• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's Brawl Moveset info !

Archenyte

Smash Journeyman
This thread made me so happy! =) Kirby is my favourite character in the whole smash brothers series and now I know he's gonna be awesome!

I've seen Kirby's u tilt in this video once and it was crazy fast but that was for those demo booths. It was like the speed of Kirby's jabs in melee. Did that change?

Wiwiweb

Smash Journeyman
Well, I got caught using too much the Stone against a Marth, and got punished for this. I got him the first few times but then he would shield when I would Stone him when he was waiting for me to fall. Good game dslow.

Remember kids, don't overdo the Stone when the effect of surprise is gone. Fast Fall Down Air is good and has much less lagg.

kenja0

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, I wonder how well Airdodges for Kirby will benefit him. I don't have access to my friend's game today. Wiwiweb, can you check that out?

Brainstorm Setups:
Running toward opponent that's running toward you, short hop + airdodge then b-air/AHam (Aerial Hammer).

Knocked in the air (more upward) and being appoarched for a combo, airdodge then Stone/d-air.

Opponent running toward you, short hop + airdodge going the same direction the enemy is going then AHam/f-air/Swallow (Especially near an edge)/Maybe Stone with that increased range I hear

Wiwiweb

Smash Journeyman
Well I'm not 100% sure, but I think the air dodge is too long to get through an opponent and then attack, like in your "running towards the enemy" example. I'll have to try, because that "short hop, air dodge, b-air" seems interesting.

Currently, I'm doing a reversal jump to quickly make a b-air when running. When you run, then jump and turn around at the same time, you keep moving in the same direction, while facing the other way.

Also, I did a Final Smash with Sonic's hat, and it disappeared during the animation (it came back after) ! Does that means only Snake's hat is special ?

Snake alone is special.

kenja0

Smash Apprentice
In Melee, I dash danced those short hopped b-airs; sometimes I didn't even have to b/c just doing the b-air and flying into the opponent was fun enough.
But you can change direction during a hop now? Sounds cool.

btw, in "Not a Tier List: Montage's Character ratings" ( http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=141632 ) could you post your full input on Kirby so we know how well he might be compared to others? He's the only one who has absolutely no info on x.x

Oh, another great idea. With the mechanic of decreased knockback (and damage), up-tilt / uair comboing could be actually be better.
And decreasing knockback may mean for grabs: chain!

Wiwiweb

Smash Journeyman
I've updated the first post with throws, info on Kirbycide, info on protecting yourself against Final Smashes with Stone, info about Swalowing items and Waddle Dees/Doos.

;)

This is beginning to become more like a guide than just an overview.

T_T

Smash Cadet
NNNNNNnnnnnnooooooOOOOooo!!!

The suicide cancel was so useful, and now it's gone. Spending all that time in melee in getting the timing down so that I could bring my accuracy on it up has been wasted :(
At least it seems that the new buffed kirby will be able to rely less on such tactics...

FRSHSONX

Smash Cadet
I hope they keep the taunt. My friend and I spammed Kirby's and C. Falcon's taunt, but my mom kicked us out of the house to play basketball. LOLZ.

good times

kenja0

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, the taunt is far less annoying than before.

The Aerial Hammer slows your desent at the beginning but let's you fall farther toward the end. I don't think it is better or worse than normal recovery options but allows for different flight pattern. It seems it can be used as a mindgame to avoid an otherwise sure hit w/o a jump which would be expected. For ex: You're falling diagonally and your enemy approaches and begins an aerial attack, but you use your AHam and your opponent misses the hit because you're directly above their hitbox. You won't hit them but you will avoid their attack.

2 new Combo Ideas:
F-Throw near stage edge> UpB enemy down to oblivion
Grab> Punch> Let escape> then one of two options:
1. Guard if enemy approaches>GHam/Grab
2. Short Hop/Jump if enemy tries to run> AHam

Wiwiweb

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, I wonder how well Airdodges for Kirby will benefit him. I don't have access to my friend's game today. Wiwiweb, can you check that out?

Brainstorm Setups:
Running toward opponent that's running toward you, short hop + airdodge then b-air/AHam (Aerial Hammer).

Knocked in the air (more upward) and being appoarched for a combo, airdodge then Stone/d-air.

Opponent running toward you, short hop + airdodge going the same direction the enemy is going then AHam/f-air/Swallow (Especially near an edge)/Maybe Stone with that increased range I hear
I tried running, short hopping then airdodge. You can't attack after that, because when you fall on the ground, you're still airdodging.

great work on the guide!! one question, did you consider diminished knockback on attacks while testing the killing potential? just want to make sure we're getting it right :)
I don't really get your point. I just tested all the attacks on an idle Sonic standing in the middle of Final Destination, and noted at which percentage the Sonic died, either from the sides or the top.
Are you talking about diminished knockback and damage of spammed moves ? If so, the kill percentages apply to a fully powered attack, because I tested it on training mode, and in this mode, attacks are always full power.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Good job on all the info, Wiwiweb. Lots of people appreciate helping them get info up quickly on Kirby. I'm going to be starting on my Kirby guide for a more in-depth review, but not until after my Brawl tournament this weekend. ^__^

Kirby Redux

Smash Journeyman
NOOOO! Just read the kirbycide section... Thats a shame that they die together now. Ah, well, i guess with the buff, Kirby wont need it as much, and itll still work if ur ahead in lives.

Smash Ninja

Smash Journeyman
Peacehaven, East Sussex, Good ol' England
THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG I have been looking for something like this EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOO much!!!!!

I only have one, very random, question:

- When you jump, could you arial-dodge an oncoming arial attack and then after the attcker passes you, hit them with a b-air/d-air? Its just something that I thought of doing... (not short-hopped, at a considerable height... either high above the stage, or as someone else is/you are recovering).

- Oh, and is his crouch still low enough to dodge lazers and other projectiles? Or is it higher now?

- ONE MORE THING... is there more or less lag on the beginning/end of the stone?

K, thats all, thanks a lot. You're awesome for doing this!!!!!!
Maybe people will start to take Kirbs a bit more seriously now! DOWN WITH THE SPACIES AND MARTHS!!!!!!!!!!!

Wiwiweb

Smash Journeyman
- Actually, I'm still used to play Brawl, so I don't airdodge often because I think it's going to make me lose my jumps. It's a bad habit I must lose, and I'll try to test what you said. i dont think b-air after airdodge is possible though, because the airdodge last too long.

- Yes, Kirby crouches low enough. However, Kirby can't crawl, so if your opponent is spamming projectiles (fox/falco) and you crouch, the game will stall ^^

- Less lagg at the beginning, but same lagg at the end. Some opponent are unaware that the stone has an area of effect when hitting the floor, so they wait for you to fall, just a step ahead of the point you will fall, and they still get hit ^^ But I wouldn't count on this after the first time.

kenja0

Smash Apprentice
I found out stone is breakable... but I don't know what character attacks can do it. All I know so far that Master Hand can punch it. However, I don't think you recieve damage, and your knockback depends on your damage with the attack you take.

Wiwiweb

Smash Journeyman
Stone was always breakable. It can only take around 30-40% damage before breaking (which is huge). That's why when you get a Zero Laser on a Stone, you still get half the attack.

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman
Find out what the point of Olimar Kirby is. I mean, Olimar's standard B is to pluck up Pikmin. Then all his other attacks would make use of them. What, then, would Olimar Kirby do?
Right after he plucks them he throws them. So its like a combination of pikmin pluck and pikmin throw.

kenja0

Smash Apprentice
Interesting, I've never been broken in Melee. I guess that's b/c Kirby was considered low tier (BAHZING!).
So what things can stone not defend against? Like which FS's (especially peach's), which items and attacks?

Wiwiweb

Smash Journeyman
I've changed the killing percentages. I redid them on a Mario instead of a Sonic, because Mario is more like the "standard" character.

Also, I found some bad news for Kirby's Final Smash and Kirbycide. The Final Smash can be avoided easily and the Kirbycides kills at the exact same moment (it goes to Sudden Death if it's the last life). Check the first post for more info.

kenja0

Smash Apprentice
Well, Kirby has more movement speed when the opponent is in his mouth, just time it correctly for a daring escape from oblivion!!

deadmon

Smash Cadet
Yep, he does a really small leap when he uses Stone on the floor, so it hurts whoever is beside him. Not really useful in my opinion however, but a nice bonus.

kenja0

Smash Apprentice
And I found a glitch that aids him really well with it... but I don't think it's repeatable.
Building a stage, I happened to make these pieces:
\
-
(Slant with a seperate tiny platform, shows up in the middle of a block on the stage builder map, not on bottom)
Using Kirby's Stone on the slant, he got stuck at the end and kept making the animation of hitting the ground (like 60 per second). Everyone who was near him got piles of damage and knockback. I'm not sure it happens using those same pieces, but it happens all the time on the stage I built with those two pieces.

graceofbass

Smash Cadet
Stone was always breakable. It can only take around 30-40% damage before breaking (which is huge). That's why when you get a Zero Laser on a Stone, you still get half the attack.
Interesting, I've never been broken in Melee. I guess that's b/c Kirby was considered low tier (BAHZING!).
So what things can stone not defend against? Like which FS's (especially peach's), which items and attacks?
I've never been broken in stone either, but I'm pretty sure anyone can grab Kirby while he's a stone, that was my biggest problem with that move. In Brawl though, he can get of out stone pretty quickly, so I was able to dodge some grabs. (Sorry if this is common knowledge and I'm wasting space. teh noob)

entrapment

Smash Apprentice
Thank you so much on the info... I'm glad kirby was buffed from melee but pretty much still plays like him compared to the 64 verison....well heres looking to a good year.

kenja0

Smash Apprentice
Oooh, I figured out how to use that glitch:
1. Get two slant left platforms connected to each other.
2. Get a middle platform / spring / whatever just so long as it doesn't connect to the slanted platform.
3. Stone on the slant
4. Profit!!!

\
.\
...-

Can someone confirm this please? :x

Wiwiweb

Smash Journeyman
Oooh, I figured out how to use that glitch:
1. Get two slant left platforms connected to each other.
2. Get a middle platform / spring / whatever just so long as it doesn't connect to the slanted platform.
3. Stone on the slant
4. Profit!!!

Can someone confirm this please? :x

Huh ? What is this supposed to do ? I'll try what you say.

kenja0

Smash Apprentice
I posted earlier about a glitch where Kirby gets stuck on the slant's edge and the game registers it as Kirby hitting the ground in rapid succession, hurting the enemy and knocking them back if they come into contact. I did it on two different areas and could do it multiple times, so it wasn't a fluke.

Wiwiweb

Smash Journeyman
You should be more precise about how to build the stage to make this glitch, because I couldn't do it.

kenja0

Smash Apprentice
Let's see...
1. Background was Mountains
2. Biggest stage size
3. Two left slants (passably) connected diagonally \
4. Use a spring / or a passable - on the same diagonal line
It looks like this: ( . = spaces)

\..
.\.
..-

That's all I can note.

Scarlet Wyvern

Smash Rookie
I have a question, but I thought it best not to make a new thread. I hope no one minds me asking here.

Does anyone know if Kirby gets Aura when he copies Lucario? As in, does Aura Sphere get larger the more damage Kirby has, or is it watered down like a lot of his other hats?

Wiwiweb

Smash Journeyman
From what I saw, Kirby's Aura Sphere is like Lucario's Aura Sphere when he has 0%. In other words, it's like the weakest version of Aura Sphere.

Here are precise stats from my Lucario Guide.

Uncharged : 5%. Charged : 13%, kills at 181%. When charging : 0.5% per hit, 7% per second.

Top Bottom