• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Kirby & The Amazing Cats

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I made a post on reddit and got over 1000+ karma. Sweet sweet karma, @ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima . You missed your chance.

Aside from that, people are starting to look up for kirby. I'm still going to play some other characters. Marth and Lucina are turning out great for me, but marth in general just feels so good to space with. Take it as a caution, I would really like to play some of you right now for the sake of match-ups. That was my purpose from the start.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Bros, online is about to spoil me. I just comboed dair into Stone for a kill onstage. One of the sexiest things I've ever done, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work on a decent player irl.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Ah Snaps! He deliver. You deserve the internet!

Oh I see what you did. It makes sense now.

Last edited:

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
I love Kirby, but I feel like his games are a bit too bland... we need a real story that's going to go with the plot story, not a bunch of spin offs, sure the games they worked hard on are great and all, but... HD KIRBY ART STYLE LIKE RAYMAN LEGENDS PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
I love Kirby, but I feel like his games are a bit too bland... we need a real story that's going to go with the plot story, not a bunch of spin offs, sure the games they worked hard on are great and all, but... HD KIRBY ART STYLE LIKE RAYMAN LEGENDS PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
No.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
Besides the Kirby games that have different gameplay styles, those don't seem to be spin-offs to me.

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
Besides the Kirby games that have different gameplay styles, those don't seem to be spin-offs to me.
Most of them look like they are, not all of them, but I feel like they should really make a "big" game like how Zelda and Xenoblade Chronicles X is(lmao never going to happen), but the game itself feels too short, its like a timeline, they make a small Kirby game, then another year or 2 they make another one that's small, it would really bring up the sales if a giant Kirby game was actually made, traveling around the map as car Kirby, or dashing, or flying, a 3D model...

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
That's awesome, but I'm going to steal your thunder:

Here's Eevee hitting me with the guaranteed version of that (Silly untechable platform push thing):

http://i.imgur.com/vqSNaVF.gif

I am happy we live in a world where multiple people can claim to have landed Down Air to Stone.

______

Also, quick thing for any of you who may do teams: Did you know Kirby has little to no hurtbox on his down throw for most of it's duration? This means your partner can throw smashes at you while you Dthrow and you won't get hit (As long as you time it right, but the window to do this is very lenient).

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Too many games that look like spin offs..
Except they aren't.. Soo... Canvas Curse, Mass Attack, and Rainbow Curse are part of the main Kirby series of games. Epic Yarn is an odd one and more like an alternative universe thing... and games like Kirby's Pinball, Avalanche, and Block Ball are what I"d call spin offs.

I don't know how someone fathoms to call a game series so daring and willing to change up it's gameplay as "Bland".

Simply don't play them if that's the case. Either way I really wouldn't want to play a Rayman Kirby game. The error with this thinking is that Kirby isn't your run of the mill precision based platfomer such as Rayman, Mario, or DK. It's an entry level series and so it shifts it's focus on Kirby's abilities and is more of a action platformer. I feel like this makes the series stand out in the genre and honestly I wouldn't want the franchise to be converted into that as a fan of many years since Dreamland. To me that would be much more bland.

Last edited:

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
Except they aren't.. Soo... Canvas Curse, Mass Attack, and Rainbow Curse are part of the main Kirby series of games. Epic Yarn is an odd one and more like an alternative universe thing... and games like Kirby's Pinball, Avalanche, and Block Ball are what I"d call spin offs.

I don't know how someone fathoms to call a game series so daring and willing to change up it's gameplay as "Bland".

Simply don't play them if that's the case. Either way I really wouldn't want to play a Rayman Kirby game. The error with this thinking is that Kirby isn't your run of the mill precision based platfomer such as Rayman, Mario, or DK. It's an entry level series and so it shifts it's focus on Kirby's abilities and is more of a action platformer. I feel like this makes the series stand out in the genre and honestly I wouldn't want the franchise to be converted into that as a fan of many years since Dreamland. To me that would be much more bland.
Im not saying anything about Rayman, just about his art style(darker shadows and bigger lighting), no gameplay or anything. im not saying anything bad about Kirby, just feeling like his games should step up a little, but when Kirby games get announced, almost no excitement or anything like that, sure there is excitement, but very little, but when a Zelda or some other Nintendo game gets announced, the crowd goes wild. The Kirby series is perfect, but like I said, just saying they should step it up instead of materials.
But yeah, they should really make a 3D Kirby game or a new style instead of using different materials(yarn/clay/etc), but this is just my opinion, no need to argument it.

Also, im confused, when Kirby transforms into a car or tank, doesn't he need to suck up the character first to transform? Or is the Kirby series just not going into canon.

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Im not saying anything about Rayman, just about his art style(darker shadows and bigger lighting), no gameplay or anything. im not saying anything bad about Kirby, just feeling like his games should step up a little, but when Kirby games get announced, almost no excitement or anything like that, sure there is excitement, but very little, but when a Zelda or some other Nintendo game gets announced, the crowd goes wild.
People are just much more familiar with Zelda. Zelda also stars a typical dude protagonist with a sword and not a cute puffball. It generally has the formula that makes it more appealing to a greater mass of people both for it's image and because it more recognizable. Kirby games always come out at the end of a console's life, it's image is interpreted as being for a younger/newer audiences (which it is), and the games are entry level and that isn't what appeals to all veteran players even if it is an amazingly crafted entry level series.

I've loved Kirby for years but I understand he's never been a Zelda or Mario level icon. I don't think that negates much. I remember playing him in Smash 64 and friends of mine not knowing what game he was even from. I think more people know him by now but that nostalgia or interest in him might not be there as it is for Zelda or Mario. I don't think it negates the quality of this titles for what they are designed for. The games are short because it's suppose to be a game series that even a newbie can beat. So making it short is a design choice in regards to this goal by the creators. (though I personally put 60 hours into Triple Deluxe. There's plenty more gameplay to enjoy if you like collecting everything, beating your time, getting platinum, or enjoying the extra modes, etc)

It's just a bit odd when people say the Kirby games should be like other franchises who all have an entirely different goal than Kirby's unique one. There's not many well made stepping stone titles out there for gamers but precision platformers are a dime a dozen. Especially with many more decent ones coming from the indie scene. To want one of the few iconic entry level series to be like other games is a bit out there.

I wouldn't mind a longer Kirby game (more unlockable modes really) sure or a 3D platformer with the powers in a 3D setting. Seems doable and still in the line of the series and it's goal. However for the series to be like X or Y or Z game is... eh...

Last edited:

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
I TURNED THIS
INTO THIS
THE MAGIC AND THE MYSTERY

Crap I don't know how to do the Spoilers tag, also the ultra sword Kirby is supposed to be in that pose, both hands behind him while slanted and his right leg to be in front.

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
I may not play smash like I used to but I still want to support the Kirby mainers out there using him in tournaments and getting serious about learning all the ins and outs to improve their chances.

So here are some sweet tunes I found on the interwebs to pump you as you train. Go for the gold, guys!

Than the cool down

Do your best :)

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Holy Crap! Who are you? What are you?
I have to admit that was totally not on purpose. I didn't expect it to go that way. Also my opponent wasn't very good. Like... I'm not very good, but he was worse. Cool guy, though. Very persistent, which I respect the hell out of.

I still had to share the gif, though, because holy crap that's the best thing I've pulled off in the game bar none.

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
I have to admit that was totally not on purpose. I didn't expect it to go that way. Also my opponent wasn't very good. Like... I'm not very good, but he was worse. Cool guy, though. Very persistent, which I respect the hell out of.

I still had to share the gif, though, because holy crap that's the best thing I've pulled off in the game bar none.
Hmm... Nah you're batman, are you? Or Red Hood because you have Joker in your username. I am on to you, pal. You cannot fool me.

In all seriousness, Nice Combo!

Kirbymeister

Smash Cadet
NNID
hazzahbazzah
3DS FC
3823-8971-1294

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
EVO hype!
It's only about a 20 hour car drive away from me.

Also, this:
t1mmy said:
Hey guys, there's going to be a Smash 4 get together tonight at the local arcade. From what I hear there's going to be a livestream running, so I thought I'd drop the link here if anyone wants to watch:

twitch.tv/gamepadarena

It's the first day of the stream, so it should be fun and exciting. The events should get bigger and more hype as more people hear about the livestream.

Edit:
The doors open around 5pm tonight (Pacific Standard Time). The stream will be set up around that time so t0mmy and I will definitely be playing there playing, if anything. I'm guessing the other local players will start showing up around 6 or 7.

If any of you show up to the stream early, we could broadcast some online friendlies. :)

Last edited:

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
FINALLY!
I've been thinking about a 3D Kirby game for quite some time.
why? because HAL nearly made one. it was planned for the Gamecube, but scrapped after a short time in development.
this is the only image I've found of it:
http://bulk.destructoid.com/ul/user/1/141380-225364-kirby3dpng-620x.jpg
That looks amazing AF

Whoever wants to represent kirby for evo, please stand up.
I hope a Kirby experienced Kirby player comes in, or Poyo, hes the only Kirby I've seen in clash tournaments lmao

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Ah man. The stream were not archived.
Aw, that's sad. I would have loved to have gone back and watched that again.

Funny story: someone came by right when they started setting up and tried to claim the area for themselves to play a board game. XD

The stream was a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to next week's games.

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Aw, that's sad. I would have loved to have gone back and watched that again.

Funny story: someone came by right when they started setting up and tried to claim the area for themselves to play a board game. XD

The stream was a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to next week's games.
Yeah, I missed most of it and tail end of the tournament. You have a really good Swordfighter. I didn't know you can link Fair-FastFall-USmash together. I was wondering if I can study your matches and post them on the Swordfighter thread. /tangent aside

But overall, that was fun to watch. I look forward for more streaming!

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
You have a really good Swordfighter. I didn't know you can link Fair-FastFall-USmash together. I was wondering if I can study your matches and post them on the Swordfighter thread. /tangent aside

But overall, that was fun to watch. I look forward for more streaming!
Thanks for the compliment, and do what you want with my matches (Swrodsman's meta could definitely use the help). I sort of feel like my Kirby skills translate over to Swordfighter somehow. Maybe it's the triple-hit F-air, the awkward N-air, and how important it is to get good reads to do the most mundane of things.

Next week's stream will bound to have even more excitement and fun. I hope to see you there.

LousyTactician

There's a red door and I want it painted pink
FINALLY!
I've been thinking about a 3D Kirby game for quite some time.
why? because HAL nearly made one. it was planned for the Gamecube, but scrapped after a short time in development.
this is the only image I've found of it:
http://bulk.destructoid.com/ul/user/1/141380-225364-kirby3dpng-620x.jpg
It's funny that Nintendo is often criticized for milking franchises, which admittedly isn't a completely unfounded claim. But when I see stuff like the fact that they cancelled THREE freaking Kirby games, because they didn't think they were up to fluff, I think, "If they are milking their properties they're at least making sure something polished is coming out of them".

Anyway, I'd love to see HAL take a crack at a 3D Kirby game. There are plenty of 3D platformers with an emphasis on power-ups, but I think they could do something special with Kirby's copy powers.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
At first I thought you meant Kirby's Tilt 'n Tumble 2 or the predecessor of Kirby's Air Ride (for the N64), but then I clicked on the link. I remember those games, and I was really looking forward to that 4-player Kirby game because it looked like a spiritual sequel to Super Star. I'm really happy the idea eventually made its way into Return to Dreamland, though.

Top Bottom