• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Kirby & The Amazing Cats

SmashConQueso

Smash Rookie
Hey, everybody. Are any other Kirby mains planning to enter UGC's Final Battle tournament in Los Angeles next month? I would love the chance to meet and play people with the same passion for the character.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Hey, everybody. Are any other Kirby mains planning to enter UGC's Final Battle tournament in Los Angeles next month? I would love the chance to meet and play people with the same passion for the character.
I may enter, although I'm not so sure as of now. I'm going to be a bit more busy than usual next month, as the new year starts up. It'd be pretty fun to go to, I'm sure! Hopefully I can arrange some time off so I can come.

I dunno though, we'll see.

:kirby:

tinkerttoy

Smash Rookie
NNID
tinkerttoy
3DS FC
5086-2892-6087
I got a question for y'all: What's your favorite taunt, and when do you like to use it?

I always start a match with Kirby's down taunt; I figure it's only appropriate to start the match with a friendly "Hi!". However, my favorite taunt is probably his side taunt, as it has panache and it's quick enough to semi-safely bait an opponent into a Kirbycide.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I like the spin and hi taunt. People seem to perceive my ducking when they die as taunting them but I just like the noise and how cute kirby is when he's squished down. I really dislike being inactive while waiting for a respawn.

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078
Sheesh I know people say to just grab characters like marth and lucina but I still think they're a terrible match up for Kirby. x_x I'm beating this guy with every character he picks but when he gets to shulk and ESPECIALLY marth/lucina I can't beat him with those specific characters. I hate characters with swords! Lol except Metaknight.

Also I think Hammer in the air is the good move... anyone use it?
Shulk I do struggle against, most because of his range. You think your safe and then this laser just extends out 30 feet and kills you.
"Oh."

I tend not to use the hammer in the air since it makes you fall a very long way and is easily airdodged. In the right situation I can see it being useful against big-hitbox characters though.

I've grown to really hate Toon Link
I love TL almost as Kirby! But I agree he is incredibly annoying, which is exactly why I like playing as him. Watching the fire die in (mean) people in the face of a hail of arrows, boomerangs and well-timed bombs holds a very special satisfaction for me.

Last edited:

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I hate playing people who are out to ruin other's enjoyment of a game. It makes me very likely to avoid playing that person or never play them again. I've already stopped playing a few people person because they've admitted that they loved ruining the other player's enjoyment and making it so they don't want to play the game anymore.

If playing a game can't be fun, then why should a person play it at all?

Fun is subjective, sure, but when people are out to make others miserable, that's not good!

(Note: Not saying that any of you do, but I've run into that type of person)

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
I think maining Kirby is fun but I like to see some point to it all and see some improvement. When I lose too many times to the same opponent without progress I tend to lose interest because not much is changing. I figure it'd be a better use of my time to just straight up go play a Kirby game or another game.

When I get frustrated in Smash I tend to switch to my other most favorite franchise besides Kirby, and that's Monster Hunter.

Sometimes it's good to take a break from things anyway.

Kind of like when you're an artist and you can't seem to draw anything you like so you take a break and come back.

I may enter, although I'm not so sure as of now. I'm going to be a bit more busy than usual next month, as the new year starts up. It'd be pretty fun to go to, I'm sure! Hopefully I can arrange some time off so I can come.

I dunno though, we'll see.

:kirby:
Do it! Do it! Do it! :D Well if you can that'd be awesome.

I actually don't ever taunt with Kirby online UNLESS the other player is playing Kirby himself or a Kirby character. Than I taunt at the beginning of the match haha.

Last edited:

Nerdicon

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if I'm alone on this, but I would totally love it if the alternate costumes for Kirby were the different hats, at least ice Kirby for obvious reasons

Triple R

Smash Lord
I hate playing people who are out to ruin other's enjoyment of a game. It makes me very likely to avoid playing that person or never play them again. I've already stopped playing a few people person because they've admitted that they loved ruining the other player's enjoyment and making it so they don't want to play the game anymore.

Fun is subjective, sure, but when people are out to make others miserable, that's not good!

Not going to lie. I'm guilty of this. At least I think I am. If I'm on FG and notice that I'm way better than someone, I will start to do things just to see if I can do them. Like win a match with only grabbing, pummeling, and throwing. Only win by punishing their rolls. Whatever else. Sometimes I'll just use hammer. You get the idea. Not sure if this counts has making the other person not have fun, but I gotta entertain myself somehow lol!

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
It's more fun to grab and just hold them, without pummeling or throwing. So disrespectful :x

Hammer flip charged is hilariously effective sometimes, when you jump at them as they're falling to force the airdodge, then follow their landing and hit them.

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078

I'm that guy. Kind of. I should have clarified before, but I like doing it to d*********. Y'know, the hyper-agressive Little Macs or Sonics who taunt you when you accidentally neck yourself. Or when you taunt a friendly "ok, let's get ready to rumble!" at the start of the match and they use the taunt's end lag to run in and try to kill you. Not cool, man. Not cool.
Those are the guys I'll pester until they give up in rage, because in my book they deserve every bit of it.

That said, when I'm in FG and someone accidentally kills themselves, I'll always jump off too. It's not fair to lose because you accidentally pressed side B instead of up or whatever. Sometimes people taunt a thankyou and that warms my heart a little.
Or when you do the "ok, let's fight taunt" and they're already coming at you, but they roll away until your taunt is over and you're ready to fight. They're good guys, and good fighters, and the people I'll always end up having 10+ matches with.

Also, does Little Mac have some kind of super armor on his smashes? Coz it seems like I often intercept a charging smash with a dair or fsmash and it damages him, but it doesn't stop the move's excecution and I die.

Last edited:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
I'm that guy. Kind of. I should have clarified before, but I like doing it to d*********. Y'know, the hyper-agressive Little Macs or Sonics who taunt you when you accidentally neck yourself. Or when you taunt a friendly "ok, let's get ready to rumble!" at the start of the match and they use the taunt's end lag to run in and try to kill you. Not cool, man. Not cool.
Those are the guys I'll pester until they give up in rage, because in my book they deserve every bit of it.

That said, when I'm in FG and someone accidentally kills themselves, I'll always jump off too. It's not fair to lose because you accidentally pressed side B instead of up or whatever. Sometimes people taunt a thankyou and that warms my heart a little.
Or when you do the "ok, let's fight taunt" and they're already coming at you, but they roll away until your taunt is over and you're ready to fight. They're good guys, and good fighters, and the people I'll always end up having 10+ matches with.

Also, does Little Mac have some kind of super armor on his smashes? Coz it seems like I often intercept a charging smash with a dair or fsmash and it damages him, but it doesn't stop the move's excecution and I die.
When they taunt immediately, I wait, but when they taunt a second or so after the match starts, it is often too late for me to pull back my attack. I feel rather guilty when that happens.

When playing with friends, I often SD unless I'm above 100%, which I fugure I'll die soon enough anyway. On FG, when I feel someone disrespects me, I will not. But if someone is good and they SD, I will to make it even.

And yes, Little Mac has super armor on his smashes. He can be grabbed out, but not attacked out.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Uh.

I just play the game with whatever character I like to play now. If I end beating a player using the same character, I know there's bound to be some frustration and continue playing until I lose or they give up. I feel like I get the middle finger every time they leave.

Getting beaten myself though? Idk.

Last edited:

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078
Or when you taunt a friendly "ok, let's get ready to rumble!" at the start of the match and they use the taunt's end lag to run in and try to kill you. Not cool, man. Not cool.
Well, I'm officially that guy now. Did it deliberately- but it doesn't really count since I did it to a Sonic; as we all know, playing as Sonic automatically makes you deserve any dirty tactics you receive.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I think I made a little mac rage in for the other day. He kept trying to hit me, but I I kept dodging every attack of his and then walked away to attack another player, but he kept trying to follow me though out the match. This was after destroying him in a previous match on Luigi's mansion. I don't play for glory anymore, I play in "for fun."

There was also a Toon Link there, but they weren't rage inducing.

Last edited:

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078
I really want to play in "For Fun" (lots more..well...fun...) but it's just way too laggy. My connection can handle FG pretty ok so I just do that

tinkerttoy

Smash Rookie
NNID
tinkerttoy
3DS FC
5086-2892-6087
I really want to play in "For Fun" (lots more..well...fun...) but it's just way too laggy. My connection can handle FG pretty ok so I just do that
Yeah. I'd say the lag is intolerable, but I can tolerate it if the alternative is a few dozen palette swaps of Final Destination.

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078
Yeah. I'd say the lag is intolerable, but I can tolerate it if the alternative is a few dozen palette swaps of Final Destination.
Well I guess we look for different things in Smash. I personally love 1v1 no item final destination matches. Really ups the pressure and the thrill for me. I wouldn't call it "fun", though...

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Well I guess we look for different things in Smash. I personally love 1v1 no item final destination matches. Really ups the pressure and the thrill for me. I wouldn't call it "fun", though...
I like 1v1s too, but I also like to play with items. The problem is so many items in this game can kill you at suck low percents it's ridiculous. While I can normally adjust items, on For Fun you can't. If this was Brawl, I would play in For Fun more probably because of overall better item selection, but then again the lag...

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I like 1v1's but always on final destination is kind of boring. It also doesn't teach you how to fight with platforms and different stage layouts, which isn't good. Also gives some characters a clear advantage.

Saul222

Smash Rookie
I think Kirby is pretty good in 1-on-1 whit the copy ability. For example, If you are against a Wii Fit Trainer you can copy her ability and use it against her, or even better against shulk, you get the Monado Arts, i copied Marth once, i used b-reverse (Shield Breaker) Marth Shield broke, and well, free hammer right there.

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078
I think Kirby is pretty good in 1-on-1 whit the copy ability. For example, If you are against a Wii Fit Trainer you can copy her ability and use it against her, or even better against shulk, you get the Monado Arts, i copied Marth once, i used b-reverse (Shield Breaker) Marth Shield broke, and well, free hammer right there.
Copy's usefulness really depends on who you're fighting. I wouldn't bother copying Dedede for instance, or fox (in a 1v1). The best for me is Samus, since it gives Kirby a fantastic projectile and allows you to mix up his playstyle much more. Link and TL are also really good, as well as Shiek.

I like 1v1's but always on final destination is kind of boring. It also doesn't teach you how to fight with platforms and different stage layouts, which isn't good. Also gives some characters a clear advantage.
I feel like Kirby is mostly at home in the air, so the lack of platforms both helps and hinders that element to his playstyle in equal measure. I personally prefer no-platform levels because I like the simplicity. Big levels are my favourite (your Bridge of Eldin kind of stuff). You're right in that it doesn't help you with learning how to use platforms- but if all you play is "For Glory" anyway, that isn't likely to be a problem.

I like 1v1s too, but I also like to play with items. The problem is so many items in this game can kill you at suck low percents it's ridiculous. While I can normally adjust items, on For Fun you can't. If this was Brawl, I would play in For Fun more probably because of overall better item selection, but then again the lag...
I like items with matches with friends, but as soon as things get serious, items have no place in the match.
Also, I have an irrational hatred for Smash Balls, even in fun matches with mates. They just come in and disrupt the flow of everything; "I was going to do this, but now I have to chase the stupid ball to stop these guys getting it". One or two a match is okay but after 5 or 6 it gets pretty wearing.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
I like items with matches with friends, but as soon as things get serious, items have no place in the match.
Also, I have an irrational hatred for Smash Balls, even in fun matches with mates. They just come in and disrupt the flow of everything; "I was going to do this, but now I have to chase the stupid ball to stop these guys getting it". One or two a match is okay but after 5 or 6 it gets pretty wearing.
My friends hate items. However, I can get them to play a few matches with them in Brawl and hilarity ensures in most matches with items. But I can't seem to recreate the hilarity in 4 unless if I have explosives and soccer balls at high or something. Towards the end of my career with Brawl, I briefly considered making a montage of funny moments, except I couldn't collect moments with other people fast enough, Wi-Fi was down then, and I didn't have a capture card. I don't think I'm even gonna try in 4 honestly, but if anybody on this site wanted to, I wouldn't mind trying to contribute.

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I bought ultra street fighter 4 on PC about a week ago, I thought I should give a 2D fighting game a try since I've never played one more than a few minutes at a time. It's... hard. I have to press a lot of buttons and stick or dpad directions in very quick and specific orders on my PS3 controller :/ and the timings are all weird as heck. Does anybody here play street fighter? I was wondering what character I would like, I don't think Kirby's playstyle translates over into that game very well, but I feel like Makoto is a close enough comparison so I've been practicing her. No projectile, relatively slow (in some ways, fast in others) but once she gets in she does... things. If I can get button presses to work.
Anywho I thought practicing this game might improve my smash play somehow, maybe get me better at reading, or improve my reaction time since the game feels generally faster, or something.

Also I canceled my apex registration for reasons, unfortunately. It's fine though, the ruleset kind of sucks (and the fact that Brawl exists/has more stocks is fraudulent) and I'm not good enough to make an impact yet. I need to win some locals before I can consider something like that.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Oh nice! Good Luck with USF4.Hmm.. characters similar to Kirby (no projectile, relatively slow, low status) Makoto seems like a nice fit but really powerful once she gets in. Try Abel (a few gapple moves but require reads and need to get in), C.Viper (if you don't use her eye laser - she is all about attacks,cross-ups, mix ups), Guy (Despite his speed, he is usually play defensively because his moves are easly blockable) and Dudley (who rely on feints, ducking, and getting into the people heads to win).

Oh really? I am sure it other reasons but I, and many others in this board, believe you are more than good enough. Just playing Kirby will show people that Kirby is not bad as most people feel/contested. Kirby has potential and if you work hard at it, you will win. Players love those that work hard, making something that seems impossible possible and different perceptive than what they see/believe. I mean if you don't make it to the top, you at least get to experience Apex, battle other players outside your city, state and country, and meet some cool people. I know it is too late now but do not be so hard on yourself! Trust me, you got this! We all know you got this! Anyways, maybe next year you will develop more confidence.

Triple R

Smash Lord
I bought ultra street fighter 4 on PC about a week ago, I thought I should give a 2D fighting game a try since I've never played one more than a few minutes at a time. It's... hard. I have to press a lot of buttons and stick or dpad directions in very quick and specific orders on my PS3 controller :/ and the timings are all weird as heck. Does anybody here play street fighter? I was wondering what character I would like, I don't think Kirby's playstyle translates over into that game very well, but I feel like Makoto is a close enough comparison so I've been practicing her. No projectile, relatively slow (in some ways, fast in others) but once she gets in she does... things. If I can get button presses to work.
Anywho I thought practicing this game might improve my smash play somehow, maybe get me better at reading, or improve my reaction time since the game feels generally faster, or something.
I haven't played SF much lately, but I had about a year where I was kinda serious with it. I think SF being hard just translates to it being a different game. You have to get used to block strings and not trying to "shield grab" when something like that doesn't really exist. You learn things like option selects. Which are in Smash but not as practical. I think it's a very good way to look at Smash in a different light. I just play Ryu. I like my straight forward characters. In the end it's all kinda similar. Be patient, don't be reckless, punish mistakes optimally.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I have my good moments, but I'm too inconsistent. You're giving me too much credit.

What exactly are option selects? I can kind of guess what they are, but it's such a commonly used term that I haven't seen explained. I've read/watched a ton of SF guides already, so I can grasp a lot of the fundamentals, but actually memorizing them, learning 44 character movesets (it's like starting league of legends all over again, ugh) and applying them is going to take a long time. Especially learning how to press buttons properly :c

Guy looks kinda fun, Abel maybe.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Happy New Year Kirbys!

Heh first post of 2015 on the Kirby boards gg

Triple R

Smash Lord
What exactly are option selects? I can kind of guess what they are, but it's such a commonly used term that I haven't seen explained. I've read/watched a ton of SF guides already, so I can grasp a lot of the fundamentals, but actually memorizing them, learning 44 character movesets (it's like starting league of legends all over again, ugh) and applying them is going to take a long time. Especially learning how to press buttons properly :c

Guy looks kinda fun, Abel maybe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfAIOVnejdc - That's a video tutorial that goes over it.

It's basically just inputting multiple inputs to cover multiple options. So a different input will come out depending on what the opponent does.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
I bought a Kirby amiibo and preordered a King Dedede amiibo today.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Been playing Kirby's Dreamland 3 and Kirby Super Star with @ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima . I almost feel like a Kirby expert every time I explain or show silly glitches in the games to him.

Like the one where you throw "Marx" in KSS. Honestly I'm kind of bored and burned out of Smash.

Last edited:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Been playing Kirby's Dreamland 3 and Kirby Super Star with @ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima . I almost feel like a Kirby expert every time I explain or show silly glitches in the games to him.

Like the one where you throw "Marx" in KSS. Honestly I'm kind of bored and burned out of Smash.
I'm kind of burned out myself, save for when I play against friends or people from this site. My hype for Smash 4 was at its peak when I got 3DS.

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078
I still really like Smash, and want to improve as much as possible.

Interestingly, I like to play as Shiek, and Toon Link as well as Kirby. When I was playing only Shiek my win rate dropped from 60% to 45% after several hundred matches. Went back to Kirby and now it's slowly crawling back up again.

Wouldn't consider myself a "good" player, closer to "reasonably competent". But just interesting to note that despite all his numerous glaring flaws, I still do better with Kirby than with one of the top tier characters in the game. And I have much more fun doing it.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
Happy near year! Can't wait for Rainbow Curse and to get my first amiibo, King DeDeDe.

Top Bottom