gaming....you didn't read what I said. I actually had a feeling you would bring up poker, so I watched my wording.
Anyways, I can't find any competiive gaming community where luck/randomness is a common element for winning tournament sets. I want to say Pokemon...since moves like double team and 1 hit ko moves are based on luck...however they ban those moves from competitive play. Pros even give their pokemon high % of hitting moves instead of more powerful but less accurate moves to avoid random luck/misfortune.
You interpret gaming solely on virtual terms. I assumed a broader definition of a game, one which happens to include all sorts of sports.

You:"Why try to force tournament designers to put out SSBB tournaments without one of the primary elements with which it was designed?"
Me: "Besides, it's not as if tournaments designed with items being banned are lacking"

I mentioned that there are alternatives which also happen to be the majority. That's why I think the complaints about a different yet rather rare tournament that include items are asinine.

But it's still very reasonable, especially when more and more unfair items are made haha...."I lost 500 dollars to someone because he got a smash ball at the end".
Then again, I can only assume you haven't played Smash or any game in general competitively, but rather, always casually. Nothing wrong with that, but you wouldn't understand how important the removal of the slightlest luck from serious tournament sets is.
People flip out when they lose by a Peach pulling out a bomb or stickface :p
*Meant to be humorous* Actually, people would be hard-pressed to ***** about Peach's wonder-kills considering she's been nerfed into oblivion.

Perhaps I don't take it so hard because I go with the mindset that randomness can be part of the game. I'm aware of the risks I'm taking. Nevertheless, I think I can empathize with those less comfortable, as we humans often prefer certainty.

It all comes down to my issue with people allowing themselves to be blind-sided by the rare occasion that an item-including tourney is, trying to question KoreanDJ's ability-- which even with items can be shown to be impeccable by watching his gameplay and mastery of Sheik play-- just because he got a kill at the end with a Smash attack, a kill that was certain even without getting a Smash Ball.

disguy

Smash Cadet
That video made me wanna play as sheik again haha. I've moved on to sonic, but I still have a place for sheik.

Cervial

Smash Cadet
You interpret gaming solely on virtual terms. I assumed a broader definition of a game, one which happens to include all sorts of sports.
You did mention gambling, though, which is in itself luck. That's not quite the case with most games. <_>
Wow every Lucas is the same.

Every time me and my friends play, one will be Lucas and all he uses is,B moves,Usmash,and SideSmash.How cheap and boring .
Riiiight. >_>

Caracappa16

Smash Rookie
Selective as in showing only a part of my text that makes it seem as if I'm sending a different message from what was intended.

OK.

Me: "Besides, it's not as if tournaments designed with items being banned are lacking"

I mentioned that there are alternatives which also happen to be the majority. That's why I think the complaints about a different yet rather rare tournament that include items are asinine.

*Meant to be humorous* Actually, people would be hard-pressed to ***** about Peach's wonder-kills considering she's been nerfed into oblivion.

Perhaps I don't take it so hard because I go with the mindset that randomness can be part of the game. I'm aware of the risks I'm taking. Nevertheless, I think I can empathize with those less comfortable, as we humans often prefer certainty.

It all comes down to my issue with people allowing themselves to be blind-sided by the rare occasion that an item-including tourney is, trying to question KoreanDJ's ability-- which even with items can be shown to be impeccable by watching his gameplay and mastery of Sheik play-- just because he got a kill at the end with a Smash attack, a kill that was certain even without getting a Smash Ball.
Oh god another idiot who edits his posts in word and uses shft-f7 to try and look intelligent. Composing a sentance using "That's why I think " and "Just because a group of people have been playing competitively a game for 6 year" then tacking on a word you couldn't comprehend if I force fed you pig brains for a few years. Just stop posting for the love of god, you truelly give these forums a bad name.

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
Oh god another idiot who edits his posts in word and uses shft-f7 to try and look intelligent. Composing a sentance using "That's why I think " and "Just because a group of people have been playing competitively a game for 6 year" then tacking on a word you couldn't comprehend if I force fed you pig brains for a few years. Just stop posting for the love of god, you truelly give these forums a bad name.
"truelly"

GTFO

You should heed your own advice. Seriously, this was a dead horse; why the sudden necromancy?

Top Bottom