Know Your Moves Returns in a Big Way

kymridley.jpg


After putting the series on hiatus for over a year, RelaxAlax has returned with a new installment of Know Your Moves, this time focusing on Ridley. Unlike previous episodes, this one was produced in collaboration with Source Gaming, who will also be helping RelaxAlax with future videos in the series.


From cameos to boss battles, Ridley has been a fixture of the Super Smash Bros. series since its inception, but it took until Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for him to finally make his playable debut. This largely comes down to Masahiro Sakurai's confidence in his ability to translate the character to Smash. He had previously gone on record saying that the two things that make Ridley unique in his eyes, his size and his ability to fly freely, were near-impossible to build a balanced moveset around.

Now that we have a playable incarnation whose size has been toned down and who lacks free flight entirely, that raises the question of just how Ridley's moveset pays tribute to his source material without those aspects. Much of it comes down to his attacks, but Alax has given a full breakdown of every move that references Ridley's source material in some way.
 
Scribe

Comments

#4
It almost took ten minutes for it to finally getting into Ridley's moves. Am I the only one who skipped forward?
 
Last edited:
#5
Man, I can't help but feel like 80% of that video was meaningless fluff and the other 20% just did the same song and dance about how a character makes you feel like Ridley.
That’s pretty much every Alax video lol
 
#6
Finally
I can end you
Time to take you to
HELL


Relax Alax,
You act like you know characters so well
It isn’t funny


You killed mah nephew!
Know Your Moves is a ******* disgrace!
If you has last words
You can join in too!


Put your hands together
If you accept your fate
As we crush yo face
With oranges and grapes!

UH!

Someone should better get the reference
 
#8
Man, I can't help but feel like 80% of that video was meaningless fluff and the other 20% just did the same song and dance about how a character makes you feel like Ridley.
So many of these essay-type videos just go through the motions until they hit the obligatory makes you feel like x/it represents us, the players!/sentimental Sakurai shtick. Especially obvious when dealing with a series with limited lore like Metroid, as they have to become wiki scholars to back up their formula. “Ridley - or Geoform 187 as he is otherwise known - is actually quite intelligent!". It all feels very insincere.
 
Top