• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kloopa Klaw Suicide: Legit Edgeguard?

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
So I was playing a bunch of friendlies as Bowser (I quit Brawl tournaments, but I was at a joint melee/brawl tourney and played a bunch of brawl friendlies as Bowser) and something occured to me that could help with a lot of matchups. Whenever you are at high percent and the opponent is at decent or low percent, can't you force a kloopa klaw suicide with some aggressive edgeguarding? This work son characters with predictable recoveries.. for example, Snake. If you knock him out pretty far, why not Koopa Klaw him way out there? (Just wait for the air dodge first) You'll be far enough out of the stage that even if he DI's properly you will suicide with him, basically ensuring yourself to win the match because suddenly you are a full stock ahead if you did it at the right percentages. Just something to think about, it could give Bowser mains a good edge if you actively try to use this as an edgeguard.

(The best way to do is it so SAVE your jump in case you miss and have to recover)

The awesome part is that if you do it once, your opponent's gonna be SO scared recovery it might leave regular edgeguarding completely open.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Your opponent has to have a far, far away recovery for that. And one that is Klawable. Like Snake. And. Sonic MAYBE. And. ? Can't bother thinking of more.

Bragi

Smash Apprentice
I always keep an eye out for this kind of thing. It's really a question of timing and recognizing the opportunity. It is really risky, though, so I wouldn't advise the wide-scale use of it. Thrown out every once in a while it can surprise an opponent and change the tenor of the match.

B!squick

Smash Master
Snake's easy enough to edge guard even without doing this and Snake generally has to be at high percents to get him off stage anyway.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Snake's easy enough to edge guard even without doing this and Snake generally has to be at high percents to get him off stage anyway.
Actually, If I had the chance to suicide and get a guaranteed win (and seeing how it's not too hard to pull on snake after a bit of practice...) or try to edgeguard a snake and possibly kill him, I would take the first.

As for getting snake off stage, I'm not really sure since I don't really face a good snake often.

-:bowser:Bowser King

B!squick

Smash Master
If it's for the win, sure, obviously, but I think he's talking about when you both still have stocks left. Like if you're both still on the first one and Snake gets you to a high percent really early and you knock him off stage at about 50.

Miles.

Smash Champion
I always try to play like that, I see the Klaw as one of Bowsers greatest strengths and I love when my friends I play with a lot call it gay since it is soo easy to land and to turn a match just like you describe.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
This thing does emotional damage that seriously makes people play worse - any suicide kill does. It's not just the damage and kill :) I agree that its not to be abused, and its somewhat risky, but just saying if the opportunity is there I think its a great one to take! If you keep your jump you should be able to avoid being edgeguarded coming back in the event that you miss.

I think it's good even if it's not for the win. If you are at 3 stocks like 200% and they are at 2 stocks 20%...its definitely worth the risk IMO. Even if you edgeguard normally, I don't think you will necessarily kill them at 20%, you know. It will be extremely tough for them to mentally overcome the fact that they were playing an even game and now they are one full stock behind and can't mess up once. It really hurts, at least it always hurt me when I got swallocided by DDD when I was at low percentage.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Hmmm.....

That's a good way to look at it. The risk is definitely worth taking in your scenario as even if you do mess up you CAN still get back to the stage. All that's lost is a chance to hit them off-stage, a risk worth taking,

Panix

Smash Ace
this is just being thought up now? I thought this was common knowledge.

Bowser kills one.
Bowser gets to high percent.
Bowser Klawcides.
Bowser is a stock ahead.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
this is just being thought up now? I thought this was common knowledge.

Bowser kills one.
Bowser gets to high percent.
Bowser Klawcides.
Bowser is a stock ahead.
Umm..we all know that.

Were discussing the usage of klaw as an edgeguarding move.

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
Bump.

Just thought I'd add something I tend to do which I haven't seen anyone who's good with Bowser replicate.

On many stages the edge isn't a 90 degree angle. You can actually pluck someone off the stage near the edge with your Side B and if you have enough forward momentum you will continue to slide under the lip of the stage on Final Destination, Castle Siege or Pokemon Stadium 1 (And I even once managed it on Smashville) before the move even begins and your opponent has any control on the direction Bowser moves in, so as Bowser begins to rise up his back goes into the bottom of the stage and he gains no vertical height at all. This means whoever gets caught by this if you become proficient at doing it will die regardless of percentage or DI every time. You can also manage to recover from a missed attempt if you still have your Jump left.

Top Bottom